Author Topic: Packs I have, need replays for both Old and New formats.  (Read 1699 times)

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
Packs I have, need replays for both Old and New formats.
« on: September 03, 2020, 05:33:47 am »
I've been gathering replays for packs listed in the Neolemmix board (even oddball ones such as Steve Insane World)
a few of the ones I don't have a complete pack for yet are of course Sublems(which I'm currently trying to complete). Also lemmings-world tour is not complete-waiting on Icho to finish.
Of course I turned them all green too. all Ron Stards 10 levels I haven't completed yet (I was trying to use Willem's Lp playback for the solutions-but a few he said were too difficult so I'll have to work on those ones)

And even the ones listed from Namida on the Neolemmix website(ie his Lemmings Plus packs(1-6,Omega,Alpha,Holiday Plus), Mazulemming, and Doomsday lemmings.
I've turned green the Doomsday lemmings and Mazulemmings. But not turned green the Plus packs although I have the replays(mass replay checked them-all packs passed).

And of the Non-custom one(ie orig, ohno, holiday, xmas). I've only completed the original ones(for both neolemmix and Superlemmini). But I did complete the Genesis ones(both extra and megadrive ones for both Neolemmix and Superlemmini)

Also trying to gather Superlemmini Replays. Today Zanzindorf posted on Youtube his Special ZZD pack replays so I completed my Superlemmini pack using those.
Also have Zemmings 1 for Superlemmini and 1 and 2 for neolemmix with completed turned green replays.

Note: I don't do old format ones though such as Lemmicks I only want the replays for the new format packs.

Ones such as Sammings I didn't download because Mantha doesn't post replays and not many people do those ones.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 03:26:45 pm by ericderkovits »

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
Re: I have replays for about 98% of the Custom Neolemmix packs on the Board
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 09:23:16 am »
how many people play a pack is completely irrelevant but no I don't post replays because I'd rather people figure puzzles out for themselves and mine are purposely not that hard.  If someone requests a specific replay I might supply it but they can come to me if thats the case.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 08:11:19 pm »
I wouldn't say "not many people play it". It's a much newer pack than a lot of the other ones you've listed, and the forums have been relatively inactive lately.

Creators are encouraged to have replays, but there is a difference between "have" and "post". The primary reason is, by having replays, they can prove (even if they don't publicly post the proof) that every level in their pack is possible. This extends to, if there is an NL update that may break levels or replays, these replays can quickly be tested via Mass Replay Test to check if any levels need adjusting (more often than not, when a replay breaks under such circumstances though, only the replay itself needs fixing, not the level - so it is important to remember they're a tool that helps you investigate; not a magic wand that instantly tells you everything). Even this has no enforcement at any point - the closest thing to "enforcement" is that if someone were to end up posting an impossible level, and especially if they posted several, it would quickly put people off wanting to play any more of their content. It's just advice.

For the record - my personal approach to this is that when I release a pack, I immediately give the pre-release testers a copy of my replays; but I wait a month or so before releasing them publicly. My reasoning is that by this point, they've had about as much exposure to the pack - maybe more - as most general users would have after that month; additionally, it means that if I disappear from the forums for any reason, there is someone else who can confirm that my pack is solvable. Again, to be clear - this is what I do, it is not an "everyone must do this" rule. There's no obligation to share replays at all.

Now with that being said - having a large replay collection is very useful in general, and was something I was hoping to put together myself at some point for the purpose of testing future NL versions to make sure nothing unexpectedly breaks. (Sometimes there will be a physics change, usually to fix a bug, where I expect some things to break. That's fine - the test in this case would be looking for unintended side effects.) That doesn't mean it has to include every level, but there's some validity to the "the more the better" idea. I haven't thought enough about it to figure if that's outright the best approach though, or if carefully selecting levels that "push the boundaries" a bit more (in particular those that involve precise timings / positionings or unusual interactions) might be more worthwhile.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:31:50 pm by namida »

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 09:22:08 pm »
ultimately i think i design for the less vocal forum people the lurkers as such as the most active members lean towards harder levels.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 11:29:05 pm »
Nothing wrong with being someone who makes easier levels. The forums certainly could have more easy level packs available. Most of the level packs available were made by long time forumers who have a lot of experience in level solving and level making and so know how to make really difficult levels. Of course, anyone is welcome to take on the hard level packs, but anyone who isn't as experienced will likely get frustrated and quit earlier than those who are.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 11:40:05 pm »
how I wish there was more of me :D im out of easier content to play lol

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 12:11:39 am »
Yea, unfortunately I think a lot of the easier content will come just from the new members. The long time members will likely keep making difficult content. Still remaining hopeful for easier stuff to be made and become available, though! Although, as you have seen I certainly don't mind the difficult stuff, as I can handle them, but I have been playing them for so long that it'll be a huge relief to start playing content a bit more on the easy side once I'm done with United, as the hard stuff has been burning me out a lot and is quite exhausting to play, both mentally and physically. Only time will tell, but as namida said the forums seem to be not as active right now.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 12:18:14 am »
Believe me I'm active here.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 01:05:30 am »
Yes, I know. I'm referring to how the forums seems to be more inactive than usual, just like namida said.

Offline IchoTolot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 07:05:19 am »
The forums certainly could have more easy level packs available.

That's why I prioritized the intro pack since last year and tried to make it as good as possible. I aimed it to teach as many tricks (even advanced ones) as possible as well so that the step to more advanced packs isn't so big anymore.

Also, with my next pack I will try to fill the void of easy/medium difficulty levels as well. So that this new pack will be a natural next step for newer players after the intro pack.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 08:54:25 am »
Yes, I remember you mentioning your observations of what NL really needs and is lacking topic: NL tutorial pack teaching its mechanics and tricks and filling the gap of less challenging levels. Both of these are great ideas and it's a very sound plan. I'm especially looking forward to your more beginner friendly pack. I also hope my replays and feedback for your tutorial pack are helpful. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 02:47:06 am »
I also tried to make Lemmings Plus VI a bit easier than my other recent packs for much the same reason, although it's still a bit harder than the true "easy" packs - just not nearly as hard as my really nasty ones (LPV / LPO2 / LPA in particular).

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 04:13:39 am »
I also tried to make Lemmings Plus VI a bit easier than my other recent packs for much the same reason, although it's still a bit harder than the true "easy" packs - just not nearly as hard as my really nasty ones (LPV / LPO2 / LPA in particular).

I eventually have plans to take on your Plus and Omega packs, as well as Alpha. I don't know if these packs will be next once I'm done with United, but I know at some point I would like to play your packs, namida. Maybe once I'm through United, I'll go back and try and complete Nepster's Nepsterlems. There, I'm currently stuck horribly on a level that both you and Icho were stumped on. It's a level called Scrap the Builders (the name ring a bell?). Although I still haven't succeeded in solving it, I definitely agree that it's much too difficult for its position (currently in the Sun rank, the 4th out of 6). Speaking of which, have you ever gone back and finished that pack? I ask because I think the last Youtube video of you solving a level from the pack is Black Hole 7 or 8. Not asking you to finish the pack for my own benefit, of course. Like you, I prefer to figure out and solve levels on my own before I watch a replay solution if I'm able to get one. I watch replays only after I solve the level in question first, and so I watch just to compare my solution to someone else's.

Regarding your Plus packs, so far I've only completed Plus 1. Well, "mostly." I say mostly because I managed to complete all of it except for 2 levels. So far, a few years ago, I have only played the Dos version of the pack, as it was originally intended for Dos. In its current version, there's one Danger level that you replaced with a completely different level when you made the NL version which I know the solution to but it is extremely annoying and difficult to pull off on Dos. For 3 good reasons: No framestepping, cannot assign skills while paused, and no directional select. It might be slightly easier on Lemmix, but I'm not sure. It basically involves horizontally bashing with only diggers and blockers. The other one is a Psycho level which I managed to solve in NL, and so I'll just have to try and replicate it on Dos. It's a 1 minute crystal level that involves keeping a basher going with the help of builders in the lattice grid. Those are the only two levels that I have yet to beat on Dos. I don't think I ever will for the former as it's just too difficult to pull off on that engine.

The rest of the Plus and Omega packs I have not played at all, but I would love to. The only other one I have just barely tried some time ago was Alpha, but I've only managed to beat only the first level. Already stuck on the second level, but I haven't spent too much time on the pack in general, so I'm likely speaking too soon. Hopefully when I do come back to Alpha in the future I'll be able to solve the level, but that'll have to wait for another time. I might just start with Plus 2 when I get around to it, but I'll probably do the NL version of Plus 1 as well just for completeness.     

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
my list of new format neolemmix packs i have all the replays for
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 05:40:51 am »
I just wanted to list the new format packs that I have replays for.
list 1 will be for the packs I have turned green
list 2 will be for the packs i have replays for but not yet turned green(replays are good though due to Mass Replay checks)

list 1(replays that are green)
Custom packs

assorted Gubbins
clammings
deceit lemmings
namida's doomsday lemmings
dovelems
festival milas 2018
festival milas 2019
franlems(pack I converted)
geofflems
Godlems
insane steve's world
integral lemmings
Willlem's Lemminas
lemmings destination
lemmings reunion
Willem's Tame gone wild
Willem's lemming's xmas 2019
Willem's let's go the willlem's levels
Willem's minilems
lemmings migration
mobilems 3
nepsterlems
pimolems
Minim's ps3 lemmings
Willem's lemmings recurring
Willem's classic reverse lemmings
lemmings-redux
seblems
sublems
Dodochacalo's special pack(pack I converted)
yippee more lemmings
zemmings 1 and 2
Namida's Holiday Lemmings Plus
Namida's plus Alpha (just turned them green today)
Namida's plus Omega 1 and 2(both now green)
Namida's plus 1(now green)
Namida's plus 2(now green)
Namida's plus 3(now green)
Namida's plus 4(now green)
Namida's plus 5(now green)
Namida's plus 6(now green)
Namida whole collection(LP 1-6,Omega 1 and 2, alpha, holiday lemmings plus)
Namida's Mazulems
nes and zx specrum extra levels
UPDATE: Thanks to Kaywhyn I now have replays for Ron Stards Rodents.
Mantha16's Sammings 2
UPDATE: Flopsys'/Wafflems' MegaSegaBytes. Thanks to Icho I have now turned green his replays

UPDATE: Thanks to Tan x dx for fixing All Hallows eve. Now I have turned green this pack due to Icho's replays
Also Thanks to Tan x dx for fixing Renaissance Lemmings. I have turned them all green thanks to posted official solutions.

UPDATE: Now have Icho's replays for PJW's pack that I packed.
UPDATE: Thanks to Kaywhyn, I now have replays for the TM Challenge pack

non-custom packs

amiga demo
amiga and dos holiday 93 and 94 demo
dos lemmings demo
dos oh no more lemmings demo
extra official lemmings(ie genesis, present, sunsoft, sega, psp, amiga and genesis 2player, other)
genesis megadrive(whole pack not just the extra levels-I made this one myself)
original lemmings(amiga and dos)
SNES Lemming(japanese version)
SNES lemming(american version which includes Ohayo lemming san and removed any references to religion-Made myself)
Xmas 91 and 92 lemmings

List 2 (packs I have replays for but not yet turned green)

custom packs

Lemmings World Tour(thanks to Icho I now have all the replays-still working on turning them green)
UPDATE: Turned them all green even after Strato updated the Rockstar and Legend Ranks.
              when he gets the Encore and Groupie ranks fixed(or new ones from Icho's Updated Rockstar and Legend ones again) then I'll continue with that.

Ichotolots lemmings united (waiting on Kaywhyn to finish and have Icho ok them) also 3 sets of replays-icho's official p.md ones and a 2nd set of other people replays including most from kaywhyn) and an entire 3rd set of kaywhyn's - 4 Genodice and 3 bonus levels)

Namida's Plus 6

Note Also I've finished up to Taxing 28 of my Angry Lemmings(which of course I have replays for)

non-custom packs

don't have replays yet for
holiday lemming 93, holiday 94, holiday 93,94, (dos and amiga)
ohno more lemmings (dos and amiga)

Note packs I don't have complete replays for

Colorful Arty's classic reverse lemmings
Colorful Arty's New Skills reverse lemmings
Casual lemmings.
Willem's reverse Oh no more Lemmings.
Grams88 Ski Sloping lemmings
Mantha16's Sammings 1

UPDATE: 2 other packs thanks to kaywhyn on 1 of them I missed. I don't have complete or no replays on
             Classical Lemmings: only first 2 ranks.
UPDATE: Due to Icho updating his Intro pack, Kaywhyn's and Uberwolfies replays on some levels are now broken. So now I don't have this complete replay list.

Finally, See my other post for collection of replays for old format ones

« Last Edit: Today at 08:07:00 pm by ericderkovits »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: my list of new format neolemmix packs i have all the replays for
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 06:12:12 am »
If you completed Alpha without first viewing the solutions, then a huge congratulations is in order as that's my hardest pack (and I'm known for pretty hard levels, when I want to). Well done! :D

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 09:17:07 am »
You can add one to the "don't have list", and that is MegSegaBytes (last page of NL levels board). So far, it appears that no one has completed it ever since it was released. I have plans to play it sometime, but of course I have other packs that I'm prioritizing ATM. Also, I was wondering if you were going to explain the situation to namida, as it appears he misunderstood what you meant by "turning replays for Alpha Plus green." Of course, I know what you really meant by that.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 09:20:06 am »
yes I know he misunderstood, as soon as I saw his post, I think he thought I beat it but that is not what I meant. What I meant is I'm turning green the replays that I collect from neolemmix's level board.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 09:24:39 am »
Yea, the reality is that you ran a mass replay check or simply viewed other people's replays to verify nothing was broken and hence "turn the replays green." Also, you know yourself very well when it comes to level solving and can conclude that Alpha Plus is probably one of the very last packs you would play or completely avoid, given that it's very hard. Truth be told, I'm only on the second level of the pack. That's how hard it is :crylaugh:

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 11:19:05 am »
Thanks for telling me about MegaSegaBytes, by Flopsy and Wafflem. I downloaded the pack, all the levels have special styles so it asks you to download them. anyways your right nobody has completed it. Joshcue18 had the 1st rank but some of his replays are broken. Maybe I should post this in a new post to see if Icho is willing to attempt it. He is an awesome puzzle solver, and he solves almost any pack that is uploaded.

Also I missed Classical Lemmings. This one only the 1st 2 ranks had replays, which according to Mass replay check are all good. Nice Classical music in that one. Also I tried downloading Renaissance Lemmings, but this pack is broken, due to the pickup skills are special-styled ones, and for some reason even when touching them they don't get picked-up, so I'll pass on this pack.

Finally Halloween 2017 by Ryemanni can't be downloaded anymore since his dropbox says there's an error. So I'll forget this pack too.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:27:39 pm by ericderkovits »

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
I don't have replays on Flopsy's and Wafflem's MegaSegaBytes Pack. (UPDATE)
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 11:33:16 am »
Thanks to Kaywhyn for mentioning this pack that I somehow missed. This pack is listed on the last page in the Neolemmix levels board for anybody who wants to download it.
I did, and I think it seems to be a real graphical nice pack.

This pack was made by Flopsy/Wafflem so it's an awesome pack, a sequel to MegaSebBytes.

also classical lemmings I somehow missed so I downloaded that one too, but only the 1st 2 ranks have replays.

UPDATE: Thanks to Icho, I do now have replays for Flopsy's/Wafflems's MegaSEGABytes
UPDATE: Thanks to Tanx dx for updating his All Hallows Eve and Renaissance Lemmings styles so they now both work. All thanks to Icho for his replays of All Hallows Eve and the posted ones by Tanx dx for the Renaissance Lemmings

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 07:10:58 pm by ericderkovits »

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 05:17:05 pm »
And of course for Namida's packs the replays should be good since the ones I downloaded were his. Today I  will turn green his Omega 1 pack. Will do 1 pack of his per day until I get all his
turned green. (already did Mass Replay Checks on them and they're all good for all his packs).

Offline WillLem

• Octopus 9 and the Flying Colours
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 09:41:24 pm »
There's no obligation to share replays at all.

I remember Icho saying I should have provided replays for Oh No! More Reverse Lemmings because there was indeed an impossible level in there (this was due to the conversion from SuperLemmini format to NeoLemmix - the level has now been fixed, of course), so I've always provided a full set with every pack since then. I sometimes use replays just to help get me started if I'm struggling to see any sort of solution for a more challenging level, although I'll delay this as much as possible.

Nothing wrong with being someone who makes easier levels. The forums certainly could have more easy level packs available.

how I wish there was more of me :D im out of easier content to play lol

Watch this space! Lemminas II is in progress (slowly but surely... looking at a Christmas release, methinks). :lemcat:

Yea, unfortunately I think a lot of the easier content will come just from the new members. The long time members will likely keep making difficult content.

Not necessarily. I actually think it's a lot harder to make a good (i.e. non-trivial) easy level than it is to make a difficult level. It's virtually impossible to guess how another player will approach a level you've designed (hence why even the most experienced designers still experience backroutes), which also means that it's very possible to accidentally make a very challenging level that you might think is easy by your own standards.

That's why I prioritized the intro pack since last year and tried to make it as good as possible... Also, with my next pack I will try to fill the void of easy/medium difficulty levels as well.

Looking forward to these! How is the Intro pack coming along?

I also tried to make Lemmings Plus VI a bit easier than my other recent packs for much the same reason

The Sane rank was certainly very enjoyable to play through. Definitely planning to have a go at Rank 2 as well when I start playing Lemmings again, I'm taking a bit of a break from it at the mo.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2020, 09:52:59 pm »
Hey WillLem, welcome back. I'm guessing a break from the forums was very much needed or that you just had a lot to do the last several days/weeks.

Not necessarily. I actually think it's a lot harder to make a good (i.e. non-trivial) easy level than it is to make a difficult level. It's virtually impossible to guess how another player will approach a level you've designed (hence why even the most experienced designers still experience backroutes), which also means that it's very possible to accidentally make a very challenging level that you might think is easy by your own standards.

That's exactly why it's nearly impossible to account for every possible backroute. Sure, some are much easier than others to catch and patch up early on, but as you said, due to how everyone approaches solving levels in different ways, one or a few are bound to be kept in even after release because some of those couldn't had been accounted for due to, say, a new version of NL or some physics updates or possibly even an oversight on the creator's part because he/she missed a really obvious one. 

Offline WillLem

• Octopus 9 and the Flying Colours
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2020, 10:53:14 pm »
Hey WillLem, welcome back. I'm guessing a break from the forums was very much needed or that you just had a lot to do the last several days/weeks.

Thanks! I've just been a bit busy and getting into some of my other hobbies (mainly music) and other general life stuff. It's good to be back.

That's exactly why it's nearly impossible to account for every possible backroute... due to how everyone approaches solving levels in different ways, one or a few are bound to be kept in even after release because some of those couldn't had been accounted for

I think that unintentionally difficult levels and backroutes are both parts of the same phenomenon, caused by what I'm going to call "Designer's Dilemma." It's the point at which a designer considers a level to be mostly finished and can't see anything obvious wrong with it, and the next stage of its development can only happen once someone else has played the level. It's essentially completely out of the designer's hands at that point, and requires a second pair of eyes, and more importantly - a second solving brain!

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2020, 11:13:23 pm »
I think that unintentionally difficult levels and backroutes are both parts of the same phenomenon, caused by what I'm going to call "Designer's Dilemma." It's the point at which a designer considers a level to be mostly finished and can't see anything obvious wrong with it, and the next stage of its development can only happen once someone else has played the level. It's essentially completely out of the designer's hands at that point, and requires a second pair of eyes, and more importantly - a second solving brain!

Nicely said, especially with you terming it "Designer's Dilemma"! :thumbsup: Then we're in agreement that backroutes are always inevitable. The best way to reduce many of them is with experience and to have not just a second person but rather as many testers as possible, preferably those who are able to solve levels, but even then those who can't are still valuable, as then the feedback given to the creator from those people is that the level is likely working as intended and appears to be a difficult level for the most part.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2020, 11:27:07 pm »
The best way to reduce many of them is with experience and to have not just a second person but rather as many testers as possible

Having too many can get a bit tricky to keep on top of, not to mention it means less people who get their initial impression from the released version of your pack!

My advice is to aim for 2 to 4 testers, and importantly, have a variety of skill levels among your testers - you don't want just experts testing it, as they're used to advanced tricks and might overlook simpler backroutes that the less-experienced players find. On the flipside, though, the less skilled players might not be able to solve some of the harder levels, so that's why it's important to have experts too. (There can be special cases here. For example, I only asked the expert players to test Lemmings Plus Alpha because it was intended to be an extremely hard pack.)

If you've done multiple packs, you'll also start to get a feel for who's going to test more or less of the pack, and what kind of feedback they'll give. This is important to consider too. There's one person who's tested a few of my packs, who was excellent at finding backroutes / solving levels, but never gave any feedback whatsoever, even if prompted. This is perfectly fine when it's one tester, but I wouldn't want the entire team to be like that, as feedback is important for level order, possibly for getting rid of really bad levels, etc, too.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2020, 06:38:16 pm »
OK, now I added Godlems to my collection as Icho solved the pack.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2020, 12:26:31 am »
Hey eric, I PMed you my replays for United. The only ones missing are Genocide 21, 28, 37, and 40, as I still need to resolve them. I will send those later once I'm successful. Also check the 2nd message I sent you.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2020, 03:38:22 am »
Having too many can get a bit tricky to keep on top of, not to mention it means less people who get their initial impression from the released version of your pack!

My advice is to aim for 2 to 4 testers, and importantly, have a variety of skill levels among your testers - you don't want just experts testing it, as they're used to advanced tricks and might overlook simpler backroutes that the less-experienced players find. On the flipside, though, the less skilled players might not be able to solve some of the harder levels, so that's why it's important to have experts too. (There can be special cases here. For example, I only asked the expert players to test Lemmings Plus Alpha because it was intended to be an extremely hard pack.)

This is all very well said! :) This was pretty much what I was trying to get at, but I did a much poorer job with my explanation. Of course, as I have never done any level making, at least not yet, I definitely don't have as much key insights into it as the others who have extensively done so.

If you've done multiple packs, you'll also start to get a feel for who's going to test more or less of the pack, and what kind of feedback they'll give. This is important to consider too. There's one person who's tested a few of my packs, who was excellent at finding backroutes / solving levels, but never gave any feedback whatsoever, even if prompted. This is perfectly fine when it's one tester, but I wouldn't want the entire team to be like that, as feedback is important for level order, possibly for getting rid of really bad levels, etc, too.

I have a feeling I know who you're referring to. I generally only see "I've finished the pack" posts from him with only replays and no feedback. From my daily sightings, I know that many people here appreciate feedback, both good and bad, for their own packs. Conversely, I love hearing and seeing feedback from the pack authors themselves regarding my replays. That being said, if you noticed I generally have a difficult time with finding poor things to say about levels, as most of the feedback I've given are "excellent level," "great level," or something along those lines. Needless to say, I'm one of those people where I almost never ever can find bad things to say about the levels, because it really takes a lot in order to get me to really hate a level. If there are levels I didn't like, it's generally only limited to about 1 or a few per rank.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: my list of old format neolemmix packs i have all the replays for
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2020, 11:08:26 pm »

Also I have been collecting some Old format replays for packs that didn't have new format ones.

Packs I have so far from the old formats boards are: (Version 10.13)

1) A Masters Degree in Lemmings (turned them green)
2) An Unnamed Pack by Duuddu (turned them green)
3) lemmingbytes(turned them green)
4) lemmings stampede (turned them green)
5) Paralems (turned them green) note on this pack after downloading it level 29 of Demented (IT'S FEEDING TIME!) the style cattrap was reported missing so I grabbed it from Pitlems and
    Put in into a styles folder for Paralems main folder. It's the only one in there since it was missing.
6)  Raylems (turned them green)
7) A Snack pack by SQron188 (turned them green)
8) Yung's first pack (turned them green)
9) Lemmings Redux (turned them green) Note: the Style dirt_md was reported missing so I had to grap it from Vampprince's and put it into a styles folder for old-formats lemmings Redux.
10) Mobilems 1 (turned them green)
11) Be Smart (turned them green)
12) Old formats intro pack (turned them green)
13) Lemmings squared (turned them green. Note only 32% of the Talisman's were obtained)

packs from v1.43 that I have played with the replays (Note: v1.43 there is no way to turn any green, so just have to watch them to see them work)

1) Lemmicks with Gimmicks
2) Colorful Arty's Reverse Lemmings
3) Gigalem's standard pack

ok now the ones that are in old format that are also in new formats that I downloaded are

1) Sublems (turned them all green)
2) Seblems(I downloaded the old format replays from the board but too many are broken so I don't have any replays. Also most new format replay won't work with the old format ones as they break).
UPDATE:  I now fixed all of Seblems old format replays and turned them all green(and all but 1 talisman I got from the old format ones)
               The one Talisman I couldn't get was Rapture 20, complete in 3min 50sec or less. This is just way too difficult, spent  couple days on minipulating the level to try to get it, but it always
               goes past 3min 50sec. Although I completed the level, just took a bit longer to complete. Even watched the neolemmix one that got the Talisman and repeated it exactly, but for some
               reason the time is different. Perhaps in the old format ones the clock is faster. Also Icho's youtube video one he didn't use the same exact solution so he didn't get the Talisman either.

3) Lemmings World Tour (I have some replays that work with the old formats from the replays that are used with the New formats. Many work, but still many don't)

Packs that I still need replays for

1 Casual lemmings (for old formats I downloaded, but again the replays that were uploaded, most don't work. I think it's because the pack had a new update and the replays were Not updated
to match the new pack, so the replays break._
2) Revenge of the Lemmings 2.0 I need replays since non were posted on the board, but Namida has solutions for this pack on Youtube which I will eventually get solved)

also many of Gigalems special packs the replays don't work either so I just deleted the packs after uploadeding them. But his standard one I got all the replays(which I turned green)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:06:31 am by ericderkovits »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2020, 11:33:53 pm »
Note that "old formats" doesn't refer to just a single version of NL, but basically all NeoLemmix versions prior to V12.0.0 (or at the very least, all versions since the NXP format was introduced - and as far as I'm aware, only a single NeoLemmix pack was ever released that wasn't either originally released as an NXP, or later updated to one, that being GigaLem's first NL pack "GigaLems"). However, most playing of older content is done using one of two versions, depending on which one better fits the pack in question - either V1.43n-F, or V10.13.18.

If a pack was originally designed for a version other than one of these two, and wasn't updated, it's possible some physics change occurred between the pack's release and those NL versions' releases, and this would result in the situation you describe. This is often the case if the author either left the community, or has / had a reputation for not maintaining their packs once released.

Some of the previous NL versions inbetween 1.43n-F and V10.13.18 can be found on the historical versions download page, but pre-V1.43n-F I did not really make any effort to preserve old versions - the source code repo has branches for a very small number of versions further back, but the oldest is V1.43n-B which would probably not be of any use here.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2020, 01:15:48 am »
Here's Retro 14 of Old Formats Sublems so that you can play and solve the level, since this is the only replay I have. I just thought I do it since it's a quickie. The key is to realize

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Regarding level packs for v10 NL, I have replays for all of the packs mentioned except for Paralems, Pitlems, and LWT Old Formats, since I haven't played these 3 packs yet. Also, I'm still working on Casualemmings. I can probably send the replays for the v10 packs that I do have later on. Regarding level packs for v1.43, I don't have replays for any of them except for Lemmicks. I played all the Gigalems packs earlier this year, and I have confirmed all the levels are still possible except for two levels in the Gigalem pack that has zombies. One is broken due to how the lemmings don't exit at all and the steel doesn't work either, while another one is broken due to the removal of direct drop. I have failing replays saved for the two impossible levels, but they might not be necessary since you got rid of the replays due to many of them being broken. Besides those two, I have no other replays for any v1.43 level packs.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:48:21 am by kaywhyn »

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 01:39:56 am »
yeah I knew it had something to do with the stacker and stoner there at the one way wall. It just I didn't think of using the same lemming to stack and stone. Everytime I did it the crowd was always too fast since I was trying to stack and stone with 2 different lemmings. The best I could do was always 1 under the requirement.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 08:09:31 am »
Hey eric, here are some of my complete replay collections for Old Formats NL level packs. Once I see you have downloaded them, I will remove the files, as I would also like to post in the actual level pack topics.

This post, find attached Master Degree Lemmings, Unnamed level pack, Be Smart, LemmingBytes, Lemmings Stampede, and MegSebytes. 6 replay collections left in the next post.

edit: Since you have now downloaded my replays, I have removed them. I will post them again in the actual level pack topics whenever I get around to them.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 08:30:45 am by kaywhyn »

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2020, 08:11:57 am »
Now find namida's NL Introduction pack, Raylems, Snack Pack, Lemmings Squared, Hell Pack Demo, and Yung's First Level Pack. I believe Hell Pack Demo was never ever completed. It's just a short pack consisting of levels made only with the Hell Fire tileset of the original Lemmings.

edit: Same here, I have removed the files and will post them in the actual level pack topics whenever I get around to it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 08:31:20 am by kaywhyn »

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2020, 08:43:46 am »
thanks I downloaded all these.

Some of the ones you posted I have already and even turned those ones green.

Ones I have turned green that you posted that I already have are;
1) Master Degree
2) Unnamed pack
3) LemmingBytes
4) Lemming Stampede
5) Raylems
6) Snack pack
7) Yung 1st level pack

These 7 above I already have and turned them green already

The ones below I don't have so much appreciated.
1) Be smart
2) MegaSebBytes
3) Old Format intro pack
4) Hell Pack

These 4 packs above I don't even have downloaded yet but I will.

and the other one, Lemming squared I have it downloaded but the replays I downloaded from the board are broken, probably due to an update to the pack. So I'll check your ones to see if they work.

If you have any others I would appreciate it.

also I downloaded Old Formats World tour, Many replays from the New format ones work with the old ones, but not all. I actually kinda like the old format ones better for this pack because I
like the sound it plays when a level is solved.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2020, 08:51:46 am »
thanks I downloaded all these.

Some of the ones you posted I have already and even turned those ones green.

Ones I have turned green that you posted that I already have are;
1) Master Degree
2) Unnamed pack
3) LemmingBytes
4) Lemming Stampede
5) Raylems
6) Snack pack
7) Yung 1st level pack

In that case, consider this a bonus in that you now have my replays in addition to the other ones you downloaded for these packs so that you can compare mine to theirs ;)

I actually kinda like the old format ones better for this pack because I like the sound it plays when a level is solved.

You can enable the success and failure jingles in New Formats NL too. I decided not to enable them. Still, I think the custom ones for some packs are quite nice. I have heard custom failure jingles on Lemmings Squared, Casualemmings, and LWT old formats.

Offline Strato Incendus

• He who usually only makes it up to rank two
  • #Team SliderFor20thNeoLemmixSkill
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2020, 03:04:16 pm »
Paralems (turned them green) note on this pack after downloading it level 29 of Demented (IT'S FEEDING TIME!) the style cattrap was reported missing so I grabbed it from Pitlems and
    Put in into a styles folder for Paralems main folder. It's the only one in there since it was missing.

Thanks for the info; I wasn't even aware of the cattrap being missing.
:) I assume just everyone already had it installed back then? It was a pretty newly-made thing by nin10doadict when Paralems came out, as far as I recall.

namida already said that basically everything before V12.0.0 counts as "old formats". Since GigaLems and other older packs were already brought up, I guess my pack "Lemmicks - Lemmings with Gimmicks!", which was deliberately designed for version 1.43 because it relied on the gimmicks as a mechanical feature, would also count as "Old Formats", though I like to refer to 1.43 als "Old-Old-Formats" or "Very-Old Formats" :D .

There is nothing to "turn green" in NeoLemmix 1.43 though, because the level selection menu doesn't offer a level list, only a field for a code to enter, like in original Lemmings. You can still access any level you want to play by navigating back and forth between pre-level screens with the arrow keys. Meaning, you don't actually have to write down the codes. However, you can't check in a simple list which levels you have already played or not.

Or, in your case, just run a replay over. :P In Old Formats, this works, of course - in New Formats, as far as I know, other players' replays shouldn't tick your levels in green? Because the player's username is included in the replay file?

You can enable the success and failure jingles in New Formats NL too. I decided not to enable them. Still, I think the custom ones for some packs are quite nice. I have heard custom failure jingles on Lemmings Squared, Casualemmings, and LWT old formats.

Yep, LWT does have custom jingles, and I hate that custom jingles per pack haven't been re-introduced to New Formats yet. :P Definitely one of the things I'd keep pushing for before the final version of NeoLemmix! It's so emersion-breaking when playing LWT in New Formats to suddenly have that old synthetic victory or failure jingle again, instead of my custom ones that go along with the self-recorded music. Also, of course I'd like to include those for my upcoming packs with custom music as well.

I'm this close to just replacing the standard success and failure jingles with mine in my overarching sound folder. But of course, I'd like to hear other people's custom jingles when playing their packs, too.

Now LWT for the old formats, I haven't even downloaded because I didn't see any posted replays for the pack.

No, because there's two Let's Play series of it on YouTube :P . Some of those are backroutes, of course, but in general it should still suffice as a first hint to help you solve a level.

I won't upload any replays for LWT right now either, because I have a bunch of backroutes to fix on the last ranks now anyway (i.e. where no-one except IchoTolot has gone before :D ).
Sometimes level changes that are required for backroute fixes also require me to slightly adapt my own replay files of the intended solution, after all.

I don't get the weird sense of accomplishment you seem to get from "turning levels green" anyway?
???
What's the point of using other people's solutions to just make it look to yourself as if you had beaten a pack?

Sure, I also sometimes watch replays of packs I never played or don't intend to play, but that's usually to get inspiration for own levels.

In contrast, if you have a complete set of replays for a pack, you can just run a mass replay check over them and "turn everything green" without even having seen what the levels look like. :evil:
Seems like a pretty repetitive effort that doesn't differ between packs...

It also seems a weird choice to me to not even download a pack with the specific reasoning that no replays of it have been uploaded. :D
Simply not wanting to play something is a completely sufficient argument - but "I only want to play it if the work has already been done by someone else"? :P
Or alternatively, "if the level creator has already officially shared all the pack's secrets"?

If it's just about being certain about the solvability of a pack: I can assure you I have working replays of every level in LWT Old Formats and that it is indeed entirely solvable.
In fact, I can probably say that with more confidence than I could for LWT New Formats...
:evil:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2020, 07:34:06 am »
Now that I have Lemmicks with Gimmicks downloaded and the replays gotten, I just finished watching the pack. All I can say really is what the ??? why would lemmings ever allow such nonsense
as gimmicks. I know this was basically when it first started as it is 1.43. But gimmicks like spacewalking or walking backwards, or the goal of destoying the lemmings instead of saving them(Suicidal
gimmick). And Here I thought glitches were bad enough, as I really don't like them either. But these gimmicks are pure idiotic. Now I see why Neolemmix got rid of them, they don't even make
sense. New players of lemmings would just be turned away, I believe, if gimmicks were allowed to be in levels, as many players, especially new ones to lemmings, would be totally confused how to
even solve the levels. I know I would be turned away from playing any packs with any of these gimmicks. I think lemmings should just act normal, not be allowed to space walk or walk backwards,
or use skills in the opposite direction they'e facing or allowed to continue with a skill(Eternal one) or be killed instead of exiting.

Anyways, I found the pack sort of interesting but confusing. However at least players when playing this pack will realise what kinda to expect. Knowing that this pack will be out of the ordinary.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2020, 09:05:25 am »
ok, Now that I have most new format neolemmix pack replays, I figured now I would list the ones I still need replays for.

1) Casual Lemmings
2) Vampprince Lemmings (Recently converted to new formats, with help from Kaywhyn and Namida for NXPextractor for the music, and most levels converted to .nxlv by Mantha16)
3) Colorful Arty's Reverse Lemmings(both classical and new skills ones)
4) WillLems Oh no more Reverse Lemmings
5) Mantha16 Sammings 1(I have her Sammings 2 replays)
6) Grams88 Ski Sloping lemmings
7) UPDATE: still need replays for 3rd rank of Classical Lemmings
8) UPDATE: Now missing replays for many levels of Icho's Intro pack due to Update of the pack. (Kaywhyn's and Uberwolfies ones in some levels need to be resolved)
9) UPDATE: Need replays for converted old formats Gigalems(I converted it to New Formats, since the GigaLems_music.dat didn't play with the 1.43version)
    Note;Although I can still get them from Namida's old format replays on youtube, since they're the same levels
10) UPDATE: Direkrow's 5 level pack (need the last 2 levels replays, 1st 3 I have thanks to WillLem)
11) UPDATE: Mantha16's Allsorts pack

unless I'm missing something, I think that's it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:39:49 pm by ericderkovits »

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2020, 09:31:32 am »
ok Now here's the list of Old format packs I still need replays for.

1) Casual Lemmings
2) Lemmings World Tour (Note many of the new format ones work with the old format pack as I did a Mass Replay check on the old pack using the new format replays. Many work, But still many don't)
3) Any of Gigalems packs (except I now have replays for his standard Gigalems)
4) Pitlems
5) Seblems 2.00 (Most of the replays posted on the board for this pack are broken)
6) Holiday 16 pack
7) Revenge of the Lemmings by Mobius(although Namida has this pack solutions on Youtube)
8) Wafflem has some rejected one listed on the board, but his dropbox link is broken, so can't even download.

I think this is pretty much the old format's one's I need replays for. (Whether it be for 1.43 or any old format versions(most work with 10.13)

Note Kaywhyn gave my Lemmings Squared replays which all work, just I figured to say only 32% of the Talismans were obtained, although both me and Kaywhyn don't really like them, but if Anybody wants to post the replays for the Talisman's I will glady accept them.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:34:02 pm by ericderkovits »

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2020, 09:42:36 am »
Sounds like you enjoyed watching my replays for the Lemmicks pack. *Total sarcasm there.* In all seriousness, some of the gimmicks weren't too bad. Some I enjoyed very much while others not so much. I really loved "wrap," and though I prefer to save lemmings rather than kill them, I still enjoyed the suicidal rank very much. I wasn't a fan of the no gravity gimmick in the Cosmic rank, although there were still some enjoyable puzzles in there. I absolutely hated the lazy and exhaustion gimmicks, though. Most importantly, there was one level in the Hasty rank that I absolutely raged so much at due to frenzy and superlemming gimmicks both active. After almost 10 minutes, I finally did solve it, but I was going insane from losing my rhythm with switching between skills and clicking. Finally, the Bedlam rank was where all the real puzzles were, I felt, being really the only complete rank that had multiple gimmicks active at once. Sometimes, the pre-text outright told you which gimmick(s) were active, while other times you had to figure out which ones were and which ones weren't for yourself.

Really, with gimmicks it's really just a new set of rules to learn and getting used to them. Once you realize that, then the levels aren't so bad. However, since there were too many of them, I can definitely understand why they were culled. The game itself is already complicated, and just having gimmicks makes it even more complicated, since it means more rules to know and get used to. So, in a way I'm ok with them being culled, although if I ever feel the need to play levels with gimmicks I certainly can use the Old Formats NL players.

Besides being a new set of rules to learn, ultimately the biggest turnoff for most people was the very clunky v1.43 NL player, not the Lemmicks pack itself. Compared to other packs, Lemmicks is not as difficult, but it's still no pushover. Especially the first rank, even though it's called "basic" it's not that easy at all. So far, I'm the only person who has completed Lemmicks, and from my experience playing all of the levels, a lot of them are really high quality puzzles. In particular, many of the levels in the Bedlam rank were my favorites. In addition, most of the levels are quite easy. There were only a few that stumped me for a while, with the hardest one for me being Hasty 6, since I was stuck for a few days on that one.

Since it sounds like you're not a fan of the gimmicks that got culled before the transition to New Formats NL, you probably won't want to see Lemmicks 2, which as I understand is currently on hold, as there was some discussion on what the pack should like look in terms of deciding which gimmicks to use in the pack, but it hasn't really gotten any further than that.   

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2020, 04:56:01 pm »
Somebody called my name? :D

I really loved "wrap," and though I prefer to save lemmings rather than kill them, I still enjoyed the suicidal rank very much.

It's hard to find someone who doesn't love wrap, and in fact Lix players seem to use it all the time. :thumbsup:

I wasn't a fan of the no gravity gimmick in the Cosmic rank, although there were still some enjoyable puzzles in there.

Thanks, as you know you weren't the only one not to like that gimmick (myself included). But I can safely say I did my best with the puzzles I came up with for the Cosmic rank, and some of them are indeed so unique that you could never replicate them in any other way.

I absolutely hated the lazy and exhaustion gimmicks, though.

Initially I hated them as well, but when I started building puzzles around them I learned to appreciate the limitations they put into place. Because it's a lot easier to design levels around "weaker" skills. That's part of what I like about many of the more narrow L2: The Tribes skills, for example. Since additional skills are a huge amount of work to implement, having an "on/off" switch for such a gimmick that simply powers down several skills at once was a great alternative to up the stakes for the player.

I think the main reason this gimmick is disliked is simply because it takes away something that the player is used to, rather than providing something in addition (like level wrap).

Most importantly, there was one level in the Hasty rank that I absolutely raged so much at due to frenzy and superlemming gimmicks both active. After almost 10 minutes, I finally did solve it, but I was going insane from losing my rhythm with switching between skills and clicking.

Sounds like you're referring to Hasty 10 ("Heart attack"), which is named that way for a reason. :P

Besides being a new set of rules to learn, ultimately the biggest turnoff for most people was the very clunky v1.43 NL player, not the Lemmicks pack itself.

Exactly. With all of the conveniences New-Formats NeoLemmix has by now, it's hard to judge gimmicks solely based on their own merit. Since they are only available with this very rough and dirty version of NeoLemmix that is 1.43, there are always loads of confounding variables in the mix when asking people how much they like gimmicks. Because they know they can only experience them in the context of this old version, and they will most likely judge them holistically (as ericderkovits did) in the context of an entire pack, rather than as individual gimmicks of which some are good, some are bad.

Compared to other packs, Lemmicks is not as difficult, but it's still no pushover. Especially the first rank, even though it's called "basic" it's not that easy at all. So far, I'm the only person who has completed Lemmicks, and from my experience playing all of the levels, a lot of them are really high quality puzzles. In particular, many of the levels in the Bedlam rank were my favorites.

Thanks a lot for the kind words! ;)

Since it sounds like you're not a fan of the gimmicks that got culled before the transition to New Formats NL, you probably won't want to see Lemmicks 2, which as I understand is currently on hold, as there was some discussion on what the pack should like look in terms of deciding which gimmicks to use in the pack, but it hasn't really gotten any further than that.

WillLem was the one to propose it, and he was also the one to put it on hold. ;) I think it became clear pretty quickly that his taste in gimmicks goes quite "against the grain" of what the majority in the NeoLemmix community like (his favourites are Superlemming and Frenzy). I somewhat "challenged" him to design a small gimmick pack all by himself so that we could get to know his level building style specifically in the context of gimmicks - but he "declined the challenge" and said the idea belongs on the shelf. 8-)

Quote from: ericderkovits
But these gimmicks are pure idiotic. Now I see why Neolemmix got rid of them, they don't even make
sense. New players of lemmings would just be turned away, I believe, if gimmicks were allowed to be in levels, as many players, especially new ones to lemmings, would be totally confused how to
even solve the levels. I know I would be turned away from playing any packs with any of these gimmicks.

Well, it sounds like you kind of "swallowed the whole pack in one bite" ;) . By just watching the replays. If you actually play the pack, you spend more time on each individual level, meaning more time with each individual gimmick, and as kaywhyn said, then you get used to the new rules of each new rank. Just watching replays of it back-to-back means the gimmicks change so quickly from one level to the next, it's basically not much different from playing 170 levels worth of Bedlam-rank chaos.

The old NeoLemmix introduction pack contained one level each for each of the most popular gimmicks back then. I think there should still be a Let's Play of it on YouTube by Flopsy. I remember Hardworkers, No Gravity, Wrap, Exhaustion, Lazy Lemmings, and Karoshi (=killing the lemmings) being a part of it... That's how I got my first taste of the gimmicks, and I was immediately hooked, asking "where can I try this for myself"? :thumbsup:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2020, 05:16:06 pm »
It's hard to find someone who doesn't love wrap, and in fact Lix players seem to use it all the time. :thumbsup:

In multiplayer, yes -- it's essential for balance. In singleplayer it's much less used.

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2020, 05:59:33 pm »
I think the main reason this gimmick is disliked is simply because it takes away something that the player is used to, rather than providing something in addition (like level wrap).

Good point!

Sounds like you're referring to Hasty 10 ("Heart attack"), which is named that way for a reason. :P

Nope, the other one. I think it's Hasty 8. I don't remember the name of the level, but it's the one where you have to alternate between assigning a climber and a floater. 1st lemming is given a climber, the next one has to be given a floater, then the 3rd a climber, 4th a floater, and so on. It wouldn't be so bad if the RR wasn't as high. I think it's currently at 60 or 70, so that made the level really frustrating. The level you mentioned wasn't as bad due to the very low RR (it's only 1).

WillLem was the one to propose it, and he was also the one to put it on hold. ;) I think it became clear pretty quickly that his taste in gimmicks goes quite "against the grain" of what the majority in the NeoLemmix community like (his favourites are Superlemming and Frenzy). I somewhat "challenged" him to design a small gimmick pack all by himself so that we could get to know his level building style specifically in the context of gimmicks - but he "declined the challenge" and said the idea belongs on the shelf. 8-)

That's true. Ultimately, I'm also in agreement with you in that he should try his hand at making gimmick levels on his own first before asking to collab with you on the pack just because of the differences in taste of what gimmicks he likes/hates vs the ones that generally you/community like/hate.

Well, it sounds like you kind of "swallowed the whole pack in one bite" ;) . By just watching the replays. If you actually play the pack, you spend more time on each individual level, meaning more time with each individual gimmick, and as kaywhyn said, then you get used to the new rules of each new rank. Just watching replays of it back-to-back means the gimmicks change so quickly from one level to the next, it's basically not much different from playing 170 levels worth of Bedlam-rank chaos.

Yea, Strato makes a really good point here. It's akin to chess. Sure, you might learn some great tactics and strategies from watching two grandmasters play it, but watching two people play the game isn't the same thing as playing the game yourself, when you are given the opportunity to apply these tactics/strategies. Ultimately to get better at chess, you should be put in the role of the player so that you can apply the tactics and stratagems you learned to the game. Similarly, to get better at Lemmings, rather than play the role of observer and watching replays before you've had the chance to try the level yourself first, the best way is to play a lot of level packs to see the different level creating styles of authors, as well as learn and see the different tricks that are possible in the engines. I myself didn't get this good at the game by just playing the role of the observer. I got really good because of the huge amount of experience I gained from playing all these custom level packs myself. Hence why I'm willing to take on even extremely difficult packs like United and Nepsterlems, the former which I have pretty much completed and am now just simply resolving the new backroute patched versions of some levels I have previously solved, while the latter I'm currently held up on the first level of the final rank. It also kind of helps that I'm a puzzle lover kind of person and have somewhat of a natural solving ability, though again I don't quite see myself at the level of the expert level solvers when it comes to solving, like Icho and Nepster. Also, it bears repeating in that I don't ever watch replays before I have beaten the level myself first. I only watch after I've solved the level to compare my solution to the solutions of other people, because again I prefer the satisfaction of figuring out the level myself first.

The old NeoLemmix introduction pack contained one level each for each of the most popular gimmicks back then. I think there should still be a Let's Play of it on YouTube by Flopsy. I remember Hardworkers, No Gravity, Wrap, Exhaustion, Lazy Lemmings, and Karoshi (=killing the lemmings) being a part of it... That's how I got my first taste of the gimmicks, and I was immediately hooked, asking "where can I try this for myself"? :thumbsup:

Yea, I'm quite glad that you inquired about the pack, because I remember seeing a rank dedicated to gimmicks on Youtube. The version of the Introduction pack I had didn't have it. However, through some searching on the forums and thanks to you, I was able to find the full pack which included the gimmick rank. Nice! :thumbsup:

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2020, 07:46:40 pm »
I've Updated this list for 2 Item's.

1) Added Icho's replays for MegaSEGABytes as turned green.
2) Icho's Introduction pack. Removed complete turned green replays from Kaywhyn and Uberwolfie. So now I need this to be completed with new Update.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 08:21:36 pm »
I have updated this list of new format packs I still need replays for.

1) Updated Icho's Intro pack as Kaywhyn's and Uberwolfies replays for some levels now need to be resolved.
2) Added classical lemmings 3rd rank as not having replays for.
3) Now that I converted GigaLems to new formats from 1.43(didn't play the Gigalems_music.dat) so I still need replays now for the New format's one's
   although I can still get the replays from the old format ones or from Namida's Youtube Channel on this one.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:37:19 pm by ericderkovits »

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2020, 06:48:32 pm »
UPDATE: I just downloaded Grams88 Nuked Lemmings.

I now need replays for this pack as there isn't a complete set of one posted for these.

UPDATE: I just downloaded Mantha16's Allsorts

I now need replays for this pack too since there are none posted.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 07:02:53 pm by ericderkovits »

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2020, 09:13:16 pm »
Update 1;
ok now that I download Direkrows 5 level pack, I need the last 2 levels replays, I have the first 3 thanks to WillLem.

Update 2:
ok now that I've downloaded Mantha16's allsorts pack, I need replays for this one, as I don't have any.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:40:38 pm by ericderkovits »

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2020, 09:23:31 pm »
UPDATE: I've packed PJW's 20 .nxlv into a pack, so Now I have the 20 replays thanks to Icho

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2020, 10:38:41 pm »
Ok, Thanks to Kaywhyn, I now have replays for the TM. Challenge.

Also pretty much now there is nothing more to download from the board, whether new or old formats, or even Superlemmini.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
I'm A lousy puzzle solver, but a completionist as far as replays
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2020, 11:29:24 pm »
As you may or may not know, I have been collecting replays for NL(new and old formats-whether 10.13 or 1.43). I have replays for almost every pack on the board. And I do appreciate them.
And Just for everybody's knowledge I consider Icho and Kaywhyn kings of puzzle solving(sorry kaywhyn if you don't think so). Also like me, Icho and kaywhyn are completionists. Kaywhyn has completed so many packs it's amazing to me(although would be nice if he would resolve those 7 United ones-especially for Icho). And I just want everybody to know I'm a super lousy puzzle solver,
even some really easy levels I get frustrated at(even ones like Geofflems-which is considered to be an easier pack-but for me nothing is easy) Also I know Icho is a Completionist too, since he has so many Youtube solution videos, as this helps me out in my conversions of Lemmini to Superlemmini. And for me converting projects for me is more what I'm good at, such as packing NL levels and converting Lemmini to Superlemmini.

Note: I never post anybody else's replays on any boards, I only collect them. Although sometimes others replays may be broken(due to pack updates), So then I'll try to unbreak them, then I would perhaps post the fixed ones.

Note: also when people post replays usually they're solved ones(meaning they've played the pack). And if a person collects replays it means the pack is too difficult for them(like me) or they just want to be a completionist (like me). Also just because replays are posted doesn't mean a person won't play it (as Mantha16 suggests). Take Kaywhyn for example, He plays many packs and won't even peek until he solves the level himself. And Kaywhyn knows there are solutions on Youtube and other places. Because if that were the case nobody would play alot of packs as many solutions are on Youtube. (Ie Flopsy, Icho, Namida and others)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:27:56 am by ericderkovits »

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
Re: I'm A lousy puzzle solver, but a completionist as far as replays
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2020, 01:13:54 am »
except for the fact you arent completing the packs are you and the fact you aren't posting them is what makes it worse.  If you were doing it for the good of the community to collate all the packs and have them all together in one place I could at least understand it but you have just said that isn't why you are doing it. 

I honestly don't understand what the purpose of collecting the replays is otherwise if you aren't playing the levels.  Mine are the easiest levels out of anyones so i really think you can solve them, ive seen the puzzles you create and you have an eye for that so if you can make levels like that I think you can solve them.

why not have one thread where you list all the packs and attached zip files accordingly it would then be useful for others. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 01:26:52 am by mantha16 »

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2020, 01:25:06 am »
Thanks for the praise and shoutout! :thumbsup:

And Just for everybody's knowledge I consider Icho and Kaywhyn kings of puzzle solving(sorry kaywhyn if you don't think so).

No need to apologize. However, I think you misunderstood what I meant in my other post. I never said that I don't consider myself a puzzle solving great, just that I pale in comparison to some other level solving greats who, in my opinion, I feel are much better at level solving than me in general, and so I feel I'm not quite at their expert solving level. Here, I'm thinking Icho, namida, and Armani. Here, I agree, to an extent, with your assertion that I'm great at level solving, and it certainly makes me smile hearing and seeing this coming from you that you consider me a level solving expert. Not trying to self-deprecate myself either, just my honest self-evaluation as a level solver. That's why I have repeatedly said this about myself: I'm good at level solving, and I can solve difficult levels given enough time, but I don't quite see myself up at the expert level of solving, like the three I mentioned.

Kaywhyn has completed so many packs it's amazing to me(although would be nice if he would resolve those 7 United ones-especially for Icho).

Ok, this almost sounded like a demand, but it's not, so you're fine there. However, I do want to remind you that I will take my time and solve at my own pace. As much as I want to get all the resolving of United done and out of the way ASAP, United is already a very difficult pack as is, and so one shouldn't expect it to be solved quickly. For some levels, they have become so much harder as a result of being backroute patched. Genocide 28 is one such level that I haven't resolved yet, even after taking several swings and attempts at it in the last few days. In its current version, it now seems way too hard. To this end, I have PMed Icho my best attempts at it and perhaps get a little "nudge in the right direction" from him.

Also just because replays are posted doesn't mean a person won't play it (as Mantha16 suggests). Take Kaywhyn for example, He plays many packs and won't even peek until he solves the level himself. And Kaywhyn knows there are solutions on Youtube and other places. Because if that were the case nobody would play alot of packs as many solutions are on Youtube. (Ie Flopsy, Icho, Namida and others)

Nicely said! :thumbsup: Completely agree with all of this. Replays being available has absolutely no bearing in whether a person will play a pack or not. It just simply means the option to view replays is there, and the choice of whether to view them or not is entirely up to the person.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2020, 01:33:39 am »
well I personally don't see the point of replays as anything other than help if people get stuck like I honestly don't understand collecting replays if  not playing the levels

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2020, 01:42:30 am »
sorry Kaywhyn, I didn't mean that to come out as a demand about United. I realize United is a Madman's pack. So I'm in no hurry, this was more of a general statement, not evenly remotely a demand. Just like I take my time at converting Lemmini packs to Superlemmini, I'm in no hurry either. Also eventually after collecting all the replays and converting lemmini to Superlemmini, I really
want to get back to my Angry Lemmings as I've had no time to continue this.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2020, 02:18:35 am »
Also people do play packs even though people know there are replays. Most people feel the satisfaction to know they solved the level themselves, but as I stated I'm super lousy(hence this post)
And I don't have replays for most of the non-custom packs(ie ohno, holiday packs) and I won't collect any from the board(if there are any) because i've solved them before in the way past. Eventually, I'll get around to saving those on my own for both NL and Superlemmini. When lemmings came out in the 90's I played and beat these. Also Lemming2 the tribes, Lemmings chronicles and even Lemmings
Revolution and lemmings 3D I beat when these first came out. So I know I can solve these again.

Also I've tried solving levels before, some are easier than others. and even sometimes when there are no replays for me to collect, I will try to solve on my own (ie hellish 19 of NL's Sublems).
I solved this level on my own when Schmolem was having problems. Then there are other levels (ie Nl's Sublems 18 hellish, even after seeing Schmolems replay on this one, I still wouldn't be able
to repeat it on my own as Colorful Arty stated that this level is the most difficult level of Sublems in NL)

Also as I stated I'm a person who likes to collect things and have a complete list of things whether from Lemmings or anything else not even related to gaming.
And since I'm lousy at packs, I would never be able to have a collection.

Note: Mantha16, I even have official replays from the author himself, not just players. Icho P.M.d me his United replays also his Lemmini Reunion replays when I was converting Reunion from Lemmini to Superlemmini. He even P.M.d me the 3 new Bonus rank levels replays for United. Icho knows I'm a collector so he's ok with this. I didn't even ask Icho to P.M. me these.
Icho P.M.d me the United ones out of the blue. And he P.M.d me the Lemmini Reunion ones when he saw I was converting Lemmini's Reunion to Superlemmini. Again, He did this out of the blue as
a help for me to convert Reunion. And it was a big help. I was just planning on using the Youtubes Reunions replays for help to convert to Superlemmini, but before I got to the 3rd rank, Icho P.M.d me
the Lemmini Reunion replays which helped in later ranks as many NL's versions of levels were different.

And one final thing I don't post complete replays of packs from others since they are not my solutions, that wouldn't be just. If they were my attempts then that's different. That's why I don't post them, but I do download them if people post them. If you want replays for packs 90% of the ones I got were already posted for that particular pack.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2020, 02:27:41 am »
and thats Icho's choice

I prefer not to have replays for my packs used in that way as I prefer for them to only be used as a tool if someone gets stuck and thats my preference.

and if you can solve hellish levels then you can solve puzzles quite well

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2020, 06:08:19 am »
Replays are mostly for the maintainer of a pack, to mass-verify solvability and to write down intended solutions. As long as the maintainer is happily answering questions about whether submitted solutions are intended, it's less urgent to publish replays.

If the maintainer isn't interested in Lemmings anymore 5 years down the road, the maintainer should give the replays to their successor.

Publishing replays mainly helps against losing them. It's a nice side benefit for the players; they can mass-verify the levels for solvability without watching a solution. Even if the maintainer leaves without passing maintenance, somebody can step up to become maintainer, and immediately find the levels fully covered (thus proven solvable) with intended solutions (valuable for future decisions).

I see packs as open-source software projects, and public replay coverage is like unit test coverage. This allows interested community members to help maintain the pack, notice when levels got unsolvable, or answer questions. It also shows that the pack is easier to work with and, in a pinch, to fully maintain.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:17:00 am by Simon »

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2020, 06:53:32 am »
well I personally don't see the point of replays as anything other than help if people get stuck like I honestly don't understand collecting replays if  not playing the levels

I agree with this, but in my case, as a player, I go a little further than this: I don't watch replays even when I'm stuck, I only watch replays to compare my solution to other players, just to see if I made my solution harder than it needed to be or if there's an easier way to solve the level than the way I did, for example, as well as the intended solution from the author, if available. Needless to say, I'm willing to sit through and stay stuck until I figure out the solution myself.

On the level design part, if I ever made a level pack, I most likely will simply provide hints to guide the player towards the solution, as my goal when giving hints is to not give answers away but rather help them improve their thinking and solving ability. As for replays, I most likely won't post any of intended solutions, at least not right away. Several months after release would have to go by first, and I will likely not provide one if the player is stuck, even if they ask. Key words: likely not. This is just me, though. Personal preference of mine. It might depend on if I'm feeling generous and if I feel that a person has been stuck long enough, then I just might provide the player a replay.

In any case, there's nothing that says you can or can't post replays on the forums, and so there's absolutely no obligation to post replays here on the forums for packs at all, regardless of difficulty.

and if you can solve hellish levels then you can solve puzzles quite well

If you say so. I'm going to take this to mean levels in packs of comparable difficulty to the Hellish rank of Sublems, because this statement will not really apply to extremely difficult packs like United or Lemmings Plus Alpha or Nepsterlems, for example. I say the levels in these 3 packs are a true test of one's solving abilities, because if you can beat these packs, then you should be able to beat all the other packs that have a difficulty label less than these easily. Of course, I'm looking forward to trying my hand at Armani's Lemmings Uncharted pack when he's done with it to see if how much it will truly stump me.

sorry Kaywhyn, I didn't mean that to come out as a demand about United. I realize United is a Madman's pack. So I'm in no hurry, this was more of a general statement, not evenly remotely a demand. Just like I take my time at converting Lemmini packs to Superlemmini, I'm in no hurry either. Also eventually after collecting all the replays and converting lemmini to Superlemmini, I really
want to get back to my Angry Lemmings as I've had no time to continue this.

Yes, I know, I was not offended. It was simply a word of caution that it might look and sound like a demand to someone else. Good to know that we're on the same boat of taking one's time. I have stated over and over for you to take your time on your pack conversion projects to Superlemmini, as well as your own level pack you're making, as I don't like to rush, and this personal preference of mine extends to others as well: I don't like rushing others either. I rather people take their time and do a stellar job on their packs instead of rush the release and it turning out not as good as it should. I have also stated to take a break before embarking on another conversion project, as they're still a lot of work. Although I'm a person who loves to stay busy and work all the time, I also believe in taking breaks and not in "all work and no play."

In any case, I thank eric for his honesty and his explanation of why he's doing what he is. Actually, I've understood and figured out why he's been collecting replays for quite a while now. Even though I also prefer that he takes the time to play and sit through playing levels on his own so that he can improve his solving abilities, his explanation posts are good enough for me, and I'll just leave it at that.

I'll just close by saying that I truly believe he's very capable of solving, as indicated in his post of how he was able to do all of the official games and even some custom levels himself. I just think he's just selling himself short by saying he's "not so good at solving" and not allowing his true abilities to really show and shine on the level solving front.

Offline IchoTolot

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2020, 08:39:11 am »
The main purpose of replays is to allow for good pack maintenance. You can detect and report backroutes, you can assure solvabilty and you can store the intended solution. Also, the storage of attempts is possible for solvers.

If replays and levels stay available, the pack can be maintained and even be resurrected when the original author leaves.

Having a big replay library can be very advantageous and not only for maintenance purposes. I see the value of rewatching the solutions you enjoyed the most.

Sharing official replays is a thing the author should decide, but any person solving the pack is also free to do that. That said, the author should still consider sharing those if they decide to leave the forum.

On the matter of collecting replays, but not solving them:

Again, I see the value and the fun in watching awesome solutions for levels. This is what I did in the beginning as well by watching Pieuw and Lacktardo's solutions on Youtube. That's how I learned about custom Lemmings and the scope it can have. So I would never hate on it.

That being said though, I would never use the term I completed or solved a pack when I just got the replays from somewhere. "I've got solving replays to X" would be a better term here.

And I just want everybody to know I'm a super lousy puzzle solver

This! If I would be able to ban a statement from the forums than it's sentences like that or the classic "I'm not good enough for pack X".

If you don't try then this will never change. How do you think I was able to solve all these packs? I tried, I failed, I tried again and again until I solved it and learned from it. And from these experiences I got better and better.
If there is a will then there is a way! If there is enough will to invest the time and effort to solve a pack then it will inevitably happen! INEVITABLY! Even when it takes over a year.

Again, I am totally fine with a person that doesn't want to invest the time and effort to solve a pack! It can be a huge task and we all have limited time and energy! Watching replays can even help growth in terms of solving skill.
It's just that the standard statements like "I'm not good enough" I see again and again and they never change. If there was the will to do something about that they would, but it's not the lack of skill that is the road block here, it's the lack of will. Again, that's fine, but I would rather hear the real reason!

But back to all the replay topics:

I have no problem with topics about replay collections, but I think we've gotten to a point where there are too many topics for 1 person's replay collection.
ericderkovits are you ok with me merging some of them? You really only need 1 or maybe 2. You can then tidy up the merge and put the most relevant infos in the first post: Replays you have, replays you need.
Then you can post new updates in new posts in that master topic instead of entirely new ones. (with updating the first post as well)

Relevant merge topics would be:

- I don't have replays on Flopsy's and Wafflem's MegaSegaBytes Pack. (UPDATE)
- I have replays for about 98% of the Custom Neolemmix packs on the Board
- my list of new format neolemmix packs i have all the replays for  (Could be the candidate where everything else gets merged into, just change the title to "my list of packs i have all the replays for" to include different engines)
- Remaining new format packs I don't have complete replays for
- just finished watching replays of Lemmicks with gimmicks.
- remaining old format neolemmix packs I don't have replays for
- collecting some old formats replays
- This topic right here. ;)

Again, I have no problem with you posting about your replay collection and the replays you still need. I just think it can be done way better in 1 dedicated topic instead of many. ;)

Mine are the easiest levels out of anyones so i really think you can solve them,

I disagree with you here, Mantha. You underestimate the difficulty of some of your levels. ;)    You can drift into the diffucult area more easily than you think!

Online kaywhyn

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2020, 09:19:58 am »

And I just want everybody to know I'm a super lousy puzzle solver

This! If I would be able to ban a statement from the forums than it's sentences like that or the classic "I'm not good enough for pack X".

If you don't try then this will never change. How do you think I was able to solve all these packs? I tried, I failed, I tried again and again until I solved it and learned from it. And from these experiences I got better and better.
If there is a will then there is a way! If there is enough will to invest the time and effort to solve a pack then it will inevitably happen! INEVITABLY! Even when it takes over a year.

Precisely, Icho is spot on here! ;) I got really good at solving levels in nearly the same manner as Icho: I have played so many custom level packs over the years and I gained a lot of experience as a result. Was I able to conquer them? Yes, at some point, although some with more difficulty than others (Pimolems and Reunion both on Lemmini come to mind here, the former which I stopped for a couple of years when I got frustrated with Hurricane 3 but when I finally did come back to the pack after those years of absence I was able to get past that roadblock and eventually finish the pack, all on my own too). Icho knows from my posts in his United topic that I have failed over and over, but did that stop me in my quest to conquer his pack? Not at all! Even the difficulty tag of [hard-extreme] that he attached to the level pack title didn't scare me away from taking on the pack ;) Did I want to give up at times? Yes, but I still persevered and made it through all 238 levels, Bonus rank and all. Here, I have to say that it was thanks to Icho's encouragement, as well as yours eric, that allowed me to continue through to the very end, even when the going got very tough as I inched deeper and deeper into the Genocide rank, which was the rank that I initially feared when I first started the rank and thought would finally defeat me as a player and hence end my incredible run at finishing the pack.

Additionally, it was the fact that I made it all the way to the 5th and final rank of the main pack that told me, "I've come too far to possibly quit now. I must carry on and finish, even when I really wanted to give up for good." Remember the time I started losing hope because I was stumped for several days on Genocide 5 and thought I wasn't good enough and wasn't meant to beat Icho's United pack? Nope, Icho thought otherwise and provided me support and encouragement to keep going! I think way before I got to that point in the pack he was already beyond impressed with my solving abilities, especially with all the backroutes I found in the War rank, and hence was looking forward to more solutions from me.

Come to think of it, I think United is the very first pack I took on in NL. So, it looks like I was daring and decided to go straight for the most difficult pack there was without having played any other packs in NL first, not even the tutorial pack! And this is coming from someone who was a very long time Lemmini/Superlemmini user who had beaten Dovelems, Pimolems, and Reunion on Lemini before taking on United! ;) I think what helped was how I had visited the forums daily for the past several years, as well as acquainted myself with the NL mechanics via the manual. I had registered for an account a couple of years ago, but I didn't start posting on this forum until earlier this year. IIRC, I was able to get all the way to Neutrality 7 before I truly got stumped and then that's when I took a break from United and played other packs in the meantime. Not bad, huh? ;)

As a player, I am willing to take on even the most difficult of packs. I love packs of all difficulties, anyway. This being said, I'm definitely looking forward to taking on Armani's Lemmings Uncharted pack whenever he releases it.

I have no problem with topics about replay collections, but I think we've gotten to a point where there are too many topics for 1 person's replay collection.
ericderkovits are you ok with me merging some of them? You really only need 1 or maybe 2. You can then tidy up the merge and put the most relevant infos in the first post: Replays you have, replays you need.
Then you can post new updates in new posts in that master topic instead of entirely new ones. (with updating the first post as well)

Relevant merge topics would be:

- I don't have replays on Flopsy's and Wafflem's MegaSegaBytes Pack. (UPDATE)
- I have replays for about 98% of the Custom Neolemmix packs on the Board
- my list of new format neolemmix packs i have all the replays for  (Could be the candidate where everything else gets merged into, just change the title to "my list of packs i have all the replays for" to include different engines)
- Remaining new format packs I don't have complete replays for
- just finished watching replays of Lemmicks with gimmicks.
- remaining old format neolemmix packs I don't have replays for
- collecting some old formats replays
- This topic right here. ;)

Again, I have no problem with you posting about your replay collection and the replays you still need. I just think it can be done way better in 1 dedicated topic instead of many. ;)

Great minds sure think alike, Icho! :) My thoughts exactly on there being too many replay collecting topics and I had the exact same idea that eric should have an admin merge them all into a single or even two topics only. I too am also with Icho here in that I don't have any problems with eric collecting replays. Hence why I kind of did an intervention because I didn't want eric to be seen in a negative light with the way he was posting in the level pack topics that he "downloaded the pack and the replay collections of other players" and that I said discussion should be limited to just the level pack, like "these levels are nice," "I need help with this level," "here are my replays for this rank and some feedback I want to give the pack author," etc. and that, like Icho said, that since eric has replay collection topics that he can post about gathering the replays in his own topics instead. Also, I think all of those topics could possibly end up being seen the wrong way by others on the forum and think he's spamming and/or get the wrong impression of eric as a person, which is why I intervened to make sure it doesn't escalate to that point.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:00:10 am by kaywhyn »

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2020, 09:35:37 am »
Thanks Icho, I have no problems with the merging of the posts. Also I do attempt levels when either I'm missing a replay for a level or maybe it's broken. Also just because I have replays for a pack
doesn't mean I couldn't go back and attempt them on my own. Also it's very easy to forget solutions to packs even when you have replays. I couldn't remember every solution to a level if I were t
go back and play them. Just like when I go back to complete my NL and Superlemmini ohno's and Holidays ones I still need to get. I beaten them in the past. But I know I will still probably take several attempts on these to solve as I don't remember every solution.

Also as I stated earlier I never post other people replays as a whole, maybe a broken one that i fixed perhaps, because there not my solutions. I find that unjust. But if you want replays like me,
just search for them, in the packs topic. Most of the time they work as is, although sometimes replays may be broken due to pack updates. Currently I'm up to the Rapture rank of old formats
Seblems as many replays either are broken or have switched locations. And believe me, many in this pack the replays have been broken. But I've fixed the first five ranks of Old format Seblems.

And perhaps I don't try packs is, I often get frustrated at trying to solve levels, I even remember trying to do United's Double Vortex since I thought the replay was broken. But I found it super
difficult. But I did spend probably a couple days on it to try to get the replay.

Also there were quite a few in Sublems I was trying to solve as I needed ones up to the Chaotic rank that I didn't have, because Shmolem only posted one after chaotic. and many were different
in Nl compared to Superlemmini.I remember posting I just couldn't do Hellish 18 or Hellish 20 or retro 20 until kaywhyn said retro 20 was broken due to Superlemmini's version Update.

So believe me maybe I'm not lousy. Let's just say I'm not too skillful or have alot of patience when it comes to level solving.

Offline IchoTolot

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2020, 10:59:11 am »
Alright everything is merged! :8():

It's a bit unsorted now, but now it's your turn to tidy up a bit. ;)

Mainly it's just modifying the first post in here so that it has nice lists of old/new format replays you have and replays you still need. After that you could remove the other posts that just include your old lists.

And everytime you got a new replay batch you can then update your list inside the first post and maybe make another update post in here. :)

EDIT: Oh, and maybe also adjusting the main topic here so it covers all. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Packs I have, need replays for both Old and New formats.
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2020, 06:51:30 pm »
in New Formats, as far as I know, other players' replays shouldn't tick your levels in green? Because the player's username is included in the replay file?

This is true from V12.6.0 (or might have been 12.7.0?) onwards. Prior to this, any replay would be accepted.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2020, 05:26:26 am »
Ok, I updated my old formats list to now include the fixed Seblems replays that were broken. All are turned green too. Even got all but 1 Talismans too. The one that is extremely difficult to get
is Rapture 20(Final Rush) as it says to Compete in 3min50sec or less(out of 4min30sec). The best I could get was 10 seconds over the time allowed for the Talisman. I even copied the solution
from the New formats ones but for some reason the time is different(maybe old formats clock is faster). But I do have the normal replay for that level, just not the Talisman.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Today at 09:14:58 pm »
ok i've turned green all of Namida Plus series packs, whether individual packs or the whole collection.

Now I'm working on his Compressed pack, but since this one involves levels from any pack(except Alpha), I have to find which pack the replay is from and put it into the compressed pack ones.
This also includes the 14 Talismans that are in listed in the Compressed pack. Once I do this, then I'll turn them green. also since this takes time to do I'll do 15 per day until the 90 are done.
so now I've done the 1st 15. so it will take 6 days to do 90 replay levels (15perday time 6 days = 90 replay levels.)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Today at 09:28:18 pm »
Well, even though I think I've understood why you're doing this, calling it "working" seems a bit of an overstatement. ;) When it's literally all the other players who do the "work" for you.

Sure, it takes time to run every single replay over a level. But shouldn't a mass replay check also turn your levels "green", if that is what you care about? :P

Of course, that way you don't get to watch them. But mass replay checks would allow you to scratch your completionist itch and "turn levels green" while at the same time not actually spoiling all the solutions for yourself. ;)

Just think about this for a second: If you actually do end up collecting complete sets of replays for every single level pack, and you also watch them all... there will be literally nothing left for you to play on this board. Despite all the effort people have put into designing those levels - you will have burned through all of them already.

Of course, I doubt anyone would be able to actually remember the solutions for all those levels, especially when just watching them passively. So whenever you do end up attempting a pack yourself, I'm not saying everything will already have been completely spoiled for you, because you're pretty much guaranteed to forget some of the details again. But even if just the main gist of a level's solution comes back to your mind as soon as you encounter it again... you're still missing out on ~80% of the playing experience.

I'm not telling you what to do or not to do; if you enjoy this, go ahead. ;) I'm just currently reminded a little bit of a kid opening all the doors of their advent calendar on 1st December... :P
« Last Edit: Today at 09:34:33 pm by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Today at 10:17:48 pm »
yes, I realize collecting replays for every pack could spoil the fun in doing packs, but there is no way I could ever remember solutions to packs if I decide to take on one. Plus I am just not good at
puzzle solving(even easy packs i've tried(ie geofflems) and I get frustrated at that too). Plus there are so many packs that I wouldn't even be able to take on as they are just way too difficult, at
least for me. But yes I do enjoying watching them. In new formats, doing a mass replay check will not turn them green as I done this before like in Icho's solutions to your LWT new formats pack.
In Old formats ones it does as Iv'e done that for some packs already. like Sublems it turned them green without me even watching the whole pack.

But there are some packs that nobody has completed or even started yet (ie Colorful arty's reverse lemmings and new skills reverse lemming, or Willems reverse oh no more lemmings-so eventually I'll attempt on getting replays for those on my own as there closer to the original games which I solved myself many years ago when lemmings came out)

Also I never will repost any of these in the packs forum's since they are not mine. Also sometime packs get updated so replays break, then I do attempt on fixing those which I've just finished doing for Flopsy's old format Seblems as many either broke or Flopsy switched levels in his 2.00 most recent update on it.

Anyways doing this doesn't bother me at all as far as spoiling any fun. Plus no, there will never be running out of packs replays to get as people continually make new packs. Also I collect
replays not only for new and old format neolemmix packs, but also for Superlemmini as I've converted and am converting Lemmini packs to Superlemmini ones. I want to be able to have
replays for as many Packs for Superlemmini Too.

Also I'm a completist so I want to have replays for every Pack availiable whether neolemmix's new or old formats, and also for Superlemmini. But I've got so many packs that I don't have replays
for either because the replays are broken, not completed by anybody yet or I'm still attempting to get finished(even in some of the Superlemmini remakes I've done like Ohno's or holiday packs.)

But even if I do get all the replays and turn them green, and no more are availiable to do at the time, I will go on to get them for Lemmings 2 the tribes, and Lemmings 3(chronicles), Lemmings
3D, and Lemmings Revolution which I all have programs for. So I can't imagine running out of replays to get.