Author Topic: Lemmings Heritage WIP  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
Re: How does NeoLemmix decide which order the levels go?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 04:16:25 PM »
Hopefully you've received my PM with thanks, etc. On the other hand, I am grateful to be a part of the community now. You're all amazing! :lemming: 8-)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 07:35:53 PM »
Hopefully you've received my PM with thanks, etc. On the other hand, I am grateful to be a part of the community now. You're all amazing! :lemming: 8-)

Happy to report that I did receive your PM reply from a few hours ago :thumbsup: I'm touched by your kind words :) It was my pleasure, and I definitely would had done all of the Smooth rank by writing the entire levels.nxmi file up for you, but I think it's a good idea for anyone to do it him/herself to get good practice with doing it. It can be a bit confusing and much at first, but after studying these files for other packs, subsequent level packs that you might make in the future will definitely be a lot easier as a result since you do the exact same thing but with your new level/rank names instead.

Don't worry about giving me anything in return. I'm just happy to help :thumbsup: I suppose I could offer to do some pre-release testing for your demo, but this currently takes the backseat for me, as I currently have a lot on my plate and hence I might not even get around to it before you release the full pack. Instead, I might just do a live LP when you release the full pack, which doesn't seem too long now, considering you have 19 more levels to make for the Bumpy rank. This means that you'll be watching me play your pack in real time and you also can hear my thoughts on your levels :) Authors especially find these a lot of fun to watch.

Of course, take as much time as you need on the remaining levels you need to make for your pack. Levels/packs generally tend to be of much higher quality if one takes their time on making it. There are exceptions, like it's still very possible to have excellent quality levels even if they were rushed and made quickly, but in general they tend to not be as good as they should be if time was taken instead. On the other hand, some authors have reported levels they spent so much time on making or backroute testing end up being a lower quality than expected, so the opposite effect with quality can happen with levels that so much time was spent on too. It all depends on the level, of course, and even how the author personally feels about the level.

So, even though I might not get around to doing any pre-release testing for you, there are plenty of others here who might take you up on the offer. It's not a mandatory requirement that your pack goes through pre-release testing before you release the actual pack. You are certainly free to release your pack without going through pre-testing, but many authors do that in order to fix any really bad backroutes and errors before releasing their full pack.

Just know that there's nothing about your pack that has made me not want to do any pre-testing. From the few levels I have seen from the preview alone in the NL player to make sure everything was loading fine on my end, they look really good and hence I'm very excited to give your pack a playthrough in the future! :thumbsup: It's just I have a lot to juggle right now (one of them being to make sure everything is fine here on the Lemmings Forums, as I've recently been added to the staff by getting one of the global moderator positions) and I'm really just looking out for myself for the sake of my health. I'm perfectly healthy, I just been needing some time off from recording more content for my YT channel. I will be picking that up again soon, but for the last few months it was a very much needed break.

We're very happy to have you here, Mobiethian! :thumbsup: As you have seen, this is a very friendly community where members are willing to help anytime you ask or need assistance. Good luck with finishing up the rest of your pack! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 07:45:45 PM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 08:39:04 PM »
Thank you kindly, kaywhyn! I'm getting all of levels fixed up now, it's fun actually. I'll be finishing up the remaining 19 levels when I can, thanks for letting me know that things look good so far. Smooth and Bumpy are the ranks, has anyone else used those ones yet? If so, I could change mine up, no worries. I understand that I came into the door much later than a lot of users. :D

The nice welcome, great help and the exciting level packs I'm finding make me want to keep coming back here. You're all so talented! I am quite glad to know about the nice users on this forum, it makes me feel safe and relaxed. ;)

Being happy helps, I do feel welcome and have taken all things into consideration for the game and this has been quite a learning experience. It would be great to LP the full game, thanks for offering! :lemming:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 08:56:37 PM »
Smooth and Bumpy are the ranks, has anyone else used those ones yet? If so, I could change mine up, no worries. I understand that I came into the door much later than a lot of users. :D

Yup, Lemmings Plus IV by namida, where they're the first two ranks out of four :laugh: Regarding repeating rank names, nothing wrong with that. There's plenty of level packs where rank names have been repeated. Another would be Insane which is a rank name found in both Clammings by Clam Spammer and, once again, Lemmings Plus IV by namida. In both cases, Insane is the final rank of each of those packs. I'm sure there's many more examples of packs that have repeated rank names, but can't think of further ones at the moment. Just know that repeating rank names isn't uncommon at all. However, if you still feel like changing the rank names after being told they have already been used, feel free.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 09:09:27 PM »
I wonder whether it might be appropriate to rename this topic (to the title of the proposed level pack, or a working title?) and move it over to NeoLemmix Levels > In Development, as it sounds like Mobiethian is making significant progress with his pack! :lemcat:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Heritage Demo WIP
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2024, 09:21:37 PM »
I wonder whether it might be appropriate to rename this topic (to the title of the proposed level pack, or a working title?) and move it over to NeoLemmix Levels > In Development, as it sounds like Mobiethian is making significant progress with his pack! :lemcat:

Good catch, thanks! :thumbsup: I agree completely.

@Mobiethian

If it's all right would you, I can probably change your topic's title to "Lemmings Heritage Demo" and move this entire thread to the In Development child board of the NeoLemmix Levels board :) Or, did you have another topic title in mind that might work better?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:17:24 PM by kaywhyn »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 10:17:29 PM »
If you are interested in browsing previously used rank names, this topic (sticky in Level Design) has a list. As the list will show (and as kaywhyn mentioned) there have already been several cases of accidental repeats, and no-one minds! It is true, though, that if you want to stick with the traditional "adjectives increasing in intensity", most of that space has been ploughed already.

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 11:14:42 PM »

Good catch, thanks! :thumbsup: I agree completely.

@Mobiethian

If it's all right would you, I can probably change your topic's title to "Lemmings Heritage Demo" and move this entire thread to the In Development child board of the NeoLemmix Levels board :) Or, did you have another topic title in mind that might work better?

All good with me, thank you so much! The name of this pack is basically what it is. A collection of Lemmings levels, new ones made by myself, that are like a mix of Lemmings 1 - 3 tilesets. But keeping the classic feel, more so like the first Lemmings flow although new abilities will be included. So now, instead of going with just two ranks, I will be adding a third - more difficult rank which would make it 60 levels total.

This is going to be great! Thanks to all for the advice mentioned above and the topic sharing. The name may stick, but for now I think it's okay as a working title.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:17:41 PM by kaywhyn »

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 11:33:38 PM »
All good with me, thank you so much! The name of this pack is basically what it is. A collection of Lemmings levels, new ones made by myself, that are like a mix of Lemmings 1 - 3 tilesets. But keeping the classic feel, more so like the first Lemmings flow although new abilities will be included. So now, instead of going with just two ranks, I will be adding a third - more difficult rank which would make it 60 levels total.

This is going to be great! Thanks to all for the advice mentioned above and the topic sharing. The name may stick, but for now I think it's okay as a working title.

Thanks for letting me know! :thumbsup: I changed the title of your latest post to match that of the OP's. In this way, it will more accurately reflect why it's now in the NeoLemmix Levels board => In Development. Before, on the home page it would show up as a new post with the original title "How does NeoLemmix decide which order the levels go?" on that board. The reason why it did that was because you quoted and replied to my post which had the original title, therefore the Re: "former title." No problem, I'm able to change the level title of my post, which I should had done when I moved it before you made your reply. That's my mistake :forehead: In addition, the person posting can change his/her own post's title too before clicking "post," but don't worry if you forget to. That's why there's the staff to help out with the organization :)

Now replies from this point should have the new title on the home page :) Also made an edit to the OP which just mentions that I changed the topic title :)

Excellent! I'm really looking forward to the finished product now, especially now with the new plans to expand the total number of levels! :thumbsup: Feel free to post screenshots of select levels during the pack's creation phase if you like, which will surely hype up people's excitement of your upcoming pack even more, especially if they like what they see in the pics :) Imgur is a site you can use to get the code to copy/paste in order to insert photos, and I believe there's some here that use it to present their work/pack.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:40:42 PM by kaywhyn »

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2024, 12:26:50 AM »
Excellent kaywhyn, this is all so very helpful to me. I will surely like to post screenshots eventually, that would be plenty of fun and I keep wanting to do a demo release, but at this point I may wait until it's all completed and playtested. If you don't mind being a playtester at that point, it would be highly appreciated. As well as anyone else who would like to playtest it.

Everything seems very good, thank you! New levels get made every day from my side having not much to do since losing my job from staff cuts.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2024, 01:31:15 AM »
Excellent kaywhyn, this is all so very helpful to me. I will surely like to post screenshots eventually, that would be plenty of fun and I keep wanting to do a demo release, but at this point I may wait until it's all completed and playtested. If you don't mind being a playtester at that point, it would be highly appreciated. As well as anyone else who would like to playtest it.

Everything seems very good, thank you! New levels get made every day from my side having not much to do since losing my job from staff cuts.

Hi @Mobiethian,

Thank you for thinking and considering me to be a pre-tester for your pack. Yea, I think I should be more able to do some actual pre-testing at that time when it is ready, so sure, you can put me down on the pre-testers list and reach out to me again when it is :thumbsup:

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2024, 11:17:29 AM »
I'd like to upload some screenshots of Lemmings Heritage today. Eventually, I'm releasing a 20 level demo - for anyone interested in playtesting it, please let me know soon. Many thanks to kaywhyn for helping me solve an upload issue of the screenshots, helping me find a good website to use, and offering to playtest the demo when it's time. I appreciate you!

There will be 60 levels in this pack total, 20 levels per rank (3 ranks total). This level pack is basically much similar to the first Lemmings and ONML, but will be using graphics styles from Lemmings 1, ONML, 2 and 3. No vertical levels, some new skills from Lemmings 2, and the music is nicely arranged with interesting solutions. I do need to make the levels tougher as the ranks go up, that will take some time. Patience is much appreciated! It'll all get done in good time. ;)

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Heritage WIP
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2024, 06:45:34 PM »
I've been making the "Bumpy" rank levels a bit too difficult, so I am letting up a bit on that. Also, instead of there being 60 levels, I am keeping it at just 40 for now upon release soon. Two ranks. And then I'll make more packs later on to add onto it. Have an excellent weekend! :thumbsup:

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Heritage WIP
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2024, 07:40:46 PM »
Play testing in progress, I will be releasing the entire pack on 4/4. Got the help needed, thanks again kaywhyn for the extra help. This is rather exciting!