Author Topic: Your favourite books  (Read 7563 times)

drumnbach

Your favourite books
« on: June 24, 2005, 03:20:41 PM »
What are some of your favourite books?

I have just finished being blown away by Herman Melville's Moby Dick. I started reading another book yesterday (Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami) and it just felt so weak. I was tempted to just read Moby Dick again, but I'll press on with Haruki for now.

Andi

Re: Your favourite books
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 09:56:09 AM »
I bought two of the Hellsing Mangas, but they are really weird... xD

I think I'll buy another Manga with less action soon.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 04:28:52 PM »
Hrm...I've read a lot of books.  I can't really say I have a favorite.

Check that - Robin Hood is probably the best book I've read.  Why?  I really don't know.  It's just a good book.

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 01:37:47 PM »
[-INSERT WHAT Timballisto SAID HERE-]

I actually have a few more favorites though. they change alot. currently robin hood is...second, and The Kitchen Boy is first.
The kitchen boy is about the last romanovs imprisonment, escape attempts, and eventually their death in the basement of the Ipatiev house in Yekaterinburg,
Syria. Es ist toll!

Conway

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 02:41:07 PM »
I have to admit, I don't really read many books. The last one I read in its entirety is probably Valis by Philip Dick. It's quite an interesting one.

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 05:03:48 PM »
I have a lot of favorites, actually...

The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, The Witches of Karres by James Schmitz, most of the Dragonriders of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey, most of the Forgotten Realms books and Vector Prime by R.A. Salvatore, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy [and the rest] by Douglas Adams, all the books set in or around Valdemar [especially the Last Herald-Mage trilogy] by Mercedes Lackey, the Solar Queen series by Andre Norton, the Trade Pact Universe trilogy by Julie Czerneda, the Young Wizards series [except one...] by Diane Duane, the Spacecops trilogy by Diane Duane and Peter Morwood, Sassinak by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Moon, Watership Down by [... I forgot], and The Hounds of the Morrigan [... same story].
Well, that's all that I can think of at the moment, anyhow.

Of course, I also read lots of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Sonic the Hedgehog comics, but those aren't really 'books' per say. :P

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 05:13:48 PM »
If I read anything, It's usually a magazine. I haven't sat down and read a book from cover to cover for a long time

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 03:09:48 AM »
Quote from: Lemika  link=1119626441/0#5 date=1120583028
I have a lot of favorites, actually...

The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, The Witches of Karres by James Schmitz, most of the Dragonriders of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey, most of the Forgotten Realms books and Vector Prime by R.A. Salvatore, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy [and the rest] by Douglas Adams, all the books set in or around Valdemar [especially the Last Herald-Mage trilogy] by Mercedes Lackey, the Solar Queen series by Andre Norton, the Trade Pact Universe trilogy by Julie Czerneda, the Young Wizards series [except one...] by Diane Duane, the Spacecops trilogy by Diane Duane and Peter Morwood, Sassinak by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Moon, Watership Down by [... I forgot], and The Hounds of the Morrigan [... same story].
Well, that's all that I can think of at the moment, anyhow.

Of course, I also read lots of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Sonic the Hedgehog comics, but those aren't really 'books' per say. :P

So you've read the Silmarillion? that is what I would call an accomplishment. i could read it if i wanted to but in my opinion, it is just so mindnumbingly  boring that when I tried to read it, I stopped and quit about halfway through.

-hitchHikers guide to the galaxy, Do you mean that book with all the starwars language translations in it? that didn't seem like the type of book you read cover to cover to me so I went through the languages reading some of it as I went but really, i just like the part at the back, and the translations. the part at the back is when that guy tells about how he got the sounds for starwars.

drumnbach

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 06:12:25 PM »
dumblemb, you're almost certainly talking about a different book from Hitchhikers Guide. Hitchhikers Guide is a light-hearted science fiction novel, whose fan-base ranks in the millions.

G3K

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 03:45:14 PM »
I've got some manga if that counts. ;P

Anyway, yeah, I've got Vol. 1 of Yotsuba&!, Vol. 1 of .hack//Legends, Vol. 1 of Full Metal Panic!, Vols. 1-2 of Azumanga Daioh and Vols. 1-3 of Love Hina.

Proper books-wise... I liked the Red Dwarf novels. Yeah. XD

Lemeri

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 04:05:05 PM »
Most recently I finished reading the ten books of The Wheel of Time that are written. Book eleven should come out in a couple months. I've also read many of the Forgotten Realms books.  And yes, I read the Lord of the Rings too.

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 11:34:20 PM »
Lord of the rings books are cool, Excepting the Silmarillion, I don't know what it is about that book but I find it extremely boring.

-Two good books that dragonslover should read:
Eragon
Eldest

Both in the same series, these books are about a power struggle between a rebel group named the Varden and the empire.

[size=14]-If you are going to read the book and you would not like to know what happens in the book Eragon, do not read the last paragraph of this post-[/size]

This book is focused on dragons more than most anything else excepting Eragon trying to stay alive. This book starts out just like starwars! It starts with Eragon(Luke) living in the middle of nowhere in a remote village as a farmer with his uncle and his cousin. Set in a medieval type place, Eragon seemingly has sharper reflexes and other things than the other townspeople to a hardly noticeable degree but one that sets him aside from the rest of them. He finds a blue stone and takes it home. He is almost attacked by... things, in black robes but he's saved by the town story teller who Eragon thinks is a little wierd :Brom(Obi-Wan). After a small period of time, Eragon returns home to find his Uncle dead and his farm burnt down and destroyed. He realizes very quickly that it was the black hooded people who did it (coincidentally, they work for the empire and were after something of his) -Yes, important detail left out-The blue stone was a dragon egg. He leaves with his Dragon to gain revenge on the Ra'zac as the hooded "people" are called with Brom(Obi-Wan).
-He later rescues a princess from a gigantic fortress type thing and it also turns out that Brom used to be a dragon rider and he fought in a war against the forsworn(evil dragon riders=Darth vader and sithlords=Galbatorix, empire's king, also a dragon rider)Also, he figures out that he is the son of one of the forsworn and his mom put him in the farm village to protect him from the Forsworn.

Jazzem

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 11:36:25 PM »
I can't say I'm a book worm myself, I can get very lazy and I abandon them easily. I have a soft spot for Brian Jacques' Redwall books. I'm also a manga fan-Fruits Basket, .hack.// and D.N. Angel being current favourites :)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 04:03:21 AM »
Redwall eh?  Well I used to read those.  I read all of them in a year.  They were good, but they got to seem a bit too similar to each other:  Random huge army attacks.  Random quest.  Random victory.  Go figure.

They weren't all like that, but if I remember correctly most were.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 01:00:51 AM »
Redwall is a good series but would you agree with me that the plots get reused too often and are recycled except with a different warlord? Some interesting Redwall books are that one, outcast of redwall or something like that, Mossflower, Luke the warrior, and that one with Ungatt Trunnin it. Those have some extremely original plotlines for redwall books. Also, I finally figured out what that hitchhikers guide to the galaxy book is, I asked a friend a question about books and his response was, "yeah, I love books." while a glimmer of hope started in me that he might have that book, he said "Books are fun to burn. I burn 'em all the time."... :-? I asked him about Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and he said he had burnt it about a day ago...Darn. He's funny that way sometimes, which i'm sure someone will think is odd.  8-)

Dragonslover, Have you started searching for the books Eragon and Eldest  yet? Did you read my other post that said that? They're books about dragons. The dragons are the highest ranking..things in society everywhere. Also, they're in the same series.

Sidenote-Go to the posting box, and look at the text tools. Bold, Italics, Underline, Dash-through -words, and Highlight are lined up to spell Blush. Andi, did you do that on purpose and wait for someone to figure it out?