Poll

Help Me Decide the Next Two Level Packs to LP. Whose Packs Shall I Give Some Loving To First?

Lemmings in Weirdyland (2023 edition) by weirdybeardy
2 (22.2%)
Quest from Kieran by kieranmillar
3 (33.3%)
Mikes Lemmings Version 2 (Rigel rank only) by Turrican
2 (22.2%)
Unusual Lemmings by Duuddu
1 (11.1%)
Festival Millas 2020 by Gigalem
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: kaywhyn's List of Completed LPs of Lemmings Packs and Upcoming Packs to LP  (Read 31523 times)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: kaywhyn's List of Completed LPs of Lemmings Packs and Upcoming Packs to LP
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2021, 07:04:05 PM »
Many thanks to those who voted in the poll and helped me decide what my 2729th LP of a level pack should be in honor of my 1-year LP debut. By a vote of 4-2, this community has decided that that pack should be Mazulems. Thus, that was indeed my next LP, which I started last night and have already finished it in about two hours. So, the link to the LP has been added to the OP. Interestingly enough, it was tied 2-2 between Mazulems and the 2017 Holiday pack for some days, and I think my response to Apjjm above garnered two additional votes for Mazulems :laugh: I'm not sure if that's what it was, but well, I can speculate, can't I?

Historically, I've played the Dos version of the pack way back in the 2000s, so a very long time ago. It was definitely a difficult pack for me back then, but after much struggling I managed to solve all of it. There's definitely some true gems in there, and some levels are quite unique in the Dos version. For example, there is a level with an invisible exit, as well as a level with invisible terrain. The latter is especially one of my favorites of the pack, and one where I was definitely very amazed and blown away by the solution once I realized there's something else going on in the level. There is also one level whose intended solution relies on a glitch that does work on the Dos version but not on NL. Even then, the level's possible without the glitch on either engine.

Honestly, it was definitely a great trip back in time revisiting the very first Lemmings custom level pack I've ever played and these levels after so long but on New Formats NL. A large part that explains why I finished the LP in only two videos is not only because I've already played this pack a long time ago once upon a time, but also I'm somewhat still mostly familiar with the solutions. The only thing is the skillsets on many of the levels are far bigger than I remembered. Then again, I didn't pay too much attention to the skillsets when I first played it on Dos all those years ago.

In any case, I thought a short pack like Mazulems was a great one to mark my 1-year LP debut, as well as just revisiting the very first custom level pack I ever played. I certainly could had done an LP on a much bigger pack, but some of those are still to come. Once again, thanks all for the input, everyone :) As a matter of fact, this community has decided both of my next two LPs, one of which is already done, Mazulems.

The next LP will be on Gigalem's 2017 Holiday cancelled pack. Yes, not exactly the most recent holiday pack, but well I would like to eventually take on all packs :P This will be first playthrough of a pack on Old Formats NL. I do have some video solutions of levels for Old Formats NL, but they're silent playthroughs. This will be the first LP on Old Formats NL with audio commentary. I am looking forward to it! ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 04:52:49 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »
Added the link to the LP of Gigalem's Holiday Gigalems 2017 to the OP. Note that this is for Old Formats NL, i.e, you need the v10 of the NL players for it. This is the first level pack that I have LPed live on camera for Old Formats NL. It is also in an incomplete state, but I still enjoyed it very much despite many levels currently being in a very highly backroutable :P Once again, many thanks to Gigalem for giving me permission to LP his pack with his blessing :thumbsup: I especially enjoyed collaborating with him on it before I started the LP of it :)

As 2021 is coming close to an end, I think I will be able to squeeze in 3-4 more LPs of level packs. I have pretty much decided what they will be. Next up will be namida's Holiday Plus/Omega packs, followed by maybe Turrican's Mike Lemmings and finally I'll close off 2021 with Strato's LWT for New Formats NL. Seems to be somewhat of a time cruncher here, though, although I might just forgo Turrican's pack for the beginning of 2022 if need be.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2021, 05:00:50 AM »
I've added two more LP links of packs that I've completed to the OP, Holiday Lemmings Plus and Lemmings Plus Omega, both packs by namida. Yes, you read correctly that the former only took me 1 entire video, which namida correctly predicted, and hence this is my shortest LP of a Lemmings level pack :laugh: Despite it's short length of only 12 levels, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a nice way to ring in the Christmas holiday early. There was really only 2 levels that I considered quite difficult in the pack, with a third potential one, all found in the Arctic rank.

For the latter, I absolutely enjoyed it from start to finish. It has a similar structure to the OL in that it's 120 levels, with 30 levels each in 4 ranks. The fact that this is the very first entry, aside from the aforementioned HLP, that uses the NL skills available at the time really opened my eyes to the limitless possibilities of puzzle diversity and variety. I'm still a diehard classic lemmings fan, though, i.e, timed bombers, time limits on every level, classic 8 skills only, etc. Even then, I've now used NL for a little over 2 years, and I've certainly come to enjoy the QoL features very much: skill shadows, framestepping, time skips, etc. I almost made it through the entire pack without any level needing more than one video to get solved, but alas Mental 16 ruined that :(

I'm looking forward to the remaining entries of the series: LPIV, LPV, LPOII, and LPVI. I especially look forward to LPV and LPOII, as those are considered very hard packs and hence my solving skills will definitely be put to the test. Will I make it through to the end of my LPs of them, or will I eventually crumble under the pressure of the difficulty and have them defeat me? You'll just have to tune in and find out for when they go live, won't you? :laugh:

Now that we're nearly half way through the final month of 2021, I do have 1 or 2 more LPs planned left to close off the year. Next up is Turrican's Mike Lemmings, followed by Strato's gargantuan LWT for New Formats. I might just skip the former and go straight for LWT, though. However, if I do the former, I would like to start tomorrow. Then I'll close off 2021 with LWT. The plan is to get the LWT LP done before the conclusion of 2021. I think this would be a nice way to round off the year by taking a tour around the world with this musically themed pack :) Since I only have 3 days of work left before I'm off for 2 weeks, I think this is achievable. I guess it'll just depend on how quickly I can plow through a 320-level pack :XD:

As usual, I like to thank this wonderful community for having helped me decide some of my LPs. In particular, Insane Steve's World, Mazulems, and Holiday 2017 pack. Thanks so much for the input, everyone! :thumbsup: Perhaps when 2022 starts I'll likely put up another poll asking for help on deciding another pack to LP to start off the new year. So, please be on the lookout for that, and of course I'll post in this topic again when that happens ;) It's been a real pleasure doing these LPs of level packs for your viewing pleasure and entertainment :thumbsup: I don't have plans to stop LPing anytime soon, and has been mentioned many times throughout the year I will continue to do so as long as people are telling me they've been a joy to watch. So, don't worry about me ceasing LPing anytime soon. I've pretty much gone into territory that people likely wouldn't do here, which is LP packs that are likely considered too difficult to do an LP for, which many packs in the last few years have been. Unfortunately, no chance of an LP of Nepsterlems from me, as I've done way too much of the pack before I decided to take up LPing, though I might still end up doing a post-commentary video series on it. Otherwise, I would just upload a silent playthrough of it.

Hope everyone is having a great final few weeks of 2021! Let's finish off strong with great spirits knowing brighter and better days ahead are coming.     

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2021, 07:57:59 AM »
The LP link to Turrican's Mike's Lemmings has been added to the OP, as that is another pack that I recently finished. Of course, this is for New Formats NL. Turrican also released a Superlemmini pack, but I will get to that pack eventually. Since it's for Superlemmini, I will likely maintain a separate LP list for that engine as well in that board.

Mike's Lemmings is the very first NL level pack by Turrican. Quite honestly, I went through this pack far faster than I thought I would. Before this, the only level of Turrican's I had ever played was his "Dockside Warehouse," which was a single level nominated for LOTY 2020, which happened earlier this year. I found that level to be hard, so I thought it was going to be the same with Mike's Lemmings. Indeed, I didn't really have any real struggles until the Wicked rank. I had some in the Wild rank as well, and the first one was Wild 4. The only other hard level in that rank was Wild 7. The Wicked rank was simply slow going throughout, with Wicked 7 the only level in the pack that needed more than one video to solve. Well, technically Wild 4 needed more than one video as well, but that's because the video that's up on my YT is not the original. To my horror, I guess I forgot to unpause the recording, and so I lost about 15-20 minutes of footage at the end from the point I didn't unpause. So, rather than upload the original, I simply decided to re-record the first episode of the LP with the first 4 levels. It still ended up taking a while to get it solved anyway, and I likely probably would had either stopped the recording of the second video after getting it solved, or I would had gone for another level or two. Needless to say, Turrican's advertised difficulty of Medium-Hard is accurate here. Still some wonderful levels in the pack, though, especially with the choice of tilesets used, in particular, some of Davids' tilesets, and good use of tileset mixing in some. Despite the short length, being only a little bit longer than Holiday Lemmings Plus, I enjoyed this pack very much. I look forward to playing the Superlemmini version of his pack at some point down the line! I believe most of the levels are different there in contrast to the NL version.

And now, this brings me to the final LP I have planned for 2021, which I will be starting either tomorrow or Monday. It's going to be an LP of the largest NL pack that's been out for some time, but the goal is to finish it before the end of 2021. I feel like this is a great way to wrap up the year. Note that I've already played and finished the Old Formats NL version last year, and I feel enough time has passed since I finished it so that I can do an LP of the New Formats NL version. So, get ready to tour the world with me with a fictional Lemmings band for when I start the LP of Lemmings World Tour! See you all around for the tour!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2021, 08:27:54 AM »
The LP link to Strato's LWT for New Formats NL has been added to the OP, as that is another LP of a level pack that I have completed. Thus, I have accomplished my goal of finishing the LP before 2021 concludes :) Honestly, I don't know if it was well worth the stress, being on a very tight time cruncher and all, but I breezed through the pack far faster than I thought I would despite the pack being 320 levels in total. Then again, I've already played the Old Formats version of the pack from last year, meaning I've already played all the levels of the pack at least once. However, due to the lapse of time between the time I completed the Old Formats pack and the time I watched Arty's LP of it, my LP of the New Formats conversion might as well be a blind playthrough anyway :P

This is a pack that I came so close to solving without any level needing more than one video to get solved. Alas, Diva 19 destroyed that, and now that I think about it, I don't know where my mind was when I was recording myself solving the level, as there was one thing that I could had tried that would had made a huge difference and not make me struggle as much with the level as I did in the LP :XD: Oh well, it could had been worse with multiple levels needing more than one video to get solved. I think it might had been late at night at the time, and hence due to being exhausted my mind just wasn't "in the game" :laugh:

Now, the thing I was absolutely blown away by, and that is solving Groupie 40 in 35 minutes despite having solved 4 other levels before that in the same video. This is a huge improvement from the at least an hour it took me to solve Groupie 40 on Old Formats, when that was the first time I played the level from over a year ago. It could had been much faster than that had I not redid a lot of the level, though. Even then, I got to say that that's still quite impressive with getting it solved while LPing, considering that it sounds like it typically takes at least an hour or so to even get the thing solved when playing it for the first time, no matter your skill level. The funny thing is that it didn't feel very stressful at all while I was solving it. I remembered being mostly relaxed the entire time doing so. Honestly, that takes guts to be able to do it on a very overwhelming and stressful level like that one and not crack under the pressure.

Well, it's been a great joy doing all of these LPs for 2021 for your viewing pleasure, and I'm very happy to hear from this community that they continue to be very enjoyable for you all. Really, the pleasure was all mine, as I absolutely don't mind sharing how I crack tough levels on camera. I will be continuing to LP more level packs in 2022, though I likely won't be able to finish around 30 of them in one year like I did for 2021, as work will be taking up much of my time and hence I have very limited time to play each day I have work, along with other commitments outside of work that I may have.

I don't have anything in mind as to the next pack I will LP yet, so for that I will likely put up another poll asking the community for their input on that. So, be on the lookout for that, and I'll post again when it is up. With this, happy New Year everyone, and see you all in 2022 for more LP action from me! :) Thanks for all the positive reception and providing me the motivation to keep on doing them :thumbsup:   

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2021, 09:41:56 PM »
As Nietzsche said: "Those who have a 'why' for Lemmings can bear almost any 'how'."

And some people seem to have that "why" at all times - in their username. 8-)

Congratulations on solving LWT a second time! :thumbsup: And indeed, I think that's a record for "The Grand Puzzle". Sadly, I can't provide additional talismans for speed records, as far as I know. At least not for "time spent on a level thinking about the solution", not "in-game time the solution / replay itself takes".

But the knowledge that it's possible to solve the level that quickly might potentially be interesting for the "Speed Runners" here on the forums... :evil:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2021, 11:32:07 PM »
As Nietzsche said: "Those who have a 'why' for Lemmings can bear almost any 'how'."

And some people seem to have that "why" at all times - in their username. 8-)

Lol, nice one! Actually, the username was my brother's idea when it came time to signing up for an email. I liked it so much back then I've used it for various online logins :P

Congratulations on solving LWT a second time! :thumbsup: And indeed, I think that's a record for "The Grand Puzzle". Sadly, I can't provide additional talismans for speed records, as far as I know. At least not for "time spent on a level thinking about the solution", not "in-game time the solution / replay itself takes".

Yea, the closest you can get is probably something like "complete Groupie 40 in under X minutes." I believe the solution I used came just a shade under how long you said your intended solution takes :P

But the knowledge that it's possible to solve the level that quickly might potentially be interesting for the "Speed Runners" here on the forums... :evil:

That will be quite a task indeed! I have to suspect under 10 minutes is possible, but that would likely require so much multitasking between multiple worker lemmings in many areas of the level. Knowing myself, I likely will not try for it, if it weren't for all the excessive scrolling that's needed, as well as how I've solved the level at least 3 times already (good enough for me on a level that I'm not a huge fan of due to it being way too large), one of which was to simply see if a save all solution is possible, which thankfully it is and isn't that much harder from the lose 1 solutions ;)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Q&A Announcement Video and Post Questions For Me in This Topic
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2022, 09:52:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

Since several are in favor of me doing a Q&A/AMA video from here, https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1593.msg95229#msg95229, I will do one moving forward. So, just posting to let everyone know that my Q&A announcement video is now up on my YT channel.

Link is here: https://youtu.be/pDTd1mPgCsA.

There are two ways you can submit questions to me, either in the comments section of this video, or you can post them here. You can even do both if you wish, but it suffices to just post in one of these places. So, let's start 2022 off by you submitting questions to me so you can get to know me better outside of Lemmings! ;)

I will allow 1-2 weeks for users to submit questions before I record the actual Q&A video. It will likely be a non-live video, especially since I'm not really into video editing and I'm not very good at it. My time is quite limited, and I'm not going to spend an eternity trying to figure out how to heavily video edit.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 10:04:25 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2022, 11:40:52 AM »
Hi all,

I know this comes shortly after I posted saying that my Q&A announcement video went up on my YT and am accepting questions either in this topic or in the comments section of the video (so far, questions have only been submitted through the latter and seems to be the more popular way to do so), but I'm just posting to let everyone know that I put up a poll asking what level pack I should LP to start off 2022. If you're following me on YT and are wondering why I haven't been LPing, I apologize for the lack of LP videos lately. Ever since I came back to work at the very beginning of 2022 following my 2-week winter break, I've been very busy and am often very exhausted after work each day. In particular, the LP of the 320-level pack Lemmings World Tour and finishing before the end of 2021 really took out a lot of my energy. As a result, I haven't really had any energy lately to do any LPs, let alone which pack, as I haven't decided yet. Thus, this is where I need your help in deciding the next level pack for me to LP. Not to mention I've been very busy figuring out how I wanted to do my Q&A video. Along with how I generally struggle with making videos, it took me a very long time to figure out what I wanted to do for it. I also wanted to get that out before we got too deep into January 2022.

After about a week, I've gotten some questions for the actual Q&A video. Thank you to SQron, Armani, and Swerdis for your questions! :thumbsup: Plenty of thought-provoking ones, you guys have given me so much that I need to think about the answers to, so I can see that they're really trying to make me work here :laugh: Also, just to let everyone know, personal questions about me are fine too (such as questions often asked on applications/forms about the one filling it out), so feel free to include those too. Just understand that obviously depending on the question I will either have to be careful or avoid answering because it's info that shouldn't be shared with anyone outside of the family no matter what, for example :P

I will still accept questions for the Q&A video for about another week before I record the actual session answering the ones that were submitted. Any questions that I don't get to in the first Q&A video will be answered in the next one. I'm thinking of limiting these videos to about half an hour in length. Obviously this depends on how many questions I actually get, so I either will or won't get anywhere close to half an hour. Yet another option is that any questions that are submitted after the two weeks is up that I allow them I can simply carry them over to the next Q&A video. Perhaps this is something I can think about.

Now that Q&A announcement video is out, I can think about the next level pack to LP, though I was debating with myself whether I should wait until I do the actual Q&A video before LPing, or to go ahead and do so while I'm still accepting questions for the Q&A. The problem with the former is that depending on when I do the actual Q&A recording, it might be a while before I LP level packs again. If so, then the latter is likely the way to go, especially if people are eager to see me LP packs again. The other problem I've been having is that I haven't felt too motivated lately due to being exhausted from work each day for LPing, so I'm really trying to push myself to do what I love doing for this community and providing some nice entertainment in the form of LP videos where you watch me solve levels while providing audio commentary in the process.

In regards to the poll, I'm thinking of either going back to really early level packs, or doing a holiday pack as my first LP to start off 2022. I'm not sure which to do yet. Other than Geofflems, which is quite large but nowhere near as big as LWT, as you can see the remaining options are all considerably smaller, only being around 30 levels or less. For the former, I've already posted my replays for it in the New Formats level pack topic, but I'm not sure if I should LP it too. It has been more than a year since I've posted the replays, long enough to do an LP. I would also be starting off the year with a fairly easy-mediumish pack. Also, I generally follow up with an LP of a much smaller pack after I finish an LP of a very big pack, which LWT was really huge. This would mean that the other options in the poll are the ones to go for, even though Geofflems fits the bill here too as being way smaller than LWT. Note that some of these are holiday packs as well (FestiveLems and FM2019), and I'm thinking despite it being the middle of January I can probably fit in some of these to LP while it's still somewhat not too much long after the holidays have passed.

Well, this post was longer than I thought it would be :laugh:

edit: For the last option of "other," I've now replaced it with Zemmings Complete, as I totally forgot about this and was one of the ones I was contemplating on LPing next. I knew I was forgetting something :forehead: Thus, took out a complete section of the post and also reset the vote count. So sorry to the 3 who already voted :-[ Feel free to vote the new option if you wanted to or to put in your vote again if it didn't influence your vote at all.   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 04:29:23 PM by kaywhyn »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Q&A and LP Update
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2022, 11:56:56 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update on this. It's now been two weeks, and I did get a fair substantial amount of questions during that time, so I will likely record the actual Q&A video soon, maybe starting this weekend when I have more time available. Thank you so much to Armani, Swerdis, Apjjm, and SQRon for all your excellent questions! :thumbsup: I haven't given too much thought on how to answer them yet, but I shall in preparation for the actual recording. Of course, those who haven't submitted any questions to me still can, I just decided to make the cutoff point for questions for the actual video after two weeks. Any questions submitted after this point would simply go to the next Q&A after this one, with any questions that I don't get to in this video carrying over to the next one as well. I think I will limit the actual session to a max of a half hour in length. Whereas for the actual recording, still deciding if I should do a live video or not answering them. I would like to display the questions on the screen, but if I don't go this route, then I guess I could always just simply read them off on my end without them being shown. Or, I could simply make the question the title of the chapter, so you can always look for the timestamps in the video description, just like I've done for all of my LPs of level packs. Thoughts?

As for my next pack to LP, none are in a clear, huge lead, but I have decided what I will do next. I know there is a vote missing, but I remember which pack it was for before I reset the vote counts. It still doesn't affect the results too much. Nevertheless, thank you to those who voted in the poll! :thumbsup: Not many did, but well, no pressure or obligation to. I'm sure it's simply just a really busy time period for most of us, myself included.

In any case, it'll be some time before I return to LPing. I'm currently focusing on things not Lemmings related right now, and this was a long-time-coming and much needed break from the game that I really need. For the past several days, I've been trying to get back into setting up VMs and revisiting old, excellent computer games that I used to play back in the days. Basically, there's no need for the VMs other than for nostalgia in the form of computer games I used to play growing up. Thank goodness for how-to videos on setting them up! I was going to simply import them from my other laptop that I have, but I unfortunate elected to delete them before I looked up a guide on how to do so :forehead: Well, fortunately they didn't take as long to create and set up again as I thought they would, so it's all good. I'm just thankful that I can revisit my favorite games again after a long time. I have both VirtualBox and VMware set up on my laptop, although VMware so far seems to work better for playing them, especially since I couldn't really get them to work in VirtualBox due to it complaining about them not being a "Win32 app" or the sound driver card/midi not being found.

Don't worry, though. I've stated before that I'm not retiring from LPing level packs. Rest assured that you'll still be getting LP videos of Lemmings level packs from me. I'm simply taking an extended break from the game of Lemmings and focusing on other things for the time being, as well as taking it slower on the LPs, as I was just reminded from someone on here that I have LPed so many packs this past year, an unbelievable number that pretty much no one will likely not even reach within a year. So, I'm going to dial back and slow down so as to avoid any burnout and increase the likelihood of exhaustion. When I do return to LPing again, it shall be a glorious return :P In any case, thank you so much to all the level designers for your level packs! :thumbsup: I will get to LPing them at some point, as I would like to eventually take on all level packs. Yes, I still love the game of Lemmings very much, but life isn't all about this game :P I've also realized that I've LPed packs that no one else would probably even think of doing an actual LP on because of how it's too difficult to warrant doing one on. Of course, this doesn't prevent some from playing the packs, since some don't mind the difficulty, just from doing an LP on them.

Anyway, just dropping an update on me and the status of the Q&A and the future of my LPs of level packs. I'm still around here, and if anyone needs to get a hold of me, you know how. I'm also around on the Discord a lot, once I'm home from work, so you have a really good chance of catching me there for a good chat and whatnot :laugh:   

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have added another LP link to the OP: Lemmings Quartet by Apjjm. Believe it or not, this is my very first LP for 2022. It was this community who decided that Lemmings Quartet should be the next pack for me to LP, as even with just 4 votes in the poll, this pack edged out all the other options. There should be 5 votes, as I ended up resetting the vote counts by making a small change to it shortly after I published it, but even with the extra vote it still wouldn't change the fact that Lemmings Quartet is in the lead. I think it was a vote for Festivelems, but I honestly can't remember ATM. So, once again thank you to the community for helping to decide my next pack to LP! :thumbsup:

I got to say I was very impressed by the puzzles, but especially by the lovely designs! :thumbsup: I have returned to doing LPs of Lemmings level packs after taking a little over 2 months break from the game, and I was initially fearful of struggling greatly when I did over the weekend, but now I know there's no need for me to worry about losing my solving abilities. I apparently haven't lost my touch with solving levels for the game. They might have waned and dwindled considerably from several years ago, but this is likely a personal perception of what seems to be happening, where I feel as if I'm not as good as I used to be at the game. What I'm saying here is that I believe I was beyond sharp several years ago and have slowed considerably since, usually taking me longer to "see" things in solutions to help me solve them. However, I am apparently still considered one of the top solvers by several members of this community. Good to know! ;)

Anyway, I immensely enjoyed Apjjm's pack from start to finish. As a result, his pack earns a spot on my list of favorite level packs of all time! :thumbsup: It doesn't necessarily start off very easy, but I would definitely say around the medium difficulty. Still, several of the early levels aren't anywhere near as hard as some of the much later levels. The last several in the Quartet rank are quite difficult, but I felt a great sense of satisfaction and accomplishment anytime I solved Apjjm's levels! :thumbsup: This is the very first time I have ever played levels by Apjjm, so I honestly had no idea how very difficult his levels can get. Now that I've seen and played 25 of his levels, I now know what to expect difficulty-wise going forward with future content from him.

Apjjm might had taken a break from the Lemmings scene for a few years, but he definitely has what it takes to produce a top notch pack! All that time away from the game hasn't slowed him down in any way on the level making scene. Incredible! :) Indeed, never once was I bored by any of his levels of the pack. He managed to make all the levels very interesting in some way, even the open-ended levels with multiple approaches. He even managed to make a level, the penultimate of the Quartet rank, that I consider the best I have ever played and solved in a very long time. Needless to say, there are absolutely some very LOTY nomination worthy levels from the pack that I'll be putting forth as soon as I get a couple more LPs done. I am very happy to be great friends with him on the Lemmings Forums, Discord, and Youtube. Thanks again for commenting on my solutions, and I look forward to the response to the feedback I have left on the level pack topic :)

As a rarity, this is a very modern pack that uses only the classic 8 skills. However, don't go into the pack thinking this will be a complete cakewalk compared to packs that also use the NL skills. There are still quite some tough nuts in here! Thus, his classification of Medium-Hard for the pack's difficulty is very accurate here IMO. Even then, don't be intimidated by that, as this pack still isn't anywhere near as hard as some packs that have a similar or higher difficulty, such as United and Nepsterlems, the former which I have completed but surprisingly not the latter, as I managed to solve most of it but got stuck pretty bad on the final rank. I hope to rectify this sooner rather than later! 

This all goes to say that I highly recommend anyone to play this wonderfully made pack by Apjjm! :thumbsup: How can I not, since I did say this pack is absolutely on my list of "favorite level packs of all time!" Even if you can't solve all the levels, at least these are great to look at because of how very nice the visuals are! Thank you very much for this pack, Apjjm! :)

Finally, the poll kind of indirectly determined the next few LPs, though it's quite inconclusive due to tied numbers. However, let it be known that my next LP will be zanzindorf's Zemmings Complete, which I absolutely look forward to, as his styles are amazing! In particular, the new Cloud style looks mind-blowing! :lem-mindblown: Do note that I have played both Volumes 1 and 2 on Superlemmini a very long time ago, but I'll be playing the NL versions of them. I don't really remember them too much, so it'll almost be like I'm playing the levels for the very first time. Volume 3 and the ranks after it will all be new for me. I'll likely start it at some point tomorrow, so be on the lookout for that. See you all for the next LP! :thumbsup:

edit: In regards to the actual Q&A video, don't worry, I haven't forgotten about it. I been putting it far longer than I needed to, and there's absolutely no excuse for it. At the same time, motivation has fluctuated from time to time, and it has been difficult to find time to record the video, as my time is quite limited due to work and whatnot. I will hopefully get to it this weekend, though it also happens to be my birthday later this week, so I'll likely be celebrating with my family instead :laugh: If not this weekend, most definitely in two weeks, as I will be off for a week and hence have way more time to record it.     
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 07:43:19 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
Thanks for taking the time to LP my pack and writing the detailed thoughts & feedback :thumbsup:

It was great watching you go through the puzzles and I'm super happy to hear that you enjoyed the pack (and Quartet 17 in particular) enough to put it on your list of favourites! It is always very nice as a creator so see others enjoy their time with the pack, and to see what parts really worked & stood out. I do hope to put what I learned making the pack & feedback I have got into another smallish pack at some point (I am a very slow level creator, so not soon!).

I realised a bit of a coincidence when watching your videos on Zemmings Complete - It was actually the first pack I played after focusing to get Quartet over the line and released, and now you have gone from Quartet -> Zemmings too! I really liked playing Zemmings and thought there were some brilliant levels in that pack (and the tilesets are great), so looking forward to watching the rest of your videos on it.
My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Just like that, my LP of zanzindorf's Zemmings Complete has been added to the OP to the finished list, as that is another pack that I have completely solved. Like Apjjm's Lemmings Quartet, I also enjoyed zanzindorf's pack. I would say the difficulty is slightly higher, but not by a whole lot. This pack has levels that are great to look at, so once again even if one can't solve every level, at least there's the pretty visuals! A correction I need to make, and that is I have only played Volume 1 previously, not both Volumes 1 and 2. The former is originally a Superlemmini pack, which I have played many years ago, but the latter is a NL pack, and that is one I haven't played before. Thus, both Volumes 2 and 3 are completely new and foreign to me. However, it is true that I have played more than just the Volume 1 levels before. I have also played the first 6 levels of the Amiga rank before, where they're found in zanzindorf's Special Pack, which is also originally for Superlemmini. The final 3 levels of the rank, as well as the last 3 levels of the pack, are new to me, as they aren't found in the Superlemmini Special Pack. They're levels in the Agony tileset which are essentially replacements for the Jill Jungle levels that couldn't be converted to NL.

Even though the 3 Volumes can be considered separate packs on their own, the pack as a whole does follow a natural progression in difficulty. In other words, Volume 1 is the easiest, Volume 2 is harder than Volume 1, and Volume 3 is even harder than either one. Volume 3 consists of levels in zanzindorf's Cloud style. These are quite nice! Since Volume 1 is originally a pack on Superlemmini, these levels use only the classic 8 skills. Volumes 2 and 3 use NL skills in addition the classic skills. Some even use the two newest skills that got added to stable NL last year, the slider and the laserer.

Even though there are only 3 levels in the Bonus rank, these were all difficult in some way, though the final two levels were very hard. These levels are in styles of zanzindorf's that haven't been seen in any other level pack. Bonus 2 was the most visually stunning, and I was amazed at the entrance being the mouth of a dragon-like creature.

All in all, I also highly recommend Zemmings Complete for others to play! If zanzindorf has plans to make more Lemmings content, then I will absolutely look forward to them and play them! Nice job with this pack, zanzindorf! :thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the time to LP my pack and writing the detailed thoughts & feedback :thumbsup:

It was great watching you go through the puzzles and I'm super happy to hear that you enjoyed the pack (and Quartet 17 in particular) enough to put it on your list of favourites! It is always very nice as a creator so see others enjoy their time with the pack, and to see what parts really worked & stood out. I do hope to put what I learned making the pack & feedback I have got into another smallish pack at some point (I am a very slow level creator, so not soon!).

I realised a bit of a coincidence when watching your videos on Zemmings Complete - It was actually the first pack I played after focusing to get Quartet over the line and released, and now you have gone from Quartet -> Zemmings too! I really liked playing Zemmings and thought there were some brilliant levels in that pack (and the tilesets are great), so looking forward to watching the rest of your videos on it.

The pleasure was all mine, Apjjm! :) Thanks again for Lemmings Quartet. That's awesome that you followed up with Zemmings Complete after finishing making your own pack. Then I think LWT was after that for you? Whatever you decide to play next, I will look forward to seeing your solutions and reading your feedback if it's one I've played before you, of course ;)

All rightie, tan x's Integral Lemmings is next. I know, I know, you're wondering, didn't you already LP it? Yes, you are correct, but in this case I'll just be LPing the Alpha rank of the pack, as this new rank was added years after the pack was released. I already did all of the Epsilon and Delta ranks when I LPed the pack last year. In other words, I'll just be adding additional LP videos to the playlist of the pack, however much is needed to finish all 10 levels of the rank. 

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The link to my LP of Festival Millas 2019 has been added to the OP, as I have solved the entire pack. Another relatively quick one just like Zemmings Complete and Lemmings Quartet, though its length falls right in between the two, longer than the latter but a bit shorter than the latter. I would probably say about the same difficulty as the other two packs, though probably the easiest, but only because a lot of the levels still seem to be highly backroutable :P However, if Gigalem's other packs are any indication, I came in expecting an even greater challenge than FM2018. However, FM2019 felt easier than FM2018, as honestly the longest I struggled with any level was near the end of the first rank (only because I didn't use CPM), and the second rank I felt was the hardest out of the other 3 ranks. Also, I did enjoy working through the final level of the pack, even if it's not really the hardest. Needless to say, I still enjoyed the pack very much, even if it was easier than expected. I generally find the packs of Gigalem's that are available on this site fun to play, and FM2019 was certainly no exception.

Yes, FM2019 is another holiday pack by Gigalem, and I may have played the pack in April, but it's never too early or late to celebrate the holidays :laugh: This can also be seen as a warm-up for when I eventually LP another huge pack. I definitely have dialed back considerably with the LPs for this year, as so far 4 months into 2022 I've only done 3. I think I might had done double this amount around this time last year. In any case, there's no way I'll be doing 25 or so LPs of level packs in a single year like last year, that honestly is too much. 

I think I know what I'll be doing for the next 3 LPs: Festivelems, Cranium Preview, and LPIV. So, no poll needed for some time, but there will probably be another at some point in the future. But first, I think I will make the actual Q&A session the top priority for this weekend, as I had promised this a while back but have not gotten around to doing it yet. I better fix this! Thank you for your patience, just be assured that the follow-up to the announcement will happen!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've added the LP link of FestiveLems to the OP, since it's another pack that I have solved. Another relatively short pack, a bit shorter than the LP before it, at 25 levels (24 main levels + 1 bonus level) vs 32 levels for Festival Millas 2019. Overall, this pack felt easier than FM2019 and hence I myself rate the difficulty of FestiveLems at Easy-Medium, although I do acknowledge that less experienced players will struggle more. There were still some hard nuts in this pack, but I got through the pack much faster than I thought I would. I don't mind the pack being on the easier side of things, as I enjoy packs of all difficulties. Hard ones are simply the type I enjoy playing and solving more, but I will play packs of any difficulty.

As mentioned in the level pack release topic, FestiveLems consists of the levels found in the now obsolete Xmas 2019 pack, with the exception of one level. The rest are entirely new, and a bonus level that was sent to those who participated in the Advent challenge of one level solve per day leading up to Christmas 2021 and sent all 24 main level replays. The bonus level was later included in the main pack in a future patch, about a month after the holiday. So, no need to worry that you'll miss out on playing the level if you didn't participate in the Advent challenge.

I must applaud WillLem's great work with his take on the Christmas tunes with the wonderful music! :thumbsup: If you watch my LP, you can tell that I really enjoyed listening to them and was even singing along to them at times ;) I wished I had the ability to mix and compose music, but that's not where my talents lie when it comes to music. Instead, singing is a talent I possess, as I was in choir for several years while growing up going to school.

Overall, I can definitely recommend FestiveLems as a pack for people to play through, especially if you're into the open-ended levels type with carving your own solution instead of a specific intended solution. There are levels with very restricted skillsets in the pack, but the pack mostly consists of very open-ended levels. There are some that aren't as open-ended as others, but for the most part you can experiment with coming up with any solution to the levels and it should still be acceptable in terms of not being deemed a backroute. And of course, another reason to play through the pack is the wonderful music WillLem made for this pack! :)

All rightie, next up will be Crane's Cranium Preview pack. Also, the actual Q&A video will be this weekend, as I was going to do it this past weekend, since I took the time to write up a document detailing my responses to them and was pretty much going to go off of that in my recording. I'm pretty much ready to record it, but I unfortunately ran out of time over the weekend. In particular, I want to do it early in the morning when there's plenty of natural light from outside instead of relying on the bedroom lights for the recording. Again, thank you all for your patience as I try to work around my busy schedule. I'll make sure to actually do it this weekend. I've put this thing off for a little over 3 months now, which is way too long, but well, the story of my super busy adult life.

Happy to hear from several in this community that my LPs of level packs have continued to be great fun to watch! :thumbsup: