Poll

Which of the options do you prefer?

Timed & Untimed Bombers as 2 separate skills, each with their own panel button
4 (33.3%)
Player-side option to always have Timed, always have Untimed, or default to the level's design
5 (41.7%)
Creator-side option to have whichever they prefer in their level (i.e. one OR the other, not both); "Always Untimed" could also be implemented as an "Easy" mode, but "Always Timed" would not be an option in this case
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: [SUG] The re-introduction of Timed Bombers  (Read 7762 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] The re-introduction of Timed Bombers
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 10:41:18 PM »
Hi Everyone

I'm a timed bombers fan.  I think my main reason would be that I like trying to time it even though you can go back in the replay if you get it wrong.  There's an art to the whole timed bombers and getting it right can sometimes make a good puzzle idea. I'm one who likes to stick to the game as it was originally, usually this would be with all video games, I don't like straying too much from the original game. I think if we do stray from the original game and that has been done with many times it feels like a new game. That would be my opinion, I know it probably won't be the most popular opinion.  Another reason would be that if we do change things like that in the game it will make earlier levels or works not work properly. I'm one who likes levels with the original skills only as of the levels packs I've made they have the original eight skills only. You can make fantastic puzzles with just the eight standard skills. I hope we still have lots of level packs with just the original eight skills.

(I technically blame myself for that as I've not been keeping up with the new skills or anything like that).

I played the Sonic CD which I think was a remastered version, I was looking at it before just to see if it was a remastered version where it is basically the original game but more visually friendly and that kind of thing.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 02:52:16 AM »
I'm a timed bombers fan. I'm one who likes to stick to the game as it was originally, usually this would be with all video games, I don't like straying too much from the original game. I think if we do stray from the original game and that has been done with many times it feels like a new game. That would be my opinion, I know it probably won't be the most popular opinion.  Another reason would be that if we do change things like that in the game it will make earlier levels or works not work properly. I'm one who likes levels with the original skills only as of the levels packs I've made they have the original eight skills only.

I pretty much agree with all the points you made here, grams88 ;) I too am a traditionalist when it comes to Lemmings. This was a huge reason why I avoided Neolemmix and that I was simply content with sticking to Lemmini/Superlemmini for a really long time before I finally took the plunge into all the NL stuff near the end of 2019. Before that, to me NL made Lemmings just way too different from the game that I grew up with in the 90s. In particular, I'm one of the few who doesn't mind time limits, and so I was quite put off by how levels can have infinite time in NL. Granted, Superlemmini supports infinite time as well, although there currently aren't too many levels with no time limit in that engine. Also, AFAIK all packs currently available on Superlemmini, including the converted packs, can all be done with timed bombers, so luckily none are broken with them.

You can make fantastic puzzles with just the eight standard skills. I hope we still have lots of level packs with just the original eight skills.

Absolutely! Levels with just the classic 8 skills can be really great and challenging puzzles if done correctly. Nepsterlems is one such pack which I still haven't finished as I'm currently stumped on the first level of the final rank and have been for nearly a year. Long before I reached that point, the pack was already quite difficult in many places.

Although there's still a lot of room for improvement and many levels in the pack I wasn't a fan of, I must say you did quite decent with Nuked Lems. It was definitely a very challenging pack that I ended up struggling a lot with, but I still enjoyed it. I still need to go through your Ski Sloped pack, but based on what you said I'm going to guess it's also a classic skills only pack.

The interesting thing was that before the LDC #22 playing phase I made a prediction that a R1 level would be the winner of it all, since that was the "traditionalist rule." Turns out it was a correct prediction. Seems like there's so much more traditionalists on the forums than I think there are. Either that or it was just simply the easiest rule to work with out of the other two rules in that contest. You definitely would had loved that rule very much :) I enjoyed solving so many of the R1 levels in the contest.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2021, 01:43:08 PM »
Nepsterlems is one such pack which I still haven't finished

Is Nepsterlems available for SuperLemmini...? :lem-mindblown:

If not, I think it may well be worth converting it if anyone has an early-formats copy of it!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 01:51:49 PM »
Is Nepsterlems available for SuperLemmini...? :lem-mindblown:
If not, I think it may well be worth converting it if anyone has an early-formats copy of it!

No, not currently, but the Old Formats version is indeed available for download in the level pack topic
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0