Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Editable exit sound  (Read 1043 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG][PLAYER] Editable exit sound
« on: April 17, 2020, 01:21:13 AM »
Could it be made so that the exit sound can be replaced for single exit graphics, as with other objects?

The one possible issue might be that locked exits would then need 2 assignable sounds: one for the exit unlocking, and another for the lems exiting.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Editable exit sound
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 02:40:50 AM »
Exits already support two sounds: One for opening, and one for closing again. It shouldn't be too difficult to expand that to 3 if needed. There really isn't much technical obstacles in the way of doing this.

However, I don't personally see much reason for this to exist. It'd make more sense IMO to allow setting a custom sound to go with custom spritesets - eg. to allow the Lemmina sprites to have a female voice, or to suit a spriteset that has a different animation rather than the jump into the exit.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 03:09:10 AM »
I think a dummy style is usually used to accomplish this, but it would definitely make sense to apply to a whole level pack. You could imagine, for example, a pack designed to use the sounds and music from DOS lemmings benefiting from the ability to change the exit sounds, hatch sounds, all sorts of other sounds, etc.

Though I think at that point you'd almost want some sort of generalized way to overwrite arbitrary sounds from the base game, but I'm not sure how much effort that would be.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 03:23:15 AM »
I agree, this would make sense and I even considered recording Lemminas voices, but decided against it in the end. I may implement it in a future version though: I know that GigaLem has done it with one of his female sprite sets.

How possible would it be to allow both? i.e. change exit sounds and other voice sfx for a spriteset, whilst also allowing the option to change a specific exit's sound within a style.