Author Topic: Hello fellow Lemmings fans - sharing my passion and learning more!  (Read 1908 times)

Offline brookstermax

• View Profile
Hello all,

I am so glad to find like minded Lemmings fans here. I started with the Spectrum version from a demo tape in 1991 on Your Sincliar, got the full price version then went to the Cartoon Classics A500+ and enjoyed the Amiga version - all these I still have to this day.  I was utterly enchanted by the game and still am.

It is my aim to play and own all versions of Lemmings (including the real hardware). I may never achieve it but will try and get close. My gaps include Sharp x68000 and NEC PC 98 and a few others byt I'll keep hunting and I can emulate where needed in the short term.

More recently I started putting content on Youtube about Lemmings, including an emulated play of the Warp OS/2 demo version today. Once I read about this version a few days ago, I had to see it as so little is out there on it. I managed after much graft to get an emulator running OS/2 Warp and install the demo version. Learning a new OS/2 and trying to carry over files into the VM was crazy complex but I got there. Its not perfect but good enough to get a feel for where it was going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6HZYQO6nds&ab_channel=RetroGamingLoft

My Lemmings YT playlist featuing Game Gear linkup, NEC PC 98 emulated, 3DO play is here

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSBQmw28bI2U4xkdt4PtCBU-aAC0JZeVU

Look forward to reading more here and learning more with you all!

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: Hello fellow Lemmings fans - sharing my passion and learning more!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »
Welcome, brookstermax! Good to have you on the Forums.

I also grew up with the A500+ Cartoon Classics pack, I'm very familiar with it. My Amiga emulator has copies of Captain Planet And The Planeteers and The Simpsons: Bart Vs. The Space Mutants (and, of course, Lemmings), which I still occasionally play to this day :lemcat:

It is my aim to play and own all versions of Lemmings (including the real hardware)

This is an impressive goal! Have you got a list somewhere of the ports you've played so far?

More recently I started putting content on Youtube about Lemmings, including an emulated play of the Warp OS/2 demo version today

Just had a quick look at this. I'm not familiar with OS/2, but this is a really nice-looking port! The interface is quite special, the developers obviously spent a lot of time getting it to look how they wanted it to.

I also had a quick watch of the ZX Spectrum version. The interesting thing here is that, due to the graphical limitations of the platform, each of the level styles is in its own single-colour, for ease of recognition. And you're right, it's very technically impressive that Lemmings even made it onto the Spectrum at all.

Offline brookstermax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 10:40:37 PM »
This is an impressive goal! Have you got a list somewhere of the ports you've played so far?

Just had a quick look at this. I'm not familiar with OS/2, but this is a really nice-looking port! The interface is quite special, the developers obviously spent a lot of time getting it to look how they wanted it to. I also had a quick watch of the ZX Spectrum version. The interesting thing here is that, due to the graphical limitations of the platform, each of the level styles is in its own single-colour, for ease of recognition. And you're right, it's very technically impressive that Lemmings even made it onto the Spectrum at all.

Thanks for the welcome and taking time to reply, really appreciate it.

First, I didn't have a list until an hour ago, you insipred me to create one in Excel which seems like I should have done this housekeeping earlier! Thanks for prompting the idea. The only ports I have not played yet are the Apple IIGS, FM Towns, PC Engine CD and Sharp X68000 assuming Wikipedia is complete. I will eventually do more research. There are several machines I still need to get but I do have a good collection of hardware.

Yes glad you agree the Spectrum is a technical marvel, I got a lot joy out of it back in the day and didn't feel short changed. But clearly the Amiga was on another level!

You are right about the OS/2 Warp version and interface, it was clearly being well developed. Shame it didn't get a full release, I wonder how close it was. I will continue to research more and see if I can emulate it better to get the music, if any exists and improve the sound reproduction. I might try it on real hardware one day.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 07:23:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum! :)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 04:52:03 PM »
The appleIIGS port is actually unofficial, if you're counting unofficial ports there's a few missing that I know of like a couple to Atari 8-bit systems, a dendy bootleg (tho this is just identical to the NES port) and a really weird attempt for MSX