Author Topic: Brave web browser: Logo spam problem  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Brave web browser: Logo spam problem
« on: July 26, 2020, 08:09:14 PM »
Hi everyone. Something weird has appeared on the forum while browsing with Brave, the web browser I'm now starting to use regularly for my laptop after giving up Mozilla Firefox.

Not sure why the proper images for "No New Posts" are not appearing, but these logos certainly have no place on this forum. Does anyone who use Brave know how this happened, and possibly, how to fix it?

Enjoy the brand new "Lemmings forum". :sick:
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Brave web browser: Logo spam problem
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »
Wow, never used Brave, but I haven't seen those logos either. I doubt they're even on the Lemmings Forum's servers.

According to Brave, what is the URL of that logo? E.g., right click the logo, view only that image. Does it show only the logo, or does it show correctly the lemming icon?

The first hunch is that this is a caching oddity in Brave due to a common image filename, but that would be an elementary bug, I doubt it. Still: Have you visited a forum about the soccer club AVFC?

-- Simon
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:47:48 PM by Simon »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 05:18:14 AM »
So, I've done as requested and it's still showing that logo.

The url is https://www.lemmingsforums.net/Themes/default/images/off.png

I did use "Aston Villa" and "2019-20 premier league" as my searches. Because the latter search brings up image logos, I wonder if the latter's picked up data of one of these logos to be virally transferred.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 06:05:32 AM »
The URL is of the desaturated lemming head, right, and shouldn't show the logo for you.

Force a cache-free reload: Press Ctrl+F5 while viewing the homepage. If still wrong, view the logo itself again and press Ctrl+F5. If still wrong, repeat both steps with Ctrl+Shift+R instead of Ctrl+F5. Any successes?

(According to fixed Brave bug #10256, Ctrl+F5 is the chord to force cache-free reloading.)

-- Simon
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 06:13:45 AM by Simon »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »
Pressed Ctrl+F5 on the main page and now it works! :thumbsup: Thanks for your help!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 05:12:28 PM »
All right, great. Thanks for the quick feedback!

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 12:05:10 AM »
out of curiosity why did you give up Firefox? And what does Brave offer that is better?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 06:39:32 AM »
On some websites, (Like Youtube and Fandom, particularly the Sonic wiki) Firefox (including the 64-bit version) kept crashing because it was so busy trying to block adverts. With so much content that needed loading every time I wanted to start reading an Article, Firefox really struggled to keep up with these consistent demands. The other problem included an occasional black webpage particularly when trying to scroll the page.

My dad suggested Brave for a different web browser, and apart from that now fixed glitch it's worked pretty well so far for me.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 06:50:05 AM »
May I suggest the addon ublock origin for Firefox? It's just like Adblock Plus, only better and it's also super easy on the CPU usage too! It's been working really well for me in blocking off ads and stuff. Also, I'm guessing you're using Quantum Firefox?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »
May I suggest the addon ublock origin for Firefox? It's just like Adblock Plus, only better and it's also super easy on the CPU usage too! It's been working really well for me in blocking off ads and stuff.

Could do. My dad also recommended Ublock to go with Brave, so I installed that on it already. That might be the reason why Brave is doing well. For now, I've set my default browser to Brave, but I could go back. Those quick-press hotkeys do come in handy for Firefox users.

Quote from: kaywhyn
Also, I'm guessing you're using Quantum Firefox?

Don't know. :-\ I've no idea how to tell if I'm using Quantum Firefox. The about page has no evidence of "Quantum" AFAIK. I think it's ordinary Firefox.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 11:36:15 AM »
IIRC Quantum Firefox is just a name that was being used for a major update that made several changes that rendered several older extensions unusable. If you've been keeping things up-to-date (which, probably, it auto-updates by default) you likely already have it.

I run Firefox with ublock origin without any issues.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 01:16:09 PM »

Could do. My dad also recommended Ublock to go with Brave, so I installed that on it already. That might be the reason why Brave is doing well. For now, I've set my default browser to Brave, but I could go back. Those quick-press hotkeys do come in handy for Firefox users.

Works swell with Firefox. Even Dullstar attests to it.

Don't know. :-\ I've no idea how to tell if I'm using Quantum Firefox. The about page has no evidence of "Quantum" AFAIK. I think it's ordinary Firefox.

IIRC Quantum Firefox is just a name that was being used for a major update that made several changes that rendered several older extensions unusable. If you've been keeping things up-to-date (which, probably, it auto-updates by default) you likely already have it.

You are correct. Quantum is pretty much a codename for Firefox 57, and so you pretty much have Quantum if you have version 57 or after. Unless you decided to use ESR which allows you to keep using the legacy add-ons.

For the record, I've been a Firefox user for almost 20 years. I know there are other browsers like Chrome out there, but the only reason I haven't really switched to another browser is just how I've been a Firefox user for so long that I refuse to switch. However, the major gripe I have with the more recent Firefox versions is how there's no longer a down arrow to click on in the address bar. I'm not happy about that, but I've managed to tweak a couple of settings so that clicking in the address bar will at least give a drop-down menu, which is pretty much the closest you can get to the equivalent of a down arrow in the address bar. Without doing so, you'll have to press the down arrow key on your keyboard, which I admit is super annoying to do, since you first have to click on it with the mouse and then switch to pressing a key on the keyboard. Hence why I made it so that clicking in the address bar will provide a drop-down instead.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 06:03:34 AM »
you first have to click on it [address bar in Firefox] with the mouse and then switch to pressing a key on the keyboard. Hence why I made it so that clicking in the address bar will provide a drop-down instead.

Mouse-free: Ctrl+T, type parts of URL/title, then down/up arrow.

If it shall be opened in current tab instead of new tab: F6 instead of Ctrl+T.

You found a method for pure mouse instead of pure keyboard; pure mouse seems nasty once the dropdown list gets ultra-long. Interesting that it suffices for you.

-- Simon

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 06:37:49 AM »
I configured the settings so that clicking the address bar with the mouse will automatically open the drop down menu with my top visited sites. That means no need to press the down arrow key. This is the closest that one can get with the down arrow present when mousing over the address bar, at least in the latest versions. I don't care too much for the Ctrl+T for tabs, since I have always used the mouse to click on the plus button to open new tabs.