Author Topic: Angry Lemmings (easy to medium)  (Read 8764 times)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Angry Lemmings (easy to medium)
« on: June 19, 2020, 09:27:59 AM »
I figured I would give a try to make my first neolemmix levels(15 in small pack). These levels are not too hard. most levels have pickup skills. I'm not a very good artist either. I made the maps myself, didn't use any from conversions.
I might when I have time adding to the pack.

just extract to the levels and music to main neolemmix directory. Some of the styles that I picked are by default not in there so when getting to a level with missing styles, it will ask you to download the missing ones, just say yes.

It's only 15 levels but for me that's saying something since I just figured I give it a try. And I tested them they all work. I even gave the replays.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 08:57:08 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: eric's 1st trial pack for neolemmix
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »
It's good practice to make the ZIP (or 7z, in this case) file so that it can be extracted directly to the NeoLemmix directory and everything falls into place. Also, the Lomax track you tried to include with the music, is in fact just a shortcut to a track, which won't work on anyone else's PC.

"15 level pack" also isn't very descriptive, I suggest giving it a better name - "Ericderkovits's 15 level pack" (or some variation thereof) would be fine.

Regarding the individual levels - note that I'm writing this as I go, not writing it all in hindsight once I've finished.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also - as a general piece of feedback, time limits are best avoided unless there's specifically a good reason to have them. For examples from the official games - well, you could look at where Redux has vs hasn't chosen to keep them, but in general, levels like "Just A Minute" are ones where it's justified (the time limit is the challenge), whereas ones like "Save Me" are ones where it isn't (all the time limit does is add frustration and/or a requirement to RR99 and release the crowd early).

Overall - these levels are for the most part pretty easy, and while some of them are near self-solving (by this I mean things like "you have 5 gaps and 5 builders, assign a builder as you come to each gap"), there's a few that are interesting puzzles. Definitely keep trying - there's potential here!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »
ok, thanks for the suggestions and review. I'm new at this. Ok so the pickup skills can be on top of each other-ie (instead of 5 single consective builders one can have 5 on top of each other-thx. I Made these levels quick kinda late at night. didn't put too much thought into them. I know some are extremely easy but like you said it starts off as tutorials. also I wanted to use the new skills. The last one you said was long. Yes I agree but it was like 2:30 in the morning so I was tired I just wanted to get the 15th in. Next time I will try not too use pickup skills- since from this point on they are not really tutorials although still in the fun rank.
As far as the lomax tune Yes I see that I will correct. and repost pack. Like I said it was late, and I was tired so these were kinda rushed. but  thx.

Also the more I try doing the levels maybe I won't overthink too much like you said the 2nd level only gliders can survive this was although not hard maybe was for a tuturial level.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 06:21:48 PM »

when you assign the pick up skill in the editor you'll see where it says skill count, just change that to how many you want to give

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 06:25:46 PM »
ok, thx mantha16 this is the first time I've made any levels

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »
I edited my post to show where I meant cos I'm not always good at explaining what I mean

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 06:28:15 PM »
yes i unstood even before your edit

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 06:33:18 PM »
ok good cos sometimes i know it makes sense in my head but i dont always use the right terminology like yesterday i referred to the bottom taskbar as the thing where all the stuff im doing is.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 06:57:42 PM »
level one - I liked the puzzle even though the button caught me out lol.

I would say I agree about the name of the level also, if you go to the pieces tab when you have a piece of terrain selected you will see the draw first draw later etc buttons play with those cos that can help hide hard edges like you have on the right so it looks more like one piece

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 07:28:40 PM »
Next time I will try not too use pickup skills

There's nothign wrong with using them. All I was saying is - if you need to give the player several of a skill, you can put a single pickup skill object that does this, rather than multiple.

It's up to you if you actually do so - it might even depend on the individual level. As long as it's clearly visible to the player how many skills they'll get (eg: don't overlay 5 singles directly on top of each other so that it looks like just one - either use the Skill Count so it actually displays "5", or else place them so it's clearly visible there's 5 of them), either way is ultimately fine - I'm simply making sure you know the option is there. :) That in general is the key thing with NeoLemmix - the golden rule is that what's what in the level should be as clear to the player as practical. (And to be clear, there weren't any levels in your pack where I didn't feel this was the case. I'm simply stating it in general.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 11:12:24 PM »
remember these are the beginning stages of fun. when I leave fun I will get them a littlier trickier but only to fit the rank. also since this was in fun that is why I started with pickups, as I go along they will be used a little less frequently, but that doesnt mean I will abandon just fun is supposed to be easy. at least there better than ohno tame levels. those shouldnt have been in the pack. Most people find those insulting.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 05:12:13 PM »
slowly working on more levels-made another 5 last night will do more today. once i get done with fun I will repost. then i will do a whole rank (30 levels in tricky) before posting again. until I get thru all 120 of original. it will take time. oh am I am taking Namidas suggesting both about the pickup skill when using multiples while use just 1 icon with (if more than 1 will have a number in ie(5)) and also the time will put unlimited time(unless I get to the levels that require it(like just a minute)). Also when I get done with the fun rank and repost, I will go back and change the ones I made previously and change those to unlimited time also.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 05:18:39 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: eric's 1st trial pack for neolemmix(now fun rank is done)
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 08:55:58 AM »
ok I've finished my fun rank for neolemmix-I decided to name it Angry Lemmings.

Just extract pack to your neolemmix folder. everything should fall into place(like Namida wanted it to).

Note only 2 levels have time limits the other 28 are infinite. level 12 (Inpatience) I have one only because of the title(Impatient)
I forget which other level has one.
also with multiple pickups they are now 1 object including the ones I had previously(fixed those levels also with infinite time).
tomorrow will start tricky rank.

enjoy! And I included replays.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:01:14 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 03:59:07 AM »
working on tricky levels now

Offline messedupface

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 05:25:07 AM »
level 4 is missing skills to bridge the gap & in level 21, one of the pick up skills is missing (icon is there but no skill added)