Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] A tweak to the replay editor  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
[SUG][PLAYER] A tweak to the replay editor
« on: February 05, 2021, 04:42:29 PM »
The following situation is extremely frequent: I have a replay, and I want to insert an action. I go back to roughly the right place and insert the action. I don't get it quite right the first time, and I now want to remove the inserted action and try again -- still without disturbing the rest of the replay.

The problem is, of course, that it's hard to tell which action in the replay editor is the newly inserted one. Even the "current frame" indicator often doesn't help much, because the time at which I know whether my insertion was correctly placed is nearly always different from the time of insertion.

Solution: The replay editor should indicate which actions were created in insert mode, by having them in blue text.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] A tweak to the replay editor
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 05:02:32 PM »
Would highlighting the most recent (or perhaps 2 - 3 most recent) actions be more ideal? I don't think it would be useful for the situation you describe, if the game is highlighting an action that was done in insert mode but was now done a long time ago, for example.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 06:13:33 PM »
If by "recent" you mean in terms of the frame number, relative to the current frame, then often no -- there may be a long time between the action and the frame I'm at when it becomes clear I need to go back and tweak it, and there may be lots of intervening actions (especially in levels with multiple crowds).

Highlighting all inserted actions usually would be helpful, I think, even if there are others unrelated to the one I'm trying to tweak, because they are usually relatively few, and knowing both the type of action I'm looking for and roughly where to look for it, it should be easy to spot in most cases.

That said, I can see that highlighting the actions closest to the current frame may be helpful sometimes, so maybe the solution is to highlight inserted actions in blue and the ones closest to the current frame on either side in red?

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 04:12:07 PM »
+1 for any idea which brings more clarity to "most recently modified action"

+1 for any idea which brings more clarity to "all actions inserted in Replay Edit mode"

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 11:43:46 PM »
If by "recent" you mean in terms of the frame number, relative to the current frame, then often no -- there may be a long time between the action and the frame I'm at when it becomes clear I need to go back and tweak it, and there may be lots of intervening actions (especially in levels with multiple crowds).

No, I meant as in which one was - in real-world time - most recently added to the replay, be it in insert mode or otherwise.

In other words - let's say you have a replay where you assign 10 bombers (just playing through normally at this point). You open the replay editor. The 10th bomber is highlighted. You then go back to between the 5th and 6th bombers and insert a digger; then you go back to between the 1st and 2nd bombers and insert a basher.

Until you add yet another action (whether in insert mode or otherwise), that last basher will be the highlighted action, because it's the one that (in real world time) you've added to the replay most recently.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 07:42:35 PM »
Implemented across a few commits, finishing with commit 4743069.

Any actions added in Replay Insert Mode will be written in blue instead of black text in the replay edit menu. The most recently-added action, whether or not it was added in insert mode, will be displayed in bold.

To be clear, "most recently-added action" is in terms of real-world time, not in-game time. So if you assign a basher at 1:00 in-game, then backwards step to 0:50 and assign a builder, the builder is the one that will be bolded because (in real-world time) you assigned it more recently.
My Lemmings projects