Author Topic: Hypotenuse's first levels ever.  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Hypotenuse

• View Profile
Hypotenuse's first levels ever.
« on: April 06, 2020, 09:19:32 AM »
Well, it's been a solid two weeks in quarantine now. And tonight, as I lay in bed, listening to podcasts, I started to get an idea for a level. I've had lots of ideas for levels over the years, but I had never actually really gotten to making any of them into a real thing. Until now. Will I be sufficiently bored during this quarantine to make an entire pack of levels into which this will somehow fit? Who knows. All I know is this level is pretty stupid and insane, and certain elements of it seem prone to causing a bit more slowdown than one is accustomed to, but I put a lot of thought and effort into it, and I hope that y'all enjoy it a bit. As for queries and criticisms, I'm open to hear any and all, but it doesn't necessarily mean I'll ever change anything because 1. I'm lazy and 2. I personally consider backroutes to be valid solutions. I feel fairly certain I've prevented most of them, or at least prevented ways to deviate substantially from the general idea. But if you figure one out somehow, more power to you. (Also I really hope I'm attaching this file in a way that makes it accessible.)

Stay Safe!
-Hyp
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:16:45 AM by Simon »
I am the dude who pauses the level to hear the new level music. Also, backroutes are the best routes.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: My first level ever.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 05:07:58 PM »
Taking a first glance at the level and yep, it does indeed look messy in an artistic point of view, but one thing I did notice that was interesting is all the stacked water traps acting as a border (I know there's another example of its use in Wicked 12). It does remind me of the game Sound Shapes, where you can create levels with deadly terrain. I wonder what the largest possible trigger area can be?

2. I personally consider backroutes to be valid solutions

These would have been my kinds of levels, like the one I submitted in Design Contest #18. The levels in the Level Solving Contest are based around huge levels that allow for a variety of solutions. If we change the skillset around and neaten the edges maybe this level could be our next contest level.

Anyway, nice to see a created level from a different user. :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Hypotenuse

• View Profile
My SECOND level ever
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 08:25:24 PM »
As the quarantine has continued on, so has my levelmaking experimentation. Here's another simple little one I made today.
I am the dude who pauses the level to hear the new level music. Also, backroutes are the best routes.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My first level ever.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »
I merged the 2 topics: My first/second level ever.

Maybe rename the topic to "Levels by Hypotenuse" where you can gather your creations. :)

Offline Hypotenuse

• View Profile
Re: Hypotenuse's first levels ever
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 04:55:34 AM »
Take another 5 levels!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:16:51 AM by Simon »

Offline Hypotenuse

• View Profile
Re: Hypotenuse's first levels ever.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 11:29:49 PM »
Another 2 levels. These are interesting. I actually do not think a backroute is at all possible on either, so if you find one, do tell. Had a ton of fun making the first one. The second one is just a silly nonsense level that nevertheless requires at least a little bit of thought.