Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Editor V1.26 - Like V1.25 but with less bugs (and some new stuff)  (Read 5007 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
So, yeah, V1.25 was a bit of a bungle.

To hopefully avoid a repeat of this, I'm going to put V1.26 out as an experimental at first too.

Changes from V1.25 - included in released exp build:
- Implemented a "Paste in place" feature. Under the "Edit" menu, or press Ctrl+Shift+V.
- Fixed the bug where pickup skills were set to unassigned + single skill count when loading a level.
- Fixed the bug where No Overwrite, Erase and *not* One-Way Capable were ignored on instances of terrain groups.
- Fixed a rendering bug when pieces are grouped while in Clear Physics Mode.
- Implemented a clean fail when attempting to copy-paste a selection that includes terrain groups, between two different instances of the editor.
- Implemented autosave functionality. Default is "save every 5 minutes, keep up to 15 autosaves" but both are configurable, including possible to turn off altogether.
- Style / piece alias support has been implemented.
- Fixed a bug that occurs when multiple consecutive pieces in the piece selection list, are marked as deprecated, and "Show Deprecated Pieces" is turned off; resulting in the wrong piece being inserted into the level.

Known issues:
- Sketches can be added to groups. (Fixed in source code but not yet in a released build)
- Background is sometimes not rendered correctly after creating one level, saving it via File -> Save, then starting a new level via File -> New.
- If the first piece (in draw order) in a terrain group is erased, player versions V12.9.3 and earlier may reject the level as invalid. This is a player bug and is resolved in V12.9.4.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:14:26 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
well I can confirm the clean fail works fpr the pasting cos i misread your post and tried to do that but the good part is at least the error message is clear and it didnt keep appearing so id have to use task manager to close the editor down.

I shall test the other problems I had later

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It seems to save grouping with eraser pieces properly now.

Although, I still found another bug:

- Fixed the bug where pickup skills were set to unassigned when loading a level.

They are not unassigned anymore, but the skillcount is not saved. I created a test level with a blocker pick-up skill with 4 charges and after saving+reloading it was reverted back to 1

Edit: I rollled back to the 12.4 version and there the 4 count of the pick-up skill is displayed properly.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
I can confirm that paste-in-place works a treat! :thumbsup: It even works if you close the editor and then reopen it (as long as you haven't copied anything else to the clipboard in the meantime, obvs)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
I found a minor bug on editor. Not a major one though.
1) Hit F1(CPM on)

2) Drag at least 3 terrain pieces and group them

3) Hit F1(CPM off) and grouped piece still remain in CPM.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
I dont know if its a bug or more likely my computer but im making a competition level which has a lot of customised terrain (no custom styles just existing styles edited with erase function) and Im finding the editor to be super super laggy it keeps freezing and i have to wait at least 5 minutes.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I dont know if its a bug or more likely my computer but im making a competition level which has a lot of customised terrain (no custom styles just existing styles edited with erase function) and Im finding the editor to be super super laggy it keeps freezing and i have to wait at least 5 minutes.

Very likely to be your PC. While erase vs normal shouldn't make too much difference (No Overwrite is the one that will tend to cause lag), having a lot of pieces in general means the editor needs to do more work to render the level. This isn't so bad in NL itself because NL only renders the level's terrain once, then keeps the result. The editor can't do this because individual terrain pieces can be moved, as a whole, at any time (vs in game where, while pixels of the overall level's image can be modified, there's no need to care about individual pieces anymore once gameplay starts).

This in turn means that, on a weaker PC, it will take longer to render. Now it may be possible to improve the rendering speed somehow, but, this isn't a priority.

On my PC, if I open LPV Outrageous 15 "To Infinity, Beyond and Back!" in the editor - my largest level at 976x480, and probably the most pieces (though I haven't actually done a count for every level, just guessed) at 1568 terrains + 58 objects, I see very, very slight signs of lag - not to the point it would even be slightly frustrating to work with, but I can notice it's there. My PC is a high-end-for-its-time but slightly old now (2016 model) laptop. I will note that 1568 is extremely high for the number of terrain pieces - by comparison, two other levels i have that are somewhat comparable in terms of size, "Goodbye Galaxy" from LPIV and "The Lem Goldberg Contraption" from LPO2, both have under 600 pieces each. On these two levels I notice no lag at all.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
They are not unassigned anymore, but the skillcount is not saved. I created a test level with a blocker pick-up skill with 4 charges and after saving+reloading it was reverted back to 1

This is a bug in saving. Running Cleanse Levels before opening the level again will fix it. (Of course, I'll update the editor to fix this bug too, but as a temporary workaround.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Just uploaded an update - replaced the attachment in the first post. This newer version can be identified by that it says "EXPERIMENTAL Version 1.26-B" (rather than just 1.26) in the Help > About popup.

This fixes the bug with pickup skill counts - note that the bug is with SAVING, so existing levels will still be broken when loading them. However, running them through Cleanse Levels should fix them, at which point they'll open fine - and newly-saved levels will not be bugged.

It also fixes the graphical bug Armani noted with grouping pieces while in clear physics mode.

There is no autosave functionality yet, though I do want to get this in place before a stable release.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:14:57 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Due to a grouping-related bug in the player, there will be no stable editor release that includes grouping until NeoLemmix V12.10 is released. I will continue to release experimental builds.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Uploaded an update that has the autosave feature. It is not possible to turn this feature off yet, so I've left the previous version up too - there's no other difference between the two.

There is currently no feature to auto-delete old autosave files. You may wish to clear them out yourself from time to time. I'll look at a feature to do this eventually.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
When I'm back from my vacation I plan to give this new version another try. I am hopeful though that no more serious bugs are present.

I still want to encourage more people to give it another test.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
ok I suspect this one is my computer but i thought id report it just in case.  After I finish a level and save and select new when im in the new level I cannot select backgrounds i have to exit the editor and relaunch it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
ok I suspect this one is my computer but i thought id report it just in case.  After I finish a level and save and select new when im in the new level I cannot select backgrounds i have to exit the editor and relaunch it.

I cannot reproduce this. Can you give more detail? In particular:

1. Is there any specific thing you do beforehand that the bug only occurs in response to? Or only certain levels that it happens on? Etc? (If you're not sure, that's fine - but if there is anything you've noticed, please mention it.)
2. "Cannot select" is vague. What exactly prevents you from being able to select a background? Does the editor crash when you click the "Backgrounds" button - or not crash, but ignore the click? Can you bring up the list of backgrounds but nothing happens when you click one? Etc?
My Lemmings projects

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
1. not sure but only notice it after ive saved a level and started a new one
2. simply nothing happens I click on a background but nothing happens.

I did notice it more when i was doing my landmark levels which are large in size as you know.  I havent reached a style yet that has backgrounds  so I haven't being able to check if it happens in a more normal level but I'll check if it happens then.  I think its possible my laptop is just struggling with it at the moment.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
ok I just checked it by selecting the clockwork background adding 3 bits of terrain then saving and starting a new level and it worked fine so I think it must be related to how my laptop handles the levels with a lot of erase/groups.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Uploaded experimental editor V1.26-D. This includes the full implementation of autosave (ie: you can now configure the timing or turn it off altogether, and old autosaves can be auto-deleted). It also finally includes alias support, meaning one less situation in which Cleanse Levels is necessary to get a level to open in the editor. That aside, it fixes a couple of other minor bugs. Attached to first post.

@mantha16: This might fix your background bug too. Not sure. I did find a case where backgrounds weren't displaying correctly (though they would still ultimately be saved correctly in the level file, it was purely a visual bug); it's very unrelated to the circumstances you've described but still could possibly make a difference.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Discord message from Armani:

I think I found a bug relating to grouping.

I can group sketch pieces and grouped piece is recognized as a destructible terrain.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Uploaded experimental editor V1.26-D. This includes the full implementation of autosave (ie: you can now configure the timing or turn it off altogether, and old autosaves can be auto-deleted). It also finally includes alias support, meaning one less situation in which Cleanse Levels is necessary to get a level to open in the editor.

Exciting stuff! Does this mean it's possible to rename pieces without breaking levels?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Uploaded experimental editor V1.26-D. This includes the full implementation of autosave (ie: you can now configure the timing or turn it off altogether, and old autosaves can be auto-deleted). It also finally includes alias support, meaning one less situation in which Cleanse Levels is necessary to get a level to open in the editor.

Exciting stuff! Does this mean it's possible to rename pieces without breaking levels?

It always was, it just wasn't previously supported by the editor (so you'd have to run affected levels through Cleanse to get the editor to be able to open them - now the editor can handle them directly).
My Lemmings projects