Author Topic: [REQUEST] Please can everyone screenshot their F2 menu... THX!  (Read 2500 times)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I'm having some issues with a new laptop I bought recently. I've already decided I'm returning it, but before I go ahead and shop for another, I just need to see now NL looks in everyone's display.

Please can you screenshot your F2 Level Select menu and post it here, along with your laptop make and model.

Thank you!

For reference, here's how it looks on my old laptop (an Acer Aspire from 2010 with a 15" 1366 x 768 display) Nice, clear, friendly MS Sans Serif:

And here's how it looks on the new laptop (an Acer Swift 3 from 2019 with a 14" 1920 x 1080 display). Yucky Bilinear scaling with mucky orange anti-aliasing:

(I've also attached these images because embedding from imgur adds its own layer of filtering!)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:15:51 PM by WillLem »

Offline mantha16

• View Profile

Lenovo 80G0

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
WillLem's blurry subpixel antialiasing looks like Windows 10 font settings problem.

Attached is picture of NL run via Wine on Linux. Clear sans-serif pixellated font.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Is only the text in the level selection tree affected, or also all other texts displayed elsewhere in NeoLemmix (excluding of course the ones based on the Lemmings graphics)?  How about other texts in other programs running on that laptop?

Online WillLem

• View Profile
Is only the text in the level selection tree affected, or also all other texts displayed elsewhere in NeoLemmix (excluding of course the ones based on the Lemmings graphics)?  How about other texts in other programs running on that laptop?

It affects any and all programs that run in lower resolutions. The computer upscales these using a basic Bilinear filter, and they appear particularly blurry alongside the neat, HD-quality of Windows itself (plus any other apps that run in basic HD or higher).

All menus and dialog boxes in NL are affected by this scaling.

Please keep the screenshots coming, people. It's really a big help!

Online Proxima

• View Profile

Online WillLem

• View Profile
Thanks Proxima! What's your laptop?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
It's not to do with specific models of laptop, it's related to the fact that you've got a non-integer scaling setting. This would happen with any app that isn't DPI-aware when used with a non-integer scale (which your laptop model may affect the default setting of, to be fair); in practice, most apps are DPI aware nowdays, but NeoLemmix is not. The main reason for this, apart from simply "it's always been like that", is that on particularly high-res displays (4K in particular), NL gets very laggy if it's running at that full resolution rather than being partly upscaled by the OS.

Either turn your laptop's scaling down to 100%, or else set NL to ignore the scaling:
1. Right click NeoLemmix's EXE, go to Properties
2. Click "Change high-DPI settings"
3. Near the bottom of the window that pops up, click the "Override high-DPI scaling" checkbox and select "Performed by application" from the dropdown

I recommend using the above steps only when your screen's scaling is non-integer (eg. 125% or 150% or 250%; but not if it's eg. 200% or 300%). NL should look fine when the scaling is an integer factor.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [REQUEST] Please can everyone screenshot their F2 menu... THX!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 07:30:17 AM »
It's not to do with specific models of laptop, it's related to the fact that you've got a non-integer scaling setting... click the "Override high-DPI scaling" checkbox and select "Performed by application" from the dropdown

This fixed it - NL now looks nice and crisp again! :thumbsup: Thanks for this, Namida!

Wierdly though, it's still using a different font than MS Sans Serif for the menu. At least the orangeyness has disappeared though, and the colours in general are now looking more like they should.

So yeah, happy to close this topic now. Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:17:04 PM by WillLem »