Author Topic: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Medium – Hard]  (Read 30335 times)

Offline David

• View Profile
Re: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Easy – Hard]
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2021, 01:16:08 PM »
Hello ericderkovits,

Thanks for these informations !
For level Blue lagoon : well done ! I like very much your solution, it's still quite difficult, and for me, it's not really a backroute. It's a nice alternative solution, even if you haven't used the pickup climber !!! So, for the moment, I don't think I will make any changes to this level... :thumbsup:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2021, 09:40:36 PM »
Yes, the videos of my solutions will start to appear in a few days. If I remember, I will link the first one here. ;)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2021, 03:30:44 PM »
I just want to bring your attention to my post here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5393.msg89831#msg89831

With the next update a bug in the swimmer behavior is being fixed and this will cause Morning walk 25 to become impossible.

This is an easy fix though which you can already prepare for if you want.

This is the problem: Level accidentally uses the 4 pixel threshold so that a climber now dives. (Wall right of the exit cave)

Solution: Extend that straight wall the climber shall use to climb out of the water a few more pixels into the water.

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2021, 11:43:31 AM »
Thank you IchoTolot ! Problem corrected ! :thumbsup:

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2021, 01:12:20 PM »
In "The lemmings Have Grown [Morning walk 05]", level's title is "Chimie de Laboratoire" : is it intended, since "Laboratoire de Chimie" (Chemistry Laboratory) is more commonly used.

I follow Icho's daily videos, and there are nice levels, indeed! Great job!! :)

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2021, 02:43:13 PM »
Hello LJLPM !

Yes, but the two expressions do not mean the same thing. ;P

"Chimie de laboratoire" refers to the chemistry practiced in laboratories. It is also, in France, a school disclipline in the universities.

However, of course, level's title could also have been "Laboratoire de Chimie" (Chemistry Laboratory) ! 8-) :thumbsup:

I follow Icho's daily videos, and there are nice levels, indeed! Great job!! :)

Cool ! Thank you ! But... wouldn't you rather play the levels than watch them ? ;) :lem-shocked:

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2021, 11:00:01 PM »
- ok! Thank you for the explanation :)
- unfortunately, atm, I don't have free time to play Lemmings (or other video games)... :(

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2021, 08:49:35 PM »
Hi David,

I just started playing through this pack. I have finished the Morning Walk rank, so I'm here to post my replays/feedback.

Also as promised here is the link to my LP of the pack: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJvLCF_p3iaXmqlEdEIdh5oN. Enjoy! :P

Just as a heads-up, I ran into Morning Walk 25 where it was impossible, but as it turns out I had an outdated version of the pack. This could had only happened where I downloaded the pack a really long time ago, and I must had forgotten to download the latest version before LPing the pack. Because I was up to Morning Walk 25 when I realized I had the impossible version due to the swimmer physics change, unfortunately 3 of my replays broke: Morning Walk 1, 12, and 15.

As a result, I was in a dilemma. I was wondering how I was going to go about with the LP. Like, should I simply record me solving each level individually and then reupload the videos with them merged, or should I tack it on the most recent LP video? In the end, I think I decided that since it's only 3 levels that I would simply just upload my solutions to them on this level pack topic.

In this case, Morning Walk 1 is the exact same solution as you see in the LP, while Morning Walk 12 is very different and definitely a lot harder than the version you see in the LP, and finally Morning Walk 15 is almost the same solution as the one you see in the LP, just the timing of the builders is different, as well as the need to fiddle with the RR.

So, in the file attachment, I attached the resolved versions of those 3 levels. Maybe what I'll do as well is simply show off the solutions to these 3 Morning Walk levels when I get to the end of the LP. Still, the old versions of them are there for you to watch even though the only one that's really different is Morning Walk 12.

General Remarks on the Pack So Far

First off, a lot of your levels are very nicely designed! :thumbsup: You certainly have a very keen, sharp artistic sense to your level designing. Indeed, I liked what I saw in the preview images on page 1 of this topic, and I was certainly amazed at how great they are to look at when I was playing through the pack. Nice job there. Some of my favorites visually were Morning Walk 1, 3 (Agrabah palace background), 9, 10, 15 (that rotating galaxy animation is cool!), 22, and 24. I think I also recognize some of the terrain on MW 25 to be from Freddi Fish's Maze Madness, so it seems that you're a fan of the Humongous Entertainment games? I too grew up with them.

Second, these are quite difficult for first rank levels. I was expecting levels that most won't have any trouble with that you usually find with the first ranks of many packs based on the Easy-Hard difficulty tag in the title. However, after playing and struggling through the first 5 levels to varying degrees, this is so not an Easy-Hard pack. Thus, I'm in complete agreement with Icho that Medium-Hard describes the difficulty of the pack more accurately. It's no fault of your own, though. You can take it from the long-time forumers here in that they will tell you that judging the difficulty of one's own work is very hard to do, especially since difficulty is quite subjective.

So, you might want to edit the topic title in the OP to reflect that. Simply go to the very first post, click "modify," and then edit the title to change the difficulty tag.

Now feedback on some of the levels themselves

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To be truthful, I was quite annoyed at how I was constantly getting stumped, although it's more due to how hard levels just kept showing up after one another, that I'm not used to getting stumped a lot, and that I was cranky from not enough sleep. Don't get me wrong, these are great levels and quite satisfying to figure out. Not to mention a lot of these levels are great to look at, so they can be admired for their artistic quality in addition to most being great puzzles themselves :thumbsup:

However, I did the first 5 Fast Walk levels in the most recent LPs as well, and I definitely noticed they're much easier than the corresponding Morning Walk levels. That definitely got me enjoying the pack like I hope I would, as I breezed through them quickly. Fast Walk 2 and Fast Walk 5 both took me some time, but they were still somewhat fairly quick in figuring out.

Just to let you know you can certainly fix up any levels in the meantime while my LP is in progress, but I generally don't bother going back to resolve any levels that might had changed in the meantime. I simply carry on with the pack on the latest version that I have downloaded until I finish the pack, as any levels that change are simply ones that I have already solved and hence doesn't impact any of the levels that I haven't gotten to or played yet.

I'm looking forward to playing more of the pack! Definitely enjoying the pack. Thanks for this awesome level pack! Keep up the great work ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2021, 09:58:00 AM »
Fast Walk rank finished, so I'm back with more replays/feedback. In contrast to the Morning Walk rank, nearly the entire Fast Walk felt like a breather rank, as it was a lot easier than the Morning Walk rank. Thus, I definitely started enjoying the pack way more, especially since the levels continue to be great both in visual and puzzle quality. In particular, there are two videos where I had 11 and 7 levels solved. You definitely remind me of Gronkling, another forum member who recently released a mini pack, where pretty much the thing about your levels is they're small and very short. They are sometimes easy, but most of the time they tend to be difficult, especially if done right. In Gronkling's pack, nearly all the 20 levels were deceivingly tough, especially in the Hard rank. Your levels tend to be deceivingly difficult as well, although that's definitely more true with the Morning Walk levels than the Fast Walk ones. There were only a few hard ones here, but in general the levels in the rank were quick solves.

Now for feedback on some of the Fast Walk levels:

Once again, nice job with these levels, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing more of the pack soon! So far, I've only solved the first Running level on camera and got stumped on the second. I will come back later on after a good night's rest.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline David

• View Profile
kaywhyn : I am very happy with your feedback on my work, especially because it's very detailed. ;) Initially, the levels in this pack were a bit easier and and some of them were lacking in interest. Thanks to IchoTolot, in particular, I reworked a lot of levels, which means that the difficulty is quite random : therefore, we will find levels of rank 4 easier than some levels of rank 1, but overall the difficulty increases gradually. However, I do realize that rank 2 is easier than rank 1. Damn ! :forehead: And I just corrected the title : "Medium-Hard" is righter, I agree !

Thank you for noting the care I take with the sets ;P, I am very sensitive to design and the artistic aspect in general, even if this isn’t what interests me primarily when I play a level pack. Like many players, I think it's the puzzle-solving that interests me the most ! :eyeroll:

For most of the levels, you have found the intended solution or a very close to the one intended !

Some feedback :

Thank you very much kaywhyn (in French scrabble, your nickname counts for 46 points !!!) ! :crylaugh: :thumbsup:

I'll watch your LP later ! :P

Bye !

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Medium – Hard]
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2021, 09:23:10 PM »
Running rank completed. Replays attached. Back to being difficult again, after an easy second rank. Nearly this entire rank was a huge and long struggle. There was still the occasional LP video where I was able to solve several levels, but for the most part solving times slowed to a crawl again in this rank.

Morning walk 8 : The button is actually a closed eye that opens… :):lem-mindblown: but, I agree, it looks like an envelope... :crylaugh:

Fascinating :crylaugh:

Okay ! I don't know the version of bsmith ! :-[

No worries. It's a level pack found in the v10 or older board.

Sorry again : I don't know "The Great Lemming Caper" ! I spent all my childhood in Agrabah, I cannot know everything... :lemcat: I have Jasmine's number - and Aladdin's number too - if you're interested ! ?????????:lix-evil::forehead:

Unless you're joking and messing around here, I'm not sure what you mean by Jasmine's and Aladdin's number ??? And don't worry about me mentioning these are worthless repeats of levels from the OL. I simply consider any repeat worthless if the solution isn't that much different from the one that a player might use on the difficult repeat version of the level. That's just my thought on repeat levels, though :P

Thank you very much kaywhyn (in French scrabble, your nickname counts for 46 points !!!) ! :crylaugh: :thumbsup:

Ah, that's really cool! :laugh: My nickname is apparently very valuable in the French version of scrabble. In the USA's version, it's only worth about half the number of points that it is in the French version. Now if only it was an acceptable word in the game :crylaugh:

I've also noticed that you tend to overuse exclamation marks. Unless you're absolutely trying to convey strong emotions/feelings, it's standard to use periods to end sentences instead. You're not the only forumer I noticed doing this, though. I told another member he was doing the same and since then he has used periods rather than exclamation marks for every sentence ;)

Halfway through the pack already! :lem-shocked: I continue to enjoy the pack both for the visuals and the puzzles, so I'm looking forward to playing more. So far had an attempt at the first 100 Metres level, but I just realized an idea that might work, so I will try it out on it soon :crylaugh:

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2021, 11:56:14 PM »
kaywhyn : I watched your LPs with pleasure and really enjoyed following the flow of your thinking, you are very patient and you take a really good look at things. I also like the fact that you are not using "CPM" (grayed out mode). ;)

To answer your questions :

- Z is the first letter of my maternal grandmother's birth surname. ;P

- The Lemmigns have grown : why ? For 30 years, they have evolved, they have more skills, so they have become real warriors ! :lemcat:

You mentioned the Dolly Dimple in several levels, and I was wondering what that means ? ???

Unless you're joking and messing around here, I'm not sure what you mean by Jasmine's and Aladdin's number
I was joking, but maybe it’s more like "phone number" in english ???

I simply consider any repeat worthless if the solution isn't that much different from the one that a player might use on the difficult repeat version of the level. That's just my thought on repeat levels, though
I understand very well ; and it's nice to let me know.

I've also noticed that you tend to overuse exclamation marks. Unless you're absolutely trying to convey strong emotions/feelings
Yes, that's right, I'll try to calm down a bit !!!!!! :lemcat::lemcat:

A few comments :

So, I decided to update my pack after you finish it : I'm just going to fix some backroutes.

Halfway through the pack already!   I continue to enjoy the pack both for the visuals and the puzzles, so I'm looking forward to playing more. So far had an attempt at the first 100 Metres level, but I just realized an idea that might work, so I will try it out on it soon 
Thank you very much ! The first 100 metres level is not difficult ! You just gotta find the trick (or the tricks). ;P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:11:03 PM by David »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2021, 08:59:07 AM »
100 Metres rank complete, so more replays and feedback. Same story as the Running rank, where there were plenty of difficult levels in this rank and hence solving times were quite slow as well. Still, I continue to enjoy the pack and there were still plenty of great levels in the rank :)

kaywhyn : I watched your LPs with pleasure and really enjoyed following the flow of your thinking, you are very patient and you take a really good look at things. I also like the fact that you are not using "CPM" (grayed out mode). ;)

To answer your questions :

- Z is the first letter of my maternal grandmother's birth surname. ;P

- The Lemmigns have grown : why ? For 30 years, they have evolved, they have more skills, so they have become real warriors ! :lemcat:

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying my LP very much. Indeed, this community seems to like them very much, as it's fun to hear the player/solver thinking out loud how to go about solving a level, as well as his/her thoughts on the levels themselves.

You mentioned the Dolly Dimple in several levels, and I was wondering what that means ? ???

If you're familiar with Crazy 2 - Dolly Dimple from ONML, you'll know why :P It refers to building in such a way so that only one lemming faces the opposite way from the rest of the crowd.

Unless you're joking and messing around here, I'm not sure what you mean by Jasmine's and Aladdin's number
I was joking, but maybe it’s more like "phone number" in english ???

Ah, yea, pretty much like "phone number" in English ;)

So, I decided to update my pack after you finish it : I'm just going to fix some backroutes.

That's a good idea. I figured you were going to wait until I have finshed the LP of the pack. Seems most of the level pack authors generally wait until I'm done LPing the pack instaed of update any chance they get to whenever I post feedback/replays. In this way, you won't have to release a lot of updates shortly after one another every time and can simply prepare a huge update for the pack.

4 ranks down, two more to go! So far, only had a look at the first level of the 400 Metres rank. I decided to throw that in in my most recent LP video because Tinker Bell is one of many of my favorite Disney characters ;) I will post here again when I finish the 400 Metres rank :) Looking forward to reading your feedback on the 100 Metres rank.

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2021, 08:46:56 PM »
Thanks kaywhyn for the explanation on the Dolly Dimple, I must have played it, but I can't remember. In fact, I played more of the Original and Christmas Lemmings. :P

So, if you're interested, I have attached my replays (of the intended solutions) for some levels, especially those where you found a more complicated or very different solution. :D

My feedback :

For now, I’m happy because I’m not seeing a lot of backroutes. However, sometimes you find solutions that are much more complicated than what I imagined. But, on the whole, your (re)solutions sound like I had imagined. I looking forward to watching the rest (in replay and LP). Thank you ! ;P

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2021, 10:28:37 AM »
400 Metres rank completely solved. Replays attached and of course more feedback. More hard levels here, but still very much enjoying this great pack of yours ;) Definitely slow going at first but progress sped up somewhat in the middle of the rank, and then slowed again somewhat near the end.

All rightie, 1 more rank to go! :) So far, I've only done the first two levels of the Marathon rank, and I got to say with the first one that's so cool how you pretty much remade a level from the Prince of Persia game into a Lemmings level. I haven't played the game myself, but I've seen Youtube videos of a playthrough of it sometime ago. So, 24 levels left to solve. I'll probably be through the rest of the pack in about a day or two. Almost done! ;)