Author Topic: Split the challenges board?  (Read 182 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Split the challenges board?
« on: November 14, 2020, 07:54:52 pm »
The only way to minimise the task of searching would be to split everything and have separate topics for every challenge-pack combination; but then the cost is that it's harder to find a particular thread, or to know whether a relevant thread even exists yet. I see this as a much worse problem, so I am not seriously considering this option.

Option C: Split the "Challenges" board into one board for official games, and one for unofficial games / packs. Have an index topic in each. My preference would be to group by challenge; but group by pack (or perhaps, have both lists) is also feasible. We can then have one topic per pack-challenge combination.

I would personally say that "Maximum Saved" should be listed first, regardless of what decisions are otherwise made with regards to ordering.

What do people think of this idea?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 08:01:15 pm by namida »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Split the challenges board?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 08:19:23 pm »
Link to previous discussion

I am strongly against the idea of having one topic per pack-challenge combination, because it's already hard to find particular topics when I want to check a result (except for the most active topics such as SYCLW that tend to stay near the top); this would make that a lot worse because the number of topics would explode straight away and would continue to increase further. Also, anyone who wants to know whether we have any results yet for, for example, PimoLems SYCLW would have a tedious search to find out whether such a topic exists.

Further, we'd lose having a nice overview of results and being able to easily compare packs with each other. I guess maybe other people don't value that as much as I do.

Also importantly, I don't see what we'd gain. I've compiled the replays for max saved and SYCLW into zips and attached them to the opening posts of both topics, so there's no problem any more with being unable to find a replay. It's true that it's awkward to find discussion of a particular result, but how often does one want to do that?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 08:40:04 pm »
I am strongly against the idea of having one topic per pack-challenge combination, because it's already hard to find particular topics when I want to check a result (except for the most active topics such as SYCLW that tend to stay near the top); this would make that a lot worse because the number of topics would explode straight away and would continue to increase further. Also, anyone who wants to know whether we have any results yet for, for example, PimoLems SYCLW would have a tedious search to find out whether such a topic exists.

Hence this:

Have an index topic in each.

Online WillLem

• The Optimizer 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 08:53:45 pm »
it's already hard to find particular topics when I want to check a result

Precisely the reason I created a records thread for Lemminas.

Saying that, I can see how lots and lots of individual threads could get equally messy and difficult to navigate, but maybe there's a way of sorting it all out that we haven't thought of yet. Since you're mod, and you yourself admit that it can be hard to find certain topics/results, I'm sure you could come up with something to keep it all a bit more organised.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 12:44:54 am »
Okay so - how to split up topics within the Challenges board(s) is one thing but; regarding in and of itself the idea of splitting it into a board for offical games/packs + a board for unofficial ones?