Author Topic: Family Feud 2021  (Read 18681 times)

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
Family Feud 2021
« on: February 23, 2021, 02:46:38 AM »
It's the most popular forum game about most popular answers! Just like a zombie, we're back from the dead, and no one saw it coming!

The Quizmaster account is always run by a normal forum member; it's merely to keep game-related private messages sorted apart from normal private messages.

How to play

• Anybody may play! Freely drop in and out after each round.
  • Look near the end of the thread for the most recent round.
  • Send your answers to the Quizmaster by private forum message.
  • As long as the Quizmaster hasn't announced the round is closed, you may change your answers by sending another private message with a new complete set of answers.
  • Your scores are tallied across all questions for the round. Highest total wins!
  • Questions may have Standard, Inverse or Special scoring. See below for descriptions of how each one works.
  • After 5-7 days, the Quizmaster will reveal and score everybody's answers. Until then, please don't discuss your secret answers.

Scoring - Standard Questions

The goal on standard questions is to have the same answer as as many other people as possible. It does not matter if your answer is actually valid or not.

For each answer, you get (number of people that gave your answer) / (number of people that gave the most popular answer). Example for "Name a pet" with 14 players:

5 players said "capybara": worth 5/5 points = 1 full point.
4 players said "cat": worth 4/5 points = 0.8 points.
3 players said "dog": worth 3/5 points = 0.6 points.
2 player said "truck": worth only 2/5 points. It does not matter that no one would actually have a truck as a "pet", only how many other people named the same answer.

Subclass rule: When all As are Bs, but not all Bs are As, then A and B are entirely separate answers. E.g., "oak" and "tree" are separate answers. It's part of the game to decide how specific you want to be. But synonyms are lumped together as one answer.

Scoring - Inverse Questions

The goal on inverse scoring questions is to have the rarest valid answer. It is customary for the Quizmaster to inform players if their inverse-scoring answers are invalid, and provide ample time for players to provide a new answer.

For each answer, you get (frequency of least-common valid answer that was given at least once) / (frequency of your answer) points, provided your answer is valid. Should your answer be invalid, it scores zero. Example for "Name a Lemmings 1 skill" with 14 players:

5 players said "builder": worth 2/5 points (least frequent valid answer was given twice) = 0.4 points.
3 players said "miner": worth 2/3 points = 0.666~ points.
3 players said "basher": worth 2/3 points = 0.666~ points.
2 players said "digger": worth 2/2 points = 1 full point.
1 player said "glider": worth nothing, as Glider is not an L1 skill.

It is important to note that in inverse-scoring questions, "backroute" type answers will generally be either deemed invalid, or treated as their closest valid equivalent. To continue the same example, "Exploder" would either be rejected or counted as the same thing as "Bomber", even though some ports genuinely do call it that.

Scoring - Special Questions

Special questions will have their own method of scoring, which will be described as part of the question.

Note that special questions are often less "questions" and more full-blown minigames.

-- mystery Quizmaster
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:38:43 PM by Quizmaster »

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2021
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 02:46:59 AM »
(This round is closed. Instead, look near the end of this thread for the current round!)

Without further ado, here are the questions for Round 1!

Standard-Scoring Questions
1. Name a level from DOS Lemmings (orig only) that requires saving 100%.
2. Name a pizza topping.
3. Name a chocolate bar.
4. Name a NeoLemmix level pack.
5. Name a forum game other than Family Feud.
6. Name a character from The Simpsons.
7. Name a brand that makes smartphones.
8. Name a device you might plug into your PC.
9. Name something you have eaten today.
10. Name a species of parrot.

Remember, for these questions, your goal is to get the most common answer. It does not matter if your answer is factually correct or not - though being factually correct usually helps.

Inverse-Scoring Questions
11. Name one of the eight planets in our Solar System.
12. Name one of the continents on Earth.
13. Name one of the ranks in Oh No! More Lemmings! (DOS version).
14. Name a former President of the USA.
15. Name one of the countries that make up the United Kingdom.

Remember, for these questions, your goal is to get the least common valid answer. Your answers must be factually correct / fit the question as appropriate.

Special-Scoring Questions
16. Guess how many people will enter this feud. Scoring:
  +1.0 if correct
  +0.5 if off by 1
  +0.0 if off by 2 or if you do not answer this question
  -0.5 if off by 3
  -1.0 if off by 4 or more

17. Guess what the highest score any player will have, excluding this question, will be. Scoring:
  +1.0 for any guess within 0.5 of the correct score
  +0.5 for any guess within 1.5 of the correct score
  +0.0 for all others or if you do not answer this question
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 02:22:45 AM by Simon »

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 05:58:53 PM »
This is a heads up that, as the pace of new entries has greatly slowed now, I will be wrapping this up and calculating the results in around 24 hours (give or take).

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »
This is a heads up that, as the pace of new entries has greatly slowed now, I will be wrapping this up and calculating the results in around 24 hours (give or take).
I hope I will be in time with my entry! (will make it in about 30 minutes) I will check the forum more often now that Family Feud is on again. :thumbsup:

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 10:57:46 PM »
I am closing entries at this point. Results will be calculated and posted shortly.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 12:10:13 AM »
Okay, so, here are the results! We had 11 entrants, including a couple of very last minute ones.

Note that I have rounded scores in this writeup, however, when adding scores together / comparing scores for the purpose of Question 17, I have used the unrounded values. I have attached the spreadsheet used to calculate the results if anyone wants to inspect these more closely (note that some cells are set to display rounded values, but this is just formatting and can be turned off so they display the full value).

I don't intend to host another round right away, PM an admin if you would like the password.

Standard Scoring Questions

Now Use Miners And Climbers (1pt) - Dullstar, Gronkling, namida, Proxima
We All Fall Down (1pt) - 607, Flopsy, Minim, Simon
No Added Colors Or Lemmings (0.5pt) - geoo, IchoTolot
It's Hero Time (0.25pt) - WillLem

2. Name a pizza topping.
Cheese (1pt) - Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, Minim, namida
Pepperoni (0.8pt) - Dullstar, Proxima, Simon, WillLem
Pineapple (0.2pt) - 607
Salami (0.2pt) - IchoTolot

3. Name a chocolate bar.
Mars (1pt) - Flopsy, geoo, Minim, namida, Proxima, WillLem
Milka (0.33~pt) - 607, IchoTolot
Hershey's (0.16~pt) - Dullstar
KitKat (0.16~pt) - Gronkling
Toblerone (0.16~pt) - Simon

Lemmings Redux (1pt) - Gronkling, namida, WillLem
Lemmings Reunion (0.66~pt) - Flopsy, Simon
Lemmings United (0.66~pt) - geoo, IchoTolot
Lemminas (0.33~pt) - Minim
Lemmings Plus (0.33~pt) - 607
Lemmings Plus I (0.33~pt) - Proxima
NeoLemmix Introduction Pack (0.33~pt) - Dullstar

Rectangles (1pt) - 607, Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, IchoTolot, namida, Proxima, Simon, WillLem
Corrupt-A-Wish (0.11~pt) - Dullstar
Zendo (0.11~pt) - Minim

One answer here was "Three Squares", but I could not find any possible game other than Rectangles that this could have been referencing.

Homer Simpson (1pt) - Dullstar, Flopsy, Gronkling, IchoTolot, Minim, namida, Simon
Bart Simpson(~0.57pt) - 607, geoo, Proxima, WillLem

Apple (1pt) - 607, Dullstar, Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, IchoTolot, Minim, WillLem
Samsung (~0.38pt) - namida, Proxima, Simon

Mouse (1pt) - Dullstar, Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, namida, Proxima, Simon, WillLem
Flash Drive (0.25pt) - IchoTolot, Minim
Keyboard (~0.13pt) - 607

Bread (1pt) - 607, geoo, IchoTolot, namida, Simon
Cereal (0.4pt) - Gronkling, WillLem
Pizza (0.4pt) - Dullstar, Flopsy
Breakfast (0.2pt) - Proxima
Crackers (0.2pt) - Minim

Cockatiel (1pt) - Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, namida, Proxima, WillLem
Parakeet (0.3~pt) - Dullstar, Minim
Cockatoo (0.16~pt) - IchoTolot
Green-Winged Macaw (0.16~pt) - Simon
Parrot (0.16~pt) - 607

Inverse Scoring Questions

Mars (1pt) - Gronkling
Mercury (0.5pt) - Dullstar, IchoTolot
Neptune (0.5pt) - Minim, namida
Jupiter (0.33~pt) - Flopsy, geoo, Proxima
Venus (0.33~pt) - 607, Simon, WillLem

Africa (1pt) - Minim
Australia (1pt) - WillLem
Europe (0.33~pt) - 607, Gronkling, IchoTolot
North America (0.33~pt) - geoo, namida, Simon
South America (0.33~pt) - Dullstar, Flopsy, Proxima

Only the "standard 7" were accepted here - ie: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica.

Havoc (1pt) - Minim, Simon
Tame (1pt) - 607, IchoTolot
Wicked (0.66~pt) - Dullstar, Proxima, WillLem
Crazy (0.5pt) - Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, namida

No one picked "Wild"!

George H W Bush (1pt) - namida
George W Bush (1pt) - Minim
Herbert Hoover (1pt) - geoo
James K Polk (1pt) - Proxima
Martin van Buren (1pt) - Dullstar
Rutherford B Hayes (1pt) - Simon
Zachary Taylor (1pt) - Gronkling
Grover Cleveland (0.5pt) - Flopsy, IchoTolot
Ronald Reagan (0.5pt) - 607, WillLem

England (1pt) - geoo, Minim
Wales (1pt) - 607, WillLem
Scotland (0.66~pt) - Gronkling, namida, Simon
Northern Ireland (0.5pt) - Dullstar, Flopsy, IchoTolot, Proxima

Special Scoring Questions

16. Guess how many people will enter this feud.

Correct answer was 11. No one got it exactly.

12 (0.5pt, off by 1) - geoo
10 (0.5pt, off by 1) - IchoTolot, Minim, namida, WillLem
9 (0pt, off by 2) - Gronkling
All others did not answer.

17. Guess what the highest score any player will have, excluding this question, will be.

The target was 12.875.

Off by less than 0.5; +1 point
- namida (12.4)

Off by more than 0.5 but less than 1.5; +0.5 points
- 607 (11.5)
- Minim (12.0)
- Simon (11.7)

Off by more than 1.5; no points
- Dullstar (42)
- Flopsy (9)
- geoo (9.2)
- Gronkling (26)
- IchoTolot (10)
- Proxima (9.5)
- WillLem (10)

Results

namida:     13.88
geoo:       12.40
Gronkling:  12.07
WillLem:    12.02
Minim:      11.73
Flopsy:     11.23
Simon:      11.01
Proxima:    10.11
IchoTolot:   9.45
607:         9.40
Dullstar:    9.14

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 06:03:53 AM »
Wow. I think that's the first time I've won a feud.

Regarding my answers,

Now Use Miners And Climbers (1pt) - Dullstar, Gronkling, namida, Proxima
My train of thought here was, there's two ways people might go about this one - the first 100% level in the game, or NACOL as the most popular level. But, NACOL being the best level is, while a widely shared opinion, not a universal one; NUMAC being the first 100% level in the game is objective fact, so it felt like the safer bet.

2. Name a pizza topping.
Cheese (1pt) - Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, Minim, namida
I'm actually surprised this answer wasn't more common. Cheese is the only topping I can think of that's on basically every pizza - "sauce" in general too, but subclass rule put me off picking that one.

3. Name a chocolate bar.
Mars (1pt) - Flopsy, geoo, Minim, namida, Proxima, WillLem
I came VERY close to not getting a good score on this one. I initially wanted to say Moro - I had no real train of thought on how to pick a "best" answer here so just went with my favorite. I changed my mind because I wasn't sure if Moro exists worldwide, while I was pretty sure that Mars does. (In case it doesn't - Moro and Mars are basically the same thing, just from different brands. Moro bars are slightly larger, that's the only real difference, and only slightly.) So ultimately, this one was a matter of luck.

Lemmings Redux (1pt) - Gronkling, namida, WillLem
Redux has shipped with NL for a long time. The only other pack to ship with NL is the intro pack, which hasn't done so for nearly as long. It seemed to me that this would naturally be the first pack most people think of. Also, interesting that Redux's author in turn named one of my packs. I did consider whether the Lemmings Plus series was notable enough to mention, but I predicted - correctly (if perhaps not right about why) - that no particular Lemmings Plus pack would get a high number of answers.

Rectangles (1pt) - 607, Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, IchoTolot, namida, Proxima, Simon, WillLem
It's the one that's been most active recently, although I didn't expect it to be nearly this popular as an answer.

Homer Simpson (1pt) - Dullstar, Flopsy, Gronkling, IchoTolot, Minim, namida, Simon
I correctly figured that Homer and Bart were the only real contenders here, beyond that I figured it was probably about 50/50 so I went with my favorite of the two.

Samsung (~0.38pt) - namida, Proxima, Simon
Ouch. Samsung may be more popular to actually buy nowdays, but seems Apple are still the one people first think of - something I guessed incorrectly about. This was very much a strategic answer; had I gone with a "name one I personally like", my answer would of course have been Xiaomi, and I would have gotten even less points (as would Proxima and Simon).

Mouse (1pt) - Dullstar, Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, namida, Proxima, Simon, WillLem
Seemed obvious - a mouse is the only device that almost every PC user is going to need to plug in at some point. Keyboards and monitors come built-in on laptops, after all. A mouse substitute does too, but an actual mouse doesn't. Flash drives are likely starting to become obsolete outside of tech support cases. Though I am surprised that keyboard was as rare as it was.

Bread (1pt) - 607, geoo, IchoTolot, namida, Simon
I wasn't sure, so I went with a factually correct answer that felt like it had the right degree of general-ness.

Cockatiel (1pt) - Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, namida, Proxima, WillLem
I guessed - correctly - that my regular photos / talking about cockatiels would strongly influence how the answers to this question turned out. I was surprised to see macaws, let alone a specific type of macaw, show up as an answer. (I wonder if Simon accidentally mistook this for an inverse scoring question?)

Neptune (0.5pt) - Minim, namida
I had a hunch that this might be a "lucky" answer. I was wrong.

North America (0.33~pt) - geoo, namida, Simon
My hunch here was that North America would feel too obvious to most of the other participants. It didn't work out well, either.

Crazy (0.5pt) - Flopsy, geoo, Gronkling, namida
Another one that was just an unlucky guess.

George H W Bush (1pt) - namida
My logic here was to go recent, but not too recent - I figured someone would probably name a really recent one like Obama or Trump as a reverse-psychology type "safe bet", but that most people would go to the very old ones and hope they don't get unlucky. Not sure if the other Bush is recent enough to count as that (or exactly what Minim's logic was in picking him), but maybe my logic was right on this one.

Scotland (0.66~pt) - Gronkling, namida, Simon
I felt this would feel like a "middle ground" option between England ("go for the obvious one and hope everyone else stayed away from it"), vs Northern Ireland or Wales which felt like the closest thing to "obscure" options. It seems like enough people felt it was a good middle ground, to actually make it one.

16. Guess how many people will enter this feud.
10 (0.5pt, off by 1) - IchoTolot, Minim, namida, WillLem
Lucky guess.

17. Guess what the highest score any player will have, excluding this question, will be.
Off by less than 0.5; +1 point
- namida (12.4)
From experience, there is always someone who somehow manages to get almost every question "right". It's not usually me, but I figured that 4 ~ 5 suboptimal answers would probably be the right ballpark for such a case.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 11:43:14 AM »
Thanks for the round! Notes from my entry:

1. We All Fall Down (1pt)
(Strong alternatives are No Added Colors or Hero Time, I have a hard time judging which of these would be stronger. Maybe many pepole have the same dilemma and thus go for this simple alternative, WAFD.)

2. Pepperoni (0.8pt)
In German, we don't differentiate between salami and pepperoni ("spicy salami") and pizza places just say salami. "Pepperoni" is even a false friend, it denotes chili peppers in German.

I had salami written first, then changed to pepperoni to internationalize. Didn't even think of cheese because it's on every pizza anyway. Most pizza places don't even list it on any given pizzza; at best, they have a general note that every pizza comes with cheese.

7. Samsung (~0.38pt)
(Apple is very tempting alternative. The Apple citizens diligently call their smartphones Iphones, thus the wording "smartphone" might shift majority away from the factually very sensible Apple. I bet that this will happen, although it's thin.)

10. Red-and-green macaw (Ara chloropterus) a.k.a. green-winged macaw (0.16~pt)
(Tempted to say just Ara, it really depends on whether people go by their guts and consider Ara a species or if they research for this.)

Ara is still what comes to my mind first, I deem it the stereotypical parrot. So large and beautiful.

12. Central America. If not allowed, North America. If not allowed, America.
(Depends on definition of continent; most likely, you use the definition that allows 7 continents with North/South America separately but no separate Central America, then Europe/Asia/Africa separately, Australia, Antarctica.)

14. Rutherford B. Hayes
(There are so many of them, we absolutely want the full 1 point here and it will be really bad luck if we hit 1/2)

16. No answer
(After such a long break, it feels probable to be off by 4 or more participants.)

I think I put 12 here first, then changed to no answer.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 11:49:38 AM by Simon »

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 03:51:33 PM »
Yay a :tal-bronze: medal for me

1 - I just went with the first one
2 - Went with the topping thats on every pizza
3 - Went with my favourite that's not UK-specific cos I don't know what's particularly more popular than others
4 - It's the most distinct one pre-loaded into NL
5 - Rectangles was the last thread before this
6 - They're like the main character who appears on everything
7 - Don't like apple but seems like most people know about iPhones most
8 - Just seemed like the most obvious
9 - Didn't really know a particularly common thing so I went with somethig I have every day
10 - Everybody loves namida's tiels

11 - Lucky random pick
12 - Originally went with Eurasia but it got rejected! So picked one at random and got unluckier
13 - Random pick, got unlucky
14 - There's enough old presidents that I just picked a random old one and confident enough I'd be the only one
15 - Random pick, got unlucky

16 - Seemed like a good number but not quite
17 - Probably should of thought this one out more :crylaugh: I just put in a score-like number

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 10:26:59 PM »
Standard Scoring Questions

(Points scored in brackets)

1. Now Use Miners And Climbers is the first to appear, and I was going to put that but then I figured It's Hero Time is one of the most popular 100%-ers. Should've gone with my first instinct, it seems! (0.25)

2. Again, I thought of putting cheese but then I thought it's not really a topping as such, it's an integral part of the "pizza", so I went with pepperoni, which is the most popular topping. (0.8)

3. Mars was simply the first chocolate bar I thought of so I put that. (1)

4. Lemmings Redux is the NeoLemmix level pack, let's face it. (1)

5. Like other people, I put Rectangles because it's the most recent to have been played (other than FF). (1)

6. It was either going to be Homer or Bart; Bart was the most popular when I was watching The Simpsons back in the 90s, but I guess Homer has outshined him since then. Lisa is my favourite character anyways, but certainly not the most popular! (0.57)

7. I have an Apple smartphone, so it made sense to put that. (1)

8. My mouse was the only device plugged into my PC at the time I did the quiz. (1)

9. I eat cereal every day. (0.4)

10. Namida recently told me that a cockatiel is a type of parrot, so I went with that :lemcat: (1)

Inverse Scoring Questions

11. I just went with Venus because it's my favourite planet, and I figured most people would pick Earth or Saturn; how wrong I was! (0.33)

12. I originally put Oceania, but was informed that this is actually a geopolitical region as opposed to a continent, so I changed it to Australia. (1)

13. This was really a 20% chance type of question, so I just went with Wicked because it's my favourite. (0.66)

14. I guess I should have Googled random obscure presidents nobody's heard of :crylaugh: (0.5)

15. I lived in Wales for a time, so chose this. (1)

Special Scoring Questions

16. Lucky guess. (0.5)

17. Unlucky guess. (0)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 05:48:50 AM »

For the next hoster (namida?), here is the default Quizmaster avatar. Use it as-is or customize. The space in the top right is especially popular to put stuff, but anything will work.

Attached archive holds all avatars that were on my hard disk: default, Akseli, ccx, Clam, geoo, Minim, NaOH, Simon, Steve.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 12:40:21 PM »
I spent about 2 minutes to submit my answers. I've already felt in previous rounds that lower effort might be correlated with higher success, so I just went with whatever came to mind first for most questions.

1. I would have picked the first 100% level if I had actually known what it was (couldn't be bothered to look it up), but as I didn't I picked whatever some other prominent level I could think of.
3. I have no idea what distinguishes Mars from other chocolate bars (KitKat, MilkyWay, Twix, Snickers, ...) to make it more popular, tbh. I used the fact that there was a question on planets later to feel better about my choice, but I'm surprised it's such a clear favourite.
7. I picked Apple because they monopolize the production chain so there is only one brand making iPhones, while there are multiple making Android phones, which I thought risks splitting the vote for those.

16. I didn't realize this question was optional, though I did have a good feeling about my guess at least.
17. I wanted to guess roughly 3/4 of the max score plus a bit (due to question 16), but I completely messed up and used 3/4 of 12 rather than 15 as a base... At least it didn't matter in the end.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 09:39:08 AM »
16. I didn't realize this question was optional, though I did have a good feeling about my guess at least.

Technically, all questions are optional.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 09:40:28 AM »
1. 1st 100% level.

2. I like pepperoni on pizza and it's also common

3. Hershey's was the first bar-shaped candy I thought of. Didn't really account for international popularity; I'm not sure I've ever seen a Mars bar and I'm not sure if they're actually available locally (I've heard of them, however), although now that I say this I'll probably start seeing them everywhere.

4. I thought about Redux, but ultimately decided to go with the Intro pack instead. Clearly, this was a mistake.

5. First one I thought of. I haven't really participated in the Rectangles game and haven't been following its progress, so I didn't think of it.

6. Figured it would be either Homer or Bart. 50/50 guess, got lucky.

7. Apple, for similar reasoning as geoo. Plus, Apple has a lot of brand recognition that many Android manufacturers don't - Samsung's probably the only one that comes close; Google has similar brand recognition to Apple, but while the Pixel line exists, their phones aren't really what the company is known for.

8. Figured it would be either keyboard or mouse. 50/50 guess, got lucky.

9. Pizza tastes good and is also popular.

10. Arbitrary choice. Had to use Wikipedia for a bit of help.

11. Mercury is small, and because of distance and/or proximity to the sun, people aren't really as interested in exploring it as they are Mars, so I figured people might not think of it first.
12. Provided 2 answers: At least according to Wikipedia, Zealandia is a "sunken continent". But I (correctly) figured this answer had a high probability of getting rejected, so I provided South America as a backup answer, since it doesn't really have as many influential nations as Europe/Asia/North America, and of the remaining continents, Africa gets a lot of attention, and Antarctica seemed too obvious a choice. Probably lots of other people had similar enough logic that this didn't really work out.

13. I remembered Tame/Crazy/Havoc off the top of my head, so I decided not to go with any of those. Unlucky 50/50 guess between Wild and Wicked.

14. I checked the list of US Presidents on Wikipedia, and found Martin van Buren, who I don't think I've ever heard of before. Even the Wikipedia article had a quote describing him as one of the most forgettable presidents.

15. I was hoping people would forget about Northern Ireland since it's not attached by land to the rest of it. Looks like everyone else had the same idea.

16. I thought answering this question would be too risky, since I figured the probability of choosing an answer worth negative points was higher than the probability of a positive or zero scoring answer.

17. I didn't really feel like spending much time on this one since I figured I'd be unlikely to get a correct answer anyway, and there wasn't any penalty for getting it wrong, so I didn't actually check the specifics of how the points were tabulated. If I had done so I would have realized such a high score wasn't actually possible, but since I didn't check the specifics I was unaware of the fact that the maximum possible score for any particular question was 1.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 12:08:10 PM »
1. Oh, nice! I'm glad that We All Fall Down was a good pick.
2. I am surprised to see that nobody else picked Pineapple! It certainly does seem to be the most talked about pizza topping. :P Did anyone else consider it? I'm sorry for Ichotolot, fallen to the subclass rule...
3. Excuse me? I think I don't understand this question. Ah, you were looking for brands?... I thought the available options were a superclass of dark, milk, white and caramel sea salt... so I wrote milk, as that seems to be the most commonly preferred one. I wonder if Icho did the same, then?
4. Well, I guess I haven't been following the community enough. :P To be honest, I did see a lot about Lemmings Redux on the Discord server recently.
5. Heh, glad to see my strategy of picking the most recently active forum game other than Family Feud paid off. The first forum game I thought of was Counting with Pictures, but it seemed dumb to pick that one, as it hasn't been played here ever, as far as I'm aware.
6. Heh, I don't know the Simpsons well, and I actually imagined Homer Simpson while typing Bart Simpson. I'm lucky that some people did go for him (unless they made the same mistake :P).
7. This one seemed obvious to me, as Apple is such a huge brand. No other smartphone brand compares. Apple might even be reasonably called the Nokia of smartphones... except that Nokias weren't overexpensive. ;P
8. Woah, I am surprised here! I wonder why you went for mouse. :laugh: I was going to say that, with how many people use laptops nowadays, removable mice might be used more often than removable keyboards, but on the other hand, some laptop users don't use a mouse at all... and considering that the keyboard is the most basic peripheral for pc's, I am quite surprised that nobody else went for it! Monitor also wasn't used at all... I guess people take keyboard and monitor for granted?... :P
9. Hey, I'm glad to see bread worked out. Wasn't sure it would!
10. Cockatiel?? What's that??

11. Nobody went for Earth. :laugh:
12. Unlike here, where people did go for the obvious ones. :P
13. Huh, wasn't expecting 'Tame' to do well!
14. Donald Trump and Barrack Obama aren't in. :laughing: I assumed that if I looked through a list of former presidents, I would be able to find one that was way more probable to not be picked by anyone else. I didn't want to use external tools, though. How do others feel about this?
15. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16. Huh, everyone who went for it, didn't lose points to it!
17. Hey, my estimate was pretty good!

Cool to see so many people share their thoughts. :D
I'm glad to see an explanation for the parrot thing. :P I'm also glad to see that some other people did consider keyboard. ;)
Thinking of it now, pizza makes sense for 9 because of question 2. I guess it wasn't enough, though.

I'm not a fan of the inverse scoring question type myself, although it was funny to see the results. The recursive reverse psychology is fun a few times, but it seems to me that in the end it comes down to luck. I could use a couple less.
Hoping for another round soon!
I do have on my mental list of projects to work on writing something that lets me automatically write Family Feud results. I used to host Family Feud on another forum, but writing the results was a lot of work, and it seems like it could be automated fairly easily.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 12:13:23 PM by 607 »