Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Allow override of default scroller text  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
[SUG][PLAYER] Allow override of default scroller text
« on: November 08, 2020, 01:10:29 PM »
The default scroller text is now 14 lines long, and each line takes 10 seconds to scroll past. While it's true that pack-specific text plays first followed by the default text, if the user is distracted and misses some of the pack-specific text, that's over two minutes they have to wait for it to come back.

(Including a butt joke. Yes, I know that "namida" and "kindergarten humour" are virtually synonymous, but you're putting this in the space that pack authors have to give credit to people who have contributed.)

Allow packs' info.nxmi files to include an "OVERRIDE" command that makes the scroller play only the pack-specific text and not the default text.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Allow override of default scroller text
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 03:46:39 PM »
(Including a butt joke. Yes, I know that "namida" and "kindergarten humour" are virtually synonymous, but you're putting this in the space that pack authors have to give credit to people who have contributed.)

What? :D But not something referring to his second name, is it?
Because every German forum member can make such jokes about that, and thus I'm pretty sure namida already knows. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 05:48:32 PM »
that's over two minutes they have to wait for it to come back.

Try clicking the scroller lemmings on either side. ;) (V12.10.0 and above only, including RCs.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 03:01:21 AM »
Just seen the new butt joke. Very amusing! :eyeroll: ;P

To be fair, scroller text can be completely customised anyway, so all you'd need to do is delete the lines you don't want from the info file.

Also, clickable lems - ace! :thumbsup:

EDIT: I've just seen that default scroller text no longer appears in the info file as of 12.10. In that case, I support the suggestion to allow an override (or, simply allow scroller text to be completely customisable like it is now).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »
Okay so - I'm not going to make a change here.

The actual NeoLemmix credits should be in-game somewhere. This is a relatively unobtrusive place to put them. As of V12.10, the scroller lemmings can be clicked to move backwards (or move forwards faster) through the texts, so it is far less hassle than it used to be to go back to missed texts. If an individual user is particularly keen to remove them, they could blank out their data/scroller.nxmi file.

With that being said, I can appreciate that perhaps a butt joke does not belong as part of these default texts, so I will take that out and leave just the actual credits.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)