2 (22.2%)
DoveLems
1 (11.1%)
PimoLems
2 (22.2%)
No restrictions - allow nominating levels from any pack
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Save-'em-up Contest #1 (Lemmings Redux)  (Read 16389 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [NeoLemmix] Save-'em-up Contest #1 (Lemmings Redux)
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 09:26:26 PM »
One question that's come up - should players' skillsets be revealed publicly at the start of the playing phase, or only at the end?

I have no preference either way. Proxima mentioned on Discord that he'd vote for at the end.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2021, 09:40:51 PM »
The end sounds better for me as well.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2021, 01:50:56 AM »
A reminder that the skill selection phase closes in about 10 hours.

Anyone who hasn't picked their skills by then will be considered to have withdrawn (or if they have submitted a preliminary skillset, back during the entry phase, it will instead be assumed they wish to stick with that skillset). Likewise, once that's up you will no longer be able to change your selection.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2021, 07:43:55 PM »
Alright, skillsets are now finalized and the levels have been attached to the first post. You can use NL QuickMod to quickly add your skillset to them.

The playing phase will close at midday UTC on 12th February. It will also close if, once all 8 entrants have submitted results, 72 hours passes without anyone resubmitting an improved result.

As a reminder:
- You have 25 of each of your skills across the entire pack combined (NeoLemmix has no automatic way to track this, though you could use Find-In-Files on your replays to check), NOT per level.
- On the other hand, the 50 lemmings is per-level - it's not a "carry over between levels" thing like L2.
- Original release rates and time limits still apply.
- It is acceptable to save zero lemmings on some levels, if you wish - you do not have to complete every level.
- Submit your results via PM. You may resubmit up until the playing phase closes if you improve your result.
- Winner is determined by most lemmings saved. The tiebreaker, if needed, will be fewest total skills used.
- NeoLemmix V12.10.3 is the authoritative version for this contest. If you are playing on V12.11-RC, make sure to double-check your replays in V12.10.3 before submitting, especially if the Swimmer is one of your skills.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2021, 02:41:02 AM »
Are we submitting results as simple figures or should we include replays?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 06:10:38 PM »
Are we submitting results as simple figures or should we include replays?

Replays.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2021, 08:54:04 PM »
I'm finding this to be quite an addictive challenge. :XD: I'm sure everyone else participating would feel the same. As I'm about to stop, I'm just writing a word of warning for everyone (me included) here:

Remember to pace yourself by doing up to an hour's maximum per playing session, and not spend three hours in one go like I did. :XD: With 16 days and two weekends left (approx.) there is still plenty of time for playing opportunities. Playing too late at night could disrupt sleep.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2021, 09:18:40 PM »
I'm finding this to be quite an addictive challenge. :XD: I'm sure everyone else participating would feel the same. As I'm about to stop, I'm just writing a word of warning for everyone (me included) here:

Remember to pace yourself by doing up to an hour's maximum per playing session, and not spend three hours in one go like I did. :XD: With 16 days and two weekends left (approx.) there is still plenty of time for playing opportunities. Playing too late at night could disrupt sleep.

Yep, I can vouch for this. I had just spent pretty much my entire weekend working on this challenge. :forehead:
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2021, 06:17:53 AM »
Remember to pace yourself by doing up to an hour's maximum per playing session, and not spend three hours in one go like I did. :XD:

Did mine in a total of 10 hours over 2 days :forehead:

I didn't rush, though; I took my time, and even changed skillsets. I'm fairly confident that no further improvements are possible, but I am still occasionally glancing over my results spreadsheet to see if I've missed something.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2021, 02:50:20 PM »
Sorry to have to do this, but can I ask for more time? I suddenly have a guest staying in my house, an old family friend who had to move out of her flat for a while because of rats. I was hoping to record myself attempting this challenge, but I don't want to disturb Janice. She is disabled and confined to her bed, and I probably won't be able to do anything while she is here (probably the next two weeks).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 09:06:14 PM »
^ Do any of the contestants object to this? I'm happy to extend the deadline if the other participants are okay with it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2021, 07:13:22 AM »
No objections from me. :thumbsup:
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2021, 07:14:19 AM »
OK. Go ahead, then. :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2021, 05:30:37 PM »
I will make the final decision on the 7th. If there are no objections (or they are significantly outweighed by people who explicitly state they're okay with this) by that time, I will extend the duration of the playing phase by two weeks. Will this be enough?

72-hour rule will remain in effect, though that shouldn't be a problem. (The one where the playing phase may end early if everyone has submitted their results, and no one has resubmitted for 72 hours.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2021, 06:15:57 PM »
As no one is objecting to extending the deadline, I'll extend it by two more weeks.

The new end date for the playing phase is 26th February, at midday UTC. The "when everyone has submitted, contest ends once we go 72 hours with no resubmissions" rule still applies - though of course this is not relevant until everyone has submitted their results, which is not yet the case (only about half of contestants have done so so far).
My Lemmings projects