Author Topic: [SUG] Don't allow packs to customise helper graphics  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
[SUG] Don't allow packs to customise helper graphics
« on: April 21, 2020, 05:52:52 PM »
According to WillLem's tutorial, packs can include custom helper graphics in the same way as custom panels and so forth.

This seems like a really bad idea. Sure, allow the user to customise their splat ruler if they don't like the default. But I cannot see any reason why a pack designer should have the power to impose a different splat ruler on the user. These tools are part of the way the player interacts with the levels, not part of the levels, and should remain outside the scope of pack-level customisation.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG] Don't allow packs to customise helper graphics
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
I get the impression WillLem has just assumed you can customize every graphic for a pack. I'm 99% sure helper graphics cannot be customized, nor can the cursor. I'll check this to make sure, though.

It's intended that a pack can provide custom skill panel graphics, and custom title / menu screen graphics (including background and font). Cursor isn't intended IIRC, though I'm open to whether it should be possible to customize. Clear physics mode graphics are absolutely not, while lemming sprites are the domain of styles rather than packs.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG] Don't allow packs to customise helper graphics
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 11:48:14 PM »
Closing, as it's confirmed that these graphics cannot be customized by a pack. (A user can mod their own copy of NeoLemmix, globally, to change these graphics, but that falls under "not actively supported, but not worth my time to prevent".)

Opening a new topic to discuss the question of should the cursor be modifiable.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)