Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack [Difficulty: Beginner]  (Read 22935 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack [Difficulty: Beginner]
« on: November 17, 2020, 04:33:08 PM »
It's finally here: The new NeoLemmix Introduction Pack! :thumbsup:

The NeoLemmix Introduction Pack is a great starting point if you want to get into Lemmings or specifically into NeoLemmix, but not nessesarily in its entirety. Especially the last rank is more as an introduction to advanced Lemmings.
The first 2-3 ranks are 100% recommended though as they introduce new features and skills in NeoLemmix.
After that it can be a good idea to maybe also take a look at some of the easier custom packs or maybe even at the first ranks of some slightly more difficult ones.
But in the end it's entirely up to personal preference. :)

1.) Download Link:

NeoLemmix Introduction Pack (V 1.9 ~ 319 KB): NeoLemmix Introduction Pack V 1.9

Contains the level pack in the newest version!

To update you only need to redownload + replace the files of the previous version.

2.) Installation:

1. Get a NeoLemmix player from: https://www.neolemmix.com/  and extract it into a folder of your choice (if you already have an up-to-date player you can skip this step)
    Also make sure you got all the styles that are linked in the player section there as well and extract them into your player's "styles" folder. The pack uses some non-standard tilesets and
    therefore needs the collection.
2. Unzip "NeoLemmix_Introduction_Pack.zip" into the main folder of your Neolemmix player.  ../levels/NeoLemmix_Introduction_Pack should exist now.
3. Run "NeoLemmix.exe" and press F2 in the main menu so you can access the pack through the level browser.
4. Enjoy!

3.) Ratings:

Skills

Just Digging Into NeoLemmix:

An introduction to the basic controls of NeoLemmix as well as all of the different lemming skills the engine provides.

Objects & Functions

Follow The Arrow!:

Introduces all the different objects of the game, as well as important functions that will aid you while playing. Also, you will encounter non-original terrain styles.

Basic Training 1

Delaying The Inevitable:

Here basic tricks are being taught and your general sense for solving levels will be trained.

Basic Training 2

Fancy Fencer:

We've got a lot of stuff to cover so more tricks and training awaits you here!

Advanced Training

Walking Over Dead Bodies:

Introduces more advanced and precise tricks. Your knowledge from previous ranks will be tested as well.

Warning! This rank is dedicated to those who want to dig deeper into the mechanics of NeoLemmix. A bunch of the tricks in here appear quite rarely in custom level packs and require pretty precise execution combined with a deeper knowledge of the games' physics. So it might be a bit too much for more casual lovers of Lemmings from here on out! Be warned!

4.) Thanks to all beta testers:

Proxima, namida, Dullstar, Strato Incendus, WillLem, joshescue18, DireKrow, kaywhyn, and uberwolfie.

5.) CONTACT INFO:

Via email you can reach me at: ScavengerW@gmx.de

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Elfo3E1jTl-SHlOy97kwA

Further feedback is always welcome! :thumbsup:

There will be switch ups in the level order in the future though as new skills/objects/tricks will be introduced. Therefore I recommend saving replays through the level name and not rank+position!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:02:59 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack [Difficulty: Beginner]
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 07:16:07 PM »
I've uploaded the entire LP of this pack in one go (18 parts), it is contained in my 2020 Tutorials playlist which I have linked below :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXsuXbpwwJzHDOrD_1Nkiw14A02IsBRR-

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 04:32:59 AM »
I'm aware that Icho needs to make some further tweaks/updates to the Introduction Pack, but once it's in its final state I'd definitely nominate it for inclusion with NeoLemmix alongside Redux :thumbsup:

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 01:25:29 PM »
I agree! I was also going to suggest that it eventually replace Reunion in the suggestions section of the "Welcome to NeoLemmix" thread, but I can't seem to find it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 05:48:05 PM »
I'm aware that Icho needs to make some further tweaks/updates to the Introduction Pack, but once it's in its final state I'd definitely nominate it for inclusion with NeoLemmix alongside Redux :thumbsup:

If IchoTolot's alright with it, I'm happy to start including it alongside V12.11 stable.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 09:44:08 PM »

If IchoTolot's alright with it, I'm happy to start including it alongside V12.11 stable.

I would be alright with it. :)

Next patch for those who wonder will be after the time rtw finishes his playthrough of the pack.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 07:38:01 PM »
^ After some thought, one issue does come to mind here - the heavy use of custom styles in this pack. NL currently ships with only a handful of styles: default, special, xmas, and the Orig (including Sega) and Ohno styles was the intention. Already one custom style is included, orig_dirt_md, for the sake of Redux. One style (and one that's unlikely to see further updates, at that) is one thing - a whole bunch of them though, really just takes us back to the times where the NL and styles were one huge download, so will not be happening.

So I'm wondering - do people think it would be preferable to include this pack and rely on the style manager or manual downloads; or would it be preferable to not ship this pack with NL?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 07:58:12 PM »
I feel like custom tileset use should be encouraged personally. Coming from someone who has played the pack, I think the pack does a good job at showcasing the custom tilesets by various authors.

Judging by the fact that I'm on the brink of releasing a fully customised NeoLemmix pack this year, this opinion of mine doesn't really come as a surprise. I feel like people should be able to explore the different custom tilesets which NeoLemmix has to offer.

The Introduction pack should come with the NeoLemmix download personally, I think NeoLemmix should intuitively download the styles automatically for the player whom is attempting to play the pack, the player has come that far now and these features should be encouraged.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 10:09:10 PM »
I could make a list of the custom tilesets I used, but their inclusion was intentionally. Most packs use custom tilesets and the player should get familiar with them.

I still am in favor of packaging NL with the full standard library and give an option for the minimal download!

Reason:

- Most people just want to download the game and get everything! For updates it's a different thing, but the first install I bet 90% just want to get everything and be done with it. :8():

Or: Make an option/checkbox with the installer to get the full standard library and set it on by default and people can uncheck it if they don't want everything.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 12:37:40 AM »
+1 for what Flopsy and Icho said

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 07:09:57 AM »
OK, with some help from Flopsy's above video, I solved all of the intro pack, and I'm hoping to put up a list of time records there. Firstly, I'm going to upload my replays here to check for any possible backroutes; O&F1 and BT1 1 are some of my examples of notable differences.

There will be switch ups in the level order in the future though as new skills/objects/tricks will be introduced. Therefore I recommend saving replays through the level name and not rank+position!

I must admit I forgot about that, and submitted everything by position instead. :-[ I did have the most recent version though.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 02:22:04 PM »
Thanks for the replays! :thumbsup:

Will go through them when I prepare the next patch (probably after rtw finished his YouTube playthrough).

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 03:29:16 PM »
Big update: V 1.1 is out! :thumbsup:

New levels:

- 3 21 Zombie contaiment methods using blockers/stackers.
- 3 22 Miner+bomber, climber+bomber.
- 3 23 Training.

- 5 08 Releasing 2 blockers with 1 bomber.
- 5 09 Stacker step up using miners, miner extension with stackers.
- 5 10 Training.

Changes:

- 1 05 Pre text: Nuke botton is mentioned to end level and get rid of blockers.

- 2 09 Pre text: Especially calls out the pink marker of the splat ruler to be the relevant one.
- 2 15 Pre text: Highlight lemming is now displayed with the correct user hotkey.
- 2 16 The level has been simplified a bit by making the platformers + bashers pick-ups.

- 3 07 Pre text: Mentiones that the digger can be released with a builder.  + Backroute fixed by removing the lower left wall.
- 3 09 Backroute fixed - more ice blowers!
- 3 12 A fiddly variant was removed by adding steel.
- 3 16 Fixed visual issue.

- 4 02 Fixed visual issue.
- 4 20 Builder placement has more variance now due to added terrain blocks.

- 5 01 Pre text: Waring text regarding this rank has been added.
- 5 03 Pre text: explains the fencer part better now.
- 5 04 Gaps have been adjusted to make a certain potential backroute clearly not possible.
- 5 07 Level has been reworked and simplified + Pre text: Explains stacker overhang.
- 5 12 Pre text: Is more precise. + RR has been locked.
- 5 13 Pre text: Is more precise.
- 5 17 Level has been reworked and simplified + Pre text: Explains blocker teleport.
- 5 19 Added a background image to make the terrain edges clearer.

Warning! Some of the new levels include recently added styles. You probably might need to update your tileset library. ;)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 05:08:01 AM »
New (and my affected) replays attached. 12 in total.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 11:07:21 AM »
Acceptable or intended except for one case: 5 10

Therefore: V 1.2 is realeased!

Fixes:

- 5 10 Fixed backroute with some extra terrain.