Author Topic: Genesis levels re-made  (Read 10835 times)

MC Marshy

Genesis levels re-made
« on: April 03, 2006, 12:23:46 PM »
Hey there!

I thought we could talk about levels from the Genesis version of Lemmings that have been re-created for Custlemm etc in this topic.

So far I've recreated "Keep step", "Catch more floaters", "Room with no exit", "Let's go to the moon", "Go out for a walk?", "Salvage boat", "Don't leave any lemmings" and "Balance Beam:".

JM

Re: Genesis levels re-made
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 04:02:20 PM »
Yeah but they were mostly exact replicas. "Balance Beam" was re-made good. At least you set the release rate to 99 to change the level a bit. I re-made "Don't leave my lemmings" but I don't think I completely re-made it. Your re-make of "Room with no exit" seems to have that small diagonal staircase that the lemmings just can't walk through and turn around which is just a small problem.

Everyone seems to enjoy re-making "I am A.T" and "Everyone turn left" .

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 04:43:50 PM »
Maybe, but apart from you, most of us have the imagination to make our "I am A.T."-based levels a little different from the original!  ;)  (And I don't remember seeing anyone remake "Everyone turn left".....)

MC Marshy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 06:20:50 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar link=1144067026/0#2 date=1144341830
I don't remember seeing anyone remake "Everyone turn left".....)

Isu did "Everybody turn left" and somebody made a level called "Everyone turn right" in the levelpak Crisfn02

Insane Steve did "Bash and no time" which was similar to the level title "Fall and no life"

Leviathan did "Hang and no life", I did "Float and no life" and JM did "Drown and no life"

These are a few "I am A.T" remakes from certain authors

I am not AT - But close enough (Conway)
I am I.S (Insane Steve)
I am J.M (JM)

Garjen re-made the original version of "I am A.T"

I also did "A.T is no more"

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:41:46 PM »
My only direct re-make was a Cheapo re-make of "Fall and No Life" that wasn't THAT close to the original except for the gameplay mechanics. And even those were a bit off -- the solution requires a slight difference that isn't in the Magedrive version.

I still can't explain why "I am A.T." is re-made (or at least re-designed with some twist) by so many authors.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

MC Marshy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 03:48:09 PM »
Isu's re-make of "I am A.T" looks more interesting than the original. It has good use of the crystal graphics and the scenery on the left and right looks nice.

JM

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 07:36:14 PM »
Why has "Room with no exit" got the title when the level actually has an exit?

Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 07:50:19 PM »
I've remade FANL 1 and 2 pixel precise (or close enough) with a little twist with stretching builders...
I've remade a couple of other Genesis levels too,for example "no world without you".

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 07:53:53 PM »
Quote from: JM link=1144067026/0#6 date=1144784174
For that matter, why is one of the easiest levels on the game called "As long as you try your best"?  ;)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 11:28:22 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar link=1144067026/0#8 date=1144785233
Quote from: JM link=1144067026/0#6 date=1144784174
For that matter, why is one of the easiest levels on the game called "As long as you try your best"? &#A0;;)

Basically, to a novice player, the level looks quite intimidating with the slicer traps and the 99 release rate -- as long as the player tries his best, though, that is, the player takes the obvious route and bashes the wall, enough lemmings will make it to the exit.

At least, I suppose thats the case.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

JM

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 12:02:03 PM »
What about "Room with no exit" ?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 01:13:01 PM »
You're trapped in a room with no exit -- you have to bash out of the room to reach the exit of the level.

MC Marshy

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 01:53:08 PM »
A shame my re-make of "Room with no exit" has a tiny error with the small staircase on one of the sides and the lemmings can't walk through it  :(

I've re-made "Darkness of the royal family" in Custlemm. I've made the save target 100% and I've taken away a few skills. I might take away a few more as the blockers and bombers aren't needed to pass the level. I'm also doing "Evil Whisper" and if possible I could re-make "A trap is a trap" and "Electric Circuit". These will be put in my 6th levelpak.

Edit: The trap was malfunctioning on "Darkness of the royal family" and I fixed the fault in Lemedit. I've just made "Evil Whisper" and I hope to raise the save target on "A trap is a trap". Why is the save target so low on that level in the genesis version?

JM

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 10:08:42 AM »
The screenshot of the "Electric circuit" re-make looks good. I hope to play it sometime.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 12:17:42 PM »
Quote from: MC Marshy link=1144067026/0#12 date=1144849988
Edit: The trap was malfunctioning on "Darkness of the royal family" and I fixed the fault in Lemedit. I've just made "Evil Whisper" and I hope to raise the save target on "A trap is a trap". Why is the save target so low on that level in the genesis version?
Possibly to encourage the nuke solution.

The most it's possible to save, by the way, is all but two.

MC Marshy

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 12:31:06 PM »
On the Custlemm version of "A trap is a trap" the save target is 75%. On "Darkness of the royal family" the save target is 100%. On "Evil Whisper" the scenery doesn't look exactly the same at the scenery on the genesis version. "Electric Circuit" just seems ok. The scenery in "Salvage Boat" doesn't really look like a boat that much. There are a few genesis levels that I'd love to see in Custlemm but some I can't convert to Custlemm as Isu has re-made some in Cheapo.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 01:01:22 PM »
Quote from: MC Marshy link=1144067026/15#15 date=1145190666
There are a few genesis levels that I'd love to see in Custlemm but some I can't convert to Custlemm as Isu has re-made some in Cheapo.
Eh? Why should that stop you?

MC Marshy

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2006, 01:14:21 PM »
I don't think it would stop me. There's other good levels I could create in Custlemm. I'm mostly preferring to make my own levels in Custlemm rather than re-make genesis levels all the time. I'm pretty glad with the ones I re-made.

JM

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »
Genesis have a level called "Don't leave any lemmings" when it's impossible to save 100%. The save target isn't 100% either.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 11:24:44 AM »
Meh. There are plenty enough inappropriate titles on the original game:

As long as you try your best
Patience
Don't let your eyes deceive you (but there's nothing deceptive about the level)
Let's be careful out there (you can afford to lose half the lemmings!)
Been there, seen it, done it (unless for some mad reason you've made more progress in Taxing than Tricky!)
They just keep on coming (a level with RR only 50, and which has a ready-made crowd holding area)
One-way digging to freedom (you have to bash, not dig)
Save Me (would have been more appropriate for a level with just one lemming)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 12:31:08 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar link=1144067026/15#19 date=1145273084
Meh. There are plenty enough inappropriate titles on the original game:

As long as you try your best
Patience
Don't let your eyes deceive you (but there's nothing deceptive about the level)
Let's be careful out there (you can afford to lose half the lemmings!)
Been there, seen it, done it (unless for some mad reason you've made more progress in Taxing than Tricky!)
They just keep on coming (a level with RR only 50, and which has a ready-made crowd holding area)
One-way digging to freedom (you have to bash, not dig)
Save Me (would have been more appropriate for a level with just one lemming)
<chuckle> ;), they are only inappropriate if you are literally interpreting them in the context of the level itself.

I think many of those titles were just expressing descriptions and sentiments for the Lemmings game in general, especially in the context of a player who's new to the game (and perhaps sometimes in the context of the lemmings themselves).  I think that more or less covers "As Long As You Try Your Best", "Patience", "Let's be Careful Out There", "They Just Keep on Coming", and "Save Me".  

"One-way digging to freedom" is just building on the common expression of "digging to freedom", which is why the word "digging" is preferable IMO, even though you really bash (and actually, I think in some versions the game manual describes bashing as "digging horizontally" anyway).

This just leaves "Don't let your eyes deceive you" and "Been there, seen it, done it" as the two that are maybe a little harder to justify.

Or, more likely it's just too much work (and work that won't really translate to more revenue) to come up with 120 inspired titles, so inevitably a number of them will be random titles that simply sounds kinda interesting.