Author Topic: Shmolems 2  (Read 567 times)

Offline Shmolem

• View Profile
Shmolems 2
« on: September 29, 2020, 02:19:31 AM »
Ok, I just posted my new pack Shmolems a few hours ago. But I had a very good idea for what I could do next! So I took all of the tilesets from the Original Lemmings, Oh no More Lemmings, and Lemmings 2 the tribes and put them into a random wheel and spun it five times. So each rank is going to be separate tileset. I know people have done this in the past but I really wanted to try it myself. I already have my five tilesets. Here they are:

Marble (Original Lemmings)
Beach (Lemmings 2 the Tribes)
Space (Lemmings 2 the Tribes)
Shadow (Lemmings 2 the Tribes)
Dirt (Original Lemmings)

Now, I’m not sure how many levels each rank is going to get, I’ll figure that out as I go along I guess. But this is what my next pack is going to have!

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
Re: Shmolems 2
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 06:42:17 AM »
Yay, a sequel pack from Shmolem to his Shmolems pack! :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to reading and following your progress, as well as playing the pack when you release it ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Shmolem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 07:12:31 AM »
I’ve come to a decision that every rank is going to have 5 levels. This means there will be 25 levels in total. I’ve already made two and I’m very proud of them. I’m so glad you liked Shmolems! I was a bit nervous for the feedback and thinking stuff like ugh this part of the pack is bad no one’s gonna like it but I think I’m just being hard on myself. In this pack I’m aiming to make my levels look a bit more pleasing to the eye like adding more detail making things look nice etc. I’m still a novice when it comes to level creation but I want to get better at it and really in the end I hope this pack will show improvement from the previous Shmolems.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 07:47:44 AM »
I’ve come to a decision that every rank is going to have 5 levels. This means there will be 25 levels in total. I’ve already made two and I’m very proud of them.

Nice! :thumbsup:

I’m so glad you liked Shmolems! I was a bit nervous for the feedback and thinking stuff like ugh this part of the pack is bad no one’s gonna like it but I think I’m just being hard on myself.

And I thought I was always hard on myself, mostly due to how I tend to doubt my own abilities a lot. As I mentioned in my most recent response in your Shmolems release topic, you did just fine for your first pack. Some of the long time members here started off with first packs just like yours, although some were worse in terms of the repetitive skill assigning and excessive amount of trolling they put in their levels when they first started out. From the experience and feedback they received, their future packs ended up so much better. So, I have absolutely no doubt that you will get better with each future pack you release too. Same with level solving. I've been following your progress in the packs you're playing, and I must say you're doing quite well on that front too :) Before you know it, you'll be the next person to solve and complete United ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Shmolem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 12:01:05 AM »
Just thought I'd come by and share one of my levels, it's the first one I created for this pack and I made it look symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing.  It's called Two Birds with One Stone edit: fixed a back route so I had to get rid of the trapdoor having climbers come out of it and add some pickup skills (The pickup skills are symmetrical too!)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:00:40 AM by Shmolem »

Offline Shmolem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 11:52:07 PM »
I’ve been making art for he pack quite a bit lately and I like it more than I like any of the Shmolems art I even made a custom look for the skill slots! I keep all the art as a surprise though. Marble is about halfway-three quarters finished then I’ll be moving on to beach. I actually just made a level layout, I just can’t think of a solution... that’s been a weird habit of mine lately. Being able to put a level design together but having no clue what the solution is and I have to think of one.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 12:59:43 AM »
Yes I do that with my Angry lemmings too, I basically setup terrain for the level and then come up with a solution. somethings though I'm not completely happy with the solution so I'llperhaps add more terrain or even
alter it some. Also it depends how the lemmings act with the terrain, especially climbers as sometime you miiss terrain spots because you didn't think of how a cliimber would act.

Also sometimes even when the solution is there, sometimes I'll even add more to make it even more challenging as in my 2nd level of Mayhem. I really like how I added more puzzle to the level than originally setup for
the solution.

Offline Shmolem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 05:13:47 AM »
Woohoo! Only one level to go for the Marble rank. As far as I can tell the levels are pretty much just as easy as the levels in the first Shmolems. But that’s ok.

Offline Shmolem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 02:35:43 AM »
Took me two bajillion years but I finally made the final level for Marble, I don’t have any custom music yet but I’m planning on getting some sooner or later. I think I’ll make the Beach levels next.

Offline Shmolem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 12:44:01 AM »
The marble rank is now finished INCLUDING custom music! NOW one to start the beach rank though I’ve already made a rank graphic for it.