Author Topic: Lemmings Packs I have Beaten, Currently Playing, and Thinking of Playing  (Read 33236 times)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lemmings United Finally All Solved! 205/205 + 33/33 Bonus Levels Solved
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 11:55:41 PM »
It has finally been done! Including the Bonus rank, I have officially solved all 238 levels of United. I have edited the OP to reflect this by striking out United from the currently playing list and adding it to the completed list. With this, United is now officially the largest level pack I have completed to date. Before this, Strato's Lemmicks was the largest pack I have completed at 170 levels, but before I finished that Icho's other pack Reunion was the largest pack I finished at 150 levels. Technically, the largest pack completed should had gone to Lemmini's version of Revenge of the Lemmings, but I'm still stuck on Bonus 25, with 5 more levels after that, and so I can't say it's the biggest pack I've completed.

All that remains is for me to go back and resolve the new versions of 4 Genocide levels and then I'll finally be done. However, having played almost nothing but United for the past several months, I am completely burnt out. So, I think what I'll do is take a break from United for a few days before coming back to resolve them.

Fun Fact: I started solving United on September 7, 2019. Today is September 7, 2020, so it took me exactly 1 year to solve all of United. It's important to note that this was very likely due to two things: The fact that Neutrality 41 managed to stump me good for 4 months, as well as how I've been out of a job since my home state of California closed down back in March and I have remained jobless to this day. Otherwise, had I been working the last several months, I probably would only be in the War rank around this time.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings United Finally All Solved! 205/205 + 33/33 Bonus Levels Solved
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »

It has finally been done! Including the Bonus rank, I have officially solved all 238 levels of United.

Well done Kaywhyn! From what I understand, this is one of the most difficult packs on the forum!

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings United Finally All Solved! 205/205 + 33/33 Bonus Levels Solved
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 05:58:56 AM »
Well done Kaywhyn! From what I understand, this is one of the most difficult packs on the forum!

Thanks a bunch, WillLem! :) I believe the assessment that United is the most difficult pack there currently is is quite accurate. Alpha Plus might be up there with United, but I'm only on the second level, so I'm not sure.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Packs I have Beaten, Currently Playing, and Thinking of Playing
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 05:15:28 AM »
Currently jumping around a lot between packs. I'm currently stuck on the first level of the final rank, Black Hole, of Nepsterlems, so as much as I would had loved to finish up this pack first before moving to other packs, I'm taking a break from it. I also started playing Renaissance Lemmings, which I thought would be a really quick solve, but the levels in there are quite tough nuts! So, for the time being, I have resumed namida's Lemmings Plus Alpha now that I managed to get myself unstuck on Mutilation 2. There was nothing hard about the level. I was stuck on it for a long time because I was an idiot and didn't pay close attention to the save requirement and hence I was absolutely stuck on only the second level of the pack for no reason other than my stupidity. So, I guess now that I'm playing LAP, I'll see how long it takes before I get very stuck again on the pack. Needless to say, now that I'm mostly done with United, I'm pretty much playing the other two really hard level packs first before I start doing the ones a bit on the easier side.

I have modified the OP by adding LAP and Renaissance Lemmings to the list of packs I'm currently playing, as well as updated my current progress on Nepsterlems in the same list.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:23:12 AM by kaywhyn »

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lemmings Plus Alpha Done! =)
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2020, 07:35:03 AM »
Just completed Lemmings Plus Alpha! Definitely has taken me nowhere near as long as United. Once I got unstuck on Mutilation 2, the second level of the pack, I breezed through the rest of the pack pretty easily until I reached the penultimate level of the pack, Obliteration 14. Besides Mutilation 2, I was stuck on this level the longest in the entire pack. The fact that it's a hard penultimate level is quite similar to Save Me, the penultimate of the original Lemmings game and much harder than the final level of the game.

I have updated the OP to reflect that I completed Lemmings Plus Alpha. Now, I think it's back to trying to finish Nepterlems for me, as well as resolving the newest versions of United levels. Then once I'm successful with both, I think that should be it in terms of very difficult packs and then it's onto packs a bit on the easier side for me. Definitely getting burnt out by these really difficult packs, but I certainly don't mind them, given how I was willing to take them on and managed to get through them.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Now Playing Paralems
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 05:55:39 AM »
Finally started playing Paralems for Old Formats! Taking a bit of a temporary break from all the very difficult levels I've been playing for the last several months and trying to play catch-up on all the other packs I've been meaning to take on for quite a while now but haven't had the chance to. Don't worry, I will come back and do some more resolving of United, as I am very determined to finish all the resolving of the backroute patched versions of the 6 levels I have left, and I will be back to finish off Nepsterlems, but I am quite burned out from playing nothing but very hard levels.

Updated the OP and topic title to reflect this.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2020, 06:27:12 AM »
oh good now maybe I'll save your replays for this too, although Paralems I have replays already and turned green. But I do need replays for Pitlems

but just for your info the 2nd to last level in the last rank(Demented) IT'S FEEDING TIME! the style catrrap.dat was reported missing so here put this in your main Paralems directory

it will just add styles/cattrap.dat into the main drectory. I just grabbed it from the Pitlems pack(had to use Namida NXPextractor on Pitlems to get it.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 11:12:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing this again, eric. ;) At the time of uploading Paralems, it wasn't necessary to share my entire styles folder (as I ended up doing for Old-Formats Lemmings World Tour, because I had modified the original Lemmings tilesets by adding additional pieces that had been exclusive to New Formats at that point).

The cattrap was created by nin10doadict and thus was his to share. I converted it to New Formats, as far as I recall, until somebody else also converted the rest of his custom pieces (since they were required for the New-Formats version of CasuaLemmings).

I think everyone playing back in the day had the cattrap anyway, that's why it never came up. Newer members who only joined recently don't, at least not in Old Formats, since it didn't come with the standard downloads. As I said, though, I shared my entire styles folder together with Old-Formats Lemmings World Tour. So naturally, this also includes the Old-Formats cat trap (required for example for the World-Tour levels "Eye of the tiger" and "The lion sleeps tonight").

For now, I'm not really actively maintaining Paralems any longer for Old Formats - joshescue has finished the entire pack and I haven't looked at the replays to this day - since I assumed most people don't care about Old Formats anymore anyway, and Paralems is not going to be converted to New Formats. Only select levels from it will be, and those are going to become part of "Pit Lems Remastered". Some others already appear in the Encore rank of Lemmings World Tour, though, and do so in both Old and New Formats.

With the current resurging interest in Old-Formats packs, though (as in "actually playing them in the Old-Formats player"), I probably should take a look at Paralems again. Maybe I am just going to watch joshescue's and kaywhyn's replays for it in para-llel (*badumm-tss* :P ). And maybe, if they discover further backroutes (although few levels are actual puzzles, so the term rarely applies), I'm going to fix them. In case this happens on some of the levels I have selected to appear on Pit Lems Remastered, this will certainly be helpful! :thumbsup:

But overall, Paralems is definitely at the bottom of my maintenance list. Fixing Lemmings World Tour is at the top, followed by Lemmicks. The general rule with my packs is: The later the date of creation, the higher the quality. :D
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Paralems Done! Pit Lems is Next on My List to Play
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2020, 07:03:41 AM »
Well, that didn't take very long. Paralems is done! Pit Lems is next. I have updated the OP to reflect the changes. Strato, my feedback and replays will be awaiting you in the pack topic.

oh good now maybe I'll save your replays for this too, although Paralems I have replays already and turned green. But I do need replays for Pitlems

You're in luck. The plan was for me to do Pit Lems after I'm done with Paralems anyway. Still, you're more than welcome to collect my Paralems replays too.

but just for your info the 2nd to last level in the last rank(Demented) IT'S FEEDING TIME! the style catrrap.dat was reported missing so here put this in your main Paralems directory

it will just add styles/cattrap.dat into the main drectory. I just grabbed it from the Pitlems pack(had to use Namida NXPextractor on Pitlems to get it.

Ok, thanks a bunch for this! :)

With the current resurging interest in Old-Formats packs, though (as in "actually playing them in the Old-Formats player"), I probably should take a look at Paralems again.

I'm a completionist, so I plan to eventually tackle all the packs that are currently available, including Old Formats. I plan to finish the Old Formats packs first, since I don't have that much left to do, before making my way up to the New Formats packs. Not to mention that the Old Formats packs are generally much older.

Maybe I am just going to watch joshescue's and kaywhyn's replays for it in para-llel (*badumm-tss* :P ).

Haha, I see what you did there with "para-llel."

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2020, 08:54:01 AM »
Haha, I see what you did there with "para-llel."

Well, the pack is in fact called Paralems because its philosophy runs parallel to / strays from mainstream NeoLemmix puzzle philosophy. ;)

You're in luck. The plan was for me to do Pit Lems after I'm done with Paralems anyway. Still, you're more than welcome to collect my Paralems replays too.

Alright then - I just hope nin10doadict's Let's Play was sufficient to help me exterminate all the backroutes. :D I'm already mentally preparing for new ones, though.

Note right from the getgo that the level "Crossing the Nile" seems unfixable; the intended solution is just way more complex than any shortcut one could come up with.

I'm a completionist, so I plan to eventually tackle all the packs that are currently available, including Old Formats.

It's funny, because both you and ericderkovits describe yourselves as such. However, for you, "completionist" actually seems to mean "play all the packs", whereas for eric it just means collecting the replays.

Once you get to Lemmings World Tour, i.e. become a Lemmings musician, I guess that would make ericderkovits your hardcore fan who travels around with you and picks up everything you drop... :P And who collects all of your releases, including special re-issues and such. 8-) And then he places them all in a museum and starts writing your biography...
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 09:52:11 AM »
However, for you, "completionist" actually seems to mean "play all the packs", whereas for eric it just means collecting the replays.

Precisely! At least in the context of lemmings, being a completionist means I want to play and complete every pack ;) As you might have guessed, I love solving levels, and if me having completed United is any indication, the community probably considers me one of the better solvers.

In other games, like Starcraft or Warcraft, for example, by me being a completionist, it means I like to raze and total every enemy base even if the campaign objective does not require such.

Once you get to Lemmings World Tour, i.e. become a Lemmings musician, I guess that would make ericderkovits your hardcore fan who travels around with you and picks up everything you drop... :P And who collects all of your releases, including special re-issues and such. 8-) And then he places them all in a museum and starts writing your biography...

Haha, nice! I kind of am a musician in a way, but my talent lies in singing for fun, not mixing music, so it's kind of like eric is a paparazzi haha. Also, eric has stated that he admires my perseverance and how I just have so much patience for being able to sit through levels and solve them. Just so you know, I do prefer that he actually plays and solves the levels himself rather than just watch replays, as in my opinion they simply spoil one's enjoyment of figuring out the solutions for him or herself if the level hasn't been solved yet. However, like Icho, I have made it known that I don't mind eric collecting the replays, just that he can definitely improve his solving ability by playing the actual levels before viewing any video solutions. He says he's lousy at solving, but here I think he's selling himself short, and I think he's much better at solving than he claims to be. I've seen him perfectly capable of it. 

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pit Lems All Solved! Two Packs of Strato's Solved All Within A Week.
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2020, 06:39:06 AM »
Well, that didn't take very long at all. Solved all of Paralems AND now Pit Lems, both packs of Strato's, all within a week. Now I think I will do LWT for Old Formats next, also a pack of Strato's that's considered his flagship pack. Updated the OP to reflect this. 

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »
ok good some of his old format ones don't work with Icho's new format ones. Alot do, but also many don't And since I already have icho's new format ones all turned green, I only need the old format replays for many levels

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »
There's a lot of physics differences between Old Formats and New Formats. Most importantly, there are some levels in Old Formats that cannot be converted to New Formats due to culled features. In those cases, usually a completely different level took its place in New Formats, or rework the level so that it's as close to the original as much as possible.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2020, 12:10:02 PM »
In those cases, usually a completely different level took its place in New Formats, or rework the level so that it's as close to the original as much as possible.

The latter is the case. ;) I didn't create any new levels for New-Formats LWT, I just tried to get as close to the original, Old-Formats solution as possible if it involved radiation and/or slowfreeze. On two levels, the introductory ones for those features, this worked particularly well ("Radioactive" and "Like ice in the sunshine", both from the Amateur rank). On others, the original solution suffered quite a bit from the culling, so that the New-Formats version is just a weak shadow of what I had in mind as an intended solution (e.g. "Japan" or "Blowing in the wind").
My packs so far: