Author Topic: [BUG?] Priority of postview messages  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
[BUG?] Priority of postview messages
« on: April 24, 2020, 02:14:16 PM »
As seen in Roundthewheel's LP of Lemmings Redux, part 32, at 11:32, he saved 15 on a level requiring 16/20, and got "A little more practice on the level is definitely recommended".

Being 1 short of the target should always give the "OH NO, So near and yet so far" failure message.

According to the NeoLemmix tutorials, "For the most part the priority is 'the later it is in the file, the higher priority it has', but there are a few special cases." Redux has the same postview.nxmi as Original Lemmings, in which the "OH NO" message is indeed later than "A little more practice...", so either something's up or else this is one of those "special cases". If the latter, could the tutorial explain the special cases so that I know how to fix the postview.nxmi file?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG?] Priority of postview messages
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 05:44:35 AM »
Okay, it seems that explanation of how it works is not remotely correct. I'll replace it with a correct one.

Any suggestions afterwards to change it could be heard, but should be a new topic.

EDIT: Copy-paste of the new explanation from that topic:

In terms of how the game actually selects which one to display, it will pick the last one in the file that fits the following conditions:
1. The player has saved enough lemmings to fulfill the condition.
2. For the specific level in question, the save requirement of any earlier-in-the-file postview text that fulfills condition 1, is lower than (not equal to) the save requirement of this text.

There is a special case - if a text's condition (not just "what it calculates to in practice") is either "save the requirement exactly" or "save 100%", it does not need to pass condition #2 (it still must pass condition #1 of course).

I also discovered another somewhat related bug while investigating this: When calculating which postview message to display, the level's lemming count is calculated as if all Cloner pickup skills in the level only provide 1 skill, even if they actually provide multiple. This is fixed in commit 37fe2be, and will also be backported to a V12.10.2 release if one occurs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 05:56:41 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)