Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] SubLems  (Read 23565 times)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] SubLems
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2020, 05:57:44 AM »
Hello Colorful Arty,

Reviving this topic to let you know that I have started my LP of your Sublems pack. Exactly 3 months since the last post no less :lem-mindblown: The link for my LP is here: Kaywhyn's LP of Arty's Sublems. So far, I have completed the Newbie and the first two ranks, so obviously I'm not done with the pack. More videos to come at a later time. In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and attach my replays and give feedback here. Replays from Newbie 1 through Scary 20 are attached, and so that means 50/110 levels completed. Total solving time is 2 hours so far for the first two main ranks + the Newbie rank. Not bad at all! :laugh:

As mentioned in Part 1 of the LP, I had already played and solved all of Sublems on Superlemmini back in 2017. 3 years later, I'm now taking on the New Formats NL version. I know there are some differences, such as how some levels that are in the SL version are not in the NL version. It's not a complete blind playthrough as a result, but I consider enough time has passed to start LPing the pack. Plus I don't really remember the solutions to any of the levels, especially since i don't have any replays for the SL version saved at all. Quite all right, since I can easily solve the levels for the most part. Should still offer enough of a challenge for me anyway :P

As for the music, I love the one for Sweet 17 - The Metropolos Lemopolis. That is the music I love the best out of the entire Putt-putt and Pep's Balloon-o-Rama game. I grew up with the game, and I'm quite happy to see that you have LPed the game. Oh, childhood memories! :) If I'm not mistaken, you were nearly a toddler that time when I first started playing Balloon-o-Rama. At that time I was halfway through elementray.

The other soundtrack I like is the one for Sweet 5 - Lemmings from the Caribbean. I recognize it as one of the tracks from the game Monkey Island. My brother and I grew up with the game, although I only watched him play it and I never got around to playing it until back in 2018, where I bought the Special Edition on Steam and played it. The other soundtrack I like from the game is LeChuck's theme. If you haven't played the Special Edition, I highly recommend it! You hear the spoken dialogue, and the graphics are extremely nice. Definitely difficult to go back to the no audible voices version once you do.

Feedback

Regarding the Newbie rank, nothing to say here other than all these tutorial levels were very well done. For someone like me and experienced players, we can definitely skip this rank entirely and we won't miss all that much for the pack. Even more causal players could if they wanted to. Regardless of one's experience with the game, I would still advise playing through the rank. Icho's NL Introduction Tutorial pack does pretty much the exact same thing with the Skills rank. However, for the purpose of the LP I played through the rank just for completeness ;)

Regarding the Sweet rank, very well done levels. I especially love the design of Sweet 3 - Last train to Lemmingland. Mostly X-of-everything-levels, with X being 20 or less. There are a few levels with only 1 skill given, but overall it's a very easy rank. Certainly the passage of time has taken its toll on me, especially with Scary 20 - Boss Battle 1: Crystal Creep, as I totally forgot about

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Regarding the Scary rank, as I mentioned in Part 2 of the LP, nothing too hard here either, as the levels are still very easy and so the difficulty is not much higher than the levels in the Sweet rank. The only levels I would consider difficult are the final 6 levels of the rank. Of course, they weren't hard for me, but here I'm thinking for less experienced and more casual players that they will be stumping points for them. Another very nicely designed rank finisher in Scary 20 - Boss Battle 2: Scary Snowman. Certainly more visual appealing than Sweet's rank finisher, as the latter is quite bland due to the monotonous crystal tileset. It's still a nicely designed level, but between the two I'm certainly more in favor with Scary 20's design.

I think what I will do for the rest of the pack is I will come back and post my replays and feedback when I finish each of the remaining ranks one by one. In other words, I will post 3 more times since there's still 3 full ranks to play through. Keep checking back for my replays as well as more videos of the LP of the pack. Enjoy! :P

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 06:45:32 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2020, 09:47:54 AM »
Ok, Chaotic rank is finished. Replays up through Chaotic 20 attached, and so 70/110 levels solved. The entire rank is covered in one video. The video is a little over an hour and 10 minutes, so I apologize for the very long length. I knew I should had stopped at the halfway point :XD: Apparently I really underestimated how long it takes to solve 20 levels in a single video, let alone an individual level. Perhaps because I felt every level has been an extremely quick solve that it gave the impression that I haven't recorded for a long time. At the same time, I need to add in the explanation/commentary time too.

As for the Chaotic rank, while none of the rank was overly hard, it's getting a bit difficult now. As mentioned before, I underestimated how long the entire rank took to solve even though there were a lot of extremely quick solves. Still, I continue to enjoy the levels and the pack very much

Chaotic Rank Feedback (click to show/hide)

2 more ranks and 40 levels to go! 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2020, 04:22:25 AM »
Insane rank completed, and thus more replays and feedback inbound. Here are my replays up through Insane 20. So, we are at 90/110 levels solved. Definitely much slower going now, considering the rank took more than 2 LP videos in contrast to the other ranks. This is definitely an indicator that the levels are now getting hard to the point that they give even me a challenge and a good run of my level solving abilities. In particular, my stupidity definitely shows on Insane 12, as I ended up struggling with that level far longer than I thought I would. It's also the level that took me the longest in the rank, as well as the entire pack so far, to solve. Goes to show that everyone's stumping points/roadblocks are different.

Yea, this is definitely confirmation not for me to get too overconfident with any packs considered less difficult than United, because I still get stumped by these level packs from time to time, although certainly nowhere near as much as I was with United, which took me an entire year to solve completely.

Insane Rank Feedback (click to show/hide)

Onto the final rank Hellish and the final 20 levels of the pack!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2020, 10:02:11 AM »
And, Hellish rank solved and thus the entire pack on New Formats NL. Here is my entire Sublems replay collection, all 110 levels solved, as well as my feedback on the Hellish rank. In contrast to the previous ranks, Hellish needed the most videos due to solving time slowing down considerably. The Insane rank was also slow going, but Hellish was even slower.

I've already provided the link to my LP, but I'll put it here too just so all my replays and LP are in one place.

Sublems LP link: Kaywhyn's LP of Arty's Sublems pack. Enjoy! :P I do believe I'm the first and only one so far to have LPed the New Formats version of the pack.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overall, a job well-done with this pack, Arty! :thumbsup: As was true with the SL version when I played through it back in 2017, I absolutely enjoyed many of the levels and the challenges some of them had to offer. I certainly don't remember much about the levels, and so I'll have to take a look at the SL version and see whether some of the NL levels that replaced them are definitely better. I definitely recommend this pack to anyone who wants a pack on the easier side. It does get difficult near the end, especially in the final two ranks, but it should still be manageable and doable. Even when the going gets tough, many of the levels are just artistically brilliant to look at, even if one can't solve some of the levels. I will likely take a look at your Artlems pack shortly after now that I've solved Sublems. I did also finish your Lost Pieces pack of rejected levels. But first, to take care of some more LPs I have planned and the ones that have been suggested/recommended for me to LP.

Hope you're doing well!

Offline LemFan

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »
Love you Colorful Arty:)