Author Topic: Angry Lemmings (easy to medium)  (Read 8765 times)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: eric's lemmings pack
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 06:56:37 AM »
I think maybe something is wrong with your neolemmix directory. I just made a new directory. installed a new fresh 12.9.2 neolemmix player in it then extracted this pack into that new directory. started game. level 4 and 21 has no problems. try installing a new fresh neolemmix player and extract this pack into that directory. it should work. only thing is when you get to levels with non-default styles it will ask you if you want to add them, just say yes. level 4 has 10 swimmers and 10 jumpers.
also Namida has played my first 15 and he would have mentioned a problem in level 4 if there were one. so just install a new neolemmix player directory. also level 21 every icon has a number. I played the level also checked and played both level 4 and 21 in the editor with this new extraction. both levels are correct.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:33:02 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline messedupface

• View Profile
Re: eric's 1st trial pack for neolemmix
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 07:02:21 AM »
Ahh, that`s probably it, I haven`t updated neolemmix. Thank you

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 02:26:30 AM »
Done with the Tricky levels now on to the Taxing

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 05:53:59 AM »
Just a suggestion - when you do release updates to the pack, edit the first post rather than putting them in a reply (but, still reply too to say "there's an update" - just put the download, itself, in the first post - or in both). It makes the download easier to find, especially for newcomers to the topic.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 07:04:47 AM »
Man a  few of the tricky levels when I tried to retry them, I forgot how to solve a few. but now I have the replays. I'm afraid the taxing ones I might forget how to solve so I might have to do 10 at a time. the first 2 taxing ones I can tell already are much harder than anything in Fun or Tricky. (of course I'm Not the greatest puzzle solver).

It would be cool if when using the editor to make levels, it would save a replay for a particular level so when you go put all levels in a pack you would have the replays already. I don't know if it would be possible to have this in the editor. I only think this would be cool because I forget how to solve some levels especially more difficult ones and when there is a whole pack it's easy for me to forget the solutions on the harder levels.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:30:45 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 06:42:01 PM »
Unless you've turned it off, NeoLemmix does auto-save a replay whenever you successfully complete a level. This is a property of the game, not the editor.

When doing testplay mode from the editor, the replays will be saved in Replays -> Auto, with the level's title + the timestamp as the filename. When playing a level in NL, the replays will be saved in Replays -> [Pack name] -> Auto; the filename may either be the rank and level number + timestamp (if the level is in a group where the levels are specifically ordered), or the title + timestamp (if not).

If you have turned this off, or it just appears to not be happening, check the NeoLemmix options menu. (Note that while you CAN open the options menu at the preview / postview screens in test play mode, any changes only apply until you exit testplay mode. If you want to change it permamently, you need to launch NeoLemmix standalone, change it there, then exit.)

General advice: As soon as you make a single level, save a replay for it. Of course you aren't forced to do this, but it's a process that most (if not all) of the regular content creators follow, for good reason. Keep these replays somewhere safe - not inside your Replay folder where they are very prone to getting mixed up with other various replays, or possibly cleared out periodically. Personally, I keep my levels and their replays in a Git repo, but this could be a bit more advanced than some people feel comfortable with - just keeping a copy in a seperate folder (preferably one backed up to a cloud backup service, to reduce the risk of losing your levels if your PC dies) should be good enough for most.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 07:26:32 PM »
ok awesome when the level is to the point of being solved just to save hit 'U' to save the replay. it works in the editor. I think thats great will save me lots of time. thanks

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2020, 07:44:04 PM »
ok awesome when the level is to the point of being solved just to save hit 'U' to save the replay. it works in the editor. I think thats great will save me lots of time. thanks

You shouldn't even need to do that. When you complete the level (and reach the preview screen, with enough lemmings saved), a replay should save automatically.

Okay, so, played the rest of your Fun update.

Feedback (click to show/hide)

Overall - I think that what I said before still stands. You've got some work to do here, but you definitely have good potential too. And don't take this criticism too harshly - most of the highly-experienced level creators agree that creating good easy levels is actually really hard to do; it's much easier to create a good hard level, and in some ways I see that reflected here - most of your best levels are also the ones that are a bit hard for their position. This is certianly a very decent pack (so far) by the standards of people's typical first packs, especially if you've only ever played the original games and not looked at custom content much prior to this.

EDIT: I forgot to attach replays before. Fixed that now.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:24:12 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2020, 10:00:47 PM »
Thx for the Input.
17 I changed the lemming count to just 10 lemmings-at least the level took me only 2 1/2 mins
20 I will remove 1 builder

Note: I didnt like that solution for 22 so
22 I put 2 steel blocks to the right of deadly flower so one can bash to the right. also made barrier left of exit steel so can't be bashed.
and
put a small single steel block on left left shimmy rod so if one shimmies to the right there he will fall before relanding near dog
23 I changed the name to Not such a Lemming feeling instead of T marks the spot.
yeah your right I moved the start position to show the entrance. also decrease lemming count to 10 so not as much lingering of lemmings.
24 I resized the level so now looks better- also removed that lemming at the right top that has no function- I just thought maybe newbies would think there was a way to save him.
25 and 26 put steel underneath so one could not get to buttom level by not intended routes.

Note: didnt like that solution either for 27 so put a steel barrier left of car so cant go right there.
27 decreased lemming count from 30 to 15
28 Yes ok, I will replace this level with an entire new one
29 added a few small steel spots so fencer can't fence in those spots to get to lower level early
30 decreased lemming count from 30 to 12

I know even experienced level makers have to keep updating backroutes(sometimes it takes players to tell the makers backroutes) so I appreciate this. I try my best but sometimes there is so much other things going on in the levels, sometimes the obvious is not so obvious

and I know even the lemmings games had some bad levels like you said (ie hunt the nessy, but since this is supposed to mimic those at least in a small way some levels like 16 are hard to get away from)
yes and your right FUN levels are not so easy, plus they tend to be boring. and of course I'm not a great artist either in making maps(my first time)

But I do really appreciate critisizm. thats how one becomes better at making levels.

Great thanks for your replays so I can see spots to fix

levels 22 25 26 27 29 hated your replays so see above fixes I made  for those levels and resend those level replays

level 25 and 26 I already figured those ones had major issues. again I made these kinda late so was tired. see above fixes for 25 and 26

your other level replays are good.

thx Namida. when I finish this pack Hopefully your do the same with my other ranks levels
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:32:32 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
erics FUN and Tricky levels
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 12:50:36 AM »
Hi here are my Fun and Tricky levels
still have to replace Fun 28 with a new level so Namida ignore that one.

Namida please Play these and send replays so I can fix the Tricky ones.

I fixed some issues in the Fun ranks

-Mod edit: Changelog in the post above.-

UPDATE: there was one missing music track please replace with this one

UPDATE: Replaced FUN level 22 with a new one as the original was Namida and Kahwyn thought it shouldn't be in the FUN rank
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:00:02 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Replacement for eric's fun 28 (If only they could survive)
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2020, 03:06:02 AM »
Here is the replacement level for fun 28(If only they could survive). just overwrite the one that's there with this one.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: erics FUN and Tricky levels
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 05:36:34 AM »
had changes in Tricky levels

Level 6 had to add a few spots of steel so miner couldn't mine to below area and removed 2 miners.

level 10 had to do minor terrain fixes and subtract 2 jumpers and lowered pickup stacker count from 8 to 4 to prevent a backroute.

level 11 had to add a bouncing ball trap in spot past high on wall so floater couldnt float down before platforming there. made
             it so he had to use swimmer and shimmier and use 2 more stackers (backroute fix).

level 25 made a backroute fix. removed 1 blocker and 1 platformer but added a walker. thus making save requirement 40 of 40 instead of 39. also just widened level a tad so right most edge of screen one can see the whole rightmost conveyor belts.

Please update to this one. thx

NOTE: to have correct music download old version which includes music (2 posts up then update the levels with this one)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:21:33 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »
As I mentioned before - I strongly suggest making sure the original post of the topic has a download of the latest version - in full, not "add this to a previous version from a later post".

It's not a bad idea though to split this into two downloads - a music download, and an "everything else" download.

I've had another look at the levels, but so far haven't managed to solve the new version of Fun 22. It's definitely way too hard for Fun now (unless I'm overlooking something obvious, which to be fair, is very possible knowing me). Note that this doesn't in any way mean it's a bad level; just that it's too hard for its position in the level order. Keep it - just move it to later in the pack. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 07:42:37 PM »
really, I thought it was easy, I could make it feast of a levelII(mayhem) but it's too easy for that one. if You need a hint or replay let me know.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 08:04:38 PM »
Don't think too hard on this one. As a matter of fact, I found two different solutions for Fun 22, both of which aren't difficult. However, I do agree that it's difficult for its position, so consider moving it further down the rank.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:17:22 PM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0