Author Topic: Level Design Contest #21 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 21356 times)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #21 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2020, 12:12:00 AM »
Wow Icho's solution barely made it on time. So far only my intended solution had the most time left.

Icho's about 1/2 of a second
kaywhyns' about 9 seconds
my intended one was 19 seconds

Nobody seems to take the intended path.

Also I didn't realize my level was this tricky. I didn't mean it to be this tricky. To see everybody struggle this much with it. But I do appreciate Icho's remarks. I will fix this level for my Angry lemmings pack and just make the hatch produce swimmers and do some other patch work(just not for the contest level)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2020, 03:48:01 AM »
Intended Solution to my Rule 1 Version 4 level (This room is boiling)

ok I figured why not upload my intended solution now. If you haven't solved it yet and wish to on your own then simply don't watch. But If you have solved it already, and want to compare yours to my intended one then
here it is. Also my solution seems to be quicker than Kaywhyn's and definitely quicker than Icho's. Also my path is different than Kaywhyn's or Icho's thus saving time.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2020, 05:41:27 AM »
@Ichotolot

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:53:34 AM by Armani »
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2020, 06:47:37 AM »
I will fix this level for my Angry lemmings pack and just make the hatch produce swimmers and do some other patch work(just not for the contest level)

Glad to hear that. :)

You do want to avoid those mass skill assignments to everybody or at least keep them to a limit. Maybe reducing the lem count by a couple could also help. ??? 

I will look through those fixed levels soon, but I will wait and see if a few more updates come in first. :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2020, 02:03:02 PM »
I resolved the levels except Armani's R1 where I want to make sure that the fix has not made the level impossible. It's just because I see no mention of the stacker being removed from the skillset in his update log. Just to make sure. ;)
I included my best attempt though.

@ericderkovits:    I like this new solution a lot more! :thumbsup:   The level just plays better in general and I am still under the old timer. ;)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »
Yes, your under the old timer because now you took the intended path(went to the far right-which saves time). Before both you and kaywhyn and even armani's before his replay broke all were going left).

Also by adding the disarmers pickup skills location, I tihink it gives away the intended path, thus making the level much easier.

Also your new solution is intended. And would have been even in version 4.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:23:29 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2020, 04:47:28 PM »
I resolved the levels except Armani's R1 where I want to make sure that the fix has not made the level impossible. It's just because I see no mention of the stacker being removed from the skillset in his update log. Just to make sure. ;)
Ah, yes. You are right. Sorry, that was my mistake.:crylaugh: My intention was culling a stacker and putting a stacker pick-up to compensate that.
And your solution for Marina Bay Sands is intended :thumbsup:
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2020, 05:25:31 PM »
This seems intended now. :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2020, 08:50:57 PM »
Replay for Steeplchase still works and I resolved the tank level. :)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2020, 12:14:49 AM »
The start of Hell's Challenger is different to what I do, but certainly acceptable - well done.  I'm not sure if it's possible to block the part where you use the shimmier to stop the miner though.  I may have to leave it.  At least now you need to do release rate tricks to save a jumper!

To get the silver talisman requires some creative thinking though.

Steeplechase might require leaving as is.

ADDENDUM: There is one solution to fixing the last part of Hell's Challenger, but I fear that will damage the shape of the tank too much (it involves a 5th miner and a small break in the rear skirts, where any lemmings going leftwards will meet a fiery death in the middle of the tank, but a single lemming going right (the original miner) can become a miner and head to the exit.  I'm in two minds about it... while it will fix the backroute and make hte use of the last shimmier a bit more innovative, I'm more concerned about the level's aesthetics.  Plus you might still be able to use the shimmier to escape from the gap, or the jumper you saved.  I might provide a side version later.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:31:47 PM by Crane »

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2020, 05:51:43 PM »
After some thought I decided that so far everyone's solution to my Rule 3 is acceptable :) Special shoutout to Armani, however, for being able to save 4 different skills on it!

I also resolved Dullstar's level which might still be a backroute sadly :( but my solution to Shmolem and ericderkovits levels should be intended now :)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2020, 07:15:18 PM »
good job Nessy. Yes this is 100% intended. Also you took the 100% correct intended path.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2020, 10:27:48 PM »
Quote from: ericderkovits
good job Nessy. Yes this is 100% intended. Also you took the 100% correct intended path.

Awesome :) I must confess, however, that I accidently spoiled part of the solution (when I checked to see if I had the right version because the pickup skill count was wrong but it was a problem on my end). Fortunately I did figure out the major parts of the solution that matter such as figuring out the "intended" path.

Not much I can do about that unfortunately :( but it was a pretty cool level nevertheless :thumbsup:

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2020, 09:30:50 AM »
Finally back to play the contest levels again after taking a few days break from them. I finally solved Crane's R1 level and resolved his R3 level. I also resolved Shmolem's and Dullstar's R1 levels.

Crane's R1 V3 Steeplechase (click to show/hide)

Dullstar's R1 V4 Alice (click to show/hide)

Shmolem's R1 V3 Leap of Faith (click to show/hide)

@Niesch My replay for your R2 still works, since the only thing you did was add the exit limit back, and your change to block off Armani's backroute doesn't break my replay. Also, your R1 is the only contest level left that remains unsolved for me, but I haven't given up on it yet. I just haven't attempted it enough ever since I came back to play the contest levels again earlier tonight. I'm sure I'll eventually get it given enough time ;) Hopefully the next time I post here I'll have a solving replay of your R1.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »
Well, the fix seems not to work for Dullstar's level. :P  The backroute before was nicer and trickier.