Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Reverse Lemmings Classic Edition (120 Levels) [V1.01 UPDATE]  (Read 636 times)

Offline WillLem

• #SaveTheGrenader
    • View Profile

Reverse Lemmings Classic Edition is an NXLV conversion and graphical restoration of Colorful Arty's original Reverse Lemmings, itself a remix of DMA's original Lemmings (1990) with the entrances and exits swapped so that the levels are played in reverse!

Not to be confused with Colorful Arty's all-new Reverse Lemmings, which can be downloaded here.

I have restored the missing water graphics, resized the levels where appropriate, and included a custom skill panel graphic along with the pack as a bonus. I have also playtested the levels to make sure they all work in NeoLemmix (replays included).

The vast majority of the levels are exactly the same as the original in terms of Lemming Count, Time Limit and Skillset. The following changes have been made either to prevent unnecessary lemming losses, fix backroutes, or provide alternative solutions:

It's been a labour of love getting this pack together: it was the first custom pack that I played, and I enjoyed it immensely. Sure, the levels vary quite jarringly in difficulty and quality, but I like that it has its flaws and isn't perfect. Experimental and mischievous in nature, the levels flow from one to the next with a unique blend of old-photo-album familiarity and a wry mischievousness I'm sure even the DMA team would be proud of!

It's an easy pack by forum standards - never harder than the original levels on which they're based and nearly always offering the player a choice of solutions. Colorful Arty's new version has much more of a sting in its tail, and is heartily recommended for anyone looking for a more challenging version of this pack.

I'd encourage you to enjoy Reverse Lemmings Classic Edition as a casual bit of nostalgia, or even a fertile source of challenge levels. It'll sit quite happily next to my own Oh No! More Reverse Lemmings on my remix packs compilation page for anyone who wishes to explore these packs further.

To play Reverse Lemmings Classic Edition, simply download the zip file and extract it to NeoLemmix>levels.
The Replays folder contains a complete set of solution replays for this pack.

Enjoy! :lemcat:

Thanks to:

Colorful Arty for reversing the levels in the first place, and for giving me the approval to compile this project.
geoo for providing a set of LVLs extracted from the Amiga version of Lemmings, from which I was able to restore the missing water graphics.
namida for providing a purpose-built tool which was able to extract LVL data from Amiga emulation savestates, which came in very handy for sourcing data for the oddtabled levels in the set provided by geoo.

Also check out Oh No! More Reverse Lemmings :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:52:20 PM by WillLem »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
cool. I see you used the restored maps

Offline WillLem

• #SaveTheGrenader
    • View Profile
cool. I see you used the restored maps

That I did!

Just to make you aware - the maps that I used for this project are ones I restored myself using a combination of pre-existing Amiga extractions (provided by geoo) and ones made using a purpose-built tool from namida, which was able to extract the LVL data from Amiga emulator savestates (genius!). I have now updated the OP to credit everyone accordingly.

This work was done as part of a full restoration of original Lemmings, which is available here.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:35:30 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• #SaveTheGrenader
    • View Profile
Version 1.01 is here! See OP for download

Here's what's changed:

Offline WillLem

• #SaveTheGrenader
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Reverse Lemmings Classic Edition (120 Levels) [V1.01 UPDATE]
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 08:52:30 PM »
An update for these 6 levels; the titles had {\!} instead of just {!}

Not a major thing, but you might want to update your copies to avoid any confusion. The OP download has also been updated.