Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Open Air [Difficulty: Medium - Hard]  (Read 36119 times)

Offline David

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Open Air [Difficulty: Medium - Hard]
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2020, 02:53:19 AM »
I finished Soft rank ! :thumbsup:  Very good levels, well imagined ! I admire the work, really. I enjoy myself ! I really liked Soft 19, Soft 20, Soft 21, and especially Soft 25, but the others didn't "displease" me ! ;P

Levels Soft 16, Soft 18 and Soft 26 seemed rather easy to me, while levels Soft 15 and Soft 28 were very difficult to solve. :forehead:

So I redid Soft 11 with the expected solution (well... I think). ;)

For Soft 19, I recorded the replay before the last update, but I think it doesn't affect the solution I found. :-\

For Hardcore rank, I understand, but we'll talk about that later... I doubt I will get that far, because Soft rank is still quite difficult for me ! :P :laugh:

Thank you ! Bye !

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2020, 12:24:28 PM »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 12:30:14 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2020, 10:41:56 PM »
OK I finished all of hardcore except the last level (reason in spoiler). Very nice pack overall, I'd say it's difficulty is a 7/10, though that's with backroutes! Had a lot of fun playing it, I'll come back to the levels that got fixed soon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2020, 11:09:12 PM »
Congrats on finishing 99.2 percent (119/120) of the pack, Gronkling! :thumbsup:

I must be a dummy, because it sounds like both you and Armani didn't find Hardcore 24 that hard. That's the only level I haven't been able to solve, at least the latest version of it. Both Armani and I have already backrouted it so many times in the past. So far, the best I have managed on the level is lose 1, which doesn't help since you need to save everyone, and that was when I finally came back to the level last night for the first time since Thanksgiving here in the U.S. I wonder if it might just be a shimmier trick I haven't seen that's preventing me from solving the level. Or, more likely, just not going about the level correctly. Will of course keep trying.

As for Hardcore 30, I can assure you it's not as hard as you're making it sound. Yes, certain skills running out quick will be a problem, but it's all about finding ways to conserve skills wherever possible. IIRC, I still had a handful of skills leftover. Well, since you're not a fan of huge levels, I know who won't be doing the final level of LWT then :P In short, standard height level but an extremely wide level. Might be the max width actually. Not sure. There's probably only 2 skills that can potentially be problematic due to running out quickly, obviously the builder is one of them, but otherwise I ended up having a lot of skills left. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2020, 11:11:54 PM »
HC24 was pretty tricky! One of the harder ones. I guess I'll try on HC30 every now and then if its not too bad, just not something I want to try a lot at a time.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2020, 12:39:03 AM »
Congrats on finishing 99.2 percent (119/120) of the pack, Gronkling!

Indeed, from me as well! :thumbsup: But as Darken Rahl said: "Do you believe the Keeper is interested in almost winning?" :P

I'm the first person to trash huge X-of-everything levels. That's precisely why I don't create them very often. ;) Pit Lems still had the most of these in comparison, but they weren't very restrictive. My newer ones, the few that I make, are. :evil: So I felt more justified in having such a level at the end than it might be in other packs, if they already pack a lot of these huge X-of-everything levels at the very beginning of a pack, as well.

Well, since you're not a fan of huge levels, I know who won't be doing the final level of LWT then :P In short, standard height level but an extremely wide level. Might be the max width actually.

"The Grand Puzzle" is 4000 pixels wide. New-Formats has a width limit of 2400 pixels, so you couldn't even re-create that level in New Formats. Only the player can still handle it.
The Old-Formats editor didn't have a max width, as far as I remember. :P At least not officially. Of course, there was probably a limit at which the player would simply start breaking down.

My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2020, 12:46:52 AM »
And with that, the next update is here!

Changelog (click to show/hide)

I assume a lot of people are still playing the very first version "silently" ;) , given that the very first version was downloaded an astounding 48 times, but each of the updates only 2 times.

Still feel free to post your replays here, but don't be surprised if I tell you some of them no longer work in my version :P .

The better option would of course be to simply update your version of the pack again every once in a while and check with a mass replay check whether your solutions still work.

I completely understand that it's hard to keep up with every single update, but whenever you take another shot at it and haven't played in a while, it's always easy to simply download the latest version again.
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2020, 03:55:01 AM »
For example, David was the very first person to backroute Soft 11, nobody else had even considered doing that. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure of the details of the exact case as I haven't been reading spoilers (or indeed, really, other people's comments in general) except where they directly relate to my comments, but - there's plenty of cases where the experienced players miss backroutes that the newer players find. This is a specific reason why I will usually include some of the less-skilled players as testers on my packs - they might indeed try stuff that experienced players dismiss as "too simple for this level" / etc.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2020, 08:20:27 AM »
Ok, here are my Loud 11-20 replays. These 10 were harder than the 1st 10. but level 15 was the hardest of these.

and I got the Talismans too for 11,14 and 20

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »
And yet again another small update! I took this as an opportunity to finally try and fix "Bonfire" (Loud 20). Hopefully it works this time!

Changelog (click to show/hide)

This is a specific reason why I will usually include some of the less-skilled players as testers on my packs - they might indeed try stuff that experienced players dismiss as "too simple for this level" / etc.

I did that as well - I had two people I would consider expert solvers, one intermediate, and one casual player during early "open testing". However, if the less experienced players never make it to the hardest levels because the previous ones are already too hard for them, they won't get to reveal those "easy backroutes" on the harder levels, even if they are glaringly obvious - because they never get to play them in the first place before they see themselves forced to give up ;) . Simply because the average difficulty is already too high for them at that point.

And also, it's not very fun for any tester to attempt a bunch of levels which they know will be too hard for them in general, only to randomly solve one every once in a while by backrouting it, upon which they immediately know that their solution most likely won't count because it's going to be fixed.
My packs so far:

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2020, 04:38:27 PM »
I tried again today and finished HC30

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2020, 06:06:30 PM »
Told you so. Granted, it's far from being the most difficult of the pack, but at the same time it's not trivial either. Anyway, congrats on solving 100% of the pack! :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2020, 06:40:53 PM »
ok here are my 2 new resolved loud level replays

Level 16 using both sides of level
Level 20 I couldn't do without bombers and I didn't come close to saving 39, only 35(2 over requirement)

Also I included Loud 5 Not using the climber, since a climber shouldn't be turning around on a stack when using a shimmier.

Just as a Note: Today is my birthday

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2020, 10:32:54 PM »
Congratulations to Gronkling for beating the pack! :thumbsup: - And congratulations to ericderkovits to his birthday ;)  :party:

@Gronkling: Hardcore 30 is an open-ended level, so your solution was more than fine!

One more thing:
I'm really curious to see whether Colorful Arty can beat this - because he was able to beat SEB Lems. ;) Which is also ranked Medium - Hard, yet at this point I would still consider it harder than LOA.

I for one am currently still struggling with SEB Lems, and I do need occasional hints here and there to even have a chance at the Murder rank.

Between Flopsy and me, it seems like both of us are better at creating hard levels than solving them, because neither of us has solved the other's main pack(s) yet. ;)
My packs so far:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2020, 11:06:05 PM »
I for one am currently still struggling with SEB Lems, and I do need occasional hints here and there to even have a chance at the Murder rank.

Between Flopsy and me, it seems like both of us are better at creating hard levels than solving them, because neither of us has solved the other's main pack(s) yet. ;)

Now you really got me curious as to how much I'll be struggling with SEB Lems. Too bad it's going to be quite a while before I even get around to playing it due to the planned LPs I still need to do. One of them is almost done. Heck, I'll be amazed if anyone manages to beat all of United without hints. I almost did, but I think it was more to me giving up on a few levels quicker than usual. I think the only person who might had is josh, but since all correspondences was via PM, only Icho can say with certainty.

Then again, I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it, but save for a few levels in each rank, with LOA I felt no extreme real challenge with the pack. Even I thought the Hardcore rank wasn't all that very hard, except for Hardcore 11 that you showcased for the rank in the OP :XD: That was probably the hardest level for me in the entire pack. I still have the newest version of Hardcore 24 unsolved, but the solution will probably come to me eventually. The best I've managed so far is save all but 1, which doesn't help since you need to save everyone on that level. It's likely I'm simply missing something obvious or some trick I might not had seen before.