Poll

Help Me Decide the Next Two Level Packs to LP. Whose Packs Shall I Give Some Loving To First?

Lemmings in Weirdyland (2023 edition) by weirdybeardy
2 (22.2%)
Quest from Kieran by kieranmillar
3 (33.3%)
Mikes Lemmings Version 2 (Rigel rank only) by Turrican
2 (22.2%)
Unusual Lemmings by Duuddu
1 (11.1%)
Festival Millas 2020 by Gigalem
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: kaywhyn's List of Completed LPs of Lemmings Packs and Upcoming Packs to LP  (Read 31520 times)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

I've already posted the link to the Q&A video here, https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1593.msg96098#msg96098, but I wanted to post it in my own topic as well.

After 3 months since the Q&A announcement video went up, I finally recorded the actual Q&A video answering some users' questions. Took me long enough :-\ Please note that there are some users I didn't get a chance to get to, as I decided to limit the duration to about a half hour. Rest assured I will answer the remaining questions in the next Q&A video, which I will hopefully do next weekend. Apologies for the long time between when the Q&A videos have gone up, but finally had the chance to actually do it.

Here's the link to it:

https://youtu.be/dOpvkpW4cEM

Enjoy learning more about me, as well as the face reveal! :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Added the LP of Lemmings Cranium Preview - Challenge Rank to the OP as another pack I finished, although note that this is a demo, as it is a portion of a full pack that Crane will be releasing at some point in the future when it's completed. The entire demo is all subsets, meaning they're just original levels from the official games with the skillset/save requirement/time limit tweaked so that an entirely new solution needs to be found to these levels. Hence, because I have played OL, ONML, and the Genesis exclusive levels, all the levels were familiar to me, although not so much with the last one, as I've spent the least amount of time with them. I don't remember too much of them. However, it was a lot of fun to revisit familiar levels, especially from OL and ONML, and I thought Crane did a great job with this Challenge rank.

For a lot of the levels, they're easy if you don't care much for the talismans, but even some of those without them are hard. This is especially true near the very end, where the four levels before the final one are all considered to be very hard from those who have played through the entire demo, myself included. In my opinion, Challenge 28 and Challenge 29 are quite close for sharing the title of hardest in the entire rank, although the latter is probably a tad bit more. At the same time, they both ended up being favorites of mine! So, nicely done there, Crane! :thumbsup:

If going for the talismans, some of them are quite hard! Although I don't care for them in general, I decided to try for them in my own time, as these are original levels from the official games, and I thought they would be doable for one such as myself. I was able to get all of them, but some of them took a while. For example, Challenge 21 was a very hard one to get, as I managed to get that with a second to spare in the requirement. Then again, my solution is super messy when I obtained it. However, I watched another forum member's solution which manages to obtain it with 3-4 seconds to spare. Good to know that there's still some leeway there!

It should also be noted that these 30 levels only use the classic 8 skills. I know that Crane is a diehard traditionalist when it comes to Lemmings, as am I. It was Lemmings Plus Omega that really opened up my eyes to the versatility of puzzles/solutions when you include the Neolemmix exclusive skills in addition the classic 8 skills. The possibilities are limitless, and who knows? There might be some more tricks that have yet to be discovered that no one has found, not even the solving greats! Or, they might have been found already, they just haven't been revealed and are probably kept top secret for now :crylaugh:

Needless to say, I definitely enjoyed this preview of Crane's eventual pack. After LPing this demo, I'm all hyped up for the full pack now! I'm sure it's not going to be easy, knowing that Crane is quite well-known for some very hard levels, but I am looking forward to his pack when it's done and ready. I was messaged by Crane just to be aware of his preview demo back in January of this year, but I didn't get around to LPing it until now. I'm happy to hear that he enjoyed watching my videos on his demo very much.

All rightie, now for the next Lemmings Plus pack in the series, LPIV. That is the next LP I have planned. Once that gets done, I think I might put up a poll asking for recommendations on another pack. We'll see. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Again, already posted the link here https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1593.msg96169#msg96169, but I want to post in my own topic too.

Part 2, and hence the rest of the Q&A, is now up. Special thanks again to SQRon188, Armani, Swerdis, and Apjjm for their wonderful questions!. If you didn't submit questions to me for this Q&A, don't worry. There'll be future opportunities for you to when I do more of these at some later point. I'm thinking of holding another one by doing another announcement video either in June or July. If you already submitted questions last time, you're more than welcome to do so again if you like, but I highly encourage anyone to submit questions to me just so you can get to know me more outside of the Lemmings community. Don't worry, I don't bite :laugh: Quite a nice, easygoing man for the most part, as long as you don't push my buttons :P

Also I might consider doing it via Youtube live next time, but I'll decide later, as I tried to see if I could set it up for this Q&A, and it ended up annoying me to the point that I decided to not do it that way. Perhaps it's something that I just need to get accustomed to. I kind of like the idea of a live chat, just beware that most of the time I'll be looking at the script I wrote for my responses to the questions and hence I won't be doing much chatting anyway :P Not to mention that it kind of goes against my preference for just doing things without chat and other stuff getting in the way and possibly distracting me. No one's fault at all, doing things solo is just the way I roll and work for the most part.

Link to the actual Q&A video below

Part 2: https://youtu.be/LXTeqwGfEA0

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have added the link to the LP of Lemmings Plus IV to the OP, as it is another pack that I have solved entirely. That now makes 7 packs of namida's (Lemmings Plus I through Lemmings Plus IV, Holiday, Omega, and Alpha) that I have played. Yup, I'm in complete agreement that LPIV is easier than LPIII. Sure, things got difficult in the Insane rank, but honestly the Fierce rank felt much harder despite being limited to just the classic 8 skills but the levels use Neolemmix features, such as locked exits and updrafts. I think I will also have to agree with Akseli's assessment that thus far, LPIV is one of namida's strongest packs. So, in a way this kind of has me more hyped up with the 3 remaining packs of namida's that I have yet to play. I am especially looking forward to LPV and LPO2, as these are considered his hardest, although maybe either arguably not as much as Alpha. At the same time, the high difficulties of these two have me worried, but then again I did beat Alpha, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing. However, I will not be overconfident that I will get through them with ease, as I still had my struggles with some levels in the other Plus packs too. Once again, I must emphasize that I get stuck on levels all the time, it's just that most of the time I can get them solved given enough time.

LPIV certainly started easy for the most part, although there's still some first rank Smooth levels that I can see tripping some players up. I pretty much got through all of them in one video, although Smooth 20, the final level of the rank, took me the longest. The levels in Bumpy were a tad bit harder, but these still didn't take too long to get solved. Then comes Twisted, where solving times started slowing considerably. The gears really started turning here with the difficulty, and "Clockwork Maze" was a very long struggle. I would also say that it was the hardest level of the rank. I even think it might be better as an Insane level rather than Twisted. At the same time, I did overcomplicate my solution to the level, but in general it's a very hard level. Finally, for Insane there were some difficult levels in there, but I honestly felt more resistance in the Twisted rank. For Insane, Insane 11 was the hardest for me, as can be seen in the LP, as that was the one and only level in the pack that needed more than two videos to get solved. A lot of the failures came from being constantly a pixel off being a safe drop or the timing didn't work out. I think namida said Insane 19 is the hardest, but I didn't think it was that hard. Unless there was a different level in that position before? The final few Insane levels weren't that bad, although I would agree that Insane 17 isn't easy at all, considering it's a big builderless level and uses a certain trick which is absolutely required and you won't get it solved without it.

In any case, despite being considerably shorter than LPO, I still enjoyed LPIV very much. As such, I do recommend this pack for others to play, although it's certainly not for beginners. As mentioned, there's still plenty of first rank levels with very limited skillsets that can still catch such players off guard and hit them hard with puzzly type levels. The difficulty only goes up from there, so you can certainly expect some very hard levels near the end of the pack.

I think I might have an idea to the next pack to LP, but I think I still need time to decide. Or, I might end up putting a poll asking the community's input on that. I'm not sure yet. As always, I will post in this topic again if I do end up putting a poll.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've added the link to the LP of Mobilems 2022 to the OP, as it is another pack that I have recently solved completely. I've also made a massive change to the OP in order to make the list more readable. With the links so tightly spaced, it was virtually unreadable and very hard to see where the different links were. Thus, I've spaced it out and it now seems to be more presentable and way better.

I also recently played through the Lemmini version of the pack after finishing the LP of the NL pack, and there were way more levels than I thought there were in this NL pack. Some I did remember at the time while I was doing the LP, but others I either vaguely recall or I forgot completely. That's how long it's been since the last time I played through the Lemmini version of the pack. In any case, it was great to play through some of the levels again after so long, especially with some of them now looking more solid/backroute proof in this NL pack, as some are not fixable on Lemmini due to the absence of some features, such as no pickups or preplaced lemmings on the latter.

Mobilems 2022, formerly Mobilems 3: The Lemmings Strike Back, is a NL pack consisting mostly of levels from both Mobilems and Mobilems 2, though there's still some levels that are completely new and not found in either pack. I have had only the pleasure of playing through Mobilems on Lemmini, but I have not played Mobilems 2 due to the download link in the release topic being broken. I'm hoping someone still has a copy of the pack available and would be willing to provide me it, provided that mobius is fine with it, which sounds like he is based on a Youtube comment he left for me in one of my LP videos. Thus, I don't know how hard the latter pack gets, but from the posts in the topic it definitely sounds like it's harder than Mobilems 1.

Some of the levels have remained unchanged, while others were slightly tweaked, mostly to use NL exclusive features, such as zombies. This means that while the Lemmini version of the level didn't have them, in the NL version they were changed to use the NL features. In some cases, this altered the difficulty drastically. In particular, I tend to have a hard time with zombie puzzles, although I'm of the opinion that these levels can be great if they are used well even though I find zombies very annoying. This especially shows in my designs, as other than one level I have made that has zombies back when I first got into level making last year, I haven't made levels that feature them since. At the same time, I've noticed there's plenty of NL features that I don't use heavily (teleporters, updrafts, etc), and so perhaps I should try and force myself to use them and think about good puzzles that involve them.

Since mobius' advertises the Lemmini pack as closer to the difficulty of the original Lemmings games, I expected it to be the same here for the NL version. That's not the case at all! In particular, I found the difficulty of the first rank, Friendly, to be wonky and all over the place, meaning I got surprised at how difficult the pack got in various places. In addition, I found some of the very early levels of the pack to be misplaced and difficult for their position and hence could be potential turn-offs for less experienced players. On the other hand, I went through the Lemmini version much faster and only in a few days. Thus, for the NL pack, I would rate the difficulty to be Easy-Hard. With some of the ones I have played before, it was just a matter of remembering how to solve them, but as it's been a long time, the lapse in my memory definitely shows during the LP. In the end, it doesn't matter much, as given enough time I can get levels solved. Besides, it's good to go through a level again and manually get it solved, as I consider it good exercise for one's brain. This is the major reason why I don't just run a working replay.

In any case, I enjoyed Mobilems a lot back when I first played it on Lemmini all those years ago, and I'm happy to see that it was true for the NL version. There were definitely a lot of brain-busting puzzles here that were quite satisfying to figure out, especially the ones that had shimmiers, which is one of my most favorite skills that's in NL. It was definitely a good reminder of why I liked Mobilems so much back then. I for sure did learn some useful tricks from the Lemmini version that came in handy here on some levels.

Once again, thanks mobius for the pack. Now to decide on the next pack to LP. I have no idea what's next ATM. I think what I will do is take a break from NL and try my hand at Lemmings 3D. I have never played the game, but I will tackle the base game first. Once I get through the entire thing, I will think about the next NL pack to LP. Either that, or I might even do another Q&A, as it seems the first one went pretty well with the community here. So much to do, so little time. I'm currently on my summer break from work, but it's going by way too fast. Pretty soon I will find myself back at work and therefore my time for Lemmings-related stuff will be very limited once more :( Until then, I'm trying to get as much done as I can while also surviving the brutal summer heat :evil:   

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Long overdue update made to the OP, where I added in the links to my LPs of Lemmings 3D on Dos and Lemmings Revolution. They are both under a separate heading of Other LPs, especially since I realize that I could use this thread to post all my LPs, not just the LP of NL packs. I think I will do the same with adding in the SL LPs, though I have a separate thread for that on its board.

During that time, I decided to take a break from LPing NL content and LP other stuff. In particular, I started off with an LP of a Lemmings game that I had never played before in my life, Lemmings 3D. I thought it would eventually get too frustrating to play because of the controls, but it actually wasn't that bad. I eventually came to enjoy the game very much despite some of its flaws. Granted, it took more videos than it needed because of there's no framestepping/rewinding when playing the game on Dos, although there luckily is replay. You will have the former if you decide to play with namida's Loap engine, which I will use when I LP his Lemmings Plus 3D pack later at some point. In any case, I'm quite happy that I took this detour to LP other stuff besides NL/SL content.

On the other hand, I have played and finished Lemmings Revolution before, but I've always wanted to record myself playing the game. I definitely remember liking the game a lot, even though I didn't quite do an entire playthrough of the game when I first played it while I was in high school. Instead, I finished the whole game sometime in the 2010s, I believe.

Be warned that it is a huge pain to get working properly on modern machines, particularly Windows 7 or after. I almost gave up in frustrating in getting the OBS setup right, but I persevered and I eventually found a nice working solution for it. It involved getting the game to run in windowed mode using a third party software. There were plenty of nuisances/bugs when trying to get it to work, but I was able to get it to work well enough to my liking. Now, the game is a bit worse than Lemmings 3D in that there's no replay and hence if you need to restart you need to do everything again from scratch for the level. This is mainly a huge problem for those especially big and long levels. After about a week or so, I managed to finish the entire game from start to finish. It definitely felt great to play the game again after so long.

With the completion of the LPs of these two games, I have returned to LPing NL content a few days ago. I have marked my return with an LP of namida's LPV. I'm slightly more than halfway through the pack, with 12 levels remaining in the penultimate rank and then a full final rank of 15 levels to go. I'm definitely liking it a lot so far, and I will remark some more on this pack once I get through all of it and post the link to the LP in the OP.

The poll that's up has been there since the beginning of this year, so I definitely need to take it down and will probably put up another one soon, most likely one asking what to LP next. Not necessarily Lemmings level packs, though. I recently got an idea from watching an LP of Colorful Arty's of a game that I used to play as a kid and made me come up with a list of some possible games that I might consider doing an LP of. You know, just as a way to mix up the content on my YT channel, as it's pretty much nothing but Lemmings videos :laugh: I'll be sure to make a post announcing it when I do so, so stay tuned and be on the lookout for it! ;)   

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: kaywhyn's List of Completed LPs of Lemmings Packs and Upcoming Packs to LP
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2022, 05:39:38 AM »
Added the link to my LP of namida's LPV to the OP, as that is another pack I recently solved entirely. Not counting the side entries of Holiday Plus and Lemmings Plus Omega, this is the 5th entry of the main Plus series. It is advertised as a "very hard" pack, even more than LPIII. I felt that was very true starting with the beginning of the Unruly rank, as I didn't think the first 3 ranks were challenging enough to be of higher difficulty than LPIII. At the same time, I think if you look at the way the pack already gets into very limited skillsets puzzle levels very early in the Blissful rank, then that's where the high difficulty can already be seen, even if the rank should be very doable for most players. Then again, from memory LPIV was kind of the same way, although there are far more open-ended levels in the first rank, and even the ones that were very limited on the skillset were simple puzzles.

I will note that a lot of the LPV levels were quite small in size and thus most were over quite quick. The size does pick up in the last two ranks for the odd level here and there, but most still stayed small. Early on in the LP, I would berate myself often for missing stuff that would prevent a level from being a solve, when namida has reassured me that the parts of solutions are simply quite well-hidden instead of being due to my personal stupidity. That's quite nice to know that he thinks I'm being too hard on myself, and I certainly agree there, as I have the bad tendency to doubt my abilities and not have that much confidence in them. Even though I've only posted publicly to the site for about 2.5 years now, I think I have cemented myself a place on the list of being one of the top solvers of the community, even if I have repeatedly said that I'm good, but not THAT good. In any case, this is what I gathered from what the community has made of my solving abilities, but even long before I got this positive feedback and praise, I have always accepted that I'm far from being the best solver, and I'm fine with that. For some time, I myself thought I was pretty good at the game itself, but nope. That was years ago, and I definitely started thinking otherwise when there were custom levels from the mini-Dos packs I couldn't solve back then. However, getting stuck is perfectly natural, but the most important thing is coming back and keep trying and realizing things until you get the level you're stuck on solved. That is how one gets better at level solving! Indeed, that was what happened, as pretty much every level I came back to I eventually got solved, usually by some key realization that would help make it a solve. I don't think there was ever any doubt from namida that I wouldn't be able to get through the pack, although I did start getting a bit worried about the difficulty eventually, especially as I got to the final two ranks.

Anyway, as for LPV, I immensely enjoyed the pack. I think I like this pack just as much as LPIV. I know namida has personally considered LPIV his weakest pack of the series, but I highly disagree there. Just like Akseli, I consider LPIV a strong and excellent pack. Other than continuing to use the NL skills/features instead of just restricting to the classic 8 skills, LPV uses 4 new tilesets: Abstract, Machine, Honeycomb, and Mineshaft. There are also some signature elements that continue here, such as the once-per-rank level, a builderless level near the end of the pack, and NTTD (No Time To Die) type level. For the last one, I consider this one the hardest such level I've played thus far, although I still have some I've yet to play. As for the builderless level, so far I like LP Alpha's and LPIV's the best ones I've played, though once again I haven't played all of them yet.

I think I have two more level packs that I would like to get to an LP of sometime this and next month, although they're smaller packs. I'm simply taking another break before I start LPing again. As for the Plus packs, LPOII is next, as that is next chronologically and I've been tackling them in this manner (LPA is the only exception, as I finished that at a time long before I got into LPing), but I likely won't start it until December at the earliest. If not, I might defer it to January of next year. Perhaps that's a good pack to start 2023, with a very difficult pack. We'll see.   

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2022, 07:24:57 AM »
Added the link to my LP of Sammings 2 to the OP, as that is another pack I have solved completely. As already noted in the level pack topic itself, this sequel pack is an improvement over Sammings, mantha16's first pack. Even though it's on the easy/medium side of things, I still enjoyed the pack. It is true that I love hard levels/packs, but I personally like levels of all difficulties.

Sammings 2 continues the trend of all levels in a rank are in the same style, with each rank named after what the style is called in the editor. However, there's far more diversity and variety in the layouts/solutions in contrast to Sammings, which was mostly identical layouts with small changes each time. The levels also tend to be bigger, although some of the later levels have a lot of empty space. Many of them can be done on a much smaller map, although I too have the same problem of being decorative with my levels, as that is an area I tend to struggle with. However, I recently gotten better with the visual side of my levels despite how I'm not much of an artist. The puzzles themselves is an area I seemed to have been great at from the get go ever since I made my foray into level designing.

In any case, I enjoyed Sammings 2 for what it's worth. Not to say that I didn't enjoy Sammings, because I did as well, but Sammings 2 definitely has more to enjoy than what Sammings has to offer.

Been a while since I've done any LPs, though I'm fairly certain I know what's next. At the same time, I've also thought up of some other great games to LP, one of which I definitely look forward to showing off once I get it started. I'm not certain if anyone has heard of it before, but well, when the time comes I will see.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2022, 08:25:26 AM »
Added the LP link of Lemmings Halloween 2017 to the OP, as that is another pack that I just finished solving. It is a Halloween themed pack by Raymanni (Ryemanni) and is his second level pack. It may be shorter than Raylems, his short pack, but it is not an easy pack by any means. Indeed, I was taken by complete surprise by how challenging the pack already is from the very first level. It's not to say that I didn't enjoy the pack, because I did immensely due to my love of challenging and difficult levels in Lemmings. Rather, I didn't expect the levels to be high in difficulty right out the gate. This is a pack that I've been wanting to LP for a very long time, but the download link in the level pack topic was dead for a long time, until Ryemanni returned to the Forums at the beginning this year after a very long absence. Once again, I thank him for restoring the download link and making it available for anyone who wants to get the pack and play it :thumbsup:

With only about 2.5 months remaining in 2022, I think I have only two more level packs planned for LPing until the conclusion of the year. In the meantime, there are some non-Lemmings games that I would like to do an LP of as a way to mix up the content available on my YT channel. One of them I am eager to do, as I don't know if there's anyone in this community who has heard of it. It is quite an old game and one that I played back in the 90s and where I watched my brother play. There's another game that I would like to do where I'm inspired to do an LP of after watching him do an LP of it. The target audience for it may be for kids/juniors, but it too holds a place in my dear heart, as I grew up playing several games in those series. Really, it's very nice to know there's someone in this community who knows about them and hence I was quite excited to see someone play it and I can relive the nostalgia of when I played them growing up. I'm not going to reveal the names of those games just yet, but I think I will likely get to them within a week or so, after maybe I get some more solutions of other level packs uploaded, as I've been meaning to do so but haven't gotten around to yet.

Another thing I would like to do before the end of the year is another Q&A session, basically as a way to check in with everyone and see how we all are, and of course for you all to get to know me more! :) It seems the first Q&A I had was a big hit, especially with those who took time to submit question(s) for me to answer. Thank you again for that!

Keep being awesome everyone! Glad to be part of such a wonderful community and to get to know each and every one of you! ;)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2022, 12:06:02 PM »
I have added the links to two more LPs of games I've done, Gobliiins by Coktel and Putt-Putt and Pep's Balloon-o-Rama by Humongous Entertainment. Coktel I believe was later acquired by Sierra Entertainment, the same company that did The Incredible Machine games. No, that's not a typo in the title of the game for the former. It really is spelled with 3 I's." As I later found out, the number of i's indicates how many goblins you control in the game. This is the first game in the series and means you control 3 of them. There's 3 more games in the series, but I've only played this one and its sequel, Gobliins 2. I might LP the sequel at some point, though it's longer and considerably harder than the original. My brother and I never completed the sequel when we were kids, but I eventually did finish it from about several years ago. I've only completed it once though, so other than several of the puzzles at the very beginning I don't really have any recollection of many of the solutions.

There's another game by Coktel, Lost in Time, that I might also LP in the future. It's yet another quite obscure game, but I played it so much as a child, and it was definitely a great one for its time.

For the latter, this game holds a place in my heart, as it was quite a fun and very addictive game when I was growing up. Humongous Entertainment is quite well known for their point and click games. The first game they made was one called Putt-Putt Joins the Parade. They went on to make several more games for the series, as well as a different one featuring a character called Fatty Bear in Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise. Sadly, this is the only game in the Fatty Bear series, although they did make a Fatty Bear Fun Pack, which is pretty much several games that you can either play against him or on your own, with the latter being coloring pages.

Like Gobliiins, seems like a few in this community are familiar with either game. For the HE game, it's basically very similar to Breakout in that instead of use a paddle to bounce a ball to break the bricks at the top of the screen, you control Putt-Putt to bounce Pep, his pet dog, to pop the balloons. There's 120 levels in total, though obviously they start off quite simple, with the later ones being more complicated in the design and obstacles you need to get around. For this game, I was inspired to do an LP after having recently watched Colorful Arty's LP of it. As a matter of fact, I've been watching a lot of his LPs of HE games very recently, as those games he LPed were all ones I grew up with when I was a kid. So really, many thanks go out to him again for this! :thumbsup:

So onto other matters. I recently made a community post on my YT channel which was a poll asking if there's any interest in me doing another Q&A session. Seems like no one has responded to it even after almost 24 hours, so I'll try here instead. I've put up a poll for that. Besides, the current one has been up since the beginning of this year! Time to get rid of it :laugh:

If there's enough interest by popular demand, then expect an announcement video for it shortly after. It will pretty much be the same format as last time, where you can just drop questions for it in the comments section of the video. I'll probably have an open session for questions for about 1-2 weeks before I record the actual video answering them.

Link to my Q&A playlist in case you haven't seen the first Q&A and want to know how I did that one:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJs-ONH9BpwT2A2b1TLrmPKD

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2022, 08:42:04 PM »
Added the links of two more LPs to the OP, Master88's Custom Neolevels and Casualemmings 2.0 by nin10doadict, as these are packs that I have finished. Both pretty good packs that I can recommend, though the former has way too many repeats for my liking and would had worked better if they were spaced out more rather than being so close to one another. The repeats even start in the first rank and are found within the same rank in addition to repeats occurring in later ranks of earlier rank levels. There's still plenty of great levels here though, even if I found most of the repeats pointless because of how many of them are ones where you can use the exact same solution as the original. The latter is nin10doadict's second level pack and is a huge step up from his first pack, Lemmings Squared.

Master88's pack is 120 levels long across 4 ranks of 30 levels each, similar to L1's structure. In addition, the pack is restricted to the classic 8 skills, though there are levels that use NL features. IIRC the only NL feature that is used are teleporters. This is the very first time I have ever played any of Master88s' levels. I definitely look forward to his other two level packs, though I won't get to them for a while. I also hope that the amount of repeats will be considerably reduced, if there are any present. I think I read that the 3rd pack should be the most difficult by a large margin, so I'm definitely looking forward to those challenges if that's the case. I believe it also uses the two most recent skills added to stable NL, so that's another point in looking towards to the pack.

From memory, I think there was really only two levels that I struggled for a long time with in Master88's first level pack. I've only compared my solution to the intended solution of the WTF repeat and turns out that I overcomplicated it and completely missed a part in the level that would had made things easier. Even then, this was a blast to play through despite the many repeats, most which seemed pointless IMO. For the classified difficulty, I would say Easy - Hard, with possibly even Easy-Medium working, though this would be pretty close.   

nin10doadict's Casualemmings 2.0 is a bit longer at 146 levels, with an uneven number of levels in each rank. The largest rank is the first rank, Calm, at 43 levels. This is already larger than any individual rank of Lemmings United, where each rank has 41 levels. Though the latter's pack is aimed more towards casual players of the game, do be warned that there's the odd level(s) here and there even in the first two ranks that are harder than the surrounding levels. Even then, I recommend the latter's pack to any player, though beginners likely will struggle a lot and ultimately might not get too far with it. For the difficulty here, definitely Easy - Very Hard. Meaning, this pack is for sure harder than Master88's first level pack.

I too had an absolute blast LPing Casualemmings 2.0. As described in the level pack topic, exclusively for the Troll rank, I agreed to do the entire rank live. However, he and I went further than that. I agreed to have him as my co-commentator throughout the entire rank. Turns out it was a great idea, and if you watch those videos where he was co-commentating, you can tell we were having a great time together. This is the very first time I have ever done a co-commentator video series, and I definitely remember watching some LP videos where there was a co-commentator with the LPer. In particular, watching Colorful Arty's LP of Seb Lems. I remember when I first watched it I think I always wanted to try that, because it sounded like a lot of fun to do. For my very first time having a co-commentator, it was a blast, and I certainly wouldn't mind doing more of this in the future if anyone likes to do one, especially if it's the level pack author. Just be aware that I likely won't get into live public streaming where anyone can join, as I am a Lemmings player who prefers to solve levels in peace without the possibility of spoilers/hints. In addition, I likely won't pay too much attention to the chat messages, as I would be too busy trying to figure out the levels while LPing, therefore making it pointless for me to stream. However, I would be fine if it's just one other person with me, with the understanding that I'm one who doesn't want spoilers/hints to the solutions :P

All right, pretty much the only LP I have left planned for 2022 is mobius' version of Rotl for New Formats NL. I'm definitely looking forward to this and seeing the new levels that were added, especially as this is a community pack consisting of levels from various level designers in the Lemmings scene. Should be a nice holiday gift not only for mobius but to all the designers whose levels are in this pack.

Also to reiterate something from about a month ago, I wanted to do a second Q&A session before the end of the year, but due to the lack of responses on the poll in my YT community post and here, I will try again at a later point, most likely at the beginning of 2023. I think it's as mobius said, the holidays just seem to be a very busy time for everyone, particularly as it seems activity is quite low on the site currently. I simply had the thought that due to the popularity and success of the first one back in March that there would be the same amount of enthusiasm for a second round of a Q&A. Guess not, though again it might just simply be due to the holidays generally being a busy time for most which might explain the lack of poll responses.

In any case, keep being the awesome and cool people that you all are! :thumbsup:   

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2022, 07:37:25 PM »
Even though I've already mentioned this in the previous post, just making a quick post to let this community know that I'm finishing off 2022 with an LP of Revenge of the Lemmings 4.0 for New Formats NL. I've also put up a poll asking if there's excitement for this, just for fun :laugh: Feel free to put in your vote if you like. Because this is a best of the NL community pack with levels from various level designers, I have a feeling I know how the responses will lean towards :) In particular, I'm very excited to see the new levels that haven't been in the previous iterations of the pack

I also have a special surprise video that I'm thinking of making before 2022 wraps up in the upcoming days as well. Not going to spoil what it is just yet, but I'll post the link for it once it's done and ready ;)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2022, 01:29:15 AM »
Even though I've already mentioned this in the previous post, just making a quick post to let this community know that I'm finishing off 2022 with an LP of Revenge of the Lemmings 4.0 for New Formats NL. I've also put up a poll asking if there's excitement for this, just for fun :laugh: Feel free to put in your vote if you like. Because this is a best of the NL community pack with levels from various level designers, I have a feeling I know how the responses will lean towards :) In particular, I'm very excited to see the new levels that haven't been in the previous iterations of the pack

I also have a special surprise video that I'm thinking of making before 2022 wraps up in the upcoming days as well. Not going to spoil what it is just yet, but I'll post the link for it once it's done and ready ;)

I hope its fun despite any flaws. Dang, you didn't give yourself much time left in the year though; this is a pack of over 200 levels, you're aware? :P (unless it doesn't matter if it takes you into the new year, doesn't matter to me of course).
Thanks for playing it and thanks for the videos and feedback! Any positive or negative is helpful as always :thumbsup:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2022, 06:22:33 AM »
I hope its fun despite any flaws. Dang, you didn't give yourself much time left in the year though; this is a pack of over 200 levels, you're aware? :P (unless it doesn't matter if it takes you into the new year, doesn't matter to me of course).
Thanks for playing it and thanks for the videos and feedback! Any positive or negative is helpful as always :thumbsup:

You think this is bad? Try Lemmings World Tour, which I started around this time last year and aimed to finish it before the end of 2021 :P I did cut it pretty close, but I managed to accomplish that goal, at the cost of massive burnout because of the huge time cruncher I was on. At the same time, I've played all the levels of the pack from about a year ago beforehand, and hence all the levels were familiar to me. In addition, LWT clocks in at a massive 320 levels, whereas RotL v4.0, in contrast, clocks in at 240 levels. Don't forget that I've played and solved all of the Lemmini version of RotL, and I'm guessing most of them from Lemmini are also here for the New Formats NL version, although there's also more levels for the latter and plenty of new ones that I haven't seen before, so there's that too. Even then, 80 less levels is considerably less :P

Should definitely be great fun to watch. Just make sure to give me a follow on YT so that you don't miss any of the videos :thumbsup:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2023, 01:02:02 PM »
All rightie, I originally asked to gauge interest in a second Q&A near the end of last year, but I received no responses that time. As we're now in the third week of 2023, I'm going to try again and see if there's any interest in one now. So, I've made the poll for it again. If there's interest, I'll try and get the announcement video out sometime in the week. As usual, trying to mix up video content for my channel ;)