Author Topic: [PLAYER][SUGGESTION] Differentiate locked/unlocked exits in Clear Physics Mode  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Fairly self-explanatory, really.

Right now, when you look at an exit in clear physics mode, it tells you it's an exit.
If the exit is locked, it also tells you it's an exit.

It does not tell you it is a locked exit; this must be inferred either by interpreting the graphic outside clear physics mode or by finding buttons in the level.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
+1 for this.

Online Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
+1 from me as well ;) . Good job for catching this, I never noticed before!
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Yes, this should happen. Anything about "when" or "how", I'll get back to later (though I don't see any reason why it can't be a 12.10 feature).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Would a padlock icon or similar next to the word "exit" be sufficient?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Implemented (using the above suggestion that no one objected to) in commit 90f79aa. Leaving the topic open for now in case of late objections - it isn't too late (or overly difficult) to change it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
A padlock should work fine.

My suggestion would be to draw it in the center of the graphic, but I'm mostly just throwing that out there - it might not be any better than the placement now. That said, I think whatever is done should always be displayed, i.e. the player should not have to hover over the exit to distinguish a locked from an unlocked exit, as locked exits/unlocked exits frequently have identical silhouettes, unlike traps, water, fire, etc. Other than that, as long as it communicates it clearly, it should be fine.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Hm, this is a good point.

Perhaps I should revert this to it always just displaying "EXIT", and instead display a lock icon over any exit that is locked (as in over the exit itself, not above it like the current display - this would be seperate, and additional to the "EXIT" text). This could be extended to an open padlock once the exit has been opened, and an "X" over it or similar if the allowed lemming count has been used up (this last part could possibly extend to entrances too). Thoughts?
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
My suggestion would be to draw it in the center of the graphic... the player should not have to hover over the exit to distinguish a locked from an unlocked exit

+1 for this, and for padlock. Great ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
From commit d33bf19, both types of exits display the same "EXIT" text overhead, but locked exits that are currently locked will display an additional padlock icon over the exit silhouette graphic.
My Lemmings projects