Author Topic: [SUGGESTION][PLAYER] Manually pressing Save Replay should give save dialog  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
I'm guessing this probably didn't get a lot of attention during the testing of the release candidates, because many (most?) of us have automatic saving on, but I recently wanted to save a best-attempt replay of a level I wasn't able to solve, and that has to be done by saving manually. So, on the post-view screen, I clicked the save replay button.

Expected: Preferably a file dialog, but at least some sort of feedback indicating that the replay was, in fact, saved
Actual: Replay saved silently, with absolutely no feedback. At first I thought my click didn't register until I tried it again and it still appeared to do nothing

I think a file save dialog is the best option here, because if I'm choosing to save a replay manually, there's probably something special about it that would make it desirable to explicitly choose a filename rather than relying on the automatically generated filename.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUGGESTION][PLAYER] Manually pressing Save Replay should give save dialog
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 01:38:38 AM »
It's not the most noticable, but the clickable texts do turn a different color when clicked vs when hovered, so there is some feedback. However, I do agree. In-game is debatable - I probably wouldn't want to be interrupted with a filename popup if I try to manually save a replay - but on the postview screen, the otherwise-automatic name could simply become the default, and I don't believe it would be too intrusive here.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 11:17:36 PM »
I think a file save dialog is the best option here, because if I'm choosing to save a replay manually, there's probably something special about it that would make it desirable to explicitly choose a filename rather than relying on the automatically generated filename.

+1 for this

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
+1 from my side as well. Opening the save dialog would also make it easier to tell if you have already manually saved a replay or not. Otherwise, you might press U several times during the level, just to be on the safe side, and potentialy create a bunch of redundant replays that are hard to distinguish in hindsight.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 05:49:54 AM »
In commit f1ecaca, I have implemented a crude solution which simply turns the user's "auto name replays" setting off when clicking this button. This solution will be in place for all V12.10.X versions (from 12.10.1 onwards), and possibly V12.11.X.

I'll come back to this matter properly as part of V12.11.X or V12.12.X development.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 10:25:01 PM »
Using this button opens a "Save As" dialog, as originally suggested. Just wondered why you've described this as a "crude solution", it seems to work just fine!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 05:27:24 PM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 11:29:07 PM »
The way it is implemented behind-the-scenes is very kludgy, even though it seems fine to the end user.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 08:49:31 AM »
Nice, and user-configurable, implementation of this is in place for V12.11, implemented in commit 00cca5c. Will post more detail in another topic here that it pertains to a bit better.
My Lemmings projects