Author Topic: Level Design Contest #20 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 23087 times)

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #20 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2020, 07:31:25 PM »
DireKrow's R3 was pretty impressive and I think I finally found the intentional solution. :thumbsup:

That is indeed the intended solution!
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2020, 09:51:19 PM »
In regards to Icho's new replays:

There's definitely still an issue in my R2 level but it's going to take me some thought to figure out what to do about it. It'll probably be a couple days until I have a new patch ready.

R3 is an acceptable variant, though it looks like it was probably a bit harder to execute.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:02:34 PM by Dullstar »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2020, 12:25:24 AM »
Finally solved Armani's R2! Impressive level! :thumbsup:

Clever, not precise and deceivingly hard without using extremely advanced tricks.

Attached the replay.

That leaves resolving Nessy's R2 and Armani's R1 for now. :)

Also Armani's solution for my R3 is totally acceptable, but the level is very open anyway. ;P

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2020, 05:45:27 AM »
Re solved updated levels.
Some of them still seems not intended.

Finally solved Armani's R2! Impressive level! :thumbsup:
Intended! :thumbsup:
Actually, I first found that trick when making attempts to one of your level.(Journey to the Coast)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »
Yes, that needs a little update. That glider usage especially was completely unintended. :P

@JRT, just to make sure you see it: Just noticed the R3 update. Please make a new post for a new update and delete the old one, as then exactly this happens and I totally overlook it. ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:40:01 AM by IchoTolot »

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2020, 10:12:25 AM »
Yes, that needs a little update. That glider usage especially was completely unintended.

The level seems to need another fixes. :'(
First one definitely is a backroute and second one used every skill but a little bit hackish.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2020, 11:11:50 AM »
They are both unintended. Maybe the extra steel and the extra pick-up can do the trick.

The level already was quite difficult to fix even during my own testing, but I'll get there. ;)

Offline JRT

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2020, 11:39:03 AM »

I prefer creating levels. ;)
Yeah I think I'm in that camp too. :)

@JRT, just to make sure you see it: Just noticed the R3 update. Please make a new post for a new update and delete the old one, as then exactly this happens and I totally overlook it. ;)

Gotcha! Cheers, also after watching the video last night I was impressed that you had the fortitude to perform the algorithm using lemmings! It means it's too easy though, I might adjust a V2.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2020, 01:16:02 PM »
Gotcha! Cheers, also after watching the video last night I was impressed that you had the fortitude to perform the algorithm using lemmings! It means it's too easy though, I might adjust a V2.

I 100% wouldn't call the algorithm method easy and watching the lemmings land seemed to be the only way to see where the current distribution is wrong. That leaves me with a question though:

What exactly is your goal with the R3 level if it is not letting the player slowly figure out the right combination through watching the lemming distribution and logical thinking?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So is your goal to be able solve the level by slowly decifer the right decision chain like I did or pure chance? I would advice against pure chance.

If it's another logical method though I would not object. That excludes unclear visual hints that the player has next to no chance of interpretating right though.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
Resolved everything again. 8-)

Attached all my solutions.

I was especially impressed with the very likely to be intended solution to Armani's R1. :) 

But also spotted a minor edit error in the level as a 1 pixel row of the upper left steel block of the middle square got erased. Should be an easy fix though.

I still smell some backroutes in other levels though.

Will make another video when all levels are somewhat finalised so I can give my final thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:29:54 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2020, 02:52:26 PM »
Here's my video LP of Rule 1!

Once I've got my new laptop up and running I'll do LPs for Rules 2 and 3 as well. :lemcat:

After filming this, I managed to solve Icho's Stachenblochen via a more refined version of the solution attempted in the LP. Probably wasn't intended though as it uses a lot of backroutey techniques. (EDIT: Replay only works for V1 as it was indeed a backroute.)

Also managed to solve DireKrow's Traipsing About Tombs after filming - turns out that I had most of the correct elements of the puzzle figured out, but I just had to put them in the correct order!

Solved JRT's This Month's Tribute To M.C. Escher whilst filming the LP. This one felt like a backroute to be fair, but I did like the fact that the abundance of skills offered plenty of solution possibilities, and it was good to get one for the LP :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I haven't got a clue how to solve Armani's, (Icho's), Mantha's or NieSch's levels. I did have another look at them, and they're just crazy hard. Onto Rule 2 methinks, hopefully I've have a better shot at those...

Successful replays attached.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:56:26 PM by WillLem »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2020, 03:00:12 PM »
EDIT: After filming this, I managed to solve Icho's Stachenblochen via a more refined version of the solution attempted in this video! Not sure if it's intended, but it does use most of the skills. Replay attached.

That replay sadly does not work anymore as the V2 I uploaded and included in the pack now has a steel ring around the middle block on which the exit rests.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2020, 04:28:29 PM »
@Nessy: I still got a blocker left.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »
Meanwhile, I haven't got a clue how to solve Armani's, (Icho's), Mantha's or NieSch's levels.

You were thinking in the right direction when it comes to my rule 1 level. Hint:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2020, 08:15:11 PM »
Also managed to solve DireKrow's Traipsing About Tombs after filming - turns out that I had most of the correct elements of the puzzle figured out, but I just had to put them in the correct order!

This is the intended solution, nice one!
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)