Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.10.3, Editor V1.32 Released  (Read 10452 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
NeoLemmix V12.10.3, Editor V1.32 Released
« on: November 14, 2020, 12:47:39 AM »
Alright - this one's for you, record seekers, or those who like using the mouse, or those who have widescreen monitors!

NOTE: V12.10.3 and earlier will no longer get new style updates via the Style Manager. At some point in the future, Style Manager in these versions will stop working altogether. This does not affect V12.11.0 and newer. The all-styles ZIP linked below will remain available permanently; future style updates may work with these versions but it is not guaranteed.

NeoLemmix V12.10.0 is here, and brings with it some significant overhauls to the design of the menu screens. Mouse-friendliness, widescreen, more info on level select, multiple talismans instead of one-at-a-time on the preview screen. Also, you can now easily view your records - and on top of the existing records for most lemmings saved and fastest time, NeoLemmix now tracks your record for fewest total skills and fewest of each individual skill too. In terms of smaller features; it's now possible to have a priority order list for musics or to specify random selection of music, and by semi-popular request, the option to disable skill shadows is back. And as with every update, there's some bug fixes too.

Changelog, V12.9.4 -> V12.10.0 (click to show/hide)

Changelog, V12.10.0 -> V12.10.1 (click to show/hide)

Changelog, V12.10.1 -> V12.10.2 (click to show/hide)

Changelog, V12.10.2 -> V12.10.3 (click to show/hide)

Download: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=488 (permalink to V12.10.3 w/ updated Lemmings Redux)
Styles: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=491 (permalink to 2020-02-07)
Editor: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=471 (permalink to V1.32)

You no longer need to download the styles; this is just provided for if you want to quickly grab all of them in one go. You can instead download styles as needed in-game.

If you are upgrading from V12.9.X or earlier, please set up in a new folder (you can copy over your Levels and Settings folders). If you are upgrading from V12.10.0 RC builds, you can just extract over the top of it.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 07:57:24 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0 Released
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 12:47:45 AM »
If your replays are not working, first try using the Replay Refresher tool on them.
All bugs that did not relate to out-of-date format (which the refresher can fix), turned out to be unrelated to the update. Any replay that worked on 12.9 and is not in an out-of-date format should also work on 12.10.
If a replay works on 12.7 or 12.8, but does not work on 12.9 or 12.10, it is likely impacted by the glider bug fix in 12.9 and will need to be re-done manually.

Note that the Refresher tool should NOT be used on any replay that uses the Jumper skill.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:00:29 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 05:39:45 AM »
Got to try out v12.10 stable, and I got to say everything looks great! :thumbsup: Also, thank you so much for restoring the "click on empty space to go to the level preview screen" behavior. Truthfully, the absence of the behavior was the main reason why I stuck with v12.9.4. It's a shame too, because I was really loving what I was seeing in the v12.10 RC builds. Now that the behavior's back, I'm very happy again, and I've definitely moved on to using v12.10. It sounds lame, I know, just because of this one thing that was gone that made me not want to use v12.10.

I'm also happy to report that none of my replays and the ones I have broke and therefore they all work without issue :) Not sure why some others are having problems with replays breaking in this newest NL version, though. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 05:43:25 AM »
Got to try out v12.10 stable, and I got to say everything looks great! :thumbsup: Also, thank you so much for restoring the "click on empty space to go to the level preview screen" behavior. Truthfully, the absence of the behavior was the main reason why I stuck with v12.9.4. It's a shame too, because I was really loving what I was seeing in the v12.10 RC builds. Now that the behavior's back, I'm very happy again, and I've definitely moved on to using v12.10. It sounds lame, I know, just because of this one thing that was gone that made me not want to use v12.10.

I'm also happy to report that none of my replays and the ones I have broke and therefore they all work without issue :) Not sure why some others are having problems with replays breaking in this newest NL version, though. 

Huh? Where have there been reports of replays breaking?
My Lemmings projects

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 06:33:55 AM »
Not in this topic, but in a NL level pack topic :P I can't verify that the problem also occurs with me and not just with the user who reported it, though, since I don't have replays for Reunion and I'm not sure whose replays are being used. This won't be a problem for me, since I haven't solved any of the pack on NL yet and therefore any that I get from when I get to solving the pack in this NL version myself won't have problems. Might just be a problem on the user's end, perhaps with the NL installation, but it was reported that a fresh re-install still ended up with the same problem with the replays.

In any case, other than your replays for the two Doomsday levels that I reported which still don't work for me, all of mine that I got from solving the packs myself, as well as the ones I have that I watch after I solve the level(s) myself, work without issue when I copied over everything from 12.9.4, so I'm solid here and have no issues on my end to report with this NL version in regards to replays ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 06:42:53 AM »
hey Kaywhyn , I can Pm you my replays for reunion and you can test it on your end in 12.10. I just tested the reunion replays in 12.94 and they all are good, but for some reason they fail in the
new 12.10 version. Of course you don't have to watch any since you haven't played the pack yet in NL. But at least you can mass replay check my set.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 06:44:42 AM »
Sure, go ahead, eric.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 06:48:31 AM »
The only thing that comes to mind is, are the replays in a very outdated format?

You could try running them through the Replay Refresher to see if this helps. Note: Do NOT use this tool on any replay for a level that uses the Jumper skill; it almost certianly will not handle this cleanly as it pre-dates the Jumper being added. Shimmier is fine.
My Lemmings projects

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 06:49:31 AM »
no this is Lemmings reunion, so it only uses the classic 8 skills. and it passes 12.94

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 06:51:43 AM »
no this is Lemmings reunion, so it only uses the classic 8 skills. and it passes 12.94

Whether the replays pass on 12.9.4 doesn't matter; what matters is which version the replays were made with. Although they do need to be quite old before this will be a problem IIRC - but try it on the offchance it helps.

If it still doesn't work, please send me the affected replays (via PM or post them here, up to you).
My Lemmings projects

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 07:04:44 AM »
Yup, thanks to namida, the refresher tool did the trick. Before that, I got the same result that eric reported, where so many came up with "level not found." After putting them through the replay refresher tool, they now all pass.

@eric Consider the problem now solved and you can now use v12.10 again.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 07:10:18 AM »
yes thanks kaywhyn , Namida's refresher worked for me too. So problem solved, I did notice some of the replays were like 2018,so I guess it matters for 12.10.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »
yes I had to use Namida's refresher on Dovelems and Pimolems too now too as those replays showed errors in the levels. I guess I'll have to check all my packs replays to fix any with Namida refresher program.
I think only replays that are old do this in 12.10 as Namida mentioned.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 12:30:54 PM by ericderkovits »

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 08:36:35 PM »
@zanzindorf

Great work with the new menu graphics, it's looking fantastic. I've used the Chicle ones you sent me :lemcat:

Do you by any chance have a copy of the logo as just writing, i.e. without the 2 lems?

Offline Lehnah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 01:04:08 AM »
I've been out of the loop for a bit and was so excited when I found this. Awesome work, namida! I love the Redux idea, brilliant stuff. Just two questions if I may; what are the styles for and how to we use them? I've downloaded a few that sound interesting but can't find what they have done. Also, what does the small brown icon with a circle in the middle next to level names in the Level Select indicate?

Chers.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 01:33:10 AM »
I've been out of the loop for a bit and was so excited when I found this. Awesome work, namida! I love the Redux idea, brilliant stuff. Just two questions if I may; what are the styles for and how to we use them? I've downloaded a few that sound interesting but can't find what they have done. Also, what does the small brown icon with a circle in the middle next to level names in the Level Select indicate?

Chers.

"Styles" are what many games would refer to as "tilesets". It's more or less just a Lemmings tradition - which if I'm not mistaken, began with Cheapo (prior to this they were "graphic sets") - to use this name, perhaps influenced by that they're not actually tile-based. A few of them come with NeoLemmix - those from original Lemmings, Oh No More Lemmings, Holiday Lemmings, and the Sega style from the Master System version of Lemmings. NeoLemmix will prompt you if you try to play a level that requires a style you don't have.

The icon you're referring to is actually two icons that are stacked on top of each other. The small circle marks a level as not yet completed, and changes to a green tick when you beat the level. The larger brown graphic is the talisman icon, which indicates that the level has one or more talismans that you have not yet unlocked. You can think of talismans as being NL's version of trophies / achievements, although there are fairly strict rules on what the criteria can be - they could either outright be just for completing a certain level; or else they could be obtained through any of the following (including in some cases, a combination of several of these):
- Saving a certain number of lemmings
- Completing the level in under a certain time
- Solving the level within a certain number of total skills
- Solving the level within a certain amount of any individual skill

Lemmings Redux is a great way to relive the classics (and maybe play some of the official levels you might have missed) and ease yourself into NeoLemmix, but the real fun starts when you get into fanmade level packs (or make your own) - that's what NeoLemmix is really about!
My Lemmings projects

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 05:59:14 AM »
Just a quick wondering - what's the reason for the separate UP/DOWN arrows for the group sign when they're also printed on the group sign?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 06:23:13 AM »
Just a quick wondering - what's the reason for the separate UP/DOWN arrows for the group sign when they're also printed on the group sign?

They're not, at least in the default ones (custom ones may differ). The point of them being separate graphics, as a whole, is for outlining when hovered over.
My Lemmings projects

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 09:56:22 AM »
They're not, at least in the default ones (custom ones may differ). The point of them being separate graphics, as a whole, is for outlining when hovered over.

Ah, of course! I'm using the Chicle font ones that zanzindorf sent over! :forehead:

Anyways, this is good to know for future reference when making custom cards.

Offline Lehnah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 10:33:12 AM »

Lemmings Redux is a great way to relive the classics (and maybe play some of the official levels you might have missed) and ease yourself into NeoLemmix, but the real fun starts when you get into fanmade level packs (or make your own) - that's what NeoLemmix is really about!

Although I played heaps of Lemmings back in the day, I've never actually completed it. I could never figure out how to do Heaven Can Wait (We Hope) in the time limit, for example. I'm really keen to try and finish all the official stuff before delving into fan levels, especially as I read those can be harder. :lem-mindblown:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 05:49:19 PM »

Although I played heaps of Lemmings back in the day, I've never actually completed it. I could never figure out how to do Heaven Can Wait (We Hope) in the time limit, for example. I'm really keen to try and finish all the official stuff before delving into fan levels, especially as I read those can be harder. :lem-mindblown:

Oh, there are custom packs that would make "Save Me" seem like "Just Dig", but there are some easier ones out there - and it's a known matter in the community that we need more easy ones, with some creators actively trying to make such packs.
My Lemmings projects

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2020, 09:21:33 PM »

Welcome (back) to the forums! You'll find there is a wide variety of ability levels on here, and everyone is happy to help each other out and teach each other new methods and tricks for solving.

As namida said, original Lemmings is much easier in comparison to some of the custom content. However, this isn't necessarily because of the puzzles, in fact I'd say it's largely down to the fact that most (if not all) of the execution difficulty has been removed from the game by NeoLemmix. You should find it a lot easier to make your way through!

Offline Lehnah

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 11:26:10 PM »
Quick question; if I fail a level and go to replay it, is there a way to stop the reply of what I did the previous attempt all at once, or do I have to delete each individual entry from the replay menu?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 11:28:51 PM »
Quick question; if I fail a level and go to replay it, is there a way to stop the reply of what I did the previous attempt all at once, or do I have to delete each individual entry from the replay menu?

Click in empty space, or if you have one assigned, press the "Cancel replay" hotkey. This cancels every replay action that has not already been performed - by extension of course, if you do it at the start of the level it erases everything.
My Lemmings projects

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 12:06:25 AM »

You can also make it so that a backwards frameskip cancels the replay from that point on. It's in the F3 menu under Interface > Don't Replay After Backwards Frameskips. I used to have this option checked and I found it very handy as a kind of quick "mistake eraser" until I got used to using NeoLemmix's extensive Replay features, which do take some time to get used to. Now, I don't have this option checked because I find it more useful to always be working alongside a replay I'm creating and modifying more intricately as I'm going along.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0, Editor V1.30 Released
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 02:12:55 AM »
Uploaded Editor V1.30. This fixes a single bug, which may cause some levels that use terrain grouping to fail to load.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Lehnah

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0, Editor V1.30 Released
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 10:07:58 AM »
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0, Editor V1.32 Released
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 05:42:10 AM »
Editor V1.32 released, which fixes two bugs with loading levels that rely on aliases.

One of these bugs also exists in NL itself, too. A 12.10.1 update to fix this will be coming within the next day or so - I've already implemented this fix itself, but want to slip a few others in too.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.1, Editor V1.32 Released [12.10.1 update!]
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 06:48:24 AM »
And, here's the NeoLemmix V12.10.1 update. Aside from the alias fix, it includes a few other fixes / QoL improvements too; check the changelog in the first post.

Attached zip can be used to upgrade from V12.10.0 stable ONLY - please use the full download on the first page if upgrading from anything else, RCs included.

There has also been a tidyup to some of nin10doaddict's styles. Please delete the following styles, and redownload them via the style manager or the all-styles download on the first page:
- nin10_cattrap (no longer exists - merged into nin10_misc)
- nin10_misc
- nin10_TADragon
- nin10_TALava

Note that the names of the last two have changed slightly. Levels using those styles should work without issue once you have the updated styles AND the V12.10.1 NeoLemmix update, but please run a Cleanse Levels on them for good measure.

(There is also an update to the "default" style, but this is included in the upgrade ZIP.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2020, 04:41:21 AM »
Ok, I have no idea what's going on, but for some odd reason loading any level pack or any level before getting to the level preview screen takes 10-15 seconds instead of instant or just 1 second (at least for my laptop, since I have an extremely fast one). When I was playing several hours earlier, there was no problem at all. Now this comes up. See attached video. It happens when loading any level pack or any level. Also, it only happens when opening up NL for the very first time. Once the pack/level loads up after 10-15 seconds, all other load-ups take only a second/be instant in the same session. If you exit out of NL after this, the problem will show up again. If this is something that can't be fixed very quickly, I will just use v12.9.4 in the meantime.

Update: I did a fresh install of NL and no problem there. Everything loads after 1 second. However, when I copied my levels folder over, the 10-15 long pause before loading is there again.

Update 2: I checked on my 3-year old Dell XPS 9560 laptop (the laptop that I had before my current Dell XPS 9500) and same problem occurs there, so it's not just my current laptop that has the long loading times. Perhaps others are having the same issue as well, not just me.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 05:24:13 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2020, 06:13:26 AM »
Does this still happen if you turn off the update check?
My Lemmings projects

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2020, 06:19:03 AM »
Thank you, disabling the update check did the trick. Do you suppose it has something to do with the server move? This long loading time has never happened until now, and I've always had the update check setting enabled, so it's weird that it's now causing problems for me. I can confirm that the problem doesn't happen on v12.9.4, even if the update check is enabled. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even prompt me to download v12.10 like it used to.

edit: I ran an anti-virus scan and no difference in the loading time when the update check was enabled.

edit 2: Did another fresh install and indeed the long loading time is there when the update check setting is enabled. Disabling the update check fixes it. So, for me it doesn't matter if it's a fresh install or not. Either way, the long loading time is there when the update check setting is enabled, and as mentioned the fix is to disable the setting. This means something is up, since several hours ago there was no problem in loading times when it was enabled. I have always had it enabled, so no idea why it's causing long loading times now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 06:33:58 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2020, 06:21:00 AM »
Not likely, but I'll look into it.

EDIT: It's not making any difference for me - about the same impact it's usually had (taking into account my internet connection is not particularly fast).
My Lemmings projects

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2020, 10:00:27 AM »
Before I go ahead and compile my records for GeoffLems into the various topics, I'm wondering if there's a planned 12.10.2 update which will include the XX/YY records feature, or whether this will not appear until 12.11?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2020, 10:05:55 AM »
No plans for 12.10.2 at this stage. It's that if one DOES happen due to a major bug (or enough minor fixes / improvements), it will include that tweak.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.2, Editor V1.32 Released [12.10.2 update!]
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2020, 06:55:33 PM »
V12.10.2 released. Includes a few minor fixes / tweaks, as well as one major fix (for a bug that caused a physics difference when backwards framestepping or otherwise loading states in some cases); see first post for full changelog.

This should be considered a critical update. The major bug in question has likely been present since V12.9.0.

As usual - attached ZIP can be used to upgrade from any stable V12.10.X build.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 07:53:16 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.3, Editor V1.32 Released [12.10.3 update!]
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2021, 03:17:48 AM »
NeoLemmix V12.10.3 update released. This fixes a bug that occurs when the level select menu is opened from the preview screen, a level is selected, and then the menu is closed via the Cancel button.

Attached ZIP can be used to upgrade from any stable V12.10.X release. Otherwise, full download is in the first post.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.3, Editor V1.32 Released
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 11:29:46 PM »
Reuploaded V12.10.3 to include the updated version of Lemmings Redux.

If you already have V12.10.3 of NeoLemmix itself, no need to redownload it - just grab the updated copy of Lemmings Redux from its release topic.
My Lemmings projects