Author Topic: [SUG][STYLE UPDATE] Merge rather than overwrite when updating styles  (Read 1080 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Minim posted that updating to 12.6.3 reverted his copy of Redux to a previous edit, thus overwriting his work.

Reading this post reminded me of a similar thing that happened to me recently when I lost a bunch of custom terrain pieces via a style manager update. Luckily, I had them backed up so I just replaced them and thought nothing of it.

However, as a failsafe, could the manager to be made to merge rather than overwrite, so that folders containing new pieces or even newer versions of pieces that a creator is working on are preserved in the update?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][STYLE UPDATE] Merge rather than overwrite when updating styles
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 05:06:01 AM »
This is an edge case, and probably best not to download a style you're working on from the style manager anyway. I should look at an option to specifically "unregister" a style from it (ie: even if it was downloaded, flag it as "manually installed" after which it would be treated as if it were, well, manually installed), perhaps even an option to outright lock a style so the style manager refuses to touch it.

Wiping the existing copy is important, in case pieces have been removed (presumably accompanied by a suitable alias entry) or in other ways have dangling files left over. Specifically removing only the files that have been removed would then mean that a full history of the earlier files in each style needs to be generated, and updated each time the style is - this would get very complicated.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 06:41:57 AM »
Suggested workarounds assuming I'm understanding the problem correctly:

For style designers: one possible solution could be to have a dev copy of the style that is not managed by the style manager, and a stable version that is. Unfortunately, this would be treated as a completely separate style by NL, which is a bit inconvenient, but fortunately swapping out the style is a modification that's easy to make using a find and replace operation as long as all the pieces have the same names.

For custom pieces for existing styles: these should either be submitted to the style maintainer for addition, or kept in supplemental styles. Don't add non-standard pieces to existing styles, as it causes dependencies to become murky, as you wouldn't, for instance, be able to easily tell if a piece was modded in, or if it's part of the standard version of the style.

For maintaining the style manager: I imagine there's already guidelines in place about this, but in most cases I'd say styles with breaking changes should be outright rejected, essentially forcing the new version to be submitted as an entirely new style, with some way of marking the old style as deprecated (I believe it's possible to mark pieces as deprecated already, isn't it? But I'm not entirely sure what effect it has assuming I'm not wrong about it being possible).

I am not taking a position on long-term things that should be done by NL itself at this time.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:18:38 AM »
For style designers: one possible solution could be to have a dev copy of the style that is not managed by the style manager, and a stable version that is. Unfortunately, this would be treated as a completely separate style by NL, which is a bit inconvenient, but fortunately swapping out the style is a modification that's easy to make using a find and replace operation as long as all the pieces have the same names.

Or use Git. :)

For custom pieces for existing styles: these should either be submitted to the style maintainer for addition, or kept in supplemental styles. Don't add non-standard pieces to existing styles, as it causes dependencies to become murky, as you wouldn't, for instance, be able to easily tell if a piece was modded in, or if it's part of the standard version of the style.

This is already the existing advice - that people should not add to the official styles, or other people's styles, unless it's done in coordination with the author. This is taken a step further in that if someone were to try and submit an unauthorized modification to someone else's (or an official) style, it would not be accepted into NL's styles downloads.

For maintaining the style manager: I imagine there's already guidelines in place about this, but in most cases I'd say styles with breaking changes should be outright rejected, essentially forcing the new version to be submitted as an entirely new style, with some way of marking the old style as deprecated (I believe it's possible to mark pieces as deprecated already, isn't it? But I'm not entirely sure what effect it has assuming I'm not wrong about it being possible).

Compatibility etc is the responsibility of the style's maintainer, ultimately. If it were to become a problem, I may reconsider this. I'll usually only consider rejecting updates / changes to one's OWN styles if they've ignored a blatant "don't do this" direction (such as when one user tried to submit a bunch of new custom pickup skills during the time when I stated that the "don't do this" advice would be treated as an outright rule - to be clear, this is no longer the case and custom pickup skills are no longer prohibited or even discouraged, as there is now a proper system in place to ensure they don't break every time a new skill is added); or if they had a lot of existing stuff that was broken due to failure to keep it updated, they had not chosen to withdraw it, but at the same time were submitting a lot of entirely new stuff.

NeoLemmix has two relevant features here. The first is the "alias" system - this allows a style to specify that certain pieces, or entire styles, should be remapped to others. For example, namida_circuit had two pieces that were exact duplicates of each other since the very early days - one was meant to be horizontally flipped, but due to an oversight was not. To avoid breaking existing content both were kept for ages; but the alias system meant that the duplicate could be deleted and instead remapped towards the other one. The editor does not currently support the alias feature; but if a level is run through Cleanse Levels, the output will have the remap hardcoded into it (and thus be possible to open).

The other is the "deprecated" flag. Pieces with this flag will, by default, not show up in the editor (though there is a "Show deprecated pieces" option under the View menu). Aside from this, they work as normal - and in particular the flag has no effect in-game.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:22:19 PM »

Thinking about it, there's no reason creators couldn't simply have a second copy of NeoLemmix with only their styles & levels that they're currently working on. That way, once finished they can just copy everything over to their main NL. It could get a bit messy keeping track of things, sure, but at least there's no chance of content being inadvertently overwritten.