Author Topic: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Medium – Hard]  (Read 29903 times)

Offline David

• View Profile
Re: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Easy – Hard]
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »
Hello Swerdis : that's right ! I thought all the backroutes had been fixed ! :lem-shocked:
:thumbsup:

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2020, 06:28:10 PM »
No. Those I discovered have not been fixed so far - Icho wants to do this when I completed the pack ;)

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
Okay ! Besides, I also found a very easy path in Stormy 8 (Broad Pit), using only two builders. I think it's a backroute ! :lem-shocked:

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »
When you have remaining skills in the end then it's actually always a backroute. Most level-creators don't provide red-herring-skills - since they often open backroutes. I backrouted this level (Broad Pit) too  - but I had only a basher and a floater left. Icho has youtube-videos of every level with the intended solution - so you can compare.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2020, 07:04:14 PM »
also Pieuw himself has his solutions too on Youtube minus the extra and special ranks, although there in Lemmini. Also I have converted Pimolems to Superlemmini.

NOTE: Though we should post anything for Pimolems in the Pimolems topic, since this is for David's new pack.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 07:10:24 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2020, 07:07:57 PM »
Swerdis : Alright, I understand ! So, I found a lot of backroutes ! :P

Here, my solution of Stormy 8 (Broad Pit)
:P

By the way, how do you attach a file ? ????????????

also Pieuw himself has his solutions too on Youtube minus the extra and special ranks, although there in Lemmini. Also I have converted Pimolems to Superlemmini.

Great ! I didn't know ! Thank you !! :thumbsup:

NOTE: Though we should post anything for Pimolems in the Pimolems topic, since this is for David's new pack.

It's true, sorry ! It's my fault ! :-[

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2020, 07:15:54 PM »
But sometimes these solutions don't work anymore because you (and I) played an already patched version. A good example ist Hurricane 19 which originally was created with 3 miners. But you will have to solve it with only 2.

Yeah, we should! My fault, too :-(

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2020, 07:19:13 PM »
RE: David

To attach something just use the attachments below the post and where it says choose file, just open your file. You can have up to 6 files(max 32.7MB). If there are more than 6 files(ie replays)
just use a compression method like winzip or winrar(this way you can have more than 6). Still must be less than the 32.7MB. Many times people use Dropbox or other programs for people to use
when this goes over. Especially for music files since they tend to use up a lot of space.

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2020, 07:21:34 PM »
As I understand it, only a few levels have been updated ! I see it's important for multiple players to play a level pack to spot and fix all the backroutes. It's very interesting ! ;)

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2020, 07:25:59 PM »
ericderkovits : I hadn't even paid attention : I must be blind !
:lem-mindblown: :D

Otherwise, I use MEGA (for packs, levels...) and Imgur (for pictures) !

Thank you very much !
:thumbsup:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2020, 07:32:34 PM »
When you have remaining skills in the end then it's actually always a backroute. Most level-creators don't provide red-herring-skills - since they often open backroutes. I backrouted this level (Broad Pit) too  - but I had only a basher and a floater left. Icho has youtube-videos of every level with the intended solution - so you can compare.

Not necessarily. You can have some skills leftover and while it might not be exactly intended, it'll still be deemed acceptable.

Not really relevant, since a lot of the levels have been patched out and so many of Pieuw's original solutions don't hold up anymore. Especially since Lemmini is very different from NL and the NL version is a conversion where the original glitch levels don't work.

As for posting in the relevant topics, should sound familiar to you, since I told you the same thing when you first started out. Admins, feel free to move the relevant posts to the Pimolems topic.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2020, 08:03:37 PM »
Thanks Pieuw ! ;) When you say "tribes skills", do you mean "new skills" ?
You are old fashioned, it's a shame ! :D
Yes, I mean skills that were not in the original game. I don't really know why but I've never been interested in Lemmings 2 and its gameplay additions. :XD: I like Lemmings the way it is: simple, basic, yet infinite in its possibilities. :laugh:

About Pimolems, I'll answer in the relevant topic :)

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2020, 09:10:27 PM »
Yes, I mean skills that were not in the original game. I don't really know why but I've never been interested in Lemmings 2 and its gameplay additions. :XD: I like Lemmings the way it is: simple, basic, yet infinite in its possibilities. :laugh:

Okay ! I can understand ! Either way, you're very good at creating simple, basic levels ! Bravo ! :thumbsup:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2020, 07:51:04 PM »
I played the pack a bit today and here is some feedback. Warning I will focus on stuff that can be improved here as these were the things that interrupted my enjoyment of playing the pack ;):

- First of all: The levels look really nice! :thumbsup:

-  I solved the first rank and parts of the last rank (1-8 + the last 2 levels) to get a feeling how this pack is difficulty wise. I would rank it simply as "Medium".

- The biggest thing to improve the pack would be: Throw out the timers! Out of the levels I solved the only nessesary timer I have seem would be: 1 11. That's it.
  So many times I had to rewind to: A) Increase the RR earlier while changing nothing else. B) Slightly change some assignments to save a couple extra seconds while still execution the same solution again.
  This just makes the pack a lot more annoying. Throw them out, put away the nostalgia that every level needs a timer. 95% of them don't need it and they make a otherwise good level way worse. Prime example: 1 05 where i had to rewind multiple times to turn up the RR again after I needed to change some assignments. Otherwise it was a good level!:)

- Some of the objects/tiles are very misleading. As they could be your personal additions I include the cases here in my feedback. If they are not your additions think about maybe replacing them:
  A) In 1 14 is fish is solid terrain. In 1 18 the fish is now a background object or even a trap. If it's your addition: Choose 1 for it and make it consistent!
  B) 1 15 the giant invisible updraft. I know what you want to emulate but because of the updraft I can't seee the trap's or exit's trigger area resulting in more frustraition. Also in 1 23 we also have a space level, but this time no low gravity.
  C) The invisible exit in 1 08 and 1 18! An exit should be visible from the start! Please, choose a locked exit that is visible.
  D) No one can see if this is a splat pad or an anti-splat pad. Please use the standard red one for clarity purpose.
  E) 6 08 - let's say I needed a while figure out what is happening here and how those custom invisible updrafts work. Simply use and extend a standard one to cover the rooms as this is really confusing.

--> General rule for tileset additions: Clarity over style! Nothing should be invisible or misleading.

- 1 20: Hidden trap! :devil: Make it visible!

- The difficulty is a bit over the place. 1 01 - 1 06 is way harder than 1 14, 1 16, 1 22 for example. The last level 6 22 I would not consider more difficult than 1 18 as well.

- I noticed quite the inflation with builders later on. Try to turn down the builderfests a bit in the future. ;)

My favorites so far were: 1 05 (without the timer), 6 04 and 6 05 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I attached my replays so far and will continue playing soon. :)

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2020, 10:33:13 PM »
Thank you very much IchoTolot for these comments and advices. I will soon be updating all my levels (without invisible traps, without time limits... and taking into account the adjustments you offer me) ! :thumbsup:

For level 1 05, time adds to the difficulty, I find. Otherwise, I just removed the time on most of my levels (no useful, that's true !), however, I left it on some of them. ;)

For the fish terrain, it only appear in this level. In all the others levels it is trap or decoration (fountain). But I just solved the problem ! Thank you !

I hadn't paid attention to the fact that the updraft masked the trigger zones ! But of course, I agree ! I just removed the giant invisible updraft and I replaced it with a updraft visible only on the areas necessary for the resolution of the level (same for Apesanteur level, in Marathon rank)

Invisible exits : I knew this would be a problem ! I will redo the animations so that only the outlines of the output are visible (I think), which will make it easy to locate them. :P

Concerning the builders, there are particular (fanciful) levels where they are essential, in particular in the rank 100 metres. It must be said that they were used a lot in Original Lemmings.

The progression in difficulty is quite random. In fact, there is little difference between the beginning (rank 1) and the end (rank 6). The difficulty evolves between medium - and medium + ;P, with occasional some rather very easy ! However, I am complicating the easy levels, so that the difficulty is medium everywhere (I prefer that way !).

Your replays : I don't have much to say, except thank you and bravo ! ;P

Morning walk :
Level 2 : nice, but we can do a lot easier !
Level 7 : well done : I hadn't thought of doing it like this.

Marathon :
Level 5: My solution is very different from yours, but yours might be a little more complicated, just a little ! ;) Good !

Bye !