Author Topic: EXPERIMENTAL BUILD: Jumper  (Read 11575 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: EXPERIMENTAL BUILD: Jumper
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 11:07:45 PM »
Uploaded an update that fixes both the shadow bug and the error message.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2020, 08:02:37 AM »
I got the latest update but I'm also getting this (slightly different) error when a lemming jump/climbs onto an edge.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:54:16 PM by NieSch »
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2020, 01:52:35 PM »
I haven't updated yet precisely because I want to avoid such ingame errors, but so far, Jumpers don't seem to interact with one-way fields - when jumping towards a one-way field with force in the opposite direction, Jumpers just go right through them without turning around.

This is surprising, because when doing the same with Blockers, the Jumper turns as expected. ???
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2020, 08:51:21 PM »
Both of the above issues should be fixed in the update uploaded just now. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2020, 07:25:20 AM »
:thumbsup:

V4 of "Jolly Jumpers". Difficulty: hard.

My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2020, 03:11:29 PM »
Finally got around to making my first jumper level!

I get the error "Invalid pointer operation." when trying to load it; I'm using a custom style, wonder if that has anything to do with it...?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2020, 08:09:50 PM »
I wouldn't think a custom style alone would break it. If you send the NXLV file and the style (if it's not your existing one) over, I'm happy to take a look and try to figure it out - though no promises on the "when" (in the sense of "it might be in a few days rather than today", not in the sense of "I might get back to you in a month").
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2020, 01:58:23 AM »
(in the sense of "it might be in a few days rather than today", not in the sense of "I might get back to you in a month").

:crylaugh:

Brillsies, here you go. Thanks for taking a look!

(Updated level and style in this post)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 01:51:11 AM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2020, 10:27:50 PM »
You're getting that error because your custom lemming sprites in that style lack a Jumper sprite. Although there's still a bug here: NL should be falling back to the default lemmings and giving a warning; not crashing.

(EDIT: It looks like this might be what it would actually do in a release build. Because this is an experimental build, it tends to report certain errors that the release builds wouldn't - but if you click through them, it should still eventually load the default sprites.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2020, 01:24:57 AM »
You're getting that error because your custom lemming sprites in that style lack a Jumper sprite.

Ah, yes - that makes sense.

However, I still get the error even if I set the level's theme to one of the defaults...

EDIT: Hmm, wierldy, I don't seem to have default jumper sprites either!

EDIT 2: I re-added the jumper sprites from the V5 zip and the level works now! :thumbsup:

For best results, play the level in hi-res mode.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:08:30 AM by WillLem »

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2020, 08:50:05 AM »
Fun fact: When you have Glider-Climbers jump towards a wall, they will only hold on to it if they hit the wall before they'vr reached the top of the curve - because that's where they get out their Glider sail, and once they're a Glider, they bounce off the wall instead of holding on to it.

This is of course completely consistent with how both skills behave, so this shouldn't be changed. It's just something you have to keep in mind. I only noticed this due to the skill shadow looking a little weird when compared to a regular Jumper or Climber-Jumper. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2020, 06:48:09 AM »
@NieSch
Found a backroute. ;P
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2020, 07:44:29 AM »
Wow, that's a brilliant backroute. :)

This V5 fixes it. But can you find another one? (Probably yes.:P)

I've also attached a second level that features the (experimental) jumper. Level name: Thin Blue Lines. Difficulty: medium.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:55:00 PM by NieSch »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2020, 06:58:42 PM »
To save me going through the whole topic again: Is anyone aware of any remaining bugs / etc that need attention?
My Lemmings projects

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2020, 08:08:20 PM »
No problems here.