Author Topic: Replay Tweaker: Add insert mode, what else?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Replay Tweaker: Add insert mode, what else?
« on: June 21, 2020, 10:46:09 PM »
Hi,

Proxima has submitted to Level Design Contest #20: Thirteen Little Skills. This is a disjoint union (= the level is separated into several independent areas) and thus would profit from better tooling in Lix. We want to focus on one area without worrying about lix dying in other areas.

Lix has the replay tweaker (film-strip button in the panel during play) to move or delete assignments without cutting the replay.

The main missing functionality is insert: When you click to assign, instead of first cutting all future assignments, the new assignment will be inserted without cutting anything from the replay. I would like to offer this in the replay tweaker as a mode: The default is cut-then-append (= normal behavior of most Lemmings-like games with interruptable action replay), and the second mode is insert-without-cutting (= what NeoLemmix shows with blue letter R in the panel).

What else should the replay tweaker offer?

I'm still busy with undo in the editor, undo is a mammoth feature to make nice. Afterwards, I'm considering either buffing the replay tweaker, or make a dedicated end-of-level screen that offers next levels.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 10:52:36 PM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Replay Tweaker: Add insert mode, what else?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 05:11:02 AM »
NeoLemmix's replay editing capabilities are pretty much limited to insert mode and deleting actions. Aside from an oddity that's more to do with Cloner physics than anything else, there hasn't been much demand for changes / additions. Thus, I'd consider those two things - one of which you already have - to be the most important.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Replay Tweaker: Add insert mode, what else?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 07:18:39 PM »
Thanks!

Right, that's my hunch, too: Insertion is most important to add. Together with deletion that doesn't cut, it allows many results reasonably quickly already.

We'll see what ideas appear in the future. The tweaker is still young and you haven't gotten substantial change requests yet, either.

-- Simon