Author Topic: Building into a builder bridge to turn the lem around  (Read 3129 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Building into a builder bridge to turn the lem around
« on: April 09, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »
I'm editing the OP because I've since had the mechanics explained to me, so I think it best for this post to exist as a demonstration:

Situation 1: Lemming A builds, Lemming B builds immediately behind lemming A's bridge:

RESULT: Lemming B does not turn, and simply builds a bridge immediately behind Lemming A's bridge.

Situation 2: Lemmings A builds, Lemming B builds directly on top of Lemming A's bridge, creating a 2px "wall" at the start of the build structure. Lemming C builds into that structure:

RESULT: Lemming C builds 1 brick, then turns.

Situation 3: At the correct release rate, Lemming A builds, Lemming B walks over Lemming A's bridge and immediately begins building as soon as he steps off the bridge:

RESULT: Lemming B builds 1 brick, then his terrain check is activated by Lemming A's bridge (still being built behind and above him), so he turns.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:16:39 PM by WillLem »

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Do you mean the trick where you dig into the Builder bridge? ;)

This one goes like this:

- build a couple of steps
- wait till the Builder lays down a brick, but then dig before he steps up onto that same brick
- now a 1-pixel-remnant of the staircase remains on the side in which the Builder is looking
- build against that 1-pixel staircase remnant to turn the lemming around

As it happens, just yesterday I thought of the fact that I need to update the pre-level text of my Lemmings-World-Tour level that is supposed to teach this trick to the player (Noisemaker 08, "Glide and joy"). So far, the pre-level text is supposed to set them up to discover it for themselves, i.e. give enough of a hint without spoiling it. But I've been thinking for a while now that it was too obscure of a hint, especially given it's just the 8th level of the entire pack, which I most certainly don't want to be an early roadblock.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Do you mean the trick where you dig into the Builder bridge? ;)

Yes, this would work!

I found the thing I was thinking of anyways. Proxima used the trick as part of his solution to my Lemmings Recurring version of One Way Digging To Freedom, I managed to find the replay he sent.

His variation involved bashing into the bridge to create a large enough dent in it that could then be built into in order to turn the lem around. Similar idea tho.

I think I was misremembering it as the 2nd builder simply building into an existing bridge, but no: the part of the bridge that's being built into needs to be at least 2px higher than the lem's foot position.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
On DOS Lemmings you can do it by setting the RR to 87, but I don't think the trick works in NeoLemmix.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Building into a builder bridge to turn the lem around
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 12:18:50 AM »
Restored the deleted thread because other people have posted.

To retract stuff in the original post, you can use the strikethrough formatting. (You can't delete entire first posts without deleting the thread.)

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 07:40:55 AM »
On DOS Lemmings you can do it by setting the RR to 87, but I don't think the trick works in NeoLemmix.

It should still work with an NeoLemmix-equivalent release rate.   Maybe I misunderstand the specific trick you're referring to.

Anyway, I replied back with some details about builder-turning-builder on this other thread.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:47:29 PM by Simon »

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »
:-[ It does work in NeoLemmix (equivalent RR is 93). I have no idea why I thought it didn't before. (Replay recorded on Fun 7.)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 02:04:46 PM »
I think I was misremembering it as the 2nd builder simply building into an existing bridge, but no: the part of the bridge that's being built into needs to be at least 2px higher than the lem's foot position.

Yes, there is also a trick involving two Builders, the second one steps over the first two steps of the first one, and then builds against the staircase of the first one from below.

This works best if the staircase is literally still in its early steps. But it definitely only works while the staircase of the first Builder is still in-creation, because the first Builder still needs to put one brick above and slightly in front of the position where the second lemming falls from that first bridge - since that's the earliest spot where the second lemming can start building, with the goal of bumping his head on the first Builder's staircase above him.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 12:55:40 PM »
:-[ It does work in NeoLemmix (equivalent RR is 93)

Yes, there is also a trick involving two Builders, the second one steps over the first two steps of the first one, and then builds against the staircase of the first one from below.

Proxima demonstrates that trick in his RR 93 replay. It's the same trick that's used for Mary Poppins' Land 100%.

P.S. I've now edited the OP so that this thread exists as a demonstration of the mechanic.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:10:45 PM by WillLem »