Author Topic: Thanks!  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Stretchie

• View Profile
Thanks!
« on: August 14, 2020, 11:25:58 PM »
Just to say thanks for reintroducing me to Lemmings, a game that  I played so muchin 1991 om my Amiga. it was that it was making a happy man very old  Now I'm 72, and you're making an old man very happy! Thanks again. Stretchie

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 11:31:30 PM »
Welcome to the forums! :)

And thank you very much for the kind words! :thumbsup:

I wish you lots of fun playing!

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 11:37:20 PM »
welcome

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 08:20:19 AM »
Welcome! I assume that makes you the oldest member of the forums... but I'm not absolutely sure. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 08:20:28 AM »
Welcome and enjoy the forums!
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
Welcome! I assume that makes you the oldest member of the forums... but I'm not absolutely sure. ;)
That makes me wonder: who's the youngest? ;)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 05:39:20 PM »
Probably Tomato Watcher. AFAIK he's only a teenager right now and currently a junior (I think?) in high school.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 07:28:13 PM »
That makes me wonder: who's the youngest? ;)

Probably Tomato Watcher. AFAIK he's only a teenager right now and currently a junior (I think?) in high school.

I believe Kaywhyn is right for "youngest right now", although some of our current users were younger when they first joined than Tomato Watcher is now (myself included).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 07:58:32 PM »
all i know is im not the oldest whoop whoop

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 08:18:08 PM »
Welcome to the forums, Stretchie :-)

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 11:09:19 PM »
Hi Stretchie! Glad you found us! :)

You got it, Kaywhyn ;)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 01:38:30 AM »

You got it, Kaywhyn ;)

Well, it would appear that I'm wrong. According to the calendar, there are two registered members who are both younger than you by a few years. Let's just say that you're the youngest somewhat active member, as those other two are ones who haven't been on here for a very long time.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 02:23:55 AM »
Let's just say that you're the youngest somewhat active member, as those other two are ones who haven't been on here for a very long time.

I'm a little surprised people younger than me are (or, at least, were) interested in Lemmings at all. Really, it's odd that I'm interested. :P I'll take the honor of "youngest active member" at least. ;P

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 03:55:39 AM »
Like Namida said, some members, including himself, were younger than you when they registered for the forums. Believe it or not, a lot of us here who came way before you got acquainted with the game Lemmings at an age younger than your current age, especially those here who were around not way before the game came out. It makes sense, because remember, the game came out in 1991, and it seems a lot of members here were around in the 80s/90s. I was introduced to the game when I was around 6 or 7, and I'm one of several people here who's older than the game (I'm 1989). I think currently there are way more members here younger than those older than the game, although it might be really close.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 04:25:20 AM »
Well, by "younger than me," I meant younger than me currently. I'd imagine some of you getting introduced to the game at a young age, as well as joining the forums at a young age. I was mainly referring to those two you mentioned that are younger than me. So, born in the mid 2000s or later, I mean.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 04:57:55 AM »
It's very likely youngsters today were introduced to it by someone who grew up with the game, and would not had found out about it otherwise. You'll be surprised by those younger than you who know about this game. Definitely not that many here who are about half the game's age. Also, don't forget that people like you have access to way more today than us who are much older when we were your age. Social media, Youtube, etc. These were just barely coming into the world when I was your age and in high school, but I didn't know about them until about 2 years after they were founded and made. I got acquainted with them in my senior year of high school, months before I went off to college. It's probably not likely youngsters today will accidentally stumble upon game information on these sites, but with how very easy it is to find information online on practically everything, maybe sooner or later they will, if ever.

It's hard to believe that next year the game will be 30 years old.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 05:52:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum Stretchie :D

Hope you have a good time here. :thumbsup:
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 06:49:41 PM »
Like Namida said, some members, including himself, were younger than you when they registered for the forums. Believe it or not, a lot of us here who came way before you got acquainted with the game Lemmings at an age younger than your current age, especially those here who were around not way before the game came out. It makes sense, because remember, the game came out in 1991, and it seems a lot of members here were around in the 80s/90s. I was introduced to the game when I was around 6 or 7, and I'm one of several people here who's older than the game (I'm 1989). I think currently there are way more members here younger than those older than the game, although it might be really close.

In my case, I first knew of Lemmings at about age 3 or 4, when we had a copy of it on a DOS computer. I say "had a copy" because, this PC had no mouse and I never figured out keyboard controls, so all I could actually do was start up the first level of each rank and watch the lemmings walk around (or splat, in the case of Mayhem). Were it not for this, it would have outright been my first non-edutainment video game - but this matter resulted in Commander Keen 4 taking that title instead. Not too much later we got a Sega Master System where I was able to play the game for real; and not too much later than that we got a PC with a mouse so I could play the PC version too. I would have been maybe 6 or 7 at most when I reached Mayhem 29, + found the code for Mayhem 30 and completed it. Never actually completed Mayhem 29 on PC until many years later; Master System was another story, but then, that version has a very different Mayhem 29 (as in a completely different level altogether - and a ridiculously easy one at that).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 09:09:06 PM »
In my case, I first knew of Lemmings at about age 3 or 4, when we had a copy of it on a DOS computer. I say "had a copy" because, this PC had no mouse and I never figured out keyboard controls, so all I could actually do was start up the first level of each rank and watch the lemmings walk around (or splat, in the case of Mayhem). Were it not for this, it would have outright been my first non-edutainment video game - but this matter resulted in Commander Keen 4 taking that title instead. Not too much later we got a Sega Master System where I was able to play the game for real; and not too much later than that we got a PC with a mouse so I could play the PC version too.

Makes me wonder how we learned the keyboard controls when we first got a copy of the game. If you recall, my dad so happened to have a floppy disk on him when we were out at some family social event, and he essentially copied the files onto it so that we were able to install it later on our computer at home. Since we didn't have any game documentation or anything, I wondered how we learned the various keyboard controls for the game. Or maybe the game files included a readme file on the game? I don't recall.

How interesting! I was acquainted with Commander Keen 4 at around the same age as you! Not sure how we got a copy of it, though. I never completed the game at the time, although I remembered the game during my high school years and I finished it for real in the summer months just before leaving for college.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 01:16:52 AM »
How interesting! I was acquainted with Commander Keen 4 at around the same age as you! Not sure how we got a copy of it, though. I never completed the game at the time, although I remembered the game during my high school years and I finished it for real in the summer months just before leaving for college.

I completed it back then, but I never found how to access the Pyramid of the Forbidden until a bit later (though still a long time ago now).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 01:51:22 AM »
Makes me wonder how we learned the keyboard controls when we first got a copy of the game. If you recall, my dad so happened to have a floppy disk on him when we were out at some family social event, and he essentially copied the files onto it so that we were able to install it later on our computer at home. Since we didn't have any game documentation or anything, I wondered how we learned the various keyboard controls for the game. Or maybe the game files included a readme file on the game? I don't recall.

I grew up with the Mac version, and although it did come with a manual, it didn't have any indication of the keyboard controls the Mac version has (Z and X for previous skill, P for pause, shift for fast-forward, alt for walker-only select). I think we just discovered these by chance while playing (P at least was easy to guess). I seem to remember that I have talked to someone else who played the Mac version (maybe finlay?) and he didn't know it had fast-forward until I told him :P

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 02:36:21 AM »
Good to have you on the Forums, Stretchie. Enjoy! :lemcat:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2020, 03:02:34 AM »
I completed it back then, but I never found how to access the Pyramid of the Forbidden until a bit later (though still a long time ago now).

I remember the underwater level which I couldn't figure out as a kid. The big green dopefish always got me. If I'm not mistaken, it's pretty much one of the last levels that you complete due to having to complete another level that requires you to get the swim gear. If that's the case, I wonder how we even were able to access the underwater level. I certainly don't ever recall seeing all of the levels as a kid. I also remember a level where a glass dome disappeared and reappeared at times and at the start of the level there is a moving platform. The last time I played the game was 13 years ago, and that was only my second time, so I'm not as familiar with it as you are.

I grew up with the Mac version, and although it did come with a manual, it didn't have any indication of the keyboard controls the Mac version has (Z and X for previous skill, P for pause, shift for fast-forward, alt for walker-only select). I think we just discovered these by chance while playing (P at least was easy to guess). I seem to remember that I have talked to someone else who played the Mac version (maybe finlay?) and he didn't know it had fast-forward until I told him :P

That's interesting. I'm guessing the only really useful info in it was how to install the game? I grew up with the Dos PC version of the game. I later owned a CD version that bundled both the original and ONML together. Here, I don't think there was a box cover, just a jewel CD case, as I certainly don't recall ever having access to a manual along with the CD. I might be remembering wrong about a box cover. This was the one that had the increased splat height, as well as a bug where it was possible to bash the wrong way with OWWs. I recall being able to do that with Crazy 10 (hence the level was much easier than intended and you didn't even need to send a lemming to the bottom of the level and only needed 1 worker lemming) and Wild 12. Speaking of which, I think they're the only levels in ONML with OWWs.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2020, 04:56:34 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, it's pretty much one of the last levels that you complete due to having to complete another level that requires you to get the swim gear. If that's the case, I wonder how we even were able to access the underwater level. I certainly don't ever recall seeing all of the levels as a kid. I also remember a level where a glass dome disappeared and reappeared at times and at the start of the level there is a moving platform.

The glass dome level is the very one where you get the swim gear, actually. And while players would often end up completing the underwater level close-to-last (and it is indeed one of the levels required to be completed in order to finish the game), it can be as early as the 4th level you play, after Border Village and Slug Village (both of which act as a physical barrier on the world map until completed - you can access The Perilous Pit after completing only Border Village, but aside from that you can't access any other levels until Slug Village is complete too) and Miragia (to get the swim gear).
My Lemmings projects

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2020, 05:10:56 AM »
The glass dome level is the very one where you get the swim gear, actually. And while players would often end up completing the underwater level close-to-last (and it is indeed one of the levels required to be completed in order to finish the game), it can be as early as the 4th level you play, after Border Village and Slug Village (both of which act as a physical barrier on the world map until completed - you can access The Perilous Pit after completing only Border Village, but aside from that you can't access any other levels until Slug Village is complete too) and Miragia (to get the swim gear).

Yea, you definitely know the game inside out. That might had been how we were able to access the underwater level so early back in the days then. I don't know what levels were completed prior to taking on the underwater level, but it couldn't had been most of the game completed, because I certainly only recall 3-5 levels at the time that I completed. When I revisited the game in the summer of 2007, the underwater level was the very last one I completed to finish the whole game. While that time was only the second time I have ever played the game, it was the very first time I actually completed the entire game.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2020, 09:03:23 AM »
It's very likely youngsters today were introduced to it by someone who grew up with the game, and would not had found out about it otherwise.
That's the case for me, my father told me about the game when I was quite young. :) I guess he didn't really grow up with the game, though, as he was 17 when it came out.
PS: I found my introduction thread, if any of you are curious about my story. :P It was quite strange for me to read it again. ;)