Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Builders & Bashers ONLY! With Skillset Editing  (Read 9219 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] Builders & Bashers ONLY! With Skillset Editing
« on: November 10, 2020, 01:28:25 AM »
The challenge is simple! Complete any pack using only Builders & Bashers.

You may edit the skillset for each level with as many Builders & Bashers as you like, but no other skills are allowed. The idea is to

a) Solve the level, obvs

and

b) Minimise the use of Builders & Bashers. Note that the TOTAL figure is what's important here, with solutions which spread the skills as evenly as possible being preferred (i.e. 3 of each is better than 6 of one, even though the latter eliminates one of the skills).

and

c) Save as many lemmings as possible!

Enjoy the challenge! :lemcat:

---

Packs played for this challenge (click link to skip to results):

Lemmings by DMA Design
Oh No! More Lemmings by DMA Design
Lemminas by WillLem
GeoffLems by Geoffster
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 03:56:27 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix][ANY PACK] Builders & Bashers ONLY!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 01:29:30 AM »
Original Lemmings

Please note that the following records have yet to be completed:
Levels in blue are of particular interest - replays provided

N.B. Results shown are for Maximum Possible Saved (100% unless noted).

Contributors: WillLem, Proxima, namida, nin10doadict

Fun (click to show/hide)

Tricky (click to show/hide)

Taxing (click to show/hide)

Mayhem (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:51:25 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 01:30:11 AM »
Oh No! More Lemmings

Contributors: WillLem, Proxima, nin10doadict

Tame (click to show/hide)

Crazy (click to show/hide)

Wild (click to show/hide)

Wicked (click to show/hide)

Havoc (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:53:56 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 01:30:33 AM »
Lemminas

Please note that the following records have yet to be completed:

Contributors: WillLem, Proxima, nin10doadict

Magical (click to show/hide)

Sensational (click to show/hide)

Tricksy (click to show/hide)

Pandemonium (click to show/hide)

*See this post for a Bonus challenge of all the "Requires Cloners" levels.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:52:44 PM by WillLem »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »
It should also be noted that the goal is to minimise the total number of skills, not each skill separately. (Results should have a "Total" column.)

Here's Fun 3 with 11 skills (10 builders, 1 basher).

Fun 12 is incorrectly recorded; it's 2 builders, 1 basher for any% and an additional 3 builders for 100%, so 5 and 1 in total.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 12:19:45 AM »
It should also be noted that the goal is to minimise the total number of skills, not each skill separately. (Results should have a "Total" column.)

Good shout! I've added a "Total" column. And yes, to clarify: the numbers shown are not "fewest of each skill in any given solution", they are "fewest of each skill in the same solution" - so the total figure is what's important.

I've updated the OP to reflect this as well.

Thanks also for the updates/corrections, I've updated accordingly :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:51:30 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »
Tricky records added. I'm working on Taxing this evening so will have that updated later as well :lemcat:

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 01:28:08 AM »
I think for Fun 23/Taxing 17 it should be necessary to specify whether you took the visible exits on the left or the hidden exit on the right. Based on my playing of the Fun version, I'm guessing you guys took the visible exits route. However, I was able to use 1 less builder. Same number of bashers, but 1 less builder. Shortly after that, I was able to reduce the number of builders, as well as use 1 less basher and hence bring down the total number of skills down to 18. 11 builders, 7 bashers. So, 5 less builders, 1 less basher, and so 6 less skills overall. See my replay.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After that, I decided to try for the hidden exit on the right. Here, I got 14 builders, 9 bashers, and so 23 skills total. See my replay. So even though I bested the record in the OP by 1 less total skill, here I reduced the number of builders by 2 (-2), but I used 1 more basher (+1), hence -1 (-2 + 1 = -1) net effect to the total number of skills used. So, it seems that it'll always require way more skills than the left visible exits, especially since I don't think it's possible to get anywhere near the 18 skills total I used for the left exits. So, perhaps it's not necessary to specify which exit you went for in the level, although I still think it's a good idea to and try and improve results just for the exits you went for, like how I drastically improved the result for the left exit with just 18 skills total. Now, can anyone improve my 23 skills total result for the right hidden exit?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 01:40:43 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 02:49:19 AM »
Thanks for the contribution kaywhyn, I've checked your replay in for both levels and updated the records accordingly. Nice work!

I've also now posted all initial results for Lemmings. I'm sure a lot of these can be improved upon, and some have yet to be confirmed. I'll do that tomorrow though, too tired to go through the replays now!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 03:53:52 AM by WillLem »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 03:35:35 AM »
Ok, improved the result even more for Fun 23/Taxing 17. Total skills now down to 16 skills, 10 builders, 6 bashers. Same replay, except

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 03:41:35 AM »
Brilliant stuff Kaywhyn! Records updated :thumbsup:

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 03:51:11 AM »
I guess what this challenge is aiming to establish is the smallest possible combination of skills that can solve every level. It would seem, from the results posted so far, that original Lemmings in its entirety can be solved using only Builders, Bashers, Floaters and Diggers (those levels which have 79/80 saved or that are currently impossible would be both possible and 100%-able with the inclusion of Diggers). It's probable that the same is also true for the Oh No! levels.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 09:14:54 AM »
I guess what this challenge is aiming to establish is the smallest possible combination of skills that can solve every level.

Or at least, the smallest combination including builders and bashers, since that was our starting point.

Could all levels be solvable with some combination of 3 skills? Because of splat hatch levels, one would have to be floater or glider; obviously one would have to be constructive and one destructive. But sometimes upward destruction is required (as on "The Boiler Room") and sometimes downward destruction is (as on "The Far Side"). Bombers can't be used, because some levels require 100%.

Next question, then. There are 16 ways to choose one of {floater, glider}, one of {builder, stacker}, one of {basher, fencer} and one of {miner, digger}. Do all 16 choices allow all original levels to be solved? (Not all custom levels will be solvable, because some levels may have a hatch over water and therefore absolutely require swimmers.)

(Platformers can't be chosen as the constructive skill; "Last one out is a rotten egg" shows this.)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 09:41:07 AM »
Actually... here's a horrible thought. There is one 3-skill combination that might potentially be able to solve all original levels, but it would be unbearably painful and tedious.

Anyone want to give that a try? :P