Poll

How do you feel about the current behavior when a Laserer is cloned (or turned by a blocker)?

It's fine
7 (100%)
I would prefer it to have a more limited range
0 (0%)
Other changes (please reply)
0 (0%)
I have no opinion on them
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: [POLL][PLAYER] Laserer physics - how do you feel about them currently?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
This is about gauging the overall feeling, rather than about discussing what should change, hence why the poll isn't asking about specific matters.

By a "normal" case, I'm simply meaning - one lemming is assigned a laserer, and is allowed to continue until he naturally reverts to walker. So in other words - not thinking about cases that involve blockers or Cloners etc. (There will be a separate poll for the physics of those cases.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [POLL][PLAYER] Laserer physics - how do you feel about them currently?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 05:56:13 PM »
Okay, so it looks like everyone is at least okay with the current implementation - a couple of people have said they would prefer some changes, though.

I understand some people still feel the range is too long - and on the flipside, others feel it should be longer. Unfortunately that's a point where there will never be universal agreement, and ultimately, I think between the "yes, it's good" votes and the general feeling I have about how it works, it's time to call "that's what we're going with" on the range. Is there anything other than range (but still excluding edge cases like cloners, or turning around mid-laser, etc) that people still feel needs changes?

(I do realise you may have posted about this elsewhere, but I'd rather ask again so that I can make sure it's up to date with people's latest thoughts, as well as not buried among other ideas that were either rejected or already implemented.)

And again - this is about the physics. We can talk about the visuals soon - and indeed, I intend to start that discussion within the next week or so for the Laserer.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 12:52:23 AM »
I'm OK with the Laserer pretty much as it is. A longer range would have been better IMHO, but the one we have is certainly good enough for most uses, so if that's the decision then fair enough :lemcat:

Regarding a Laserer being cloned, I absolutely think that it should simply continue for its full range. The way I imagine it, the actual laser blaster itself has a finite range, but plenty of power. So, when fired, it will only go a certain distance, but if cloned, there would still be more than enough "juice" left in the cloned version to go the full range again.

Builders and stackers, on the other hand, have a finite number of blocks in their bag, so if cloned with only 3 bricks left, the clone would only have 3 bricks left; this also makes sense.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 08:15:15 PM »
So - poll results + replies (or lack thereof) suggest to me that the only thing people still wanted to change about the basic laserer situation is the range, and only a small number of people want to change that.

Alright, so, next poll, which there's been a bit more debate around - the behavior when a Laserer is turned around mid-laser. This could either be because it was cloned (so the original one remains as-is, but the clone is turned around), or because a blocker was assigned next to it mid-laser.

If it turns out most people are happy with this, then I think we can consider the Laserer physics finalized (bugfixes aside, if necessary) and start looking at the visuals / etc. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 06:45:37 PM »
Alright then - I know not everyone has voted yet (as I'm aware of at least one user who would like further changes), but still, it's very clear that overall, people are happy with it.

So at this point, I now consider the Laserer physics to be "finalized". In quotes because adjustments could still occur to either (a) fix bugs, or (b) deal with edge cases we didn't think of yet where the normal behavior clearly needs adjustments.
My Lemmings projects