Author Topic: [BUG][EDITOR] Application DPI results in offset layout in scaled display  (Read 1845 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
My new laptop's recommended display config is 1920 x 1080 scaled to 125%. I've tried scaling it to 100% and it's OK but everything is tiny. 125% makes enough of a difference to make it worthwhile keeping it on this setting.

The text in the editor is blurred when using Windows scaling:

So, I've set both Player and Editor to specify their own DPI scaling (by going to Properties>Compatibility>Change high DPI settings and choosing "Application"). This makes everything look as it should resolution-wise in both programs, but the layout of the Editor is slightly offset:

Please note that imgur adds its own filtering to images, so I've also attached these images to the post for reference.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I'd add that unlike the player, it might be best for the editor to always do application DPI rather than make it an option.  As I recall, the only reason we want it as an option for the player is for performance reasons.  (Although ideally we should try to address the performance issue so people don't have to compromise between blurriness and bad framerates.)  The editor doesn't seem like it'd have the same performance demands as the player.

The editor actually seems like it's pretty close, most of the UI seem to manage to retain more or less the same positions and dimensions when you compare the two screenshots.  It's just the width of the left panel that seems to be affected causing part of the UI to get cut off.  So maybe there aren't even that many things that need fixing with application DPI.

On that note, @WillLem: I'm guessing it'd be very helpful if you can look through all the other UI in the editor running with application DPI, and post screenshots here of any other that have similar problems like things getting cut off or horribly mis-positioned and/or mis-sized.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
On that note, @WillLem: I'm guessing it'd be very helpful if you can look through all the other UI in the editor running with application DPI, and post screenshots here of any other that have similar problems like things getting cut off or horribly mis-positioned and/or mis-sized.

Sure thing; here are screenshots of exactly what I'm looking at on each Editor tab. You can see that the bottom edge is cut off as well as part of the right edge, and the left edge of the level editing area overlaps the UI.

Otherwise, it looks decent in high DPI.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
It looks like the editor was never written to be DPI-independent (now THIS is less expected, as varying DPIs in monitors was already a common thing when development on this editor started...).

It could be a lot of effort to fix this. I'll look into it, but I'm not holding my breath for anything other than a "ignore the DPI setting, always act as if the screen is 96 DPI (100% scaling in Windows)".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)