Author Topic: [ALL PLATFORMS] Pause-free Challenge [PF]  (Read 36227 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [AMIGA] Pause-free Playthroughs
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 11:39:15 AM »
Take #9 seems a little prematurely abandoned?  The dig pit you wound up with did not break through the floor.  It is a bit deeper than intended, but seems like maybe that can be compensated by having the climber dig down a little before bashing right?

I felt I didn't have full control over the minimap in that take, or in previous takes for that matter; I kept mis-clicking it or not quite getting the part of the screen that I actually wanted. I wanted the successful take to be as bloop-free as possible, so from that point on I concentrated harder when clicking the minimap. This turned out to be instrumental in getting that final take, as it happened only a couple of tries later!

In DOS/Amiga Lemmings there is actually a trick you can use to help with certain cases of directional assign

I'm very familiar with the flickering-cursor trick; indeed, it's my go-to for direction select on the Amiga. I explain and demonstrate the trick in my Amiga/NeoLemmix LP episode on Direction Select.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2020, 01:19:29 AM »
I had a go at this challenge using DOSBOX, and the only one that really gave me fits was Mayhem 15.  The digger pits at the beginning required some quick transitions on opposite sides of the level.  I got most of the others pretty quickly.  I don't have any videos, but I thought I'd share my number of attempts for each level and describe a few of my own bloopers:

Wicked 4: 4 tries for 98%.  My second attempt "failed" while I was trying to rescue the last group, but the funny part is I had already saved enough lemmings from the other hatches to pass the level, so I had to reenter the level code to try again!

Havoc 9: First try

Mayhem 11: 3 tries.  My first attempt goes in the blooper hall-of-fame: I clicked on the first lemming as he approached the end of the platform, only to watch him continue to walk right off the edge.  I then looked at my skill panel and saw that I had never switched to Digger!  In all honesty, though, I found this one to be a piece of cake if you set the release rate to 50-55 and just assign diggers to every other lemming.

Mayhem 15: 11 tries for 100% (in under 2 minutes, to satisfy Amiga requirements).  My most comical failure was when I tried to quickly switch from Builder to Digger, and ended up pausing by mistake, as that icon is right next to the digger icon.

Mayhem 4: First try (100%)

Mayhem 21: First try, and yes I did make the first lemming a Climber.  After that he only needs to be assigned four skills, and only one of those assignments needed to be made as a lemming was coming out of the hatch.  Fortunately I saw this coming and was prepared for it.

Mayhem 20: Second try (the first try failed when I assigned the final miner too late and he mined under the exit instead of through the top of the bridge.)

Havoc 7: 5 tries for 100%.  The successful attempt almost resulted in a comical failure when I nearly forgot to assign climbers to the group that needed to climb to the exit.  Fortunately I caught it just in time and managed to spam-click on everyone.

Havoc 12: 2 tries for 100%.  I had a total mental lapse right off the bat in my first attempt, forgetting that the first lemming cannot simply drop down to the pedestal; he needs to build there!

Havoc 20: I saved 85% on the first try.  If not for two mistimed bombers, I would have had the maximum 88%.  It helped that I had played this level recently and remembered exactly where the first bomber had to be set to keep everyone away from the lizard trap.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2020, 02:28:52 AM »
Great stuff LemSteven, well done on the results and thanks for taking part in the challenge!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:46:09 AM by WillLem »

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2020, 06:26:51 PM »
Still want more suggestions? Try "Presents Of Mind" & "Presents Of Mind II", from Holiday Lemmings 93 (Flurry 12 and Blizzard 8, respectively) :laugh:

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »
Still want more suggestions? Try "Presents Of Mind" & "Presents Of Mind II", from Holiday Lemmings 93 (Flurry 12 and Blizzard 8, respectively) :laugh:

Thanks Ron_Stard, I've added these to the list. I'll do these as one video probably!

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2020, 11:35:41 PM »
I liked your solution WillLem for the (No added colours or lemmings) yes I think that could be describe as a different solution. You actually done quite well with that one as you can do that one without pausing. One idea I had was once you use the blocker make one of the lemmings a climber but do this as you are about to dig under the blocker. the climber will turn around because of the blocker and and climb up the wall to the left and that means you have a good chance to have a lone lemming for when it comes for the lone lemming to mine the bridge.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2020, 12:21:45 AM »
I liked your solution WillLem for the (No added colours or lemmings) yes I think that could be describe as a different solution. You actually done quite well with that one as you can do that one without pausing. One idea I had was once you use the blocker make one of the lemmings a climber but do this as you are about to dig under the blocker. the climber will turn around because of the blocker and and climb up the wall to the left and that means you have a good chance to have a lone lemming for when it comes for the lone lemming to mine the bridge.

Thanks grams88, I appreciate it! Also: that's a brilliant idea, I didn't think of that! I might film that solution as another bonus ending to the video and credit you for it if that's OK with you?

Are you on Discord btw?

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2020, 05:49:53 AM »
No not on discord, I hear discord is quite good.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2020, 11:58:06 AM »
Thanks for the credit, hope that solution works out okay.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2020, 06:59:51 PM »
This challenge reminds me of the fact that in Acorm Archimedes Lemmings there is no apparent hotkey for Pause; the only possible way to pause the game is via mouse. So playing Lemmings in the Acorn Archimedes it's a challenge itself!

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2020, 10:12:55 PM »
Thanks for the credit, hope that solution works out okay.

Now re-re-uploaded this one with a bonus playthrough of grams88's suggested solution:

Mayhem 20 No Added Colours or Lemmings

Challenge Difficulty: Hard
Number of Attempts: 4

The video features the successful attempt, plus a bonus explanation of the level's challenge solution! :lemcat:

Plus, enjoy these new additions to the challenge playlist:

Flurry 12 Presents of Mind and Blizzard 8 Presents of Mind II

Challenge Difficulty: Easy-Medium
Number of Attempts: 1 and 7, respectively

The video features the successful attempt, plus a bonus explanation of the levels' challenge solutions and some bloopers for fun! :lemcat:

Tricky 19 Postcard From Lemmingland

Featuring both mine and Proxima's solutions to this level.

Challenge Difficulty: Easy-Medium
Number of Attempts: 1 and 4, respectively

The video features the successful attempt, plus a bonus explanation of the levels' challenge solutions and some bloopers for fun! :lemcat:

Tricky 22 Turn Around Young Lemmings! 100% Solution

Number of Attempts: 13

The video features the successful attempt, plus a bonus explanation of the level's challenge solutions and some bloopers for fun! :lemcat:

Tricky 24 Tightrope City 100% Solution

Challenge Difficulty: Medium
Number of Attempts: 6

The video features the successful attempt, plus a bonus explanation of the level's challenge solutions and some bloopers for fun! :lemcat:

And, perhaps the flagship entry to this challenge so far...

Tricky 25 Cascade 100% Solution

Challenge Difficulty: Extremely Hard
Number of Attempts: 30+

The video features the successful attempt :lemcat:

PLUS! A bonus video featuring the outtakes from the Cascade play session, and the various misfires/discoveries leading to the final solution:

Offline MASTER-88

• Professional lemmings player and videogame master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2020, 04:05:15 PM »
This is actually quite interesting thread. I think this might work also SNES version. I personally think Sunsoft Special 3 (called name private room is available) might really hard without pausing. I already think its impossible, but when i got use my max point strategy its might be possible. Its probably hardest level non pausing.

About Mayhem 21. I think its very easy if you releaserated and let all lemmings fall down with floaters and make last lemmings will be worker. There is a lot time to make this.

EDIT:
If you peolples are interested i might try game completion guide (non max-%) make without pausing my real SNES system.

EDIT:
Very good job about Cascade and Fast food Kitchen. Always think those levels will be hard.

I might ask how much % you can make Mayhem 10 Pillar of Hercules. Im sure 73/75 never happen but 71/75 might possible, probably 72/75 lemmings.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:12:04 PM by MASTER-88 »
Video games player.
See my youtube: Several games videos includes lemmings
http://www.youtube.com/user/metroidmaster88?feature=mhum

My Huge Lemmings Projects

Lemmings Custom + Triology 394 Levels
Custom +1 (120 Levels)
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5840.0
Custom +2 (124 Levels)
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5993.0
Custom +3 (150 Levels)
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6014.0
Amiga Classic Special (30 Levels)
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6345.0

My SNES Lemmings MAX Points Project
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4539.0

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2020, 08:32:37 PM »
About Mayhem 21. I think its very easy if you releaserated and let all lemmings fall down with floaters and make last lemmings will be worker. There is a lot time to make this.

Thanks for your interest in the thread MASTER-88! I know I could have made the level a lot easier by doing this, my choice was to deliberately leave the release rate low so that it would be a challenge to skip between assignments. Otherwise, this level would probably have been one of the easiest in the challenge!

If you peolples are interested i might try game completion guide (non max-%) make without pausing my real SNES system.

Sure, by all means join in the challenge on the SNES. It'd be great to see the footage if you have a way of recording it, otherwise just let us know your results.

I might ask how much % you can make Mayhem 10 Pillar of Hercules. Im sure 73/75 never happen but 71/75 might possible, probably 72/75 lemmings.

Great suggestion, I'll add it to the list. :thumbsup:

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2020, 11:55:12 PM »
Wicked 11 ROCKY ROAD (2 solutions)

Number of Attempts: 3 and 12 respectively

The video features the successful attempts of both mine and IchoTolot's solutions, plus an explanation of and outtakes from each solution.

Tricky 26 I Have a Cunning Plan

Challenge Difficulty: Medium
Number of Attempts: 1

The video features the successful attempt.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2020, 01:22:18 PM »
Wicked 11 ROCKY ROAD (2 solutions)

Number of Attempts: 3 and 12 respectively

The video features the successful attempts of both mine and IchoTolot's solutions, plus an explanation of and outtakes from each solution.

I think I've never used the second solution. There is very little time left!