Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] Level selection menu  (Read 1410 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[DISC][PLAYER] Level selection menu
« on: October 16, 2020, 07:36:38 AM »
I have locked this topic and the others to keep all further discussion in one place - the V12.10.0-RC release topic.

So, the other remaining part that still needs attention is the level select menu.

I've done some significant work on this already. You can now see a level's stats / skillset - including number of zombies and neutrals specifically - in the level select menu. This does mean the preview image has been shrunk to accomodate, of course.

Even more so, you can see detailed talisman info - rather than try to explain it, here's a video: https://youtu.be/L--EyXNGBYY

I haven't yet got around to adding whole-rank / whole-pack talisman lists - that's next.

Any feedback on the changes so far?

Remaining todos:
- None currently.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:00:10 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] Level selection menu
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 07:40:17 AM »
For now I can just say that it looks awesome! :thumbsup:

But I bet people can still think of some improvents when they think about it. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:21:39 AM »
Talisman list is now implemented. This can be used either for entire packs or for single ranks (due to the fact that NL barely distinguishes between the two in the first place, so the same code works for either).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 04:48:00 PM »
Talisman has 3 lines of text. The indentation of the 2nd line looks strange, I would left-align all three lines.

I wouldn't bold the talisman title. Reason: It's not more important than the remainder. (This is different from level titles in a level list.) If you want to make it sound more important than the other two lines, you can print the level title in grey instead of black. Hard-coding colors sucks though, people use dark themes etc. that rely on replacing default colors. Can you print the default color with 50 % opacity? >_>

Three lines eat lots of vertical space and requires lots of scrolling. Consider removing the line break between talisman title and level title?

When the talisman is a special save requirement, print the number of lemmings available, too; i.e., print: Save 30/30.

Wording: Talismans don't get unlocked, they're all available from the beginning. Rather, they are won/beaten/accomplished/achieved.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 04:58:19 PM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »
When the talisman is a special save requirement, print the number of lemmings available, too; i.e., print: Save 30/30.

Wording of this in general is up for discussion. Currently, it's using exactly the same code that previously generated the talisman text on preview / talisman screens, to generate the requirements line. I do agree with your point here and will likely make this change even if the text is otherwise kept as-is.

Wording: Talismans don't get unlocked, they're all available from the beginning. Rather, they are won/beaten/accomplished/achieved.

"Unlocked" has been the terminology used since they were introduced. I believe this choice was due to that (during development) they were originally "achievements", and even after adding the Lemmings flavoring I kept the same verbs as is used with "achievements".
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 08:38:45 PM »
We now have display - and of course, correspondingly, tracking - of several records:

- Most lemmings saved
- Fastest time to solve*
- Fewest total skills
- Fewest of each individual skill

The first two are already tracked by existing versions, so your existing records will already be there to display in the new version. The skills-related records are not tracked by existing versions; only solves on V12.10.X (or later) will count towards these - though of course, you can simply use your existing replays to get your records in.

* Time record is based on when the last required lemming exits; not "last lemming saved at all whether required or not" and/or "when you actually terminated gameplay".

Needed: Some actual icons. Not sure what should be used for the Records icon, maybe a trophy of some kind, or an abstract graphic of a high score table? For the time, a stopwatch or clock would work best. Size is 32x32 if anyone would like to have a go at making any.

No suggestions of further records to keep will be taken on board for this update. What you see now is all that will be tracked / displayed in V12.10.X - but if other good ideas come up, I may be willing to consider them in later updates.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:45:59 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 03:32:17 AM »
Cleanse Levels, Mass Replay Check and Mass Image Dump have been moved to a "Creators Tools" menu in the level select menu. These are no longer accessible via the hidden keyboard shortcuts - Creators Tools is now the sole way to access them.

Creators Tools will not be shown by default, but getting it to show up is as simple as checking a "Show Creators Tools" checkbox in the options menu.

In V12.10.X, Creators Tools will simply be a more user-friendly way to access some existing features, but I might add some extra stuff to it in the future. ;)
My Lemmings projects