Author Topic: L2 Classic Style for NeoLemmix  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
L2 Classic Style for NeoLemmix
« on: September 25, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
Sometimes, orig_pillar can be a bit of a pain to use: it has a lot of blocks that really seem like they should follow a grid, but they're off by a few pixels, making it difficult to combine differently-sized pieces to build larger structures. L2, however, follows an extremely strict grid, and as it turns out, a lot of changes had to be made to the style to compensate for this (I've documented most of them in another topic). I proposed adding the pieces to orig_pillar, but there was more support for making a completely separate L2 classic style, so that's what I've done here using some .pngs containing the tiles and objects provided by Icho.

I certainly find this set a lot easier to use than orig_pillar, and hopefully I'm not the only one who will find it useful.

Trigger areas for objects are based off of the trigger areas of the sets they originated from. The traps currently don't have any constant animations despite being closely related to objects from other sets (of course, they also don't blend in very well...) - still, it might be better if it had them. If you want to provide these, they are welcome additions.

2021-01-24: updated for resizable terrain. Pillar and wood pieces (that are not end caps) can now be resized. There are no plans at this time to make the blocks support nine-slicing, though I would probably accept the modification if someone wants to do it themselves as long it's acceptable quality.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:47:10 PM by Dullstar »

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: L2 Classic Style for NeoLemmix
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 11:05:50 PM »
Interesting tileset. I made a very quick level using it, and I'd say that without direct side-by-side comparison, it's mostly identical to orig_pillar. The most obvious differences are the water, the wider variety of steel pieces, and the more-diagonally-slanted staircases.

One thing I noticed is that in the Editor, under "Theme", it's listed as "l2_classic", whereas all the other L2 tilesets are listed as "L2 Whatever". I'm not sure how to change this, but it might be good for them all to be grouped together.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 12:13:31 AM »
I believe it's related to styles.ini, which is a single file shared by all the sets, and therefore not something a single style should make any attempt to alter (I believe the auto-downloader handles changes to styles.ini, but I don't know for sure); I used some other sets (the set folder is named in the same fashion as the rest of the L2 sets, i.e. l2_[tribe name], while the theme.nxtm is directly copy/pasted from orig_pillar) as a template and didn't really notice any obvious files within the styles that control how the style appears in the list. I'd like it to appear alongside the other L2 sets, however, so if anyone knows what needs to be done to fix it for automatic installations, I'd like to know (if you're doing it manually, you can always manually edit styles.ini).

The differences are fairly subtle: for the most part, it's orig_pillar resized to be grid compliant due to the way terrain works in L2. This grid compliance, however, can make it easier to use depending on how you build levels. I like to use the blocks as bricks, but in orig_pillar they're sized in a way that makes it so it doesn't really work unless you hide the uneven edge outside the level boundaries or awkwardly chop off the edge with erasers or other terrain. I do think the pillars are a bit awkwardly short, but it's not a huge deal. I thought about adding the larger ones from the DOS version for convenience, but ultimately I decided against it because namida indicated that resizable terrain pieces are planned for future versions.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 02:20:06 AM »
Quote from: Dullstar
I believe it's related to styles.ini, which is a single file shared by all the sets, and therefore not something a single style should make any attempt to alter (I believe the auto-downloader handles changes to styles.ini, but I don't know for sure); I used some other sets (the set folder is named in the same fashion as the rest of the L2 sets, i.e. l2_[tribe name], while the theme.nxtm is directly copy/pasted from orig_pillar) as a template and didn't really notice any obvious files within the styles that control how the style appears in the list. I'd like it to appear alongside the other L2 sets, however, so if anyone knows what needs to be done to fix it for automatic installations, I'd like to know (if you're doing it manually, you can always manually edit styles.ini).

Yep, it is related to the styles.ini file. The main NL styles auto-downloader has this styles.ini file correctly altered to include L2 Classic alongside the other L2 styles. For anyone that wants/needs to alter it on their own copy here is roughly what you will write (in bold below) between l2_circus and l2_egyptian:

[l2_circus]
Name=L2 Circus
Order=19

[l2_classic]
Name=L2 Classic
Order=20

[l2_egyptian]
Name=L2 Egypt
Order=21

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 10:48:09 PM »
2021-01-24: updated for resizable terrain. Pillar and wood pieces (that are not end caps) can now be resized. There are no plans at this time to make the blocks support nine-slicing, though I would probably accept the modification if someone wants to do it themselves as long it's acceptable quality.

Download link in OP.