Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] Success / failure jingles  (Read 2681 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[DISC][PLAYER] Success / failure jingles
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:13:14 AM »
Three things to discuss in relation to these:

1. Whether they should be kept at all.
2. If so - would you use the ability to provide custom ones for your packs, if it were supported?

3. Does anyone enable the success jingle but not the failure one, or vice versa?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:59:59 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] Success / failure jingles
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 07:55:05 AM »
1. Yes
2. Yes, I did for Lemmings World Tour, and plan to keep using those jingles for the other music-themed packs (Lemmings Open Air; Lemmings Hall of Fame; Lemmings, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll)
3. EDIT: I don't.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:34:14 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 09:38:02 AM »
3. I had never thought of that, because so far they could only be enabled in tandem - so I don't really mind

They can already be enabled / disabled seperately.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 10:07:40 AM »
Oh, thanks, I wasn't aware! ;) Well, then I guess my answer to 3 is yes as well (I edited my post above and changed it), I don't see a reason to remove this option.

Maybe some people want to enjoy the success jingle but avoid the failure one... or vice versa, for some reason... :D

It could also be that you're playing a custom pack where somebody picked their own choices for those jingles, and you like one of them but not the other (just on a pure taste level, irrespective of which sound represents success or failure).
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 07:53:48 PM »
Okay, I should be more clear with the questions. I'm not interested in hypotheticals about "it might be useful for someone", rather, I want to know from the people answering - would they, personally, use custom ones in their pack? Would they, personally, enable one but disable the other?

I've rephrased the OP to be more clear about this.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 08:17:09 PM »
I've been using them since they were added back initially. So I would like for them to be kept.
for the second question, I think that would add flexibility for the level packs (though I wonder if its possible to add custom lemmings sounds for the level pack's folder so I don't have to replace the internal NL folder's sounds)
And I do have the jingles enabled at all times and I've seen a couple of people using the jingles as well. I remember Mobius having custom jingles for his playthrough of Lemmings Destination.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 01:00:29 AM »
For #3, while perhaps few people would enable one but not the other, it's not clear to me what you really gain by making any changes now to that specific aspect.  It felt more like a question that one could've asked before the feature was designed and implemented, and addressed then accordingly, but now that they already exist, is it worth spending any time at all on changing it, and for what reasons?

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 08:36:07 AM »
but now that they already exist, is it worth spending any time at all on changing it, and for what reasons

Indeed; this is usually my standard go-to argument against culls of any sort. ;)

I've adapted the answers in my initial post to what I personally use. While I've only created one pair of custom jingles, I use those two in four different packs, so each of them would require feature 2.
My packs so far:

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 08:54:12 AM »
I like the jingles, though I wouldn't necessarily mind the ability to have separate settings for when launching from the editor, as the failure jingle can get a little irritating when testing an in-progress level. Still, it can be a useful notification for if I'm testing a level, as the failure jingle can serve as a notification that, "Hey, you didn't actually hit the save requirement there - something's either wrong with your attempt or the level settings!" in case I wasn't paying attention to the results screen. If the options were available, I'd at least consider disabling the failure jingle but not the success jingle when launching from the editor specifically - though it could easily end up being one of those options Simon talked about a while back where you really want the option, but then once the option exists, suddenly you're okay with it the way it is.

If we're going to allow custom jingles per pack, I suggest following back to the defaults if the user has not installed the music pack.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:00:21 AM by Dullstar »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 08:59:48 AM »
Okay so, these are far more widely used than I thought. They're definitely staying, then.

I'd also say it looks like there's enough interest in this feature to justify it, given that it's a relatively simple thing to implement.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 12:54:10 PM »
Thanks a lot, namida, that's good to hear! :thumbsup:
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 08:11:35 PM »
To be clear, I'm still interested in the 3rd question (of whether or not there needs to remain two seperate options). It's a code / menu tidyup thing.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 06:11:07 PM »
There hasn't been much objection to combining into a single option for both jingles, so I'm going to go ahead with that.

While it keeps getting delayed, I do still intend to implement customizable ones. It's a bit trickier than custom graphics, but it's still very doable.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 07:35:37 PM »
Perhaps the Release Rate sound could also be an audio option, along with jingles?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 07:37:30 PM »
Perhaps, but that is a seperate discussion. I don't want to create an option for every possible sound; these have an option by virtue of having once existed as an always-on feature which, on two occasions now, have proven to be very controversial rather than an obvious preference one way or the other, when it was proposed whether or not they should be kept at all. This doesn't mean outright "it cannot happen", just "it's not very likely to happen".
My Lemmings projects