Author Topic: lemmings and Windows 10  (Read 10186 times)

Offline Helen

• View Profile
lemmings and Windows 10
« on: December 18, 2020, 07:58:18 AM »
I played all the Lemmings games years ago and wanted to go back to the beginning again - old disc doesnt work on Windows 10 so downloaded free version for Windows 10 and got to end of Fun levels.

is there no way to get to beginning of next section?? - I can go into settings and pick from random games, but cant start at the beginning of Tricky??

Also is there any way to go back to your completed levels (sometimes I fancy doing one again just to show myself I can) - without erasing everything and going back to beginning??

Thank you.

Helen.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: lemmings and Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 08:27:55 AM »
Hello Helen, welcome to the forums. It sounds like the copy you downloaded is a demo or some limited edition of the game. The only thing I can think of is for you to enter the level codes to get to the level you want to go back to, including the beginning of Tricky. That is, if there's a separate menu for you to go to to enter the codes. However, there is a better solution. You might want to download the game from this link instead thanks to another forum member who got the ok from an admin to upload the game, since it is abandonware.

https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5164.msg86393#msg86393
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 09:42:27 AM »
Hi Helen, welcome from my side as well! ;)

Can you provide a little more info on which version you downloaded? The DOS version, or the Amiga version? Because there also is a download of the latter which you can still play on Windows; you'll recognise this if the file you run to play the game is called LEMMINGS.BAT

If none of these work for you (or also if they do), you are of course more than invited to try the flagship custom engine of the forums, which is NeoLemmix! ;) It features many additional perks over the original game, like the ability to rewind if you miss-click, jump ten seconds forwards by hitting the space bar, a ruler to measure lethal fall height, skill shadows that show you the trajectory of a skill before you assign it to a lemming, clear-physics mode to reveal hidden traps and exits...

Most importantly, NeoLemmix saves your solution as replay files once you've completed a level. So you can just rewatch your solution without having to do it manually again! ;) And you can also share your solutions with other players this way.

Also, you can select the levels freely from a menu in NeoLemmix
, or jump around between levels using the arrow keys on your keyboard. No more need to write down level access codes! ;)

Ah yeah, and did I already mention that NeoLemmix has a ton of additional skills? ;) Like the Swimmer, the Platformer, the Jumper, the Shimmier, to name just a few you might know if you also played Lemmings 2: The Tribes back in the day.

But there are also some completely custom skills, many of which were made by our admin and NeoLemmix lead developer namida. Those include things like the Cloner (which doubles a lemming, looking in the opposite direction, and it keeps all the skills of the original, also executes whatever skill the original was performing at the moment), the Stoner (a Bomber that creates terrain instead of destroying it), and even a Disarmer that can disable traps. :D

NeoLemmix also has the option of not putting a time limit on a level - and most custom levels indeed don't have one.

Yes, that's right. NeoLemmix comes with a level editor that allows you to build your own levels.
;) And there is a massive collection of graphic sets to choose from, not just the ones from the original DMA games.

You can still play all the original levels from Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings in that engine. Our user WillLem has recently polished up both versions of those original packs and released them under the name Amiga Lemmings. (I'm not quite sure what happened to the "NeoLemmix official" versions.) WillLem just stated that a lof of the official NeoLemmix versions of the original two games had had a lot of the decorative elements removed. So WillLem went back and re-added those.

As far as I can tell, the levels in Amiga lemmings look and play exactly like the ones from original Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »
Nice advertising/promoting of Neolemmix there, Strato! :thumbsup: You did great, far better than I could had possibly done myself ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Helen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »
Thank you so much!
The version I had was not a demo, it had all 30 fun levels and seemed to have consecutive tricky levels from no 4 which I could access the long way round
And no codes
I' m not sure which version it was, just found it by googling Lemmings for Windows 10.
But anyway got whole game now  from link in Kahwyns post .
Thank you again.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 07:08:41 PM »
But anyway got whole game now  from link in Kahwyns post .
Thank you again.

You're welcome. eric's the one to thank here, since I simply remembered his attachment from the link I provided from sometime ago. Also, I would like to caution you in misspelling my username in the future. I get quite irate when people do that, as misspelling people's names/username, is one of those things that people shouldn't be doing since it can be disrespectful to the person who has that identity by name. It's a simple one to spell and it's exactly the way you see it, kaywhyn. Don't worry, you're not the only person who has misspelled it. Members have the ability to go back and modify their own post, anyway, so you can always fix the misspelling.

Hope you enjoy your time at the forums, though. It's a great community where people are willing to lend a helping hand and even to make occasional banter with one another. Simply ask if you ever need any assistance with anything.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 10:08:20 PM »
Hi Helen, welcome to the forums!

I know which version of Lemmings you're talking about, it's the free one that's available from the Microsoft store. I've only played it once and I found it to be a very buggy and sub-par platform for the game. A shame really, since it has the relatively "official" status of being available from Microsoft, but is nowhere near as good as NeoLemmix or SuperLemmini, which are by far the best ways to enjoy Lemmings on a PC.

NeoLemmix is the most popular and feature-rich Lemmings platform on these forums and is great if you want to get involved with challenges and play custom content, and SuperLemmini is kind of like the old Windows 95 Lemmings but with a much more intuitive and pleasing UI (and a working FF button!)

Offline Helen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »
Just got back here after completing Lemmings from the link provided.

Sorry about mis spelling your user name

Yes  i think that was the lemmings version I had in the first place WillLem - was very frustrating to play

Got so addicted again - now Ive completed the original, I  want to tackle oh no not more Lemmings again.