Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] New skills general discussion  (Read 25783 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] New skills general discussion
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2021, 03:22:28 PM »
My favourite replays from last night's session.

Taxing 3 Heaven Can Wait (We Hope!!!) - initially thought impossible, but can be done by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A delightful mess of a solution!

Taxing 8 The Art Gallery - this one is one of the few levels which almost plays out like an intended solution...

Taxing 14 Hunt The Nessy - requires multiple workers, and just as much the epic adventure that the original is ;P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2021, 05:58:41 PM »
Now the crater is (as far as I can tell?) the same size as that of the Bomber, or just barely larger. Thus, it shouldn't be any more prone to creating backroutes than the Bomber.

The bomber blast is 16px wide and 22px tall; the Grenader blast is 19px in both dimensions. So it's wider, but not as tall.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2021, 11:29:08 AM »
My solutions to @NieSch new skills levels.
There were some very nice puzzles and also backroutes :devil:

Edit : I attached wrong zip file.:forehead: Now I attached correct file.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:54:29 AM by Armani »
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2021, 11:40:35 AM »
Quote from: namida
The bomber blast is 16px wide and 22px tall; the Grenader blast is 19px in both dimensions. So it's wider, but not as tall.

Okay, thanks for the explanation! :) These are minor differences, of course, but in terms of backroute prevention, I don't think they will be relevant very often: If a level can be backrouted by the current Grenader, it will usually also be possible to backroute the level in the same fashion provided the same number of Bombers instead, and vice versa.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2021, 08:23:28 AM »
When namida announced that the Grenader and Spearer would not make the cut, he also said there would be a new experimental version one week later - featuring only the Slider and Laser Blaster, but with adapted physics (the newest fixes).

Any updates on that? ;) The latest update in the Experimental Version thread is still from January, whereas the announcement that the Grenader and Spearer wouldn't make it was from February.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2021, 08:05:24 PM »
I had been hoping to fix a few of the reported bugs first, which I still haven't gotten around to yet.

EDIT: Made said build now, though I ultimately didn't end up making any further fixes - it's just "upgrade to latest NL version as base, remove Grenader and Spearer". (Or more accurately: "use latest NL version as base, add Slider and Laserer to it".)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 10:23:20 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2021, 08:26:44 AM »
That's alright, don't worry about the remaining bugs - I just wanted to make sure anyone creating new levels for the new skills can work with an up-to-date version that no longer includes the eliminated skills. ;)

Thanks a lot for uploading the new version! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Looks like the editor still contains the Grenader and the Spearer. The player, however, doesn't include any of the new skills? ???

When I open a level that includes Grenader and Spearer, the counts, pickup skills etc. are (formerly) correctly displayed in the editor. Then once I start the level in the player via test mode, all skills I see on the panel are the already established ones.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:04:58 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2021, 08:33:58 PM »
I have noted in multiple places that the editor has not been updated. Although in this case, it would've just been "you were still using your old copy of the editor". ;P

Actually, I made a mistake in the post - the link I posted was for 12.11.2 stable, not the exp. (The right version could've been found by going to the "all versions" page on NL.com, but I expect few people would have tried that.)

I've fixed it now. Nothing wrong with the download itself - just a wrong link.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2021, 05:27:03 PM »
Ah, so that's why the new skills disappeared when I started the level. :P Well, anyway, thanks for the fix - as you can tell by me having updated my levels, it works for me now.

One question though: How can we make other styles work with the newest experimental build, now that you said the tileset restrictions are no longer in place?

I tried copying over my styles folder from my 12.11 folder, but I'm getting an "invalid pointer operation" as soon as I want to playtest a level (even when using the official styles).

I've deleted the copied styles folder and extracted the one from the latest experimental build back into the folder again, i.e. the one that only includes the official Lemmings and ONML styles, and now it works again as previously - that implies the restriction to official tilesets might still be in place somehow? ???
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2021, 06:34:29 PM »
Re-extract the copy of the default style from the download. My guess is this is happening because you're replacing "default" (or more specifically, the lemming sprites within) with a copy that doesn't include the sprites / metadata for the new skills.

With a non-standard set like Xmas, it would fall back to Default if something is missing (which it would be, as Xmas sprites for these skills don't exist, not even placeholders), but obviously if even Default is broken, not much it can do about that.

This is also why it ships with default marked as "last updated in 2100" or some crazy shit like that - so that the exp build won't auto-update that style if you click "Update All" in the style manager.

To be clear, you CAN use newer copies of default if/when such are released - just make sure to put the extra sprites (and the modified scheme.nxmi) back after updating.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2021, 06:38:02 PM »
I am reminding people again - do NOT use the level sharing topic for anything other than posting levels!

There has been a major spike in posts that are not suitable for that topic showing up lately, to the point that I am considering whether I need to start issuing warnings for it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2021, 08:33:03 PM »
Quote from: namida
My guess is this is happening because you're replacing "default" (or more specifically, the lemming sprites within) with a copy that doesn't include the sprites / metadata for the new skills.

Ah, yeah, that must have been it, I just copied the entire folder over. You highlighted it in the opening post of the thread that always contains the newest experimental version - I just didn't put two and two together and think of that this would happen if I copy and paste the entire styles folder.

So instead I needed to go into the styles folder and then select everything except "default" before copying those. Now it works! :thumbsup:

Regarding your "reminder": I guess that refers to other people having uploaded replays into the levels thread.
I was able to download somebody else's replays for my levels before those posts were removed, but of course I agree that any posts containing replays to the new-skills levels should go here in the present general-discussion thread, as usual.
My packs so far:

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2021, 12:35:56 AM »
ok solved Niesch's V7 of Just a Slide Problem (used all skills)

Also I will put the replays in this thread(New Skills general discussion and not the New Skills levels one) since the other one is just for posting the levels but not the replays.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2021, 05:41:53 AM »
I am reminding people again - do NOT use the level sharing topic for anything other than posting levels!

There has been a major spike in posts that are not suitable for that topic showing up lately, to the point that I am considering whether I need to start issuing warnings for it.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel so strongly about this?

Also, it's only natural that people will want to discuss the levels and share replays in the space that feels most relevant.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 07:42:59 AM by WillLem »

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2021, 06:13:03 AM »
ok solved Niesch's V7 of Just a Slide Problem (used all skills)

Good solution! Thanks for playing. Here's another way to solve it:
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft