Author Topic: Vacuum Pack - my first level pack. Feedback welcome!  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Dr. Slater

• View Profile
Re: Vacuum Pack - my first level pack. Feedback welcome!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 08:24:03 PM »
That seems to be the trend with the New Formats NL level packs, where they are often very difficult packs. There are some easy packs, but there aren't as many, and most of them tend to be for Old Formats NL. Even then, they're still no slouch or complete pushovers. Because the easy and medium packs seem to be lacking, there seems to be community agreement that there needs to be more easy packs, especially for those who might not be as experienced. That being said, your levels still pack some punch, although to be fair this is only an 8 level demo. However, if your levels are already this difficult, I can't imagine how difficult the eventual pack will be as a whole. At the same time, you might be right about your levels so far being much tamer compared to some of the most difficult levels currently found in very high difficulty packs. It's likely also due to how you're mostly restricting yourself to the classic 8 skills, although as I have seen even levels that make use of just those skills can be quite difficult. Nepsterlems is a very good example of that, and one which I haven't quite completely solved yet.
I just edited the OP - my current assessment of this pack has been adjusted to "medium"... Btw, you sure seem to have the pulse of this community! When it comes to skillsets, I'm probably quite conservative... And I sure hope to be able to create some really difficult levels, but can't say that my ideas are plentiful ATM :-[ Given that most of my levels are pretty compact, I've even considered merging some of them, but OTOH that wouldn't make my pack any bigger...

I'll start working on a 9th level now. Got some new ideas, and will try to implement them as best I can. Sometimes a project takes on a life of its own. For example, level 8, which is my favorite so far, startet as a mere test of two ideas :thumbsup:

Offline Dr. Slater

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 12:23:10 AM »
Level 9 - "The Dead Baron?"

Played around with some new ideas, without being able to implement all of them. Will look for ways to fine-tune it. There may well be backroutes...

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 02:00:24 AM »
Level 9 solved. Replay attached. Should be intended, as it uses all the skills except for the clearly red herring bombers :laugh: I definitely say this is a medium difficulty level, as it's clear for the most part where everything goes except for one somewhat obscure trick that might escape the more casual players.

I just edited the OP - my current assessment of this pack has been adjusted to "medium"... Btw, you sure seem to have the pulse of this community!

I can agree with this for the time being, although perhaps over time the pack might even go up to Hard, and so the pack would likely be tagged a Medium - Hard one.

Haha, well the advice I always give players is to just solve more and more packs so that over time their solving abilities improve. In this way, tricks are picked up along the way, and when it comes time to using them to solve a particular level they can come in very handy. At the same time, I think I've always had the puzzle instinct/mentality and hence I generally have an easier time than most when it comes to solving Lemmings levels. Of course, this doesn't mean that no levels ever stump me. I get stump more often than you think, but I think the characteristic that sets me apart from most other Lemmings players is that I constantly keep coming back to the roadblocks until I finally succeed in solving the level. United is a very good example. I got stuck often and usually for weeks/months. I also mentioned before that I'm willing to sit through and get stuck for however long it takes until I finally get a level solved.

I'll start working on a 9th level now. Got some new ideas, and will try to implement them as best I can. Sometimes a project takes on a life of its own. For example, level 8, which is my favorite so far, startet as a mere test of two ideas :thumbsup:

Feel free to release a set of multiple levels at a time, as well as take your time on your pack. There's absolutely no pressure or rush to finish, so you can take however long you need. You could even wait on releasing more levels to play until you have a fair idea of how big you want the eventual pack to be. It's your project, after all, so even if it ends up taking a while, your levels will likely be much higher quality as a result as opposed to those that are rushed and released in short order. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Dr. Slater

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 01:36:35 PM »
Level 9 solved. Replay attached. Should be intended, as it uses all the skills except for the clearly red herring bombers :laugh: I definitely say this is a medium difficulty level, as it's clear for the most part where everything goes except for one somewhat obscure trick that might escape the more casual players.
Yes, you found the intended solution.

Haha, well the advice I always give players is to just solve more and more packs so that over time their solving abilities improve. In this way, tricks are picked up along the way, and when it comes time to using them to solve a particular level they can come in very handy. At the same time, I think I've always had the puzzle instinct/mentality and hence I generally have an easier time than most when it comes to solving Lemmings levels. Of course, this doesn't mean that no levels ever stump me. I get stump more often than you think, but I think the characteristic that sets me apart from most other Lemmings players is that I constantly keep coming back to the roadblocks until I finally succeed in solving the level. United is a very good example. I got stuck often and usually for weeks/months. I also mentioned before that I'm willing to sit through and get stuck for however long it takes until I finally get a level solved.
Can't say that I share your patience and determination :thumbsup: As a child, I had that drive to brute-force my way through difficult computer games, but those days are long gone...

When it comes to Lemmings, it seems to be particularly important to understand the game mechanics and find creative ways to combine the skills. Knowing the peculiarities of the code and learning how to exploit them.

Feel free to release a set of multiple levels at a time, as well as take your time on your pack. There's absolutely no pressure or rush to finish, so you can take however long you need. You could even wait on releasing more levels to play until you have a fair idea of how big you want the eventual pack to be. It's your project, after all, so even if it ends up taking a while, your levels will likely be much higher quality as a result as opposed to those that are rushed and released in short order.
Yes, it's probably better to release several levels at a time, especially when they're this small (and probably pretty easy to solve for most members). Lately I've had a lot of spare time, but now it's back to work, so this project might take a while to complete.

Great feedback, as usual! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 10:44:25 PM by Dr. Slater »

Offline Dr. Slater

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 10:03:47 PM »
Level 9 has been modified. I now think it is clearly among my most difficult levels, but as always, I might have added a few backroutes in the process...

Added a lower floor, a fire trap and a few skills. Still no talisman, as I think having to save 100% makes it more interesting.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 05:37:10 AM »
I solved the level but spared some skills, so it's probably a backroute.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Dr. Slater

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 10:22:08 AM »
I solved the level but spared some skills, so it's probably a backroute.
Thanks! Good job, and I would consider your solution a slight backroute. Pretty similar efficiency - my best run was perhaps eight seconds faster. I'll keep looking for ways to fine-tune the level. Will probably adjust the platforms and/or fire trap.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:

* Removed the lowest platform and a few skills.
* Slightly moved the fire trap and the teleport platform

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Attached yet another level 9 update + replay.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:13:42 PM by Dr. Slater »